Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2022, 19:27   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The plight of IT professionals in their 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Job as a Dentist isn't a great option. Salaries are very low, commitments are high and growth opportunities are limited
This is surprising news to an outsider. I will let folks in the medical field comment.

Quote:
Limited financial resources is a primary deterrent here. Hence can't opt for expensive MBA programs and evaluating a job that pays well and has a 5 days / week ask.
I am in the IT field and many companies have return-to-work programs targeted towards mothers returning to work. However, considering she has no background in IT/management, she will have to start from the bottom and the highlighted criteria would not be met. That is where an MBA might help. But in my opinion, a run-of-the-mill MBA is as good as no MBA. So, it is a tough situation to be in.
Old 20th January 2022, 20:18   #482
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Dentist by education and career experience so far[/b].

Now she is planning to get into corporate(s) either directly or via education (MBA?). What are her best options?
One thought -

I know quite a few people (dentists, in particular) that have made a career switch into medical writing / regulatory aspects / publication writing / etc. Apparently (I have some insider sources on this), there is good demand here and it should be a fairly low barrier for this person to get leads / positions in this field.
Old 20th January 2022, 20:20   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This is surprising news to an outsider. I will let folks in the medical field comment.
My wife, a dentist, faced similar situation. She practiced in private clinic and resigned when my son was born. Later, though she was able to get job in another clinic, the salary was too low. She resigned again and worked for a few years in medical insurance division in major hospital before calling it quits.

Some of her colleagues who have set up own clinics narrate harrowing experiences. Setting a clinic is in itself a costly affair - chairs, interiors, salary to assistants, building leases etc. The business side of the clinic is more demanding than the dental practice itself - more like running a restaurant.

Then there are family run clinics in well established localities - they are the ones who make a fortune

Quote:
That is where an MBA might help. But in my opinion, a run-of-the-mill MBA is as good as no MBA.
True. My wife did an MBA (correspondence) but it was more for knowledge sake rather than for the qualification.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 20th January 2022 at 20:23.
Old 20th January 2022, 21:00   #484
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the IT field and many companies have return-to-work programs targeted towards mothers returning to work.
Such programs at all large companies are for those women from the same industry or specific skill (HR/Finance/Marketing/etc.). Still looking though, not loosing hope will be the key I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
One thought -

I know quite a few people (dentists, in particular) that have made a career switch into medical writing / regulatory aspects / publication writing / etc. Apparently (I have some insider sources on this), there is good demand here and it should be a fairly low barrier for this person to get leads / positions in this field.
Thanks, this is helpful. Option 1 (Healthcare KPO) is one such option she is considering. Other could be what AltoLXI has hinted - Admin work in a large hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The business side of the clinic is more demanding than the dental practice itself - more like running a restaurant.
Yes, setting up your fresh practice is nothing short of setting up your own restaurant/fast food joint. If you need good footfall (which you do for a new setup), location becomes the deciding factor and hence upfront cost is extremely high. So unless you are backed by someone who already has such a property or a fat bank balance, this route is near impossible to crack.

Last edited by sunilch : 20th January 2022 at 21:01.
Old 9th February 2022, 11:20   #485
BHPian

Hello everyone. I am a 31-year-old construction professional, with 7 years’ experience, working for a contracting company in Pune. My current career path in terms of both responsibilities and income is on par with my peers in the industry.

After passing 10th standard, I did a Diploma in Civil Engineer and as a continuation a BE in the same. Thereafter, worked for a month on a construction site as a Trainee Engineer and did not like the experience one bit. Took some advice from some friends and industry professionals and went ahead with a M.Tech in Construction Management and commenced a career as a Planning Engineer.

However, any success that I have had till now was because of extra efforts that I have to take comparatively to others or additional self-study that I pursue; there is no love for the job. Personally, my judgement on finance / commercial matters because of the hand-on experience with our family business has helped me a lot in doing my work and other deficiencies did not come to notice.

It has become obvious to me that this would help me in the short term but would not take me far ahead in my career. Hence, have started looking for a career change and considering the once in a lifetime opportunity presented by BEV's have enrolled myself for a basic course in the same to test the waters.

My questions for the esteemed members of the forum are as below-

1) At my age is a career change safe? Mine is a single earner family with one 4-year-old son without any EMI's. All the income is stacked in savings (traditional and stock market) and household expenses. Can maintain my current lifestyle for at least a year due to above and a small business in my hometown which is looked by my father.

2) Also thinking about pursuing an MBA in finance or business management. However, as I am not from a commerce background I have apprehensions about it.

3) My interests are technology and businesses especially those about gadgets, appliances and automobile. Are there any opportunities?
Old 21st March 2022, 14:56   #486
BHPian

To all the knowledgeable members here,

I am 22 years old and will be graduating in June this year from an engineering college with a Mechanical Engineering Degree. My interests are in Operations Management/ Product Management and I am seeking some advice as to what route to pursue in the coming months,

1: Take some time off to find the right master’s course which would help me gain the necessary experiences. (Either a MEM degree or a Msc)

2: Look out for product management/ operations job openings and gain some real world experience (although most roles I find list 2-5 years of prior work experience as conditions)

My education background in school has been in IGCSE and IB boards so I do believe that I have a different mindset when it comes to application based learning which is why I’m more inclined to option 2, but I am confused and looking for some guidance.

Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Shiftlock
Old 28th March 2022, 17:18   #487
BHPian

Hello everyone.
I have graduated with Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have recently received a project of converting any Conventional Vehicle into a Hybrid Electric Vehicle. This project involves purchase of any used vehicle, selection of electrical components, designing of the layout of the Hybrid Drivetrain and installation of the Hybrid Drivetrain. The testing involves recording of improvements in real world factors (either fuel efficiency or acceleration). The project is to be completed by 1st September 2022. Budget is not an issue. However the Hybrid Drivetrain should not be as complex as in current production Hybrid Electric Vehicles.

I would like to know the following-

1) Should I choose a 2-wheeler (scooter/bike) or 4-wheeler(car)?

2) What type of Hybrid Drivetrain should I use- series or parallel? Also what all components will be required?

3) What should be the main priority of the Hybrid Drivetrain, out of the following-
a) Increase fuel economy,
b) Achieve electric-only operation,
or c) Improve acceleration/top-speed?

4) What modifications will be required to the existing vehicle?

I would be grateful for guidance from members of Team-BHP, as it has some of the most knowledgeable people in the Automotive field.

If not posted in the correct thread, I request the moderators to merge this post in an appropriate thread.

Thanking in advance,
zxcv444.

Last edited by zxcv444 : 28th March 2022 at 17:38.
Old 28th March 2022, 18:23   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv444 View Post
I have recently received a project of converting any Conventional Vehicle into a Hybrid Electric Vehicle.

I would be grateful for guidance from members of Team-BHP, as it has some of the most knowledgeable people in the Automotive field.
Searching through the forum for already existing threads would be a good start:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ctric-car.html (Swift Dzire EV - Systematic conversion to an electric car!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...n-battery.html (My Electric Discover | I converted my Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with a lithium-ion battery)
Old 28th March 2022, 20:27   #489
BHPian

Thank you for the links. However both the above are pure electric conversions. I am looking for hybrid electric conversion. The engine is not going to be removed.
Old 21st April 2022, 21:00   #490
BHPian

Hello. I'm currently in my 3rd year (2nd sem) of Bachelors of Technology in Automobile Engineering. And as always, the tension of getting an internship in a reputed automobile company is catching up to me. As a kid, I had grown up with the brand Hero Honda and always wanted to work for it. And when the JV split, I was heartbroken more than anyone.

And now that I'm almost about to finish the instructional part of my bachelors, how do I apply for an internship in Hero MotoCorp? I'm interested in manufacturing and design of the motorcycles. I've been familiar with all the models and all of their advertisement campaigns, and have known it as a part of myself.

If any BHPians can help me out with this, I will be owing a great debt to you, sir.
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:24   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcv444 View Post
1) Should I choose a 2-wheeler (scooter/bike) or 4-wheeler(car)?

2) What type of Hybrid Drivetrain should I use- series or parallel? Also what all components will be required?

3) What should be the main priority of the Hybrid Drivetrain, out of the following-
a) Increase fuel economy,
b) Achieve electric-only operation,
or c) Improve acceleration/top-speed?

4) What modifications will be required to the existing vehicle?
I will try to answer the questions based on my limited experience. Other BHPians may give more insights.

1) A 4-wheeler makes more sense as you are targeting Hybrid. Most of the 2 wheelers (or all of them) currently available are Battery EVs (BEVs). If budget, knowhow and ability to handle the complex hybrid EVs is not a constraint, I would suggest to go "hybridizing" a 4 wheeler.

2) To start with you can consider Series Hybrid. Parallel Hybrids are more complex when it comes to architecture, controls etc when compared to series. Also there are various configurations of parallel hybrids.
So in a nutshell, you can start with a Series Hybrid of a small car. You would need to size the components like Battery, Generator, Motor etc. Ofcourse, a Vehicle Control Unit (VCU) would be needed for controlling all these components.

3) You may consider this as a Range Extender EV. So start with optimizing fuel consumption.

4) This is a very elaborate exercise. Lot of videos are available in youtube. You may need to start with packaging, mechanical modifications, controls and so on.

Good luck in your project

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd April 2022 at 18:09. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 4th June 2022, 16:24   #492
BHPian

Career Help

Hey everyone

A brief intro about me - I am a 21 year old Business Economics student. I graduated from the University of Delhi last year and decided to take a drop year to pursue my MBA entrance preparation. Unfortunately, I could not get into my target B-school(s) and hence decided to give it a second go this time.

Currently, I am looking for jobs as a fresher, and am facing trouble with the same.

I know this is not the correct place for posting this, but for the short time span that I have been a part of Team-BHP, I have seen the community helping each other out.

I have been applying for jobs for sometime now and I feel kinda lost. Most of the members here are fairly older than me and might have come across similar situations in their careers. Hence I request you to kindly help me out.

I would appreciate any sort of help that anyone can provide, be it leads for jobs (for freshers) in your firm, or referrals, or even any guidance as to how can I go about it.

P. S. - I know a similar job thread exists, but I could not find any relevant leads for freshers. Moreover, most of them are technical jobs with CS skills. If I am not wrong, the market for fresh business graduates is very small. Hence, any help shall be appreciated.

Thanks!
rnkgrg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 18:18   #493
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Need some help with a career decision that i am faced with. I am in the final stages of hiring for a leadership position in one of a newest crypto startups. It was started last year, in April 2021 and have about 40-50 full time employees. They have raised couple of rounds of founding for a total of about 20-30$ million dollars. The CEO approached me on LinkedIn and i was excited initially about the opportunity but the more i read about crypto space, i am getting cold feet. What you guys think about the pros and cons of the space? Need some advice
Old 6th June 2022, 21:32   #494
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Hello Folks,

Need some help with a career decision that i am faced with. I am in the final stages of hiring for a leadership position in one of a newest crypto startups. It was started last year, in April 2021 and have about 40-50 full time employees. They have raised couple of rounds of founding for a total of about 20-30$ million dollars. The CEO approached me on LinkedIn and i was excited initially about the opportunity but the more i read about crypto space, i am getting cold feet. What you guys think about the pros and cons of the space? Need some advice
Check what is their revenue model. That is what will determine where the company will be 6/12/24 months down. I can think of the following questions to self:

a.Will you ( and your inner circle of friends and relatives) sign up as a paying customer ?
b. Has there been growth in paying customers in the last few months
c. Are they throwing money or prudent with expenses? ( I dont want to get into the employee "true worth" discussion)
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 23:04   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Check what is their revenue model. That is what will determine where the company will be 6/12/24 months down. I can think of the following questions to self:

a.Will you ( and your inner circle of friends and relatives) sign up as a paying customer ?
b. Has there been growth in paying customers in the last few months
c. Are they throwing money or prudent with expenses? ( I dont want to get into the employee "true worth" discussion)
Their business model seems fine and there are no red flags as such. They seem to be on a hiring spree of late. Not sure if that is good or bad. Either way, their operating model seems fine. They are into staking. They also mentioned that they are cash flow positive. So that is reassuring atleast.

I was more inclined to know about the crypto space itself. The space is prone to extreme volatility and uncertainty. So wanted to know if crypto as a space is something where a career can be made, longterm. With the rise in interest rates, there is a macro economic squeeze all around and has affected crypto markets also. With Terra meltdown (they were heavy on Terra but seem to have diversified now), what is the outlook for crypto? I know nobody has a crystal ball but does Crypto seem too absurd an idea? RBI hasn't warmed up to the idea of crypto yet although markets abroad seem to take a more lenient view of them

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks