Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2008, 02:06   #1
A.R
BHPian

Gas Connection for my new home!

I'm moving into a new flat & looking for a gas connection. Now I coudn't get HP/Indane/BharatGas since I do not have a Ration Card. So checked out the private Folks - Jothi & Elf. Both were similar from price pov - 1500 for Cylinder deposit & 720 for a 12 kg cylinder/1080 for 17kg cylinder.

Do you guys have experience with any of these private service providers - Jothi or Elf gas? Reliability? & more importantly Safety?

Thanks, AR
Old 10th November 2008, 09:52   #2
BHPian

Apply for a ration card and show the acknowledgement that you have applied for it. This should work.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:02   #3
BHPian

Have been using Jothi for at least 10 years. No complaints on safety. Important is that they deliver immediately after booking or you can go yourself and pickup . Yes the cost is approx 750 per cyl.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Best way to get cylinder at Bangalore is from your home town..

Apply one connection in you home town in your name. You can transfer this connection to anywhere in India after 3 months. You can get connection at you home town immediately. Try to transfer your old connection to Bangalore by any means (It may not be in your name). You have to arrange some kind of address proof of your house for the person whose name cylinder was there.

Little problem, but this way you can get no doubt.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:46   #5
BHPian

Better to transfer gas connection in your parents name as you can say they have relocated to Bangalore. Submit the cylinders at your hometown. Get the reciept for the same along with a letter from the agency that it is OK to shift in Bangalore.
IN Bangalore simply submit the document and get the clyinders.It takes 2 to 3 weeks but it happens
Old 10th November 2008, 17:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
It takes 2 to 3 weeks but it happens
It is immediate procedure. No delays. Only it takes time required to submit and get back the connection at the destination. You have papers so no delay.

At least I have observed in my case and few of my friends case.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:36   #7
BHPian

I had an extra connection at my native. When I came to Bangalore, I got it transferred. Now I m in pune and I got it transferred here as well.
Old 10th November 2008, 19:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
You can get connection at you home town immediately.
In which town you get immediate connection? I haven't seen anyplace wherein you get immediate connection.
Old 10th November 2008, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In which town you get immediate connection? I haven't seen anyplace wherein you get immediate connection.

I got my connection across the counter in Cochin. I paid the deposit and charges and took home the regulator and cylinder.

Secondly every time we moved the trasfer was instantaneous. Surrender the cylinder and the regulator and the old deposit receipt and book- they will give you back your deposit refund (less the transfer charges) - and the transfer letter to the city that you are moving to . When you get to your new place - find out who the dealer servicing your are is, go give them the transfer letter pay your deposit and go home with your new cylinder and regulator. Lately however the dealers have been instructed to deliver the first cylinder (whether new connection or on shift).

I had read some time back that new connections are available on demand. If you do not have a ration card there is this declaration that one has to give - saying you do not possess a ration card anywhere else either and that you have no gas connection in your name anywhere in the country. Please approach the nearest IOC/BP office -they will give you the details.
Old 10th November 2008, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't know about Bangalore, but yes, this is true for Punjab & Haryana. You get an immediate connection & even for transfer, the process is immediate. Submit the old connection along with regulator & the book, get the refund in 10-15 mins alongwith a transfer voucher for whatever city you want.
Old 11th November 2008, 01:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I got my connection across the counter in Cochin. I paid the deposit and charges and took home the regulator and cylinder.

Secondly every time we moved the trasfer was instantaneous. Surrender the cylinder and the regulator and the old deposit receipt and book- they will give you back your deposit refund (less the transfer charges) - and the transfer letter to the city that you are moving to . When you get to your new place - find out who the dealer servicing your are is, go give them the transfer letter pay your deposit and go home with your new cylinder and regulator. Lately however the dealers have been instructed to deliver the first cylinder (whether new connection or on shift).

I had read some time back that new connections are available on demand. If you do not have a ration card there is this declaration that one has to give - saying you do not possess a ration card anywhere else either and that you have no gas connection in your name anywhere in the country. Please approach the nearest IOC/BP office -they will give you the details.
Oh I forgot - The above is from personal experience when I moved from Cochin to Bangalore, and again from Bangalore to Coimbatore.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:20   #12
A.R
BHPian

In Bangalore, you just cannot get a new gas connection without a Ration Card, whether its HP, Indane or BharatGas. Applying for a Ration Card & waiting for its issue is simple & will take some time - around a month to two.

But I am in a hurry & need to move in within a week since wife is returning post delivery. And I've really been busy with audit work at office.

Hence my question on reliability & safety of private operators - Elf & Jothi.

Thanks, AR
Old 12th November 2008, 00:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Best way to get cylinder at Bangalore is from your home town..
I did it in different way. I just applied for a Ration Card in my home town and get it delivered in one week(after some political pressure) Then I transferred the Ration card to chennai. I got the Gas connection now.
Old 16th November 2008, 22:49   #14
A.R
BHPian

Finally got Elf gas connection, with 17kg cylinder, total cost = Rs 3100
Old 17th November 2008, 19:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
In Bangalore, you just cannot get a new gas connection without a Ration Card, whether its HP, Indane or BharatGas. Applying for a Ration Card & waiting for its issue is simple & will take some time - around a month to two.

But I am in a hurry & need to move in within a week since wife is returning post delivery. And I've really been busy with audit work at office.

Hence my question on reliability & safety of private operators - Elf & Jothi.

Thanks, AR
Applying ration card in Bangalore is not difficult. if you have an address proof and the deletion certificate from your home town (or previous residency), you get the card the same day, laminated with your photograph (and they work on Saturdays). I had posted in the fuel price thread that LPG should not be subsidized for the same reason. Indane and others can give Gas on demand to general public and subsidized price only for the poor (ration card is ideal for this).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks