Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 22:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

@Suman - Alternatively, ask HSBC to send copy of the earlier bills. Do this by visiting the bank's credit card division & not through phone. If they give one, you can recall if there're purchases or if they were not done by you. If they don't give one, then it means something is fishy.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:21   #122
Senior - BHPian

Wow, so tomorrow if someone (bank included) really just forges my identity and somehow cranks up a bill - the onus is on me to get myself exonerated. Hmm, agreed.

But - Its not the bank's responsibility to check on the transactions, neither its responsibility to let me know what is going on in my name!

In this case - what can Suman actually prove? That he/his wife had not used or applied for the card?
How?
Old 1st September 2010, 12:29   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
In this case - what can Suman actually prove? That he/his wife had not used or applied for the card?
How?
Good question, but, really sends down shivers. These guys working in back end can do anything. Like I said, approach the credit card division, ask for the proofs in written on the purchase.

Things are not that difficult Alpha; through court order, one can dig up all the information filled up by Suman or his Wife, right from the application form, signature, photo, proofs submitted. If the bank says they don't have it, the case is closed; the bank might forge the application form, say even the signature, what about the proofs submitted? That cannot be forged right?
Old 1st September 2010, 20:26   #124
BHPian

HSBC is a very notorious bank when it comes to credit cards.

My co-workers name was E S Mahesh. He had applied for a credit card from HSBC bank. It was about 15 days since he had applied for the card and he had still not received the card. Around the 21st day or so, he got a credit card statement against his card for a bill of around 50K.
Please note that he is yet to receive his new credit card but before that he gets a statement for that card.

Immediately he went to the bank and checked with them.
There were some major purchases like TV, etc... and some minor purchases like petrol, clothes etc.
They asked him to wait for a week or so by when he will receive the card and then visit the bank with the card.
As said by the bank, he got the card and he went back to bank without even opening the card package to prove it to them how could he have made those purchases when the card is still safe in a sealed envelope.

After an hour or so of talking with the bank, the canceled all the smaller purchases like clothes, petrol, food etc. but they said that he will have to pay up for the major purchases which was now around 30K or so.

My co-worker left the card package with the bank itself and took them in writing that the card has been indeed handed over to them.

Then he went around all the shops around Bangalore from where these purchases were made and got all the copies of charge slips etc. to show that he did not make those purchases.

After 2 months of running around and finding out everything it turned out that those purchases were genuine and were made by some other card holder with the name E Mahesh and it was all billed to my co-worker's card E S Mahesh.
He got really wild and gave a mouthful to the bank fellows and left after taking in writing that he owes them nothing.

After this had heard similar kinda problems with HSBC cards from other colleagues too.
Old 2nd September 2010, 10:20   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Wow, so tomorrow if someone (bank included) really just forges my identity and somehow cranks up a bill - the onus is on me to get myself exonerated. Hmm, agreed.

But - Its not the bank's responsibility to check on the transactions, neither its responsibility to let me know what is going on in my name!

How?
, but in general other banks do check the transactions. One fine day when I used my card for purchase worth 10K in 30 mins time, I immediately got a call from HDFC and they asked me if indeed I have made the purchases. This happened couple of times. I guess the banks should also verify the transactions to avoid misuse of the cards. The zero liability applies only when you call up and ask them to terminate the card. After that anyways the card becomes useless. When I misplaced my card, I called up HDFC within 15 mins and recorded my call on my cell phone (Of course I told them that I am recording the call).
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:17   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Suman - Alternatively, ask HSBC to send copy of the earlier bills. Do this by visiting the bank's credit card division & not through phone. If they give one, you can recall if there're purchases or if they were not done by you. If they don't give one, then it means something is fishy.
There was a purchase on the day she was getting married. It is just not possible at least for my wife to buy something using her credit card on the day of her marriage.

Citibank is in fact great for verification. They always call you and verify that any high value transaction or any transactions of different nature than your normal purchase has been done by you.

We are going to approach the bank card division tomorrow or day after. I was wondering if any of you happen to know where they are located or any contact. I was thinking of going to the M.G. Road or Basavangudi branch.

Edit: We did not receive any bill at all from the bank.

Last edited by sumannandy : 2nd September 2010 at 14:19.
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Citibank is in fact great for verification.
So is HDFC or RBS; if there's any transaction above 5K, they send an alert. For jewellery purchases, they also give a call to confirm.

Quote:
We are going to approach the bank card division tomorrow or day after.
Take all the proofs with you like DOB, address etc & don't hand over any of the proofs for photocopy or anything, show them the originals only in your presence, IF REQUIRED.

Its highly likely that HSBC, being a MNC, may also not work on Saturday; so just confirm with them if they work on Saturday. Have you written an email complaint to the level 3 escalation from the link provided by Gandhi?

Quote:
I was wondering if any of you happen to know where they are located or any contact.
Nope; me from Chennai

Quote:
Edit: We did not receive any bill at all from the bank.
Just wanted to ask, when was the date of marriage? I'm asking this because, if the date falls less than a month or like within 2-3 months, then it sending a bill from HSBC atleast makes no nonsense. But if you date of marriage is very far from from today, then its completely nonsense because, what was HSBC doing all these days instead of sending the bill in the regular billing cycle?
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:23   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
So is HDFC or RBS; if there's any transaction above 5K, they send an alert. For jewellery purchases, they also give a call to confirm.

Take all the proofs with you like DOB, address etc & don't hand over any of the proofs for photocopy or anything, show them the originals only in your presence, IF REQUIRED.

Its highly likely that HSBC, being a MNC, may also not work on Saturday; so just confirm with them if they work on Saturday. Have you written an email complaint to the level 3 escalation from the link provided by Gandhi?

Nope; me from Chennai

Just wanted to ask, when was the date of marriage? I'm asking this because, if the date falls less than a month or like within 2-3 months, then it sending a bill from HSBC atleast makes no nonsense. But if you date of marriage is very far from from today, then its completely nonsense because, what was HSBC doing all these days instead of sending the bill in the regular billing cycle?
That's a good point, we need to check if they work on Saturday.

My wife has also talked to the call center and got the details of some of the transactions. We are waiting to get full details.

The date of marriage is July 31st, 2006. We never received any bill and we were not even in the country for last couple of years, so there is no way we could have used the card.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

If the date of transaction was 2006, this claim may not hold up due to "time bar". There is a time limit from a given episode up to which any police complaint or case etc can be made. A lawyer would be able to throw more light on the same.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:20   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we need to check if they work on Saturday. My wife has also talked to the call center and got the details of some of the transactions. We are waiting to get full details.
Most importantly, see if all those big heads work on Saturday; the call center may say they work, but, they could only be referring to their managers, WHICH, you don't want to see. You only need to see the bank authorities in CC division. So do that homework or else, you're wasting a day & adding more anxiety.

Quote:
The date of marriage is July 31st, 2006.
Now this is fantastic; ask what they were doing for over 4 years now? If they say they waited, ask, why can't they wait for another 40 years to lodge a complaint? No CC company will wait for more than a year to lodge a court case for payment defaults.

Quote:
We never received any bill and we were not even in the country for last couple of years, so there is no way we could have used the card.
Also, ask those morons on the delivery receipt of the CC statements.

Last but not the least, approach very very delicately & very soft from your side. Never utter a word of anger as you need their cooperation. During this process, you might even get some clues on their mistakes, so remain watchful & if possible record the conversation on your mobile. Ofcourse, without their knowledge

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks