Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is/are the reason(s) for India's poor performance in Olympics?
Lack of Talent? 12 20.00%
Lack of Will/Application? 23 38.33%
Lack of Facilities? 45 75.00%
Lack of Funds? 43 71.67%
Lack of Encouragement? 42 70.00%
Lack of Interest/Different priorities? 29 48.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 19:16   #91
Senior - BHPian

The other one vijender kumar has won his bout. Jitender and akhil lost their respective bouts.
So total of 3 medal this time. I hope the association helps them with facilities this time around
Old 20th August 2008, 19:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

3? Who was the other one ? I thought this was the 2nd

oh that ways Thanks Samurai

Last edited by sammyboy : 20th August 2008 at 19:50.
Old 20th August 2008, 19:46   #93
Team-BHP Support

Third one is not yet won, he can still try for silver or gold, if he wins further. But bronze is assured even if he losses the next two.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:00   #94
BHPian

The problem is.

I dont know why certain people actually "voted lack of talent"!! how talented can a guy from Ethopia be compared to someone from Delhi or Mumbai?

The only reason i couldn't do well when i was a professional tennis player was because there was this huge pressure on me to achieve academically and become an engineer too! how can i study after practicing 7hrs a day? thats insane..

The only reason Indians dont come up in sports is that they have better things to do, like if he at least concentrates on finding a job or studying his life can be secure or he can be a bread winner which is more important..

When someone tries to become a sports men in our country he has so many things going on in his head about the repructions of his failure. So most humans want to play it safe and back track..So the only way a sports men in India can win is if he burn all bridges and doesn't look back...He cant look back and he has to consider himself as a professional just like an Doctor or Engineer. So the Governement at least has to make him feel secure enough to not think about anything else. But with our current sports budget of 300crs you cant even feed cattle.

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 20th August 2008 at 20:07.
Old 20th August 2008, 20:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Good show by Boxers!

Who says we Indians don't have the physical strengths?

If only the people & Government take Sports seriously, we can win many medals in Olympics!
Old 20th August 2008, 20:42   #96
BHPian

Here is what I feel:Lack of Talent - We have enough talent for most of the events in Olympics. But, we never track or nourish them.
Lack of Will/Application - Agree. At the entry level, these sports persons objective is to get a Government job, so that we have some support.
Lack of Facilities - One the main reason why the current lot cannot compete with the rest of the world.
Lack of Funds - I think there is enough money in this country. Just that, there is no will to spend the same. Everyone involved with these are involved in making good for themselves first, and then the remaining to do a hog wash in the name of spending.
Lack of Encouragement - Yes. There is no encouragement from either the families or from the Government.
Lack of Interest/Different priorities - Every parent has only one objective. Their child has to be either a Doctor or Engineer. These days, they have to be software professionals and have to travel and settle in the US.

Another primary reason is our obsession with Cricket. This according to me is also a main culprit where in many youngsters are not taking other sports.
Old 20th August 2008, 22:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Another primary reason is our obsession with Cricket. This according to me is also a main culprit where in many youngsters are not taking other sports.
I will completely agree with this 101%. So much attention and money spent on this in my opinion. It became a commercial game.
Lack of facilities one main concern.
I know of incident when the Jawaharlal Nehru indoor stadium was refused for practising Volley balls. But they give it to almost all functions, starting from star night to actors marriage etc. Same fate with many stadiums. Why use those for public and cine functions? How do you expect the gathering crowds to maintain the infrastructures?
Investing so much money for just one game to be conducted and then the sports authority makes it like a Mahal or Manadapam
Old 20th August 2008, 23:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Third one is not yet won, he can still try for silver or gold, if he wins further. But bronze is assured even if he losses the next two.
how? there are 4 semi finalists. he could be the 4th one, not winning any medal, right?

EDIT: alright, i see both losing semifinalists get a bronze. news to me.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 20th August 2008 at 23:34.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:30   #99
BHPian

Sorry to post it at this thread, but can anybody find the video of Usain Bolt's Runs/sprints for 100, 200, and relays
Old 28th August 2008, 14:54   #100
BHPian

Once there are facilities, encouragement will come automatically.
Old 28th August 2008, 18:21   #101
Senior - BHPian

welcome to the thread
Old 6th September 2008, 20:42   #102
BHPian

OLYMPUS or OLYMPICS?

Indian team carrying CAMS during ceremony?

The cams bothered me a bit - it’s not the thing in itself but the lack of discipline that it bespeaks. You’re not just a tourist, you’re representing the country, when all eyes are on the contingent, at the opening ceremony - which once upon a time used to be a march past - when athletes actually marched past.

I think the ‘contrasting sash’ could have been replaced with a turban-with-a-flourish. Paes has the sash on scarf-style! In the old days, like 2000 Sydney, the Indian team wore blazer & slacks and a tie, with turbans that were either orange or saffron - now that could be critiqued as a colonial representation of the Indian - since that used to be the uniform back before Independence as well, such as at 1936 Berlin. Somehow that seemed more appropriate even if more ‘Western’. (Women wore blazers on top of saris.)

The girls should have been properly attired, not informally, but I thought the men looked ok. We need to find an outfit that is “us”, blazers and slacks are soooo not. And as some one else noted, the lackadaisical approach reflects indiscipline , a major factor for the lack of medals

Notice the mens footwear. They are all different, some are wearing sandals, others shoes and even chappals.
Attached Thumbnails
India in Olympics !!-indiansmarchinolympics1.jpg  

Last edited by aerohit : 6th September 2008 at 20:44.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:15   #103
BANNED

Padma awards panel ignored Olympic heroes

"Nominations of Olympic medal winners Sushil Kumar (wrestler) and Vijender Singh (boxing) were struck off by the Padma Awards Committee despite having been recommended by the sports and home ministries."

And who gets it for 2008 in sports?
  • Baichung Bhutia : Padmashri
  • Ms. Bula Chowdhury Chakraborty : Padmashri
  • Mr. Late Edmund Hillary : Padma Vibhushan
  • Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar : Padma Vibhushan
  • Viswanathan Anand : Padma Vibhushan
Old 5th March 2009, 13:29   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Viswanathan Anand : Padma Vibhushan
I guess Viswanathan Anand got it in 2007.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:34   #105
BANNED

Govt website says 2008.

Search Awardees - Padma Awards
Search Criteria: All , Year: 2008 , Field: Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I guess Viswanathan Anand got it in 2007.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks