Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2016, 00:05   #361
BHPian

Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He should focus on clearing test, interview, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
IMHO, for campus recruitment the content on the CV might not be considered seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Usually for fresh recruits, recruiters are looking more for attitude and aptitude, rather than specific knowledge which would probably be part of the training/assimilation program later anyway. Not saying subject matter expertise isn't important but it's usually not a deal-breaker for campus recruits. Subject matter expertise is teachable, attitude isn't.
Some great insights there. I have showed your responses to him and he seems very satisfied with them. Thank you so much everyone for your inputs.

I have asked him to stick with the above resume and not worry too much about it. Focussing on aptitude (that's what it's called, right?) is more important.
Old 29th August 2016, 20:07   #362
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Hi,

I am looking for some expert advise on Change Management career. I have 6 years military experience, followed by 8 years in project management and learning and development. I have a US masters in IT and am debating between US MBA or a program like Masters in Learning
https://www.sesp.northwestern.edu/ma...tional-change/.

Since this is going to be last major career decision of my life, I want to make sure that I choose the right program. My interest has been in coaching, mentoring, project management and learning and development activities and to my mind, Change management looks the right career move. I will look forward to fellow Bhpians advise and pointers on gaps in my thoughts.
Hoping to get some wise thoughts.

regards

Himanshu
Old 30th August 2016, 18:56   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I would say try Praxis, Aegis, Great Lakes or SP Jain.
Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to see relatively new names like Praxis, Aegis & Great Lakes feature in your list. Why not consider ISB? Also do share where you joined and any feedback on the program.

Asking this as I work in analytics (have been for the last 7 years) and I have met a few ISB folks and some who have completed certifications from IIMs but haven't really come across any folks who have completed their course from the above.
Old 17th October 2016, 01:19   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm writing here for not asking advice but giving it. My job profile is complicated.. I'm for much of the time a regular worker doing what the job requires of me, then there are occasions where I've to play HR - look into suitability of candidates, see how they are familiar with business concepts and of course a slight analysis of their values, culture, ethics etc. I mostly interview freshers and some are middle-level.

Its bothering me that the freshers of today i.e those in the early 20's are arrogant, and unapologetic.. even in interviews. They don't like to be corrected and are realistically at best, abysmal even with a background of a good grad college degree. It's happened to me multiple times and I don't quite understand if its due to my younger age (for an interviewer) or something else. I'm the kind who takes the slightest hint of disrespect seriously so I straightaway write them off.

I understand that in some cases, H.R people act quite hostile and toy around in interviews but most of us just want to know the knowledge, the responses and the values of the candidate.. and for that we need to ask what we need to ask. I hate an interview just as much as anyone else but I genuinely try to find out if there's scope for improvement, the maturity, the urge to accept and learn (without asking anything personal) etc, nope. They just keep harping on what they've rehearsed before coming to the room, defending their points of view all whilst using mediocre grammar and phrasing at best.

To those giving interviews - try to be as genuine and natural as possible, do not fear rejection.. its part and parcel of interviews. Also acknowledge the seniority (experience not age) of the interviewer because he/she got there for a reason. If there's one department I myself hate its the recruiting/H.R one, but much of the times we do have a hard job - to understand if you'll be happy with the company and vice versa. Do NOT go on the offensive and try to shove down your own points of view without giving a reasonable thought first.

Stop being stereotypical in your resume and interview both, by always claiming to be well-adjusted, team-player, quick learner and efficient performer etc, I can make out the truth in 5 minutes flat.
Old 17th October 2016, 08:00   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Its bothering me that the freshers of today i.e those in the early 20's are arrogant, and unapologetic. Even in interviews.
Primarily what I have experienced is learning for most stops after college (if there was one in college). Beyond that its only work in anticipation of the what would come end of the month into the bank. If that hunger for learning still exists, you will definitely see it in his/her demeanor when you interview such a candidate.

The other perspective: If one wants to learn something new without the hunger, it's mainly to add a feather in the resume to negotiate for something better.

Of course I am not painting a sweeping generalization, but yes that is *in general* what I have experienced.

Last edited by ampere : 17th October 2016 at 08:03.
Old 17th October 2016, 10:17   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Its bothering me that the freshers of today i.e those in the early 20's are arrogant, and unapologetic.. even in interviews. They don't like to be corrected and are realistically at best, abysmal even with a background of a good grad college degree. It's happened to me multiple times and I don't quite understand if its due to my younger age (for an interviewer) or something else.
My wife is in HR in the IT industry for the past two decades and she vents out her frustration to me sometimes.

In campus placement interviews these days, many companies target the same engineering or management institutions, so the onus is on the interviewer to market the company before and during the interview rather than the interviewer vetting the interviewee. Once a candidate is offered, drop out rates can be dramatic as many have multiple job offers both from within the campus and outside. Successful campus placement companies have dedicated HR personnel who keep in constant touch with those who have been offered, some even send out mementoes periodically such as a coffee mug or a key chain.

Another common occurrence is a person joining the company straight from college and then quitting within a day or two (sometimes it may take up as much as a month). In those few days, the new joinee has been dissatisfied with something, maybe the cafeteria, the furniture, the tone of one of the managers, the office environment, work timings, commute, etc. In one case, she figured that people are quitting because they were not getting free tea in the afternoon (Mind you, tea was always there in the cafeteria, but they had to pay for it). Just providing free tea meant that team members would go get it together, have a team huddle, etc. and this single step increased morale more than any number of team building activities.

New joinees who quit these days pursue an offer they already had in hand, but many choose to sit at home. Many she kept track of stayed at home for a year or two and then moved to the US or Australia for an MBA or higher studies. The previous generation of middle class has generally done well in life, so they are able to provide security to their children and let them pursue their own path. Moreover, education loans are freely available these days.
Old 17th October 2016, 11:18   #367
BHPian

Agree with what has been said. Attitude is the major problem with some of the youngsters. One of my team member was having an easy go attitude, not doing any works. Team leads, manager and myself gave him a little bit of advice session. Now he is doing a great job. They need some guidance.
Old 26th January 2017, 22:45   #368
BHPian

Guys,
Need some career advice for my younger brother. He has completed his B.tech in Mechanical engineering last year.
He wants to apply for MS only in Germany. For Gods grace he has got a call from a good university for doing MS in biofabrication aka 3D printing in medical science.
Brief overview of the subject.
https://biofabdegree.net/what-is-biofabrication-2/
Ok for me, it is 21st century technology but how are the job prospects ?
Well the same was said for biotechnology but it never took off so don't want to take chances here.

Please pour in your suggestions.
Old 1st February 2017, 12:28   #369
BHPian

Career milestones in Software / IT sector for seniors

Majority of us BHPians have been working in IT / software sector. In this industry we see clear career path for first around 10 years, start with junior engineer, followed by senior engineer, team lead, project manager / architect. In most of the recruitment ads we mostly see experience level requirement of max 10-13 years. So mostly career plan visibility is clear in this duration, and many achieve job role / financial goals either by working in same company or switching (this is more common).

I was curious to know what career milestones our BHPians have planned / have achieved post 10-12 years of experience in software / IT industry. How do you plan income increments?
Old 1st February 2017, 13:52   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its bothering me that the freshers of today i.e those in the early 20's are arrogant, and unapologetic.. even in interviews. They don't like to be corrected and are realistically at best, abysmal even with a background of a good grad college degree.
I have a feeling that you are looking at a talent pool from tier 1 cities/institutes or both OR you may be from a lesser known co or the position you are interviewing for may pay below average . I've been interviewing across a wide range of people ( btech from unknown engg colleges to tier 1 MBA) for a large indian IT co, and have found most of them very servile during interviews. Even if they do act up after getting hired, most of them know well enough to keep their attitude in check during their interviews.
Old 1st February 2017, 14:05   #371
BHPian

The current generation is as good as the previous one (read my generation), if not better. They are just the victims of circumstances, so to say. They too are insecure, ambitious and energetic, just like us in our college days. I think the perceived (or observed) arrogance is only skin deep/cosmetic, scratch the surface and you would find your own image.

This whole marketing blitzkrieg that keep bombarding them from everywhere - it's increasing day by day, and so is the peer pressure. Nothing like anything, whatever it takes, be you, it's your life - make it large....and countless such pressure points to rebel against anything that comes in front of you; because being a non-conformist, being a rebel is the "in-thing" - this is what making these young blokes act weirdly many a times.

Don't judge them by their arrogance, it's the easiest to be shed.
Old 4th February 2017, 16:07   #372
Team-BHP Support

People looking for career advice, consider this.

Old 6th February 2017, 10:48   #373
BHPian

Hello all,

Trying to get suggestions on this thread instead of starting a new one. My wife (12 years HR ops experience in non Indian payroll ) wants to pursue shrm course and had the following questions

1. Value in market. Does it add value to profile or is another additional certification on resume?

2. Anybody who has done it, can you share your experience and if possible reading materials?

3. If possible, can you share your email/phone number for some other clarifications

Thanks in advance
Old 8th March 2017, 12:21   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Took a while but as of next month I'm officially off the hierarchy matrix, or rather getting above it. No longer an employee, but a free soul. I wouldn't like to call it entrepreneurship (though its what I always sought after), nor would I like to call myself a "leader", I'm just going to do what's easier and what I feel in my heart, is right.

In the organized structure there is no room for free-thinking and no voice given for the bringers of change, even if its for positive. Bureaucracy seeps in from the top and sometimes only the bureaucrats make it to the top with their conformist, paper-pushing style. Its been a wild ride in a relatively brief career thus far, mentored a few by showing them the ropes, played a big role in increased product sales by 300% and naturally, profits as well.

I'd progressively been working on this for a couple of years now and its finally done, back to the basics of business without any of the "misleading" technology in marketing that most startups are into these days, this is low-tech and fully offline. I shall also play a role as part-time business consultant for a couple of known places but all entirely on my terms. More importantly the ethos of the new setup is everything that is good and fair.

One thing stood out for me, reading a business journal as a teen - the heart of capitalism lies in entrepreneurship. It was a bit scary, specially when I decided I want out but there comes a time when the passion to follow a script just disappears and then eats at your very essence of being, that's when I knew its time to write my own story, thus it begins.
Old 8th March 2017, 13:51   #375
BHPian

Quote:

One thing stood out for me, reading a business journal as a teen - the heart of capitalism lies in entrepreneurship. It was a bit scary, specially when I decided I want out but there comes a time when the passion to follow a script just disappears and then eats at your very essence of being, that's when I knew its time to write my own story, thus it begins.
Good luck. And happy hunting!

Most Viewed