26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 13:16   #2761
J.Ravi

Re: Do you play the stock market

Just a few minutes back, my bid for 275 @ 358 in Coal India OFS was accepted by Kotak Securities and I transferred the money to my trading account; now, keeping my fingers crossed. Since OFS, unlike IPO, is through the secondary market only, I could not apply through Axis Bank using ASBA.

Old 30th January 2015, 17:12   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here read Irrational Exuberance?
Old 30th January 2015, 20:53   #2763
BHPian

Re: OFS Modus operandi?

Any thoughts on 'Coal India' OFS allotment? I had bid at the floor price, and heard retail portion was under subscribed. Does that mean, we shall get our bid quantity?
Old 31st January 2015, 07:24   #2764
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does that mean, we shall get our bid quantity?
Yes. I got alloted the entire 275 @ 340.10. Received the contract note an hour back.

Old 31st January 2015, 07:57   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any thoughts on 'Coal India' OFS allotment? I had bid at the floor price, and heard retail portion was under subscribed. Does that mean, we shall get our bid quantity?
I expected it to be under subscribed. I did not feel that it makes sense to get the shares through the offer. I am expecting it to hit lesser than 340 post issue if the market corrects further.

Lets see.

Last edited by rki2007 : 31st January 2015 at 07:58.
Old 31st January 2015, 21:57   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Got it from Just Books library. Planning to read it next week. Will keep you posted.
Old 31st January 2015, 23:46   #2767
BHPian

Looks like the market corrected to make way for the CIL OFS. Do you guys think the nifty will go above 9k ?
Old 1st February 2015, 17:21   #2768
BHPian

I would like to buy some stocks to build a corpus for retirement. My goal would be to earn higher than bank FDs with low risk, as much as possible. I can stay invested for next 10-15 years. I would ideally like to have less than 10 stocks. I am very new to equities so need help to identify the right ones to reduce the risks involved in investing in stocks. Looking at the current all time high levels of market, I am bit unsure if I should wait for a correction to get in. Looking for expert advise.
Old 1st February 2015, 17:47   #2769
BHPian

Pgupta - you may want to take a look at mutual funds and SIPs rather than stocks if you're low risk. While some stocks are lower risk than others, building a retirement corpus with stocks is not advisable as it is connected to the market sentiment and financial environment. As for low risk stocks, energy and defence industry stocks connected to the government funding would be some. Again, risk is a perception and what I cons wide as risk may not be the same for you.
Old 1st February 2015, 17:47   #2770
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I would like to buy some stocks to build a corpus for retirement.
You can consider SIP in Franklin India Pension Plan - Direct as recommended by The Hindu Businessline. The added attraction is that this fund is notified under section 80C of IT act.

Old 1st February 2015, 18:20   #2771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very new to equities so need help to identify the right ones to reduce the risks involved in investing in stocks.
If you do not know the market, then do not play the market. I was in similar situation and I took the SIP route. And I have got good returns. Invest for at least 5 years in SIP. In other words at least go through one recession.
Old 1st February 2015, 20:29   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to buy some stocks to build a corpus for retirement. My goal would be to earn higher than bank FDs with low risk, as much as possible. I can stay invested for next 10-15 years. I would ideally like to have less than 10 stocks. I am very new to equities so need help to identify the right ones to reduce the risks involved in investing in stocks. Looking at the current all time high levels of market, I am bit unsure if I should wait for a correction to get in. Looking for expert advise.
I would recommend you to go through the mutual fund route if you do not want to put effort in learning investing and doing stock analysis. Taking opinion from others is fine, but it is risky if you just follow the advise without your own analysis. Also, you will not have conviction to hold for long term unless you do your own analysis. Stock market is a dangerous place to learn what kind of a person you are - discipline and temperament is more important than ability to identify the right stocks.

If you want to do it by yourself, refer old posts where we have discussed books for a new investor.

It seems as per the new regulation by SEBI it is not allowed to give stock recommendations in public. So I think you would not get much response.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 1st February 2015 at 20:30.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:43   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Kaveri Seeds Anyone?

Does anyone have any opinion/information they can share on Kaveri seeds?

I'm planning to buy some stocks, the company looks ok but would like to know more.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:49   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Got it from Just Books library. Planning to read it next week. Will keep you posted.
I believe it is a super read for the analysis done prior to the Dotcom bust and the real estate bust.
However, the 3rd edition also covers today's world - so if you have this version, can you please post about what it says.
On the other hand, I think I might lose my patience and order the imported expensive version ()
Old 2nd February 2015, 22:09   #2775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Read it recently - was looking to learn about the CAPE ratio but it was more about history. Not sure how to summarize the learning from the book :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks