Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 14:04   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
A lot of members on this board have been abroad for a good period of time. Also, some are much older and experienced than I. In the long run, is staying back in India not a great decision?
Do you guys have any inputs?
Disclaimer; Its your life. So, your decision how to shape it.

Two thoughts which might aid you.
1) Australia is never known for quality of education. Education for Australia is like Tourism for Hawaii

2) Studying in India no more means that you'd be working in India. Similarly, even if you do MBA from a premiere US B-School, chances are high that you'd end up in Asia Pacific. It is a fact.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:44   #122

The M.B.A. Thread!! HELP ME!!

Ok here is the deal.

Currently, I am in my final year of Bachelor's of Mass Media and obviously, I want to do a masters degree further. The most obvious choice would be an MBA. I need help as to how to get into a college which offers an MBA course, etc. etc.

Any help will be appreciated!
Old 19th November 2009, 03:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus one suggestion. Work for a couple of years before pursuing your masters. Helps a lot to understand things and also helps during your Post grad education too.
One more reason i would suggest to work is in any good college you would be mingling with people with couple of years work experience and when working together this would help put things in perspective

Ways for MBA are

Indian MBA: Usually CAT, followed by CET's for the other colleges and few of the top rated colleges have their own individual exams

MBA abroad: Usually GMAT could get you into many of the top MBA schools of the world. Very competitive exam like CAT and majority of the universities ask for a minimum of 3+ years of work experience. Majority of these colleges do cost a bomb though.
Old 19th November 2009, 06:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

it's not so obvious why you want to do masters. Shouldn't you be looking for jobs?
why you want to do MBA is not that obvious either.

you will see later that if you did an MBA then, it would have been more beneficial. an MBA now will not add much to your salary or skills. Here I am talking about premium MBAs and premium jobs.

anyway, if you just needed info on how to get into a college offering an MBA, pagalguy.com would be one of the first choices.
Old 19th November 2009, 07:16   #125
Senior - BHPian

Just a small query:

How does the industry look at an MBA as a tool to orchestrate a field change?
Old 19th November 2009, 08:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

@cyrus43 : MBA is like having a bike. Everyone has it and its now getting very very common, so to get real benefits of one more degree you have to get into good institute. Any reasonably good institute will not help much. This is the only thing that can help.

[quote=Samurai;1580099This is what happens when a specialized course is offered in every college, it gets diluted to the extent that the MBA graduates don't feel any different from arts/commerce graduates. Same has happened to courses like MCA, M.Tech, and even PhD.[/quote]

Absolutely correct. For the first time, MCA seats of GTU ( Gujarat Technical University ) were not filled up fully. The BCA applications have reduced. Even MBA seats were not fully filled. Clearly, the value has gone down. My father's boss clearly mark MBA as a joke. Her daughter did MBA from IIPM-A'bad. The annul package she got was Rs. 1.5lakh/annum. The total fees for two years ? Rs. 9 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Cyrus one suggestion. Work for a couple of years before pursuing your masters. Helps a lot to understand things and also helps during your Post grad education too.
Its very difficult to go back to college after working. Moreover, once money starts coming in, irrespective of numbers, nobody would like to go for MBA after working for two-three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Just a small query:

Depends. A large company like HP or Dell or Godrej, etc. will look at what you can do for them at the end of the day. They will be less concerned about why you shifted field.
The smaller companies will ask, why you changed field ?
Please note that I am not a person running a company but got these questions when I was searching for job.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

I know its difficult to get back to books but ask any seniors of this forum who has done the same. Thats the best suggestion everyone has and your MBA has more value if countered with good work experience or internship experience.
Its the way you deal with it which is more important
Old 19th November 2009, 09:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Just a small query:

Sales is a key function for any business. To be a good sales guy, following are pre-requirments

1. Customer and Market orientation
2. knowledge of value chain, what is of importance to buyer and what is not
3. knowledge of what one selling ie. product or service
4. knowledge of competitive scenario
5. How to actually sell, keep selling, become a profitable leader
6. how to gather and use the market insights to develop new revenue streams (products, services etc)

a typical business course exposes a student to these aspects at a conceptual way. These aspects can also be learnt on the job.

MBA broaden the outlook of the student, provides him with concepts, methodology, tools to be in a position to do the primary job of SALES.

Completing an MBA can expose a candidate to the theoritical part of the business, but it is not enough to become a successful Sales / Business Manager. What matters is how the learnings are applied to the real business scenarios
Old 19th November 2009, 09:25   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its very difficult to go back to college after working. Moreover, once money starts coming in, irrespective of numbers, nobody would like to go for MBA after working for two-three years.
Just because it is difficult, don't assume people won't do it. MBA gives maximum value when done later. I took up MBA after 11 years of working, and it was mind-numbingly difficult at first. However, what really helped was I could grasp the business concepts very fast because of my long working experience. As a freshie, most of those concepts would have been Greek and Latin.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:35   #130
BHPian

In my opinion it is better to work for some time and get into higher studies. In this way you will get industry knowledge and you can understand and co relate much better when you go for higher studies. Get in to some top companies in India and most of them will have tie up with premier institutes which offers executive programs.

In my case also , our company has tie up with top schools of India inculding IIM-B. But again each every org will look at what value add they are getting from those who are passing out.

Thanks,
Gopi.

Last edited by shalini_g : 19th November 2009 at 09:38.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:50   #131
Senior - BHPian

Talking about difficult. Well i am studying at the moment for my Marketing exam which is in a couple of hours. I had close to 3 yrs experience before this. Its really difficult sitting in front of books which may be evident as i write this post. But i believe that with the way our education system is the work ex helps me understand various concepts or terms which would otherwise be tough to realize
Old 19th November 2009, 10:34   #132
Team-BHP Support

Members who newly joined this thread, I request you to read this thread from the beginning. Lot of info/advice has already been given, no point repeating it.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:07   #133

I didnt even know this thread existed. Thanks anyways. Will read through it!!
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:36   #134
Team-BHP Support

GTO, shifting the discussion here, from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1848439.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How many years of work-ex do you have?
Currently, 20 months. I'm a 2008 college pass-out. Joined work (IT) in august 2008.
Quote:
The money will! Opportunity cost = What you could be earning while you are in the classroom. If you go for Navnit's 9 month program, your opportunity cost is 9 months of your current salary.
Quote:
Fresh service advisors get paid anywhere between 7K - 15K. You ready for that?
Right now, I am more concerned about planning the long-term future. MBA, i believe is the last turning point i would have in my life, and i think it is more important to take the correct job path?

After college, opportunities to get into automobiles companies were limited, and the recession also meant I couldn't take my chances. Hence accepted the IT offer. But after 2 years, I am sure my heart does not belong here.

As for the salary, I am not worried about short-term. Have saved whatever I can from the past two years. Even took up night shifts on a regular basis (Allowances are good in IT. ). And currently I dont have any responsibilities like wife, house, EMI etc, and hence can ignore the short term.

AND, if i do join as a fresh service adviser in trivandrum with 7k only, i'd be staying at home and hence the amount will be enough to meet the short-term expenses.
Quote:
A good MBA will get you into any sector, leave aside the automotive. Lets continue our discussion in the MBA thread (you can quote my post there for replying). We are going way off-topic here.
Thats my only worry. If i can get into the automotive industry after a good MBA (And 0 months automotive experience, 2 years IT), well and good.

Here is the plan i mentioned earlier (In detail)-

1. Quit the current job in July. Leaves me with 22 months of work-experience, and a good 3-4 months to prepare for CAT and other exams. Hopefully, i will be able to get a decent institute!

2. After entrance exams get over (December?), join any of the local service centers as a fresh service advisor. I am really looking forward to that experience. AND, it should make my total work experience more than 24 months before i join classes. (Heard that companies generally take 2 years work-experience as a minimum expectation?). AND, i get to tell of atleat a basic work experience in the automotive industry.

Does this sound logical, or I am building sand castles?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd April 2010 at 15:39.
Old 23rd April 2010, 10:41   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Crazy Driver,

Lets start with the basics. You have two options : An MBA or the service advisor course. An MBA is a solid management degree (from a good uni) that teaches you advanced business skills, which can be applied to any industry. The service advisor program, on the other hand, is a very basic course that teaches you basic stuff....stuff you can learn on your weekends!

My recommendation:

- Get another year of work-ex at the minimum, and start preparing for your MBA (from a good university, again...program quality V IMP). Believe me, as an MBA myself, I can tell you that it is an investment that'll pay dividends (tangible + intangible) for life. Seriously.

- You have your heart set on the auto industry. Do some part-time tinkering in workshops over weekends or such. Just to learn the ABC.

- Once you graduate with an MBA, you could look at opportunities within the automotive industry, including OEM manufacturers, dealerships, independent ventures (such as Carnation), or even...come up with a auto-business idea of your own.

I reiterate, that Navnit program is NOT for you to pursue full-time (9 months or whatever). Your profile is over-qualified for that, and neither are you their target student.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks