Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 13:58   #1
BHPian

Are side berths in Indian Railways Made 3 seater ? EDIT: Not anymore

Hi

Wanted to confirm if anyone is aware if the IN railways have implemented the 3 side berth concept on all the trains ?

My friend who travelled recently told me that for Sleeper class, its been done. I was wondering if it is the same in 2AC ?

My concern in here is that I am trying to book a 2AC ticket 3 months from now, and all I see is only 18 seats available. If I assume that there are 6 sections of berths in each 2AC coach (correct me here if I am wrong), then all I am left is to book the side berth (which I hate being a 3 seater)

Wanted your help before booking the tickets

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 18th December 2008, 14:02   #2
BANNED

In 2 tier AC you will have 2 berths one above the other. So six in all. The side berth is 2 seater.

In 3 tier AC it was 2 on the side. So eight in all. Due to the curve of the bogie you cannot have 3 there. Unless they have changed the design.

Last edited by Spitfire : 18th December 2008 at 14:05.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:03   #3
jat
BHPian

I think, for 2AC, it is not done, yet. Atleast not on all train.

On 3 tier system (3AC included), they have fitted a third berth on the side and it is quite uncomfortable.

Last edited by jat : 18th December 2008 at 14:06.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been started for SL class atleast. Dont think everything would have been converted.

Seat allocation is not on the lines you mention. Those 18 seats would be spread out, and not necessarily the last 2 blocks you think they are. Also, there are typically 8 sections in the A/c coaches (?). Definitely 9 sections in the SL class.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:06   #5
BHPian

Hearing this for the 1st time myself!

But 3 berths on the side seems funny!

2 people sit in the current side berth funda ! where will the 3rd one sit?

Rest assured it will never happen in a 2nd ac for sure!

Usually only 6 people sit in one section of a 2nd ac ( 4 + 2 side berth wale)unless u have the rac folks squeezing in to add to the count....

knowing lallu yadav anything is possible ,in bihar ppl sit on the train top/engines so that would make it what 100 people on 1 berth

happy travelling otherwise!
Old 18th December 2008, 14:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
... Due to the curve of the bogie you cannot have 3 there. Unless they have changed the design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
...On 3 tier system (3AC included), they have fitted a third berth on the side and it is quite uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It has been started for SL class atleast. Dont think everything would have been converted...
The side berth are a pain even now due to the length and now, with this change, it might become a bigger pain, especially for tall people!

Now unless, they raised the height of the bogey itself, I do not know how they have accomodated the new berth.

And does this mean that they are doing away with the RAC concept? For RAC to work you need tobe able to have a 2 seater - 1 berth combination, else it is defeated.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:19   #7
BHPian

It is indeed true in SL and 3AC that a third seat is being added to each cube of the existing 8 seats hence making it 9. I dont believe it would ever happen for the 2AC.
What they are doing is that they are reducing the height of the top seat on the side and hence are able to squeeze in one additional sleeper there.
Now to the question on where that third person would seat during the day, IR had the answer of him being accomodated on the 3 seater side i.e. 4 folks sitting on one side of the 3 sleeper berths of the day.
I have seen these coaches on both SL and 3AC and believe me they are really very uncomfortable and leads to lot of quarrels as a lot of folks dont know about this and dont want to sit/sleep there.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Now to the question on where that third person would seat during the day, IR had the answer of him being accomodated on the 3 seater side i.e. 4 folks sitting on one side of the 3 sleeper berths of the day.
Wow! you pay for a 3rd ac and get an experience of a general dibba

Imagine someone doing a hyd-assam journey in those 3 side berths! he'll have to head out to a kerela spa the moment he gets down @ guwahati to get back in shape

Jai ho Bhartiya Rail!
Old 18th December 2008, 14:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Imagine someone doing a hyd-assam journey in those 3 side berths! he'll have to head out to a kerela spa the moment he gets down @ guwahati to get back in shapeJai ho Bhartiya Rail!
You hit a bulls eye in this. I am planning the same route hyd-hwh, and I am scared to think of the trouble on the 3 side berth if it is set up in 2AC.

By the way,does anyone have any clue about the number of sections in a 2AC coach ? This should give me more inputs on the availability.

Anyone
Old 18th December 2008, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes, in 3rd AC and sleeper they have made changes in side berths from 2 seat to 3 seats. When I traveled during October at that time booking was not open for additional seat. Booking was for same old 8 seat. But the ninth seat was present in the side.

It is quite horrible when you see the one more berth comeup and you cannot sit even half bend body in that seat.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

There was first the Side Upper and Side Lower. Then some intelligent being in the Indian Railways decided why not have a Side Middle. The concept of Side Middle applies only to 2nd Sleeper and 3 Tier AC or 3rd AC as its known popularly.

This does not apply to Second AC and First AC.

The side middle concept was first implemented only in the night trains ie trains that leave by 8 or 9 pm and reach their destinations on the morning of the next day.

These are being extended to long distance trains also. However there is a lot of opposition to this. Dunno if anything can happen.

As someone pointed out the seating for this Side Middle is in the Lower Berth Seats (not the side lower)

For coaches that have Side Middle RAC does not come into the picture. There will be no RAC allocation in these coaches.

The way the berth is designed to operate is very interesting. However it is crampy. As such Side berths especially in 2nd SL are cramped for 6 footers.

3rd AC Side middle is a very crappy idea.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Wow! you pay for a 3rd ac and get an experience of a general dibba

Jai ho Bhartiya Rail!
Believe me it is really bad. The first time I saw one of these (about a couple of weeks back in a 3AC) there were huge quarrels in the train between passengers and the TC on where to sit and where to sleep. This ninth seat makes the whole cube so congusted, it pretty much kills the fun of travelling by train bcos it really feels like a general dibba.

God save us from such stupid ideas of IR.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:50   #13
BHPian

Found this seating system from the following link

To be linked to a post. - India Travel Forum Photo Gallery

Is this still the same for 2AC ?
Attached Thumbnails
Are side berths in Indian Railways Made 3 seater ? EDIT: Not anymore-40berthlayout_bg__3_.jpg  

Old 18th December 2008, 19:23   #14
BHPian

The Side Middle Berth concept got introduced in many trains this year. These coaches also called SMB Coaches popularly ( a wrong word to use !! ) have a middle berth which is a contraption which in folded condition sticks to the bottom of the upper berth. When used it is to be lowered using the sliding clamps on its sides. The unfortunate person who gets allotted this berth has to sit on inner seating i.e the coupe has 4 on one side and 3 on the opposite side. ( Indeed this is an Indian Railway engineering feat to earn revenue ). All Garib Raths are using these coaches for 3AC. 2AC and 1AC are only henceforth treated as Upper Class by Lalu and thus spared this ignominy.
Also in such coaches in atleast the Garib Raths, the inner coupes are no more aligned with the side berths i.e they have reduced the coupe width further and added a single sided coupe additionally near the door where the people have to stare at the partition with their feet touching the partition !!
Old 20th December 2008, 11:37   #15
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Folks ,this is how a side middle berth will look like!(chk the link)

[IRFCA] Indian Railways Photo Gallery - The Great Side Middle Berth Debate

reminds me of that chinky chor in the ocean's 11/12/13 movie ,who gets into the football bag and that box

whoever is gonna use it ,uska bhi wohi haal hoga !

[/SIZE]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks