Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 21:25   #256
BHPian

Thanks for your advice Saanil and AltoLXI. I think ill wait for a few years and see how I find E&C engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post

- Have you ever done hobby projects in Electronics when in school or college on your own?
- Were you fascinated and tried to explore / experiment how electronic gadgets work?
I had taken electronics as an elective in 11th and 12th and I was good at it. Almost scored full in 12th. Found it to be quite interesting!
Yes I have tried opening up some gadgets and finding out how they work, but my interest in electronics is lesser than my interest in automobiles.
Old 28th June 2013, 23:58   #257
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hello bhpians!

I just finished my 12th and engineering college will start in a few months. I have taken up electronics and communication as this field is said to have most scope.
Reminds me of this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1165837

I regularly interview E&C graduates who claim they joined that branch because of the scope. They finally end up in Software. There are very few E&C jobs in India compared to Software.

If automobile field is what you really want, do automobile engineering and then go abroad for higher studies. Doing E&C won't take you there.
Old 29th June 2013, 08:38   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I regularly interview E&C graduates who claim they joined that branch because of the scope. They finally end up in Software. There are very few E&C jobs in India compared to Software.
Thank you samurai. Ill try shifting to mechanical at least, if not automobile.
I have one doubt though. Why is E&C in so much demand if most of them are going to end up in the software field?(E&C has the lowest cut-off and the management seats are most expensive) Can't they do CS instead?
Old 8th July 2013, 19:16   #259
BHPian

Hello All,

I am just about to appear for my first(Routing) CCNP - R&S. Shall be pursuing further for CCIE - R&S, should be appearing for the lab in December end.

Since the no. of CCIEs has increased in last 4-5 years, is the certificate losing its charm in the IT industry?

Regards,
Rishi
Old 8th July 2013, 20:14   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hello bhpians!

I just finished my 12th and engineering college will start in a few months. I have taken up electronics and communication as this field is said to have most scope. I would love to work in a field which is automobile-related, as it has been my ambition since childhood. What are the options for me after I complete my engineering? What post grad course can I take up so that I end up in the automobile field? I have no clue about what to do next. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suraj
Hey Suraj,

You are just going to waste your time studying E&C. Anything pursued with interest, even if the output isn't rewarding monetarily, you will have the satisfaction of doing what you like.

You haven't joined the course yet, I would strongly suggest you to shift to Automobile engineering. I'm sure with interest you will reach places. But be forewarned, expect the syllabus to be archaic, but you should be able to understand the basics of automobile system. Armed with that, you can pursue your masters which will open up a lot of avenues.

Forget about the scope and stuff, just join Automobile engineering. With so many international manufacturers setting up their facilities in India, oppurtunities are only going to increase.

P.S: And nice to see a young blood trying to be clear with regards to what he wants. All the best to you in your just started endeavour!!

Last edited by CliffHanger : 8th July 2013 at 20:16.
Old 8th July 2013, 23:06   #261
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the advice and kind wishes CliffHanger. I will talk to my father about this and try convincing him.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:58   #262
BHPian

Career Advice

I'm a fresh B.E Automobile grad,Just passed out.The time has come for me to make a very important decision in my life.

The problem I face is that,I'm a technically inclined person therefore my preference would be to do a masters course in Automobile engineering itself.However from what I've researched its turning out to be quite an expensive affair.An alternate interest of mine would be to pursue an MBA in Marketing, on the condition that I would still be within the automobile industry.Since its my passion and I don't want to end up doing something completely unrelated.

Any advice and suggestions in this regard will be greatly appreciated
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:18   #263
Senior - BHPian

Re: Career Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
The problem I face is that,I'm a technically inclined person therefore my preference would be to do a masters course in Automobile engineering itself.However from what I've researched its turning out to be quite an expensive affair.
Why don't you take up a job in the automobile industry and take this decision a couple of years later? You'd be more clear whether you want to shift to MBA or continue in the technical line. You would always get loans for higher studies.

Plus, an MBA without experience is not worth it IMO.
Old 4th August 2013, 19:58   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you.
I had considered taking up a job.I felt that it would be best if I continue on with studies since there would be a continuity.Didn't want to lose touch.Any thoughts on Marketing and Automobile sector(In India)?Thank you sir for your help.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:32   #265
BHPian

Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Hello,

Need a little urgent help from you all.

My wife has got an offer to take up "Certificate Programme In Business Analytics" from ISB, Hyderabad.

The program kicks off mid September, we need to pay(50K) to confirm and block the seat by 29th August 2013.

Any opinion / expert reviews are most welcome, as we need to close this asap.

Little bit about my wife's profile, she's has 8+ years of workex, with 3 years in Commercial banking front office(ICICI + HSBC) then she moved over to the IT side and works as a Business Analyst. She wants to take up this course to get a break through in the upcoming field of Business Analytics.

Mods may move this in case i posted at the wrong place, thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 10:05   #266
Team-BHP Support

Not a bad idea. Does she like statistics? A good understanding and interest in statistics will take her a long way in Analytics. Just using the SAS/R kind of tools without statistics background won't take her too far.
Old 27th August 2013, 10:24   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Does she like statistics? A good understanding and interest in statistics will take her a long way in Analytics. Just using the SAS/R kind of tools without statistics background won't take her too far.
Hmm, she's good at mathematics(actually enjoys) and is ready to take up statistics as well.

The overall cost of the program is around INR 5.5 Lakhs, at this price do you think its worth. We all know the brand value that ISB carries(for MBA Program), but wondering can it give her a initial spring board to launch a career in Analytics.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:50   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
Hmm, she's good at mathematics(actually enjoys) and is ready to take up statistics as well.
Good, analytics is a brain game. If she enjoys, she'll do very well. The analysis is only as good as the person who is making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
The overall cost of the program is around INR 5.5 Lakhs, at this price do you think its worth. We all know the brand value that ISB carries(for MBA Program), but wondering can it give her a initial spring board to launch a career in Analytics.
Don't worry too much about brand name and pedigree. Find out whether the program is good. Good analysts will be hired irrespective of pedigree.

There is acute shortage of good BI analysts because of the need for very strong statistics background. Few years back we almost got into that business. My wife is pretty strong in statistics, and she discovered [while interviewing] that most M.Sc (statistics) graduates didn't understand fundamentals of statistics. Many take that course to became lecturers or to do timepass while waiting to get married. So we backed off from that venture.
Old 29th August 2013, 15:31   #269
Senior - BHPian

I ll give you guys a little perspective from experience.

I Have done a Diploma in Automotive engineering from K.S Polytechnic- Bangalore, A BE in Automotive Engineering from Coventry University - UK and an MBA in Engineering Management from Coventry University- UK

The Diploma, gave me in dept technical skills, made me work hands on, got my basics right at the same time, gave me automotive and mechanical problem solving skills. It prepared me for the BE in UK in such a way that I had all my technicalities in place, which got upgraded with the latest technicalities and softwares during my term at Coventry University for my BE.

Believe you me, for example, Its easier to know how a suspension works in detail and then do course works on it on Anysis than just do a course work on it without the technicalities in place. Diploma got my base super strong.

The final year projects in BE at Coventry had us diploma do really innovative stuff because we were well versed with technicalities.

After getting the technical aspects in place and upgraded while doing the BE course, the MBA was a welcome step to understand the management side of companies.

For example, Planning product strategies, marketing strategies knowing the technicalities of automotive products gives a very indept understanding of 'how and what and why'.

During the course of the MBA, with the modules and sessions going on, amazing ideas start coming to place with regards to the Indian automotive industry. I had a lot new product strategies for Indian companies by the time I was done with the MBA and this included the technical aspects of it too. It was an amazing feeling to know the management as well as the technical aspects of the workings of the automotive industry.

Now all I needed was a chance, a chance at an interview in the automotive industry to showcase what I learnt. No I was not looking for something brilliant right from the start, but atleast a start.

These are just my opinions and learning's which I garnered over the course of my education.

Now I am waiting for my shot in the automotive industry, I hope I get through, the enthusiasm is very high, the ideas are constantly coming, the strategies are constantly mentally being planned, technically innovative ideas are all cataloged for the day an interview opportunity is received.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:21   #270
BHPian

Quote:
There is acute shortage of good BI analysts because of the need for very strong statistics background. Few years back we almost got into that business. My wife is pretty strong in statistics, and she discovered [while interviewing] that most M.Sc (statistics) graduates didn't understand fundamentals of statistics. Many take that course to became lecturers or to do timepass while waiting to get married. So we backed off from that venture.
Samurai sir, thanks for your advice. My wife has indeed decided to sign up for the course.

Just received another mailer from the ISB centre for executive education team about a new programme - "Applied Business Analytics programme for Senior Professionals" in alliance with a renowned US university.

They are pitching this one to senior folks who have 15+ years of experience.

More details can be found at the below link (in case you are interested)

http://www.isb.edu/sites/default/fil...fessionals.pdf

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks