Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:33   #1381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Spitfire, if something goes wrong during IPL (terror attacks), it will be a big shame for our country, foreign investments will be impacted, economy will suffer!
And the Govt will be condemned to death!
One small question. What is the government there for then?

They agree they cant guarantee the security of its citizens?

Quote:
So for the Govt which is preoccupied with Elections, it is certainly not worth the risk.
Agree. But when PC says 'IPL is a shrewd combination of Business and Cricket' is he really talking elections and the security?

This is nothing but an ego clash. PC is not happy with the IPL commissioners popularity. Why? Try and find out...

Elections is just an excuse, they are stopping it because they want to show they can and Modi is taking it abroad because he wants to show even he can.

We the dumb populace watch on.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:53   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
One small question. What is the government there for then?

They agree they cant guarantee the security of its citizens?
If you have a private party, sell tickets, make a fortune & you want the state troops to provide security, then you better do it at a time when they can give it in full earnest. If not, shut your bottom & fall in line, the money can be made anytime. Be a responsible citizen first, enjoy your cricket later.

It is just this craziness inside all of us fans that the IPL is playing with. I hope they lose this time. I am for India, not for IPL.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:59   #1383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If you have a private party, sell tickets, make a fortune & you want the state troops to provide security, then you better do it at a time when they can give it in full earnest. If not, shut your bottom & fall in line, the money can be made anytime. Be a responsible citizen first, enjoy your cricket later.
Its not a house party sir. LOL.

BCCI is led by you know who. That someone is a friend/enemy (to be used interchangeably) of you know who.

Note: I agree to the elections over IPL. I am arguing the stupid comment of PC.

PS: About shutting up and falling in line you dont have a choice do you
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:20   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not a house party sir. LOL.
It sounds more like it is.

Quote:
BCCI is led by you know who. That someone is a friend/enemy (to be used interchangeably) of you know who.
I don't understand that.

Quote:
PS: About shutting up and falling in line you dont have a choice do you
Well, why not use private security if entertaining the fans is the most important thing for IPL.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:26   #1385
Senior - BHPian

IPl's main aim is to make money at any cost. Period.
I feel govt thinks IPL may divert Indian people towards cricket and noone will bother about elections and thats why all this politics is going on.

Situation will be funny if it is played in SA or ENG. Imagine a match going on at Lords and someone asks me who you supporting, My ans - Well i was going to support Delhi Daredevils but its on Lords so am thinking anyone will do as its a EPL mate so who cares
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:38   #1386
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I don't understand that.
You are spinning this into me being for IPL during elections and you the responsible citizen. LOL. Thats not the case.

I was replying to the stupid comment made by PC.

Sorry but i dont want to take this forward.

You win.

Last edited by Spitfire : 23rd March 2009 at 18:41.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:21   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I can never feel sorry for Lalith Modi & Co. IPL has got nothing to do with the game but everything to do with money. Its my firm opinion that the para military forces should not be provided free of cost to the likes of IPL etc when BCCI makes so much money and god only knows spends on what. Let them pay for the security like the way EPL & FA pays for the work done by the English police in maintaining security in and around the Football stadiums.

Who told you they dont?

FYI the respective boards PAY for the police protection and security- ALWAYS - IPL or no IPL!! This is true for anyone wanting to conduct anything and is pretty much a part of the police clearance formalities! The money is calculated based on a combination of the nature of event, number of forces required, period of deployment, nature of duties etc!

Its is impossible to fathom (and swallow) that a simple thing like a sports tourney during a general election can potentially paralyse the home dept!

1. This decision is POLITICAL BRINKMANSHIP and has NOTHING to do with reality!

2. I hate to be thinking about the message that is being sent out/perceived!
3. As a patriotic Indian, I feel disgusted with this decision! The current govt has definitely lost my confidence!

DISCLAIMER : The statements above are based on facts. I have absolutely NO political affiliations/leanings whatsoever!

Last edited by kb100 : 23rd March 2009 at 19:37.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:34   #1388
Senior - BHPian

IPL has to wait if they want it to be held in India. Elections is not a joke in a country of our size and population. One of the reasons why elections are staggered is to have better co-ordination and security leading to more peaceful polling.

IPL is a sports cum business venture. No two ways about it. Even if IPL is paying for the security it gets, every state or the centre has the right to say what their priority is.

Unfortunately Lalit is caught between the devil and the deep sea. The T20 WC starts in June. So the IPL has to be before that or not at all.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:55   #1389
BANNED

Intially: Commissioner of Police, Bangalore city, Shankar Bidri said that the organizers of the Indian Premier League will have to make security arrangements on their own when matches are played in Bangalore during the elections.

When asked about the security arrangements during the IPL, he said that the city police is not in a position to provide security to the cricket matches at the time of the elections. No security for IPL in Bangalore

Later: "Our government was ready to provide security to IPL matches in Bangalore. Our police had already communicated the decision to organisers. But the UPA failed in this regard," Minister for Transport R Ashok told a press conference here. The Hindu News Update Service

Looks like the Commissioner of Police over-estimated the security requirements and transport minister got it right.

Quote:
Elections is just an excuse, they are stopping it because they want to show they can and Modi is taking it abroad because he wants to show even he can.
Old 23rd March 2009, 22:25   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Looks like the Commissioner of Police over-estimated the security requirements and transport minister got it right.
Would the Bangalore Police Commissioner know more about the Security requirements OR a Minister of Transport (who has no idea of the Law & order affairs of the state)?
Old 24th March 2009, 14:28   #1391
BANNED

After Dravid, its Ganguly turn now - McCullum set to replace Ganguly as KKR skipper
Old 24th March 2009, 14:34   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After Dravid, its Ganguly turn now - McCullum set to replace Ganguly as KKR skipper
Slight difference - Dravid was sacked, Ganguly is opting out.
Old 24th March 2009, 14:40   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is just a rumour! Courtesy: Times of India
Old 24th March 2009, 22:53   #1394
Senior - BHPian

South Africa to host IPL
Cricinfo - South Africa to host IPL
Old 25th March 2009, 14:58   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Ganguly has been dropped from captaincy of Knight Riders!

Edit: Coach Buchanan has apparently mooted the concept of having multiple captains. Obviously here is one man who has not heard the adage 'Too many cooks spoil the broth'

Last edited by kb100 : 25th March 2009 at 15:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks