Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2008, 11:54   #16
BHPian

This is not yet a part of most long distance trains. The trains which are truly superfast and stop at very few station, are the only ones to be equipped with this coach so far. For ex., you will have all those over-crowded mail trains to be equipped with these coaches first.

Garib Rath already had more number of births than a normal AC3 (72/75 against 64). But Laloo's officials have outdone themselves by making it comparable to Normal Sleeper Class with AC being an add on.

I hope that after elections, if BJP comes in power, they overturn this stupid decision. Definitely more people are travelling, but with a general class like experience. Yucks to those people who invented this trashy idea.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:00   #17
BANNED

I first thought that this thread is a practical joke. It is scary even to think of this - I need to travel around 500 KM on trans a week. Mostly during night time.

One of most feared "events" on non-AC coaches has been something falling out of my pocket and going down / getting stuck between the berth and the side wall.

On the SMB thingie, the windows will helpfully provide a easy way out for the things falling out of my pocket.

And think of the quarrels between the person on the SMB and SLB - one wants the window up, other wants it down.

I have just one word for this thing - yuck!!!!!

And so far, my fav. seat has been the side upper berth. Because I had to sit up waiting for my arrival station (usually arriving between 3 AM and 5 AM in both directions) Not anymore, it seems. I will not have enough head room to stay seated.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 20th December 2008 at 21:01.
Old 20th December 2008, 21:21   #18
BHPian

Its ridiculous on the part of the Railways to do this.

The biggest screw up is the reservation system is not synced up with this new system, so when you book your ticket you get one number assigned on the ticket, and when you board the train, utter confusion because the numbering is different.

What the hell were they thinking when they implemented this ??
Old 20th December 2008, 21:38   #19
BHPian

this is the only thing i can do !!

but in my opinion the trains which mostly travels at night are fine but not for the day commuters...

like if we go form delhi -howrah ,so we can manage an adjustments of 4-5hrs. but if we go delhi-bangalore/chennai in which there is 3 days travel then the person who is in this seat is gone for sure
Old 20th December 2008, 22:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled quite a lot by trains and this SMB concept totally sucks !

As it is - the length of the side berth is suitable for kids below and up to 10 years and now this one more guy in the middle - it's going to get congested there.
Old 20th December 2008, 23:19   #21
BHPian

Guys, you are missing the point. As per the question, in 2nd AC (Two tier AC) there should only be two berths on each side. So to add SMB as practiced in 3rd AC and sleeper, in 2nd AC to increase the revenue and fit in more people, railways, would think of adding MBs in the compartment as well. Granted that would make it 3rd AC but with curtains. So logically thinking, they would not add just an SMB in 2nd AC.
Old 21st December 2008, 16:32   #22
BHPian

Latest feedback on the SMB which was criticised by all, is that there is indeed a plus point in the misery. It seems tall people are finding it comfortable in comparison to the old side berths in reference to their lengths. These are lengthier, Ii mean the side berths in the SMB coaches.
Old 21st December 2008, 17:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yep, they added this extra seat for SL and 3AC coaches in some trains.

And unfortunately they did it for 1 of the trains I take almost weekly. I have never seen a more crappier idea - for those that have the misfortune of sleeping on the new side seats, it could be the train equivalent of the Japanese capsule hotel.

Railways have come up with lots of such hideous ideas to boost revenue, and at the same time gloating that they do this without hiking ticket fares, like :

1. The painful 3rd side-seat - for each SL coach, they get money from 9 more passengers compared to the previous total of 72 passengers.

2. Hiked the minimum cancellation charge from Rs20 to Rs40.

3. Hiked the Tatkal charges from the initial Rs50 to Rs150 for SL and Rs300 for 3AC.

And anyway Tatkal is just a big joke, with passengers being the butt of the joke and the Railways laughing all the way to the bank. If you guys remember, Tatkal was started as a way for a passenger to travel in an emergency at just 1 days notice, and they charged Rs50 for this. Fine.

Now, tickets can be booked 5 days in advance and the fee became 3 times what it was.

Had been waiting to vent this for a long time. Finally an avenue.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st December 2008 at 17:20.
Old 26th December 2008, 18:07   #24
BHPian

Pathetic! This way, they might also consider adding berths above the aisle through the length the coach!

Tatkal is one way of charging extra rates for late customers instead of offering discount for those who book well in advance.
Old 27th December 2008, 23:02   #25
BHPian

Just travelled yesterday & though I fed in lower berth into the IRCTC reservation system was alotted a side upper .

Very poor experience - you just have to slide onto the berth - absolutely no space to sit up at all anymore
Old 28th December 2008, 12:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

'just returned home this morning from Madras by Chennai Express (SL) and that does have the SMB. As for congestion, the main problem I guess would be climbing in and out of the berth, except for the lower. It'd be all the more of a problem for people passing thru the already narrow aisle!

And as for changing of alloted berths, this happened to me and 2 friends I was travelling with! We booked the tickets to & fro in tatkal and took the printouts....but on checking the chart before boarding the return train last evening, all 3 of our berths had been changed! 'wonder why...?
Old 28th December 2008, 14:15   #27
BHPian

Good news guys. There is case raised against it and now the third birth will be removed. Govt. approval is received for the same. This was publised in newspaper as well...
Old 28th December 2008, 14:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thank God for that. I hope they do away with this at the earliest.
Old 28th December 2008, 20:59   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yep, they added this extra seat for SL and 3AC coaches in some trains.

And unfortunately they did it for 1 of the trains I take almost weekly. I have never seen a more crappier idea - for those that have the misfortune of sleeping on the new side seats, it could be the train equivalent of the Japanese capsule hotel.

Railways have come up with lots of such hideous ideas to boost revenue, and at the same time gloating that they do this without hiking ticket fares, like :

1. The painful 3rd side-seat - for each SL coach, they get money from 9 more passengers compared to the previous total of 72 passengers.

2. Hiked the minimum cancellation charge from Rs20 to Rs40.

3. Hiked the Tatkal charges from the initial Rs50 to Rs150 for SL and Rs300 for 3AC.

And anyway Tatkal is just a big joke, with passengers being the butt of the joke and the Railways laughing all the way to the bank. If you guys remember, Tatkal was started as a way for a passenger to travel in an emergency at just 1 days notice, and they charged Rs50 for this. Fine.

Now, tickets can be booked 5 days in advance and the fee became 3 times what it was.

Had been waiting to vent this for a long time. Finally an avenue.
Some more things to add to this.
Earlier IDs were mandatory for Tatkal tickets to prevent misuse by agents. Now its no longer needed. Jai Laloo.
Second point: If a train goes from Bangalore to Delhi, and I need to go to some place in between I paid fare only upto that point plus 50 earlier. Now wherever I get in or get out of the train, I pay Bangalore to Delhi plus 150 or 300 depending on class.
The term given for these new sleeper and 3AC coaches is High Capacity coaches.
Earlier Tatkal meant an additional Sleeper coach on select long distance trains. Today 10% of Sleeper, 3AC, 2AC of all trains is reserved for Tatkal.
Many Indian and Foreign Biz Schools felicitated Laloo. Wonder if any of those deans have ever boarded our trains.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Good news guys. There is case raised against it and now the third birth will be removed. Govt. approval is received for the same. This was publised in newspaper as well...
Any pointers to the source. It would be a relief to see the thing out of trains in future

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks