Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 10:20   #1
BANNED

On Corruption in India

Hi team,
Read an article in TOI today which says that out of 4500 crore of relief grant to farm loan waiver in karnataka during 2004-2006 about 1000 crore, yes nearly 1000 crores was misused and siphoned off by corrupt officials.

I was aghast at the scale of the crime and my God! is there any morality left in this country of ours?

If we are in the right senses we should be baying for the blood of those responsible, I am feeling like that right now...

Last edited by zaks : 18th December 2008 at 10:23.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:47   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The whole electoral system is feeding into the growth of corruption.

With the majority of Indians remaining illiterate the vote bank invariably is mobilised through monetary inducements. What this means is that to win an MLA or MP seat you need to spend in crores. I believe a typical CM win entails 3500 crores.

Now obviously our political parties have to get this money continually. I am not aware of the quantum of donations they receive from business houses but clearly corruption is the way to fill their coffers. It is this trend that unleashes a wave of corruption that pervades all aspects of governance.

What's the solution? Educating the populous and making them aware of how these crooks winning elections are letting them down. Only an aware and informed electorate will ensure the right men/women get elected and not crooks who buy votes.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:52   #3
BHPian

High time all tbhpians take a pledge to vote in the forthcoming elections in case we have not done it.
Let us be responsible citizens....................
Old 18th December 2008, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Terrorism, Corruption is another big menace which is hampering the growth and progress of our Country.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:02   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What's the solution? Educating the populous and making them aware of how these crooks winning elections are letting them down. Only an aware and informed electorate will ensure the right men/women get elected and not crooks who buy votes.
Do you think the common people are not aware of this? They know it very well but still they do it, why?

A corrupt government doesn't lead to a corrupt system, it is the other way around, meaning Indian people in general encourage, support and tolerate corruption. Yeah, there are some exceptions but they are like a drops in an ocean.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only 1000 crore siphoned off? I think our politicians have actually started working. Its time for a celebration!cheers:

Old 18th December 2008, 11:18   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I'm wary of concluding its an "Indian" thing to encourage corruption. Perhaps its a lack of the work ethic that is at the core of a society such as the US that makes people lazy and opting for the easy way out.

I'll share an interesting incident I noticed when in Sweden. I boarded a bus only to find no ticket collector. I was amused to see passengers take out their passes and have it punched themselves and take a seat. I did the same and asked a fellow passenger how come everyone ensures the ticket is punched. He replied "We all know that if we don't pay for the system we won't have the bus anymore. Which is why as responsible citizens we have to pay for services enjoyed"

I sat back in amazement coz here in India people would walk out with seats from a bus if they weren't monitored
Old 18th December 2008, 11:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With the majority of Indians remaining illiterate the vote bank invariably is mobilised through monetary inducements. What this means is that to win an MLA or MP seat you need to spend in crores. I believe a typical CM win entails 3500 crores.

Now obviously our political parties have to get this money continually. I am not aware of the quantum of donations they receive from business houses but clearly corruption is the way to fill their coffers. It is this trend that unleashes a wave of corruption that pervades all aspects of governance.

*AHEM*

How many of your educated friends are actually involved in political system.
Forget about political system - lets talk about simple thing as meeting the local MLA/MP from the constituency, and taking that person to task for all the problems.
Voting?

How many?

I'm afraid Education is not gonna help here.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:30   #9
BHPian

dude you really think only 1000 crores was gone due to corruption??? leave the statistics. its most likely to be otherway round 1000 crores Might have reached the farmers
Old 18th December 2008, 11:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I sat back in amazement coz here in India people would walk out with seats from a bus if they weren't monitored

That a good one. Very true DKG. Its the same in most developed countries. I have experienced the same in SBT buses in Singapore as well.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:35   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The electorate votes not because of ideological concerns but because someone pays them to vote. The last I heard people were paid 150 Rs and three packs of biryani per day to attend rallies. Its a money game now. For people to vote on ideology they need to be educated so that 1. they are more aware and 2 they can earn a better livelihood

Unless we see this change crooks and murderers will continue to buy votes and get into the system and then make truck loads of money through corruption.

If people feel this is not the reason for corruption then do explain why else things have gone from bad to worse

I know some people who had served as MP's and now their sons are opting to stay away from politics as they feel its become too dirty. The element of killing people is what seems to have become the order of the day in most states

Last edited by DKG : 18th December 2008 at 11:46.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:00   #12
Team-BHP Support

Why do people think education will make any difference. College elections take place in colleges where candidates and voters are often studying to be post graduates. Still we have votes being bought on basis of Caste, state, money, booze etc.,
Even if voting is restricted to PhDs even then you will have corruption. Corruption is in the genes, not in literacy or illiteracy.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:11   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why do people think education will make any difference.
Education is the way for the average Indian to improve his livelihood and realise his dreams. If people are empowered to improve their condition through improved livelihood then increasingly money will play a smaller role in vote casting. That's the logic.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Education is the way for the average Indian to improve his livelihood and realise his dreams. If people are empowered to improve their condition through improved livelihood then increasingly money will play a smaller role in vote casting. That's the logic.
Really
Reality does not show otherwise. I have seen elections in engineering colleges where votes were on basis of state and caste. Education changed nothing there. Does education change car owners from bribing cops?
Funnily, the most honest people I have met are ones who cant read or write in any language.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree. Education is over romanticised in India.

We are just a corrupt dirtying society always looking for short cuts - from the builders like Omaxe who cut corners in 60+ L flats, to defence ministries where COFFIN scams of war heroes happens, where the entire grant for animal fodder disappears. Its a complete myth that education will solve things.

I think a long sustained recession with mass famine and breakdown of institutions will help people realize the uselessness of freeloading.

/will not belabor with the story of my servant who was some 4/5th pass and had as many kids. Or the maid for whom making babies was an annual affair despite my mom making her sit through family planning TV, give her gyan and even offer cash support. Or our laloo ji.

Education My foot!

Ok, I will not even go to how I've seen even PhD type people do simple things as throw chips packet wrappers on the ground while driving.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks