BHPian

I believe that by year end we will be close to 6000
Old 10th June 2012, 21:53   #2027
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post
Ho this thread goes silent when the markets go down

Come on people, make this thread lively again!
In fact, anyone in Pune upto a quick market meet in or around Fatimanagar, NIBM, wanowrie?

We could all share experiences, and I could find ears to listen to my woes
Altaf
Hi.
It is good of you to bump up this thread.Let us hope others contribute.
Let us hope Reliance picks up and that would help the index.However at the present moment not many analysts are gung ho about it.
Regards
Old 11th June 2012, 09:10   #2028
BANNED

Top pick of the day, Union Bank of India. Target price 219.50, stop loss at 212.00
Company had very good results in 2011-2012 and has declared dividend of 8.00 Rs. per share.
Old 11th June 2012, 20:19   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Altaf
Hi.
It is good of you to bump up this thread.Let us hope others contribute.
Let us hope Reliance picks up and that would help the index.However at the present moment not many analysts are gung ho about it.
Regards
Helll Faustus77, I think its high time that people realised that scrips are now more dangerous than the Index itself.
Every day, this or that news makes individual companies do an item number on your quote screen.
Its really now a thing of the past that you studied balance sheets, Eps, pe ratios etc and at the end of a few years made money.

For the last 4 years, no investor ( am talking about the average ) has made money.

Inputs anyone?
Old 11th June 2012, 21:37   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Helll Faustus77, I think its high time that people realised that scrips are now more dangerous than the Index itself.

For the last 4 years, no investor ( am talking about the average ) has made money.

Inputs anyone?

[] I am sure some of the BH crowd made money in individual stocks but by and large your statement is correct. The last 4 years have been a nightmare for the BH types.

[] The problem with you is - you talk sense. So why am I calling that a problem? Something wrong with me? No. Unfortunately people want to blame everything and everyone but themselves.They do not like to listen to sense.

I will give you an example. A friend got news from someone a tech company was doing very well - not fly by night kind of outfit but a very respectable name. The stock was tanking big time. Now was the news wrong? I don't know! Wait! Maybe the market is wrong and has it's head so far up it's derriere it does not know the F of fundamentals! Anyway NET NET my friend was and is losing big money. Maybe he should have listened to the market and not fallen in love with the stock and seen the continuously falling price as a warning sign. But then had he done that, how could he say the market is all messed up and it does not listen to reason.
Old 11th June 2012, 22:38   #2031
BHPian

Altaf Petiwala
Hi
Not many have made money in the stock market in the last,I would say 2 years rather than 4 years,as there are some who would have booked profits in oct/nov 2010.
At the same time those who invested in scrips like Nestle,Asian Paints,Marico,Colgate etc would be sitting on good profits as these are a few of the scrips which are touching new highs.Even TCS has been doing well.And some scrips like Honda motors,BOC,GSFC etc have not fallen much from their peaks.
Regards
Old 12th June 2012, 00:20   #2032

Quote:
Altaf Petiwala
Hi
Not many have made money in the stock market in the last,I would say 2 years rather than 4 years,as there are some who would have booked profits in oct/nov 2010.
At the same time those who invested in scrips like Nestle,Asian Paints,Marico,Colgate etc would be sitting on good profits as these are a few of the scrips which are touching new highs.Even TCS has been doing well.And some scrips like Honda motors,BOC,GSFC etc have not fallen much from their peaks.
Regards
My friend, very few people have invested in the above names, because all the media channels have been hyping infrastructure and construction 2 years back. Everybody and their neighbours got pulled into these sectors. They have suffered the most.

The names you have mentioned, are a part of most portfolios, but sadly, the key word here is a "part".

The main chunk has gone into the current hot sectors over the last few years, and people have been left high and dry.

Sadly, the mutual funds industry has also by and large, not performed as per expectations.

Numerous people have discontinued theor SIP's, thereby nullifying the very essence of the SIP, viz, buying in at all times.

But the funny part is that, no one is complaining, as the decline has been over a long period, and its like the case of the frog put in a vessel over fire.

Since the water is heating up slowly, the frog is adjusting to it, and after some time, it dies in it.

Similarly, the markets are slowly and steadily grinding down, and the investors have decided not to look at their portfolios at all.

Ostrich head in the sand proverb.

In short, people are hurt, but no one is complaining, as the fall has been spread over a few years.

Had it been like one down circuit, you would have a hard time counting horror stories. The losses would have been the same as in this longer decline, but the time frame would have been a shocker.
Old 12th June 2012, 20:38   #2033
BHPian

Altaf
Hi
Very well put specially the slow death.
It is the same like the burden of every Indian.A bit of this tax,a bit of that and litlle hike in oil price and a little service tax increase and bang,you are paying much more than what you were paying some time back.
Incidentally,as I had pointed out in one of my earlier posts,the analysts have also gone wrong by a huge margin.I gave the example of Colgate and ACC.Both have the highest recommended sells and yet they were touching new highs.
Regards
Old 13th June 2012, 10:26   #2034

Quote:
Altaf
Hi
Very well put specially the slow death.
It is the same like the burden of every Indian.A bit of this tax,a bit of that and litlle hike in oil price and a little service tax increase and bang,you are paying much more than what you were paying some time back.
Incidentally,as I had pointed out in one of my earlier posts,the analysts have also gone wrong by a huge margin.I gave the example of Colgate and ACC.Both have the highest recommended sells and yet they were touching new highs.
Regards
In India, analysts can say anything and get away with it. There is no accountability.

They should be held accountable for the calls they make.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:54   #2035
BHPian

Re: DVR Shares?

What are these DVR shares? Can one go for it? I am looking at Jain Irrigation and Tata Motors DVR shares, and they are going at more than 60% discount to the ordinary shares.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:30   #2036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend, very few people have invested in the above names, because all the media channels have been hyping infrastructure and construction 2 years back. Everybody and their neighbours got pulled into these sectors. They have suffered the most.

The names you have mentioned, are a part of most portfolios, but sadly, the key word here is a "part".

The main chunk has gone into the current hot sectors over the last few years, and people have been left high and dry.

Sadly, the mutual funds industry has also by and large, not performed as per expectations.

Numerous people have discontinued theor SIP's, thereby nullifying the very essence of the SIP, viz, buying in at all times.

But the funny part is that, no one is complaining, as the decline has been over a long period, and its like the case of the frog put in a vessel over fire.

Since the water is heating up slowly, the frog is adjusting to it, and after some time, it dies in it.

Similarly, the markets are slowly and steadily grinding down, and the investors have decided not to look at their portfolios at all.

Ostrich head in the sand proverb.

In short, people are hurt, but no one is complaining, as the fall has been spread over a few years.

Had it been like one down circuit, you would have a hard time counting horror stories. The losses would have been the same as in this longer decline, but the time frame would have been a shocker.
If there were a thank button, I'd have pressed it for this post. Surfeit of business channels all doling out free advice trying to make you a lakhpathi if you are a crorepathi and pauper if you are lakhpathi. I'd rather spend it on something I like, than "invest" in this. Bourses=Horse Race's both work well if you have the 'correct' insider info. One suggestion why not go to Macau or Las Vegas and gamble in style, instead. Suppose you thought well and bought a stock after great scrutiny and some 'nut' plants a bomb say in NY or London, then your well thought out stock will be worth 'less than peanuts' for a long time to come.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 21st June 2012 at 12:34.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:03   #2037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What are these DVR shares? Can one go for it? I am looking at Jain Irrigation and Tata Motors DVR shares, and they are going at more than 60% discount to the ordinary shares.
DVR = Differential Voting Rights.

As a shareholder of DVRs, you do not get any voting rights. Instead, the company gives you slightly (like 5% extra) more dividend (most of the time).

DVR shares will always trade at a huge discount to ordinary shares because FIIs, banks, Mutual Funds, Insurance companies etc generally avoid investing in them - they like to have voting rights.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:19   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Hi
Tata Motors DVR is not at a 60% discount.
Todays(21/06) closing price rs 248 and for DVR is rs 142 so it is available at 57%+.A few weeks earlier I had written about it and at that time it was available at about 52% or thereabout.
AFAIK you get a better dividend yield on this DVR.Money control.com does not show dividend yield but in the Economic Times(2/3 days back) saw a book closure date for dividend and it was the same.Recheck in the archives of the newspaper and it would be on the market intelligence page.
Regards
PS Absolutely no idea about Jain.
Old 29th June 2012, 16:00   #2039

Come on guys, get together to discuss trading, and trading systems. Why is the Pune scene so dull in this regard?

We could meet up in NIBM, Wanowrie, areas. Lots of cafe coffee days here
Old 29th June 2012, 23:02   #2040
BHPian

Is Cairn India a good stock to buy now - considering that the parent company is selling a good percentage of their shares which would keep the prices down for some time?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks