Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 11:35   #181
BHPian

Re: Good path for a Banking Career after B.Com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The particular job is not something you are interested in the long run and you are going in with an aim to quit in an year. And simultaneously you want to prepare for Bank Tests as well as do a banking related course. Obviously you won't be able to concentrate on the new job and may end up looking like an idiot or moron. And depending on the company you are joining and your manager(s) you may have a tough time.
The question you need to ask is, will you be able to give your best for bank test preparations with the work pressure? If you are confident, go for the job, if not, do some part-time course and start preparing for the test. An year's experience in an un-related industry wouldn't count in the long run.

Edit:-
Just got this HBR article from Facebook. Not completely relevant but still adds to my above point of work relate stress.
Hi Jaguar

Thanks for the reply! I was looking at the BPO job as my contingency plan, till I clear the bank test and interview. The job is Mon-Fri so I have the weekend off and I was planning to use that time to prepare. Haven't joined the job yet as my provisional mark-list is yet to arrive. After joining I'll get a clearer picture if the job and studies can go hand in hand.

The position offered to me is Associate in Finance & Accounts. Will that count towards my work experience?

And nice article BTW. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th July 2011, 12:08   #182
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Career Advice needed - MBA or work?

go and work for 2 -3 years. then go and study an MBA or whatever you wish. you will find that the work experience helps you to apply the knowledge gained at work to your case studies and business subjects in the MBA.
personally I would never recommend going for an MBA straight without some work ex. because the work ex helps you to understand all, the theories of business much better since you will have real life examples to relate all the theory to. this is what will help you added to a healthy dose of common sense and relationship building skills.
there is no substitute for real experience + common sense + relationships - to succeed in practically any walk of life. my humble submission to any aspiring honcho!
Old 28th July 2011, 15:42   #183
BHPian

Career Guidance & Inputs needed

Hello BHPians

I am looking at a career movement, currently a software Engr (employed at CMC Ltd, working for TCS, on automotive Emb Systems) with 4 yrs exp in automotive HVAC systems and Diagnostics Development. I joined CMC in september 2010, since then deputed to TCS, but rarely find any work that is interesting. I am either sulking at office for lack of work or roaming around for some documentation, this has been the case for 6 months now. With my deep interest in Automotive Systems ( armed with an M. Tech in Mechatronics), i started looking for options in Hyderabad or elsewhere. After a week, I am done with preliminary rounds and at a stage of conclusion. I have the following couple of offers at hand, very interesting but having their own set of disadvantages as well. I want suggestions from people over here to help me make a wise decision. Please pour in your thoughts on the same

Offer 1:
Company: WABCO - TVS, Ispahani Center 7th floor, Chennai
Offer: 8,50,000/- CTC
Conditions: 2 year employment term agreement (Bond)
Designation: Sr. Software Engr
Job Profile: Model Based Development Engg Team, Responsible for creating simulation models for various automotive sub systems that WABCO- TVS is involved with. The company is a small establishment, with a team of dedicated engrs, who work on models and simulations. I will be learning a lot in this team, because I have very little experience in Simulation/Model Based Development. They have confidence in my expertise which shows in the bold package they offered and the way they have laid out their selection process (It was pretty stringent and testing).

Disadvantages: Location is Chennai, whereas my native is Hyd. Company is asking me to enter into a 2yr bond, though a leigitimate point, it still can be a sudden disadvantage in unavoidable circumstances. My wife recently got a job in hyd after a break of 8 months, so she will again be in a fix to find a new job in chennai, if i shift. We currently stay with my parents. Cost of living in Chennai is unknown (though my 4 year Engg Education was in Chennai).

Offer2:
Company: KPIT Cummins Hyd - Hyundai R&D Center, Hitech City, Hyd
Offer: 6,50,000/- Marginal increase from my current CTC
Designation: Sr. Software Engineer
Details: As with earlier offer, I will again be put into Matlab/Simulink Auto Code Gen team, working on hyundai r&d projects, may be safety systems development.
An interesting point here is, I was offered the role of Tech Lead, for another team which is into embedded systems development in C (my experience lies here, but not my interest) with a CTC of 8,50,000/- but I wanted a role in Matlab/Simulink, so i was considered only for Sr. Software Engineer role, for which they can pay only the ctc mentioned in the Offer.
The Hyundai Development Center is well equipped, pretty good for an r&d center and is in collaboration with KPIT Cummins. I will be an employee of KPIT Cummins, based on performance, will be transferred into Hyundai later on.

Disadvantages: The offer of CTC is not upto my expectations, and barely manages to give a notch above my current CTC. I dont think it will be a good option to choose while switching jobs, But this job has the HOMETOWN advantage.
The offer though has variable component (offer 1 is all fixed package) which can vary from 60% to 110% depending on the performance of the company as well as individual, hence an uncertainity is thrown in.

I want valuable suggestions and inputs from you guys, to help me make a proper informed decision. I am unsure of the cost of living in Chennai, for a couple, if i want to stay closer to Nungambakkam, what options will i have, the cost etc.

In case i choose to stay in hyd and take up hyundai offer, what kind of loss is it to my career, how can it be improved and other suggestions which might help me.

Thanks a lot for reading and please to suggest a way to take it forward.

Note: MODS, please move this thread to an appropriate section if you think so.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:06   #184
BHPian

Re: Career Guidance & Inputs needed

My suggestion is to stick with you current firm and ask them to put you at the customer location in Tokyo. They do a lot of work for Nissan in the sapce you mentioned. You will love the work and the location.
Old 28th July 2011, 16:26   #185
Senior - BHPian

For Hyderabad:

1) Continue your settled life and you do not have to spend more for living (like Rent, appliances etc.)

2) Your wife earns too.

3) Since you are getting to choose what you want (I see you preferred this for some other high paid role) you should be happy.

4) Work pressure may be less(?)

For Chennai:

1) looks like an exciting role.

2) More package, but wife may not be working and extra spending for rent etc and travel to Hyderabad may nullify the extra package.

3) Living away from parents.

4) Work pressure could be more?

Vis-a-vis Chennai, Hyd offer seems better monetarily even though Chennai offers you about 2L more. If I were you I would stay back in Hyderabad and negotiate for a better salary citing the offer from Chennai, at least change the variable components or ask for a joining bonus etc.

But why not that 8.5 L package within Hyderabad? That too is not that bad, no?
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2011, 16:29   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
My suggestion is to stick with you current firm and ask them to put you at the customer location in Tokyo. They do a lot of work for Nissan in the sapce you mentioned. You will love the work and the location.
There is an issue here, basically I am an employee of CMC and deputed to TCS. So, CMC earns for renting me as a resource to TCS, and tcs would not be bothered about my career interests as long as i am filling their need for which they are paying CMC

I hate this kind of arrangement, which screws an employee's career goals, but that is how it is in most cases. I want to get out of this anyway and hence looking for options.

I am not having any liking towards onsite assignments because both me and my wife prefer being in India, atleast at a reasonable location for our parents sake !
Old 28th July 2011, 16:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
There is an issue here, basically I am an employee of CMC and deputed to TCS. So, CMC earns for renting me as a resource to TCS, and tcs would not be bothered about my career interests as long as i am filling their need for which they are paying CMC

I hate this kind of arrangement, which screws an employee's career goals, but that is how it is in most cases. I want to get out of this anyway and hence looking for options.

I am not having any liking towards onsite assignments because both me and my wife prefer being in India, atleast at a reasonable location for our parents sake !
Yes, I am well aware of that arrangement. I would have advised you further on the matter but if you have made up your mind then the Chennai position works better.
Old 28th July 2011, 18:01   #188
BHPian

Anil, you have read my situation really well, my replies in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
For Hyderabad:
1) Continue your settled life and you do not have to spend more for living (like Rent, appliances etc.)

2) Your wife earns too.
Yes, She will be shifting to chennai only after finding a suitable job for herself or may not shift at all.

3) Since you are getting to choose what you want (I see you preferred this for some other high paid role) you should be happy.

4) Work pressure may be less(?)
On the contrary, KPIT Hyd works 50hrs/week (against the usual 42 hrs/week) and from what i heard, work pressure is more !

For Chennai:

1) looks like an exciting role.

2) More package, but wife may not be working and extra spending for rent etc and travel to Hyderabad may nullify the extra package.
Again, wife would work & earn in Hyd. You are right on the travel & living expenses of chennai part though.

3) Living away from parents.
This is one important concern, but assuming I get to shift job may be after 3/4 yrs, i should be able to relocate back to hyd (but thats a hypothetic guess)

4) Work pressure could be more?
No idea. I have very few friends who know this engg center. That is one more reason I have put this up in an open forum, so people from chennai can chip in with info.

Vis-a-vis Chennai, Hyd offer seems better monetarily even though Chennai offers you about 2L more. If I were you I would stay back in Hyderabad and negotiate for a better salary citing the offer from Chennai, at least change the variable components or ask for a joining bonus etc.
Tried negotiations with the HR, but waiting for their final say which would be monday. I doubt any positive result coming out of it, seeing the developments of a stubborn HRD there. As per him, I am already stretching their budget even in that offer.

But why not that 8.5 L package within Hyderabad? That too is not that bad, no?
Within Hyderabad ? how ? TVS is in chennai. May be the Telangana issue here is prompting companies to not invest much on resources!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Yes, I am well aware of that arrangement. I would have advised you further on the matter but if you have made up your mind then the Chennai position works better.
Well, if you are aware of that arrangement and can still suggest an option then great, shall we take it on PM ?
Old 29th July 2011, 10:15   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Well, if you are aware of that arrangement and can still suggest an option then great, shall we take it on PM ?
Yes, feel free to PM me.
Old 29th August 2011, 21:34   #190
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

Hi guys, I am in dilemma regarding my career. I graduated out of IIT Bombay this year and got a job in Equity research as a Junior analyst in Bombay (I stay in Bombay too). Its only been 2 months into my job. Now many people in my office have given International CFA (Level 1 and 2 mostly). Infact the management here encourages people to do CFA as equity research deals with the basic things included in CFA syllabus. I understand that CFA will help me in doing my job better but I kind of get the feeling that with time I will learn to do my job better and that there is no need to do CFA. But there is another school of thought that by doing CFA you will get a certification and will add bownie points in your resume. I would really like to ask you guys how is CFA valued out in the market? If I do CFA will I be given any special preferrence or CFA does not matter a lot? I was thinking of attempting Level 1 this december but I wanted to know whether it is worth giving CFA as studying for it along with the job is a very tough thing. Is there anyone here who has given CFA? Any kind of advice related to this or any other path regarding my job will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 00:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

If you want to grow in Equity or Fixed income Research, CFA is mandatory in US markets. CFA also opens up avenues in Asset management.

But in both cases, it will take 4 years to get full charter. This only makes sense if you want to stick to this field.

Other verticals like PE / Sales and Trading do not value CFA.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:47   #192
BHPian

Re: Good path for a Banking Career after B.Com?

Hi Games Goblin..

Most Bank jobs (Branch Banking) involve sales. Are you open to that?

Sales could be anything from cross-selling Life Insurance products to walk-ins to hardcore door to door selling (SB/Current accounts).

You could easily get into Private banks if you are interested in the above requirements.
Old 30th August 2011, 23:58   #193
BHPian

Hi all

I have about 10 years of work experience spread out as in 1.5 in an IT education institute developing course ware

2) 1.5 in a call center telemarketing credit cards to overseas customers

3) 7 years in a large pvt bank in various departments of branch banking

I am considering a career switch to HR from banking.

Reason, in all my previous jobs i voluntarily assisted my HR in recruitment process.

I have been happiest doing HR work rather than what i was supposed to do.

I have applied to a couple of HR jobs in naukri, & got no response till date.

I am even considering doing an full time MBA in HR

Request advice on methods to be followed to switch over to HR.

I
Old 31st August 2011, 00:34   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you want to grow in Equity or Fixed income Research, CFA is mandatory in US markets. CFA also opens up avenues in Asset management.

But in both cases, it will take 4 years to get full charter. This only makes sense if you want to stick to this field.

Other verticals like PE / Sales and Trading do not value CFA.
That is my problem. I am not sure what I want to do in future. Till I am not clear about my future I will keep on thinking of doing various things. MBA is also another option.
Old 31st August 2011, 20:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

A CFA level 3 certification holds a lot of weight during b-school placements. Loads of level 1 & 2 people around, but its rare to find a level 3.
Any chance you work at Mindspace complex?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks