Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 21:55   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Management is too generic a word. Choose a field (sales, SCM, HR, Project Management etc) and work towards that.
How should one work towards going into a management role in consulting or strategy?
Old 20th June 2013, 22:06   #242
BHPian

Re: Auto-industry Job or Masters? Totally Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanza View Post
my brain is stuck in crossroads regarding the next move.
Kwanza - MSc from LSE(UK) is a great option. I have had some friends (BE graduates) who had quit their IT jobs(Accenture/Infy/Wipro) and take up this option. All of them are having very rewarding (Professionally & Financially) careers now.

I know the current UK Work Permit policies are difficult, but once you manage to land a job after college you should be good.
Old 20th June 2013, 22:07   #243
BHPian

Re: The Career Advice Thread

I'm a BCS (BSc CS) graduate with an executive diploma in management. Most recruiters don't consider anything other than full time studies whether MBA or not. I have 8+ years in IT, but I find it's a dead end from a technical perspective, beyond a point, you're expected to be in managerial capacity and technical capacity seems of little use once past 10-14 year experience range, and I do find myself at a loss when it comes to remuneration which employers base more on existing CTC than industry standard.

If have to do a full time MBA, I will have to :
1. Save a lot of money for the fees, since even MBAs are dime a dozen these days, so it's worth doing only if from a reputed institute (from employability perspective, the institute and faculty may be excellent but these days brand value is what's looked at).
2. I will need to take a break for 2 years from employment , which means savings must account for fees and expenses in the mean time.
3. I will have to study a lot just for the entrance exams - thinking like IIM level. Thing is , I'm averse to studying for the sake of answering exams, even though I like reading. I'm kind of allergic to academics, let's just say.

Do you think it is worth the effort and cost to take a break from work to do an MBA ?
I'm 33, single and have no other liabilities/debts.
Old 20th June 2013, 22:40   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Management is too generic a word. Choose a field (sales, SCM, HR, Project Management etc) and work towards that.
+1

But to be in any of these fields I have to do MBA?

I am comfortable with either sales/marketing or project management.

Last edited by bluevolt : 20th June 2013 at 22:43.
Old 20th June 2013, 23:02   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
How should one work towards going into a management role in consulting or strategy?
You should look into strategy / consulting only after being in "operations" for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
+1

But to be in any of these fields I have to do MBA?

I am comfortable with either sales/marketing or project management.
No, not for sales. Depending on which sector you choose & if you are willing to relocate there are many companies that hire graduates. Look out for sales opportunities in the BFSI / telecom sector for example. The initial years will be tough, but the experience is worth its weight in gold.
Old 20th June 2013, 23:27   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Do you think it is worth the effort and cost to take a break from work to do an MBA ?
Absolutely!, I am in similar situation just that I am going to be 29 and married. I currently work as a Tech Architect for an Auto Major.
I am planning to do my MBA next year. You are now at a point in your career where doing MBA from India(exception ISB) just doesnt cut it. Also Exec MBA (1 year) is what your target should be.
I have given my GMAT, the current tuition fees in US is a bit scary for the Top Unis ,So I am planning to do it next year (Hopefuly)
Old 21st June 2013, 00:30   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I am planning to do my MBA next year. You are now at a point in your career where doing MBA from India(exception ISB) just doesnt cut it. Also Exec MBA (1 year) is what your target should be.
I have given my GMAT, the current tuition fees in US is a bit scary for the Top Unis ,So I am planning to do it next year (Hopefuly)
So if I am to do an MBA in India, ISB is the only one to look at, not even IIMs ? what about XLRI ? I have already done executive PGDBM, so not sure executive MBA will add much worth.

I know an MBA isn't a magic wand, and the 2008 subprime episode was orchestrated by Hardvard/Yale MBA types, but I feel a pressure to have some further qualification to open some more doors for me.
Old 21st June 2013, 00:55   #248
BHPian

It depends on which picture u look at, global or Indian.
For Indian IIM, ISB, XLRI etc are the way to go. For global best stick to top global business schools.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:18   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
but I feel a pressure to have some further qualification to open some more doors for me.
Since you already have 8+ exp in Service sector, you know the grind.
International MBA would open more doors from an expsoure Level.

IIMs/XLRI are among the top BSchools in India, but if you look at the averge age group it will be in Mid 20s. ISBs/Top BSchools outside india have a more diverse group.

At the end of the day, It all boils down to what direction one wants to move the career in. You can never go wrong with any of the Top BSchools be it India/Abroad.

So, to answer your original question - Should you do an MBA? Yes thats a big resounding yes. (If possible from a premier institute at that)

Edit : I have been postponing my Higher studies for the past 3 years, it has gotten to a point know where Either I do it now or dont even think about it

Last edited by ToroRosso : 21st June 2013 at 06:25.
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:23   #250
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please suggest me some good forum (equivalent to team-bhp quality) for MBA/Management/Overall career discussions?
Old 22nd June 2013, 02:10   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Can anyone please suggest me some good forum (equivalent to team-bhp quality) for MBA/Management/Overall career discussions?
http://www.pagalguy.com/
Old 22nd June 2013, 13:54   #252
BHPian

Thanks ToroRosso and prateekm, for the link!

It's a sad thing that the world has become so paper-based, it's not much of a meritocracy as much as a flaunt your credentials race. One of my professors used to call such people thermometers - they have many degrees but little knowledge.

So I think it'll have to be more executive MBA, since quitting a job is risky at this stage, and there's the question of saving and studying. Maybe if my next job takes me abroad will help with the savings.
Old 28th June 2013, 17:44   #253
BHPian

Hello bhpians!

I just finished my 12th and engineering college will start in a few months. I have taken up electronics and communication as this field is said to have most scope. I would love to work in a field which is automobile-related, as it has been my ambition since childhood. What are the options for me after I complete my engineering? What post grad course can I take up so that I end up in the automobile field? I have no clue about what to do next. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suraj
Old 28th June 2013, 18:54   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hello bhpians!

I just finished my 12th and engineering college will start in a few months. I have taken up electronics and communication as this field is said to have most scope.
Hi Suraj,

Since you have not even started with engineering, I think it is too early for you to plan your future right now. My advice would be to just attend college and just see how much you like electrical engineering. I am sure your professors would be able to guide you much better as to how you should pursue your interests.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:53   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hello bhpians!

I just finished my 12th and engineering college will start in a few months. I have taken up electronics and communication as this field is said to have most scope. I would love to work in a field which is automobile-related, as it has been my ambition since childhood. What are the options for me after I complete my engineering? What post grad course can I take up so that I end up in the automobile field? I have no clue about what to do next. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suraj
I would suggest not joining the rat race based on what you are made to believe as "scope". Every person is different as far as abilities, aptitude and interests are concerned. What might work for person X might not for Y.

- Have you ever done hobby projects in Electronics when in school or college on your own?
- Were you fascinated and tried to explore / experiment how electronic gadgets work?

You might also like through go through this thread, if not already.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...graduates.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks