Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 19:48   #211
Senior - BHPian

No.. Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i absolutely agree to dhabhar that its all about personal taste. and i also frankly admit that i dont prefer such a scorpio. but 1 thing is for sure, i would definetely give it a second glance if i see this one on the road.
and such a butch look would inspire me to terrorize all the puny cars on the road!
Raj,

I agree, any fitting is of personal taste. If one has to fit a man-size fog lamp, the crash guard is a must. Has been wrecking my brian how to get one in front, specially if I make the Leh trip, no other alternative than to rig up a crash guard. Any suggestions?

And bro......no thank you for the terriorizing part, ... I would be driving an Alto to Cochin tomorrow morning.... if I see any Scorp tail-gating me, it would be you?

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th July 2008 at 19:51.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:11   #212
Senior - BHPian

hey ramkya, i think fitting the lights on a guard would be the best bet. else you would have to drill holes in your bumper and fix the lights permanently there which i dont recommend. and how about lights on the roof? will look awesome ha.
well my native is kerela but i am from mumbai and not planning any trip too soon. so i am not gonna tail gate you atleast tomorrow... have a nice trip.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:29   #213
Senior - BHPian

btw, today i saw an automatic transmission scorpio on the eastern express highway. sorry about the lack of pics. the car was being tested by mahindra. it has huge stylish decals on both sides shouting "AUTOMATIC"...
any idea on when it will be launched. i remember reading somewhere that it will be a six speed auto but cosidering costs, i think mahindra will offer a 5 speed version.
also, i am very keen to know how mahindra prices the scorpio hybrid after honda ridiculously priced the civic hybrid at 21 lakhs!
Old 18th July 2008, 20:38   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
any idea on when it will be launched. i remember reading somewhere that it will be a six speed auto

Its for their US operations.
Old 18th July 2008, 23:05   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its for their US operations.
Yes the dealership told me that the AT version is available only for 'export'. Would have been nice to have the option available here, considering the VLX has cruise....and practically everytihg else.
Old 19th July 2008, 09:34   #216
Senior - BHPian

absolutely right mohnish, i would be glad to see an A/T scorpio on indian roads though i am not sure how many would actually prefer it over a manual as auto trannys rarely sell in the indian market except the civic A/T.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:13   #217
BHPian

Quote:
... A/T scorpio on indian roads though i am not sure how many would actually prefer it over a manual as auto trannys rarely sell in the indian market ...
Yep !!! For me an AT anytime, specially with our driving conditions.

While on the thought...(though this would be another thread altogether, in the mods forum, but any how)...how about getting a hold of the M&M Scorpio AT tranny from 'somewhere' (???) and fitting it in to our machines...Interesting mod and would most likely be a direct 'fit'.

Or on the other hand, getting say an old used AT tranny (a sturdy one like a Benz) and modifying the Scorpio ...

I guess it would mean what ... ?

(a) Fabricating an adapter to mesh the engine housing to the new tranny.
(b) Adjusted gear mount
(c) A modified (length adjusted) drive shaft.
(d) An additinal cooling unit near the radiator for the tranny oil to cool.
(e) A whole lot of Hope and Good Luck !!!

Sounds easy...yeah right !!!

What say ???
Old 20th July 2008, 13:14   #218
Senior - BHPian

Ramki,

If you are averse to installing the crash-guard, then how about some decent roof lights like this -

All T-BHP Scorpio Owners with Pics of their SUV-scorprooflights.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Raj,

I agree, any fitting is of personal taste. If one has to fit a man-size fog lamp, the crash guard is a must. Has been wrecking my brian how to get one in front, specially if I make the Leh trip, no other alternative than to rig up a crash guard. Any suggestions?

And bro......no thank you for the terriorizing part, ... I would be driving an Alto to Cochin tomorrow morning.... if I see any Scorp tail-gating me, it would be you?

--Ramky
Old 20th July 2008, 13:17   #219
Senior - BHPian

Drilling holes in plastic/fibre bumper. The lights will fall off eventually...

Quote:
hey ramkya, i think fitting the lights on a guard would be the best bet. else you would have to drill holes in your bumper and fix the lights permanently there which i dont recommend. and how about lights on the roof?
Old 20th July 2008, 13:18   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
My Scorpio picture is here. What I want to make of it is given in the modifications and accessories section in the thread - "Custom paint job for a black Scorpio". Please do let me have your comments.
Nice and neat - it looks best without the skirts, wheelcaps, sidesteps and other add-ons. I'm sure this one has some interesting stuff in the engine bay, too.

@gd - I thought of the roof rail too, but it seems this setup is frowned upon in other parts of India. Trucks are free to use six headlamps, but personal vehicles with additional lights are immediately picked on.

Last edited by Steeroid : 20th July 2008 at 13:19.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

At last the left foot gets the much needed rest

Retrofitting an auto tranny is not advisable. Fabricating another A/T tranny to suit Scorpio is too time consuming, expensive and fraught with risks..

Theoretically and on paper it does sound easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Yep !!! For me an AT anytime, specially with our driving conditions.

While on the thought...(though this would be another thread altogether, in the mods forum, but any how)...how about getting a hold of the M&M Scorpio AT tranny from 'somewhere' (???) and fitting it in to our machines...Interesting mod and would most likely be a direct 'fit'.

Or on the other hand, getting say an old used AT tranny (a sturdy one like a Benz) and modifying the Scorpio ...

I guess it would mean what ... ?

(a) Fabricating an adapter to mesh the engine housing to the new tranny.
(b) Adjusted gear mount
(c) A modified (length adjusted) drive shaft.
(d) An additinal cooling unit near the radiator for the tranny oil to cool.
(e) A whole lot of Hope and Good Luck !!!

Sounds easy...yeah right !!!

What say ???
Old 20th July 2008, 13:27   #222
Senior - BHPian

Right Steer, and I believe in Chandigarh they are banned. If you don't cover them, then probably the vehicle shall be impounded. I don't know in what all other states it is frowned upon.

But the irony is, if you install a crash guard and mount big fog/rallye lights, that's ok, shift the same to the roof and you are in the dock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
@gd - I thought of the roof rail too, but it seems this setup is frowned upon in other parts of India. Trucks are free to use six headlamps, but personal vehicles with additional lights are immediately picked on.
Old 20th July 2008, 13:46   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
...Theoretically and on paper it does sound easy..
Yep gd1418, Theoretically and on paper everything does sound easy, until you get your hands greasy and the back hurts from bending into the engine bay ....!!! and then you realise you aren't as young as you used to be!!!

All the same...the best option is to hope for M&M to give the AT option right here (where they build it in the first place)...Wonder why they don't?
Old 20th July 2008, 16:52   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drilling holes in plastic/fibre bumper. The lights will fall off eventually...
thats the reason i said i dont recommend it. even i believe it would not be sturdy but a friend of mine has done this in his tavera and is facing no problems. though the best would be to fit it on a guard.

Quote:
But the irony is, if you install a crash guard and mount big fog/rallye lights, that's ok, shift the same to the roof and you are in the dock...
maybe its because it may blind oncoming traffic instantly because of the height at which it is placed.
Old 20th July 2008, 18:17   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Right Steer, and I believe in Chandigarh they are banned. If you don't cover them, then probably the vehicle shall be impounded. I don't know in what all other states it is frowned upon.

Not sure about this, but I think the rule (generally followed or as per the book) is that any addition lights need to be fitted below the level of the original headlights. That could be why the nudge guard mounted lights are OK and roof mounted lights are not.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks