0 - 25% -- I'm like the most conservative Indians. I love FDs. 396 32.27%
26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 549 44.74%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.38%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 09:17   #106
BHPian

Another big IPO announced - BSNL @ 40,000 crores. Lets see when it actually comes out though.

Might be an interesting one to look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Anyone investing in the Reliance Power IPO?
It should give good returns on listing but avoid it as a long term hold. I firmly believe in the power sector growth story but don't see any of the generation companies making exceptional returns on their projects. From my understanding of the power regulation in India, the amount of return power generation projects are allowed to make is capped at about 14%. With no signs of anyone wanting to change this, there seem to be much better opportunities around. Also, in relative terms, NTPC seems a better buy.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Future IPO has also been announched. Anyone had applied in DLF IPO?
Old 15th January 2008, 11:11   #108
BHPian

There is no point in blocking our money for high profile ipos, as the chance of getting allottment is extremely less (less than 1 in 50). For rel power ipo, apparently 3 lac demat accounts where opened in jan 08 so far. So we can imagine the kind of rush.

Its better to wait till they get listed and buy in lots when prices correct. All these extra-large ipos dont do good for the current bull market as it will suck out money from the market and many solid stocks will slip.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:17   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Anyone had applied in DLF IPO?
I had picked up a few shares - sold them recently.

I'd also applied for Vishal Retail around the same time but got a very small allotment for that .
Old 15th January 2008, 11:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the market has gone quite down in the recent days? What could be the reason? I think IPOs are coming hence.
Investors were apparently selling off their stocks to purchase the big ipos, rel power and future capital. This caused dips in many stock prices. But things are looking better again.

For example, I had invested some money with which I could buy an M800/Alto in 2006 and now if I sell them, I can buy a Cedia. Not bad, eh?

Just got news that Rel Power IPO has been oversubscribed by 7 times within half hour of opening! That is 28 crore shares at Rs 450/- each X 7 !!!

Last edited by appuchan : 15th January 2008 at 11:34.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:14   #111
Senior - BHPian

Whats the dope on the Future capital IPO ? Can we subscribe ?
Old 15th January 2008, 12:16   #112
BHPian

Reliance Power

It's a crazy world out there. I am out of reliance power for good. I simply don't see any value and it's worse than a lottery. All the idiots pulling out of the market to invest in one brand name.

Old 15th January 2008, 12:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

Yes NC you can subscribe for future right now.

Relaince Power - You will get atleast 15 shares(minimum) and i doubt any one is going to get much, since as appuchan has said Reliance Power has been oversubscribed and still there are 3 days left to apply.

Quote:
I had invested some money with which I could buy an M800/Alto in 2006 and now if I sell them, I can buy a Cedia. Not bad, eh?
Which stock have you bought?

Quote:
Its better to wait till they get listed and buy in lots when prices correct. All these extra-large ipos dont do good for the current bull market as it will suck out money from the market and many solid stocks will slip.
The amount of stocks, me and you hold are too little to fluctuate the rate of stocks. So even if we sell out stocks in order to divrse the money towards IPO's wont help much, its big time investors who should look into that. Fundemantally very strong shares are on reverse circuit thanks to the IPOs. Heard of Kothari Petro? From 4 to 80 in a years time, people could not buy it, because it was always on upper circuit, now has fallen by Rs. 20, in the recent days thanks to the IPO.

Last edited by BUSA : 15th January 2008 at 13:03.
Old 15th January 2008, 13:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes NC you can subscribe for future right now.
Oye Busa - I meant is it a good investment ? For a company with low visibilty and 12 crore loss for the last 6 months - 765 Rs seems a stiff price......thats why I am in 2 minds.
Old 15th January 2008, 13:13   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_efficient_normally_crazy View Post
Oye Busa - I meant is it a good investment ? For a company with low visibilty and 12 crore loss for the last 6 months - 765 Rs seems a stiff price......thats why I am in 2 minds.
Well, expect it to go Rs. 1200 as per what i have heard. Also since Rel Power IPO is coming, Future is almost invisible, so you can get almost as many shares as you apply for.
Old 15th January 2008, 13:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Another big IPO announced - BSNL @ 40,000 crores.
I would like to meet the chap who values BSNL @ 40k crores !! I mean, has he tried getting a BSNL connection? Marketing is almost non-existent.
Old 15th January 2008, 14:06   #117
Senior - BHPian

Anil Ambani has said that Reliance Power will open at Rs. 1000

Isint that wrong thing to do?
Old 15th January 2008, 17:45   #118
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I have been never into this. Based on friends advice, had opened a demat account to purchase Reliance Power IPO.
me 2....jumped on the bandwagon.

Seems reliance power is subscribed 10 times...so max an investor can get is 15-30 shares. trying to find a guru who can convert my nano budget to a safari budget...
Old 15th January 2008, 19:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Whats the dope on the Future capital IPO ? Can we subscribe ?
In my opinion, its a nice IPO, apart from betting on Reliance Power i'll put up the margin money on NTPC... actually very bullish... one can seek growth in this particular sector as anil will surely push his ipo as high as possible, which will help other power players to get up very quickly..
Old 15th January 2008, 19:58   #120
BHPian

What A Herd Mentality! Grrrrrr

As usual, I was going through Rediff analysis of the IPO and somewhere they mentioned this third party saying,

"As per market expectations, if the Reliance Power IPO gets oversubscribed 100 times, it will make Rs 11,70,000 crore which the company has to pay back the investor in 21 days, reports NDTV Profit. So if the company parks these funds (at a conservative estimate) in a savings account for 3.5% interest, the company stands to makes Rs 3370 crore. If the issue is oversubscribed 200 times, it makes Rs 23,40,000, on which interest of 3.5% works out to Rs 6775 crore for the company in just 21 days!"

Now isn't that wonderful!

First, 5 out of 15 won't get any stock due to over-subscription.

Second the day it gets listed, it will start falling because of more sellers than buyers.

Third, it is going to cause the entire market to fall in short term, thereby questioning robustness of the market.

If people haven't already noticed, today markets closed almost 500 points lower & most of the stocks are declining thanks to the 'bhed chal', me too kinds!

Reliance IPO, I am over and out, Period.

Most Viewed