Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 08:57   #451
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

My wife has got a job offer which includes a nice joining bonus. However, her notice period ends 3 days after the cutoff for the joining bonus. She asked for extension of the joining bonus eligibility date, but that was rejected.

She will try to get her current employer to reduce her notice period (we are okay with a buyout). I need advice on what to do if the current employer does not agree for reducing the notice period.
Old 5th May 2021, 15:07   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
My wife has got a job offer which includes a nice joining bonus. However, her notice period ends 3 days after the cutoff for the joining bonus. She asked for extension of the joining bonus eligibility date, but that was rejected.

She will try to get her current employer to reduce her notice period (we are okay with a buyout). I need advice on what to do if the current employer does not agree for reducing the notice period.
I was in a similar situation over a decade ago. I could join only 15 days late since the previous employer didn't relieve me. But post joining, I explained my case to HR and I was paid the joining bonus. In fact, they even reimbursed the notice period buy-out amount.

Reducing the notice period depends on a lot of factors. If the manager is ok, speaking with someone Higher up in HR could help. Usually, the jr HRs are not authorized to make these decisions and just make up excuses.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:36   #453
Team-BHP Support

Notice period is a game HR departments love to play. It gives them power of employees that are anyway leaving. If the supervisor of the employee is satisfied with the completion of handover process, there is simply no reason to force the employee to stick around.

I have routinely released employees from notice period if their handover is complete.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 15:52   #454
BHPian

Quote:

3-4 days early release date is quite a trivial matter if you ask me. More so in case the notice period is more than a month.

If your wife has a cordial relationship to her reporting manager and she can ensure the handover on time, her manager will give it without any fuss. Usually it is the hiring/reporting manager only who has the final authority. HR will do whatever s/he decides and they usually do not have any power to block a date as such.

I have given early release of upto 2 weeks as per the request of the employee when I know they would complete their handover on time.

Moreover, making the release process a pain for an employee who is leaving is something that will benefit no one.
Old 5th May 2021, 17:36   #455
BHPian

Quote:
It totally depends on manager and organisation's policy as well. One of my friend was supposed to join my organisation on 15th, February this year. He was under an impression that his company will release him early as from 17th, February full day trainings were scheduled for 10 days. He was not released early and was even ask to attend the full day training programme
Eventually he served his full 2 months notice period and than joined us.
Old 6th May 2021, 14:01   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
It totally depends on manager and organisation's policy as well. One of my friend was supposed to join my organisation on 15th, February this year. He was under an impression that his company will release him early as from 17th, February full day trainings were scheduled for 10 days. He was not released early and was even ask to attend the full day training programme
Eventually he served his full 2 months notice period and than joined us.

Update: She spoke to her manager, but he is not allowing an early release even though he too agreed that there is no knowledge transfer involved. They are saying that she is a "billable resource" and they do not reduce the notice period even by a day for such people. She offered paying either with money, or with her earned leaves, but that request too was turned down.
Old 6th May 2021, 14:55   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: She spoke to her manager, but he is not allowing an early release even though he too agreed that there is no knowledge transfer involved. They are saying that she is a "billable resource" and they do not reduce the notice period even by a day for such people. She offered paying either with money, or with her earned leaves, but that request too was turned down.
Its upto Manager but early release means some(or may be most) companies ask you to pay for shortfall. If new org is willing they buyout, handover the shortfall charges statement, and they will re-imburse. However if Manager is not willing, there is nothing that can be done.
Old 13th June 2021, 19:05   #458
BHPian

Guys, need some career advice here for my wife who was into IT (as a .Net developer) and has now a gap of around 8 years.

She is now looking at getting back to work - though, she is confused on where/how to start. A point to note is that, she is not limiting herself to a developer role and is ready to learn newer areas.

What would be the right place to start?
What certifications would help her in those areas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 13th June 2021, 20:43   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, need some career advice here for my wife who was into IT (as a .Net developer) and has now a gap of around 8 years.

She is now looking at getting back to work - though, she is confused on where/how to start. A point to note is that, she is not limiting herself to a developer role and is ready to learn newer areas.

What would be the right place to start?
What certifications would help her in those areas?

Thanks in advance!
Few IT firms are running special programs for female employees who took career break for whatever reason and are looking to start a full time job again.
They hire candidates and put them on a training program for few weeks, and if they are happy with the performance, then full time role is offered.
These are really great programs. I have seen few female friends making comeback in IT world via such programs

One of my friend, who was on a break for 3 years, has got selected this year, in such a program run by CTS.
INJAXN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:05   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Few IT firms are running special programs...
They hire candidates and put them on a training program for few weeks, and if they are happy with the performance, then full time role is offered.
+1

This is very straight-forward way if available. Look for Linked-in pages of all IT / Finance / Pharma / FMCG companies. They usually run this once a year. It is typicaly :
  1. Online trainings intended to serve as a refresher on few common tech skills such as UI / Java/ Python / Cloud
  2. Paid internship of 3 to 6 months
  3. Full time offer depending on feedback from team(s)
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:58   #461
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
She is now looking at getting back to work - though, she is confused on where/how to start.
All Big 4's (EY, Deloitte, KPMG, PwC) should have return to work programs specifically for women joining back the workforce. I remember also seeing something by JPMC on these lines so she can also check all these big financial institutions. Same for P&G, HUL etc.

Most global companies should have something on these lines so best to make an excel list of companies she likes and then individually checking the sites career section.

Some job sites also have this option where you can mark your profile as return to work and employers can find you that way. I think jobsforher.com is a good resource for women applying for jobs.

Wish you the best for your search.

Regards
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:00   #462
BHPian

Folks in the IT Industry, calling out aloud !

I'm currently working in a Digital agency backed SasS Product vertical in the Real Estate Industry, and I'm looking for a job change with immediate effect.

It pains me to write this down, but, fact is, I have made a huge, huge mistake by quitting a very well funded SaaS start-up and joining a Digital Agency. I'm just not able to cope up with the culture, processes (which infact is non-existent) and way of working. I thought to myself that I'm not able to accept the change that I have decided to ride along (from pure Tech to Digital), however, at the end, all I know is I have made a bad choice.

This is tremendously affecting my ability to function outside profession, and I'm feeling broke.

I have applied at various tech companies, but, haven't received any interview calls so far.

My total experience is a little over 7.5 years, and have been a tech-functional guy all over.

Request the relevant folks from this community to please DM me for a discussion on my predicament, would love to move out of the current space ASAP.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
Old 14th July 2021, 11:57   #463
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

This post is to get some information for my younger brother who's just entered the 12th standard. He is interested in accounts and is confused between doing a CA course or doing the ACCA certification. What is the ideal path to follow considering the future prospects of the next 20-30 years?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 14th July 2021, 12:07   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
This post is to get some information for my younger brother who's just entered the 12th standard. He is interested in accounts and is confused between doing a CA course or doing the ACCA certification. What is the ideal path to follow considering the future prospects of the next 20-30 years?
Too early to think about it. He is anyway joining B.Com right? My son had the same confusion while joining B.Com in 2019. But after finishing 4 semesters, he wants to do neither. He is considering BI in marketing now.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 17:11   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Too early to think about it. He is anyway joining B.Com right? My son had the same confusion while joining B.Com in 2019. But after finishing 4 semesters, he wants to do neither. He is considering BI in marketing now.
Thanks for the insight. However, he is debating on studying in India vs Abroad for this and abroad it is mostly an integrated course. Hence some clarity is needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks