Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2009, 13:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Both were similar from price pov - 1500 for Cylinder deposit & 720 for a 12 kg cylinder/1080 for 17kg cylinder.
Is the cylinder deposit refundable? Also, is there a list of their distributors in South Bangalore?
Old 14th February 2009, 14:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing you guys discuss costs of 750/- and 1000/- I am reminded of the days when we used to have cylinders at home in Mumbai.
Apart from the expense (We do a lot of cooking and we would consume 1 cylinder in a month) of Rs. 350/- per month, it would be most annoying to get a new cyliner, make sure someone was home and stand carefully to make sure the guy didn't screw up the floor dragging it in.

All that changed when we got Mahanagar piped gas. Works like a charm, always works and the same amount of cooking now costs us about Rs. 100/- per month.

When we moved out of my Dad's apartment, Jenny wanted a big "proper" oven. Knowing how reliable and cheap gas was I opted for a complete gas oven (Kaff, made in Italy) and frankly, I do not care how much she bakes now, it is cheaper than electricity.
The other problem was geysers and water heaters - too much electricity, no safety and I am forgetful, I would always leave the geyser on.

The guys at Mahanagar suggested gas operated geysers outside my wondow. I opted for it, they ran the pipe outside my buiding and now I have gas operated geysers in both bathrooms.
Works like a charm. It is automatic, turn the mixer towards hot and you have hot water. Instantly. Feels wonderful to have hot and cold running water at home, no need to switch it on, or wait a few minutes, or worry about turning it off.
AND it's cheaper than electricity too.

Sorry, all a bit OT: though
Old 19th April 2009, 21:00   #18
BHPian

Guys,
I will be shifting my home to Sarjapur road Trinity woods by start of next month. I have an HP gas connection but have only one cylinder. At times it will take more than 3 days to get a refill. Getting an extra cylinder will take more than 3 years as per the gas agency fellow.

So I would like to go for a second connection in my wifes name. But is it legal to have another gas connection in my wife's name at the same address?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 19th April 2009 at 21:02.
Old 30th May 2011, 13:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gas Connection for my new home!

I need to take a new gas connection in Bangalore (I stay in Koramangala area).

What is the procedure and what documents are required ? Do they insist on having a ration card ?

Which approach would be easier - to take a new gas connection in home town and get it transferred to Bangalore or to apply for a ration card in Bangalore and use it to apply for a gas connection ?

Rohan
Old 30th May 2011, 14:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I think you need a ration card to get a new gas connection in Bangalore. The private gas agencies give connection immediately without any documents. I am using an Elf (Total gas now) connection since Oct 2005.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I think you need a ration card to get a new gas connection in Bangalore. The private gas agencies give connection immediately without any documents. I am using an Elf (Total gas now) connection since Oct 2005.
I am also using private gas (Jyothi Gas) at the moment. But the prices are exhorbitant as compared to HP/Indane/Bharat.

Earlier my usage was very low, so I never bothered about the price. But now after my marriage, our usage has increased. We also have guests once in a while, which further increases the gas usage.

Petroleum prices are also increasing every day.

Hence would like to go for HP/Indane/Bharat gas.

So ration card is a must for taking new gas connection in Bangalore ?

Rohan
Old 30th May 2011, 14:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Ration card is a must for getting new connection in Bangalore. The other option is to transfer a gas connection from somewhere else.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Yes. Ration card is a must for getting new connection in Bangalore. The other option is to transfer a gas connection from somewhere else.
Just to highlight, the old connection needs to be at-least six months old, to be eligible for transfer.

if you have a six month old connection in your name, you just need a residence proof ( can be a notarized rent agreement) , 3 PP sized photos, your transfer vouchers and you are all set.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
Applying ration card in Bangalore is not difficult. if you have an address proof and the deletion certificate from your home town (or previous residency), you get the card the same day, laminated with your photograph (and they work on Saturdays). I had posted in the fuel price thread that LPG should not be subsidized for the same reason. Indane and others can give Gas on demand to general public and subsidized price only for the poor (ration card is ideal for this).
Could someone give more info on this point?
I would like to get a ration card in Bangalore, but never knew the actual procedure.
Old 9th June 2011, 08:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am facing a peculiar situation in Bangalore. My mom has a connection in her name in Mumbai. When we went to apply for a new one n my name, they refused saying in Mumbai, Dahisar, they do not issue new connections since we have Mahanagar piped gas already.
Now the question is to transfer my mother's connection to Bangalore. But she doesn't have any permanent residence proof in Bangalore in her name. Even I am staying on rent and don't have a ration card in Bangalore. (I don't intend to get a ration card transfer from Mumbai).
But I plan to buy an apartment in Bangalore and would get my mom's connection from Mumbai transferred to Bangalore when that happens. I guess an affidavit in mom's name that she stays with me will suffice right? Any other inputs?
BTW, I use Elf gas for the past 3 years. No issues in refill. But the cost is quite high. I use an induction cooker for heating milk etc. so the Gas cylinder lasts longer. :-)
Old 15th June 2011, 11:52   #26
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I use an induction cooker for heating milk etc. so the Gas cylinder lasts longer. :-)
@hrman: Which induction cooker are you using? Which brand in the market is better in your opinion?

I am looking to buy one, as the gas refil supply is getting delayed inordinately now-a-days. IOC officially says they will supply a refill cylinder only after 30days of previous supply, and in reality it takes about 35days before a refil can be obtained. Anyway, that is a different topic and probably needs a separate thread

Looking forward to your advice on which brand of induction cooker to go for.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:56   #27
BHPian

i don't think ration card is must in Bangalore to get a Gas Connection.

i got new gas connection(Indane), i don't have a ration card.

i have checked with HP as well, but they didn't ask for ration card.

here is the list of documents reqd.
1. home Documents(if it is your own) or rental agreement
2. Electricity bill
3. driving license/passport/voter id copy

once you provide the documents, there is a application form which needs to be filled and they will post the some document through register post. you have to take the document and the acknowledgment to the dealer. that's it you will get the cylinder then and there.

P.S: i got the cylinder, regulator & connection pipe(excluding Gas Stove) delivered on the same day(Saturday) without documents. i pestered him since my house warming ceremony is on Monday and sunday being holiday. i collected the documents on Monday.
Old 15th June 2011, 13:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
i don't think ration card is must in Bangalore to get a Gas Connection.

i got new gas connection(Indane), i don't have a ration card.

i have checked with HP as well, but they didn't ask for ration card.

here is the list of documents reqd.
1. home Documents(if it is your own) or rental agreement
2. Electricity bill
3. driving license/passport/voter id copy

once you provide the documents, there is a application form which needs to be filled and they will post the some document through register post. you have to take the document and the acknowledgment to the dealer. that's it you will get the cylinder then and there.

P.S: i got the cylinder, regulator & connection pipe(excluding Gas Stove) delivered on the same day(Saturday) without documents. i pestered him since my house warming ceremony is on Monday and sunday being holiday. i collected the documents on Monday.

Which area in Bangalore did this happen? Would you mind giving the name of the dealers?
Old 15th June 2011, 14:39   #29
BHPian

@pramodpk

i stay in Kalena Agrahara(near meenakshi temple on bannergatta road).
Indane: The dealer is in Hulimavu on Bannergatta road behind the ICICI Bank.
HP: the dealer is in Gottigere on Bannergatta Road(it the level velow ground but you can see the board and there is a hotel next to it)

i dont remember both the dealer's name. will post the exact details later
tht'snotME is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
@hrman: Which induction cooker are you using? Which brand in the market is better in your opinion?

Looking forward to your advice on which brand of induction cooker to go for.
I am using the Pigeon brand induction stove. It cost 3100 about a couple of years back. Came with a free Induction ready pressure cooker and a kadai. I think it costs 3400 now.
But it is worth it. Prestige is costlier. I don't think the brand matters too much here. And I have not had any problems so far.
But do keep in mind that the vessels need to be of steel and should be flat bottomed or induction ready. Our conventional aluminium cookware, round bottom steel vessels, sandwich or copper bottom will not work.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks