Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 23:38   #106
BHPian

Re: On Corruption in India

The only thing that we Indians don't have to pay for is the air we breed. There isn't a single job that can be done without paying that few extra bucks to the government officials. The situation is so bad that its difficult for honest officials to work. Look at how the Maharashtra official was burnt alive for doing his duty.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that the public is responsible for abetting corruption. I think so. The need to get the things done faster than anyone else at any cost is the basically the first step to corruption.

Let me give an example. MSEB guys had dug up a trench near my society for laying a cable and left in unfilled after the job was done. For almost 3 months I corresponded with the MSEB officials to get the work done. But no one responded. But I persisted with my regular phone call and mails to the authorities. Finally the guys come and fill the trench and had the guts to tell me that if only I had paid the Jr Engr, things would have been completed within 3-4 days which took 4 months. Did I at any time feel like entertaining the MSEB guys. Frankly yes it did on a couple of occassions, but then I realized why should I pay them extra when they are already being paid salary to their job. I may be in their books for all wrong reason but atleast my conscience is clear.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

Today I was taking the Bus to the office. A guy comes in and gives the conductor 5 rs and the conductor returns 2 rs without a ticket. Since I was with my friend, we jokingly asked the guy why he wouldn't want the ticket and how people complain about things without doing the right things. The conductor who was hearing to the conversation might have felt uneasy and he asked for the extra one rupee and gave the ticket. Felt good about talking about it and seeing the result.

Regarding the burning of the official in Maharastra, there should be a speedy trial and should be given death sentences before the tragic event fades away from the Maha Juntas minds.

Last edited by srishiva : 28th January 2011 at 10:23.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does this mean that the public is responsible for abetting corruption. I think so. The need to get the things done faster than anyone else at any cost is the basically the first step to corruption.
I don't think that holds true in all cases. I did my undergrad at a university in AP. we have to bribe the officer to get our marks list every year. One of my friend tried the right way and has to wait for more than a year and that too got his marks list by using his contacts and money. If you don't pay them they you on a wicthhunt.
Old 29th January 2011, 05:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I'm wary of concluding its an "Indian" thing to encourage corruption. Perhaps its a lack of the work ethic that is at the core of a society such as the US that makes people lazy and opting for the easy way out.
Precisely my thoughts. Indians haven't even heard of working off your tails to achieve something you've set your mind on. It's an environment of hope, passion, do-or-die attitude, kindda like something you feel while watching an inspirational movie, or a patriotic song, that can get us out of this deep hole.

The Indian society lacks maturity, or the processes that would help an individual gain some. I'd say that absence of movies like Matrix and Shutter Island in Bollywood is an indication, people who can understand these movies are people who can think at a level that enables them to understand the cons of seemingly insignificant acts like replying on a 'hari patti' to get away with offenses and crimes.

Regarding education, I think that it makes no difference, not here. I have friends who'll end up in IITs with very good ranks, but they don't see a problem in spitting on roads and littering.
Old 29th January 2011, 07:51   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
The Indian society lacks maturity,
Now that you have brought it up, society and government work against the laws of nature. Business and lawlessness actually work as nature intended it. (which is why government and businesses are always clashing).

In other words, if you let everybody loose, they will go to lawlessness and "the strong (or cunning) always wins" mode. It takes a lot of effort, time and money on the part of government, society, religion etc to keep things civil. We lack that in india, and expecting a miracle that will solve all these problems will be utter foolishness.

You are probably in school, think in terms of entropy, which always increases. You can bring things back to an order but that will equire a lot of energy and eventually end up in further increasing entropy.
Old 29th January 2011, 10:40   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
We elect our leaders, but dont have time to catch their collars and question them.

Urban Folks (Salaried Pros) : are busy in making property, buying cars, going on vacations, securing the family, etc., we do all this hoping that the leaders will take care of our needs, but unfortunately this is not happening and our leaders are happy gobbling the money we pay as taxes because, they know the fact that we dont have time to question them.

Rural Folks (Labour class, lazy guys, etc.,): dont have rights to ask the leaders because they have not elected them free (Rs1000, quarter bottle,Biryani, silk sarees, 1g Gold coin, etc.,).

Youth (18- till they are employed): Among the youth few are busy chasing the chicks, few them are busy hunting jobs, few them planning to settle in abroad, etc., these guys have their own tensions

Senior Citizens: Dont have energy to fight the goons.

Ladies: less said the better.

Children: They dont have voting power. So they cant question.

Business people: ????

So the question is who will question our leaders, when are going to ask them the accountability of their leadership, our taxes, etc.,. They gobble our tax money and that being not enough, they want the bribes too and we happily pay them because, we dont have time you see.
and you've hit the nail on the head. I would LOVE to see people in the streets of India, protesting against their, and lets be honest, crappy, crappy government. Just like whats happening in Egypt right now. You guys, the voters, have to question your own government and leaders. As they say, "throw the bums out".

@DKG: Not everyone in the US is lazy and lacking work ethic .
Old 29th January 2011, 14:32   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Now that you have brought it up, society and government work against the laws of nature. Business and lawlessness actually work as nature intended it. (which is why government and businesses are always clashing).

In other words, if you let everybody loose, they will go to lawlessness and "the strong (or cunning) always wins" mode. It takes a lot of effort, time and money on the part of government, society, religion etc to keep things civil. We lack that in india, and expecting a miracle that will solve all these problems will be utter foolishness.

You are probably in school, think in terms of entropy, which always increases. You can bring things back to an order but that will equire a lot of energy and eventually end up in further increasing entropy.
Yups, I've related the situation to that (entropy). Increase in randomness is natural.

But that also means accepting whatever's going on as natural, and also accepting that like all highly advanced civilisations of the past, ours will reach a precipice and then collapse. Call me a naive young guy if you want, but I can't just do that.

We owe what we are today to individuals of spirit and passion, who resisted natural creature comforts of rest and recreation to bring to us the sum of knowledge and technology we have today, and a little of that is all that's required to put the world on the right track. We all have such huge potentials, so highly evolved brains [alas, but not minds], I'll put my faith in humanity, and hope that we will evolve. That's what drives life, after all, the hope of a better tomorrow and the passion to go for it.
Old 30th January 2011, 23:07   #114
Senior - BHPian

Amazing story of a person who stood up to the system and did his bit:

Part 1:
» What it takes to stand up and fight ? Guest Post by Prahlad . || Satyameva Jayate ||

Part 2:
» What it takes to stand up and fight ? Part II . || Satyameva Jayate ||
Old 31st January 2011, 14:58   #115
BHPian

In India we are also heading to evaluation period. We may not see the effect soon but may be in few year. Sunday 30th Jan there was quite a few Rally Against the Corruption that we are facing in our country. Mainly we need to be enough mature and take a various step to fight against the wrong step that the GOVT is doing. It was done in 55 city across India. The Rally should not be against any specific Party. It against the Culprit.

Hope soon the day will come.

Last edited by Sowmya : 31st January 2011 at 15:03. Reason: Added more info
Old 1st February 2011, 15:41   #116
BHPian

When we were about to leave Ooty when we visited, a policeman was stopping cars and demanding hafta.When he came to our's the driver told him who my dad was, and he ran away. But the next time I go to Ooty and the same thing happens, I plan to get down, put my hand in my pocket, and stretch my arm at the guy. Guess what is in my hand? A 1 rupee coin. This is how one must fight corruption.

@Ghodlur: did you try using RTI?
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:03   #117
Senior - BHPian

I heard A. Raja was arrested. Thats some positive step to 'show' atleast.
Next Kallu and Chavvu should be arrested and put to shame.
Old 3rd February 2011, 00:15   #118
Senior - BHPian

@Prince: TN is going to polls. Takes 5 months to arrest a culprit who swindled something equal to Mr Gates fortune.

PS: 2 commitees to look into black money. 1 will find the people and 2 will hide their details. God bless democracy.

This is a failed system just because the people who are at the top are corrupt and never touched by legalities or justice. The law and order system is totally in shambles as a police inspector who is the first person to get to solve a case can be easily bribed. Trust me even if your life is under threat they will not bother to do anything.

System should get more transparent and we should awake from our slumber of kuch nahin hoga ya koi aur hamara gandagi saaf karega style.

Gandhi would be surely rolling in his grave and Bhagat singh would be really disappointed to see what his lifes value was.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:39   #119
BHPian

Coming soon... World Cup 2011 Scam.

Will this time our CBI / Police and GOVT will have a precaution measurement for the scam ? Or will CBI has to prepare a Scam report after every thing is over

I have a doubt after Raja arrested...
What happen to the money that Spectrum Raja has mismanaged. Will GOVT will seize the money/assets that Raja has ? Similar question for all the Scam.

Last edited by Sowmya : 3rd February 2011 at 14:21. Reason: Added few more details
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:07   #120
BHPian

Raja arrested, finally some good news. A small step for him, but a big step for the country.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks