Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 00:37   #256
Senior - BHPian

So the fight goes on. OK, Now I've got offended too, why ARR hasn't mentioned any of the instrument player's name, the guitarist, percussionist, etc. How dare he?
Old 28th February 2009, 13:59   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s
OK, Now I've got offended too, why ARR hasn't mentioned any of the instrument player's name, the guitarist, percussionist, etc. How dare he?
Hey, you forgot his driver. After all without the driver of his BMW, how could ARR get to the studio and thus the driver's role in the song cannot be discounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Rehmans behaving as if he wrote the lyrics and he sung the song. It shows that behind all that big facade, lies a man with heart of an ant.
I don't know what gave you the impression that he behaved like that - maybe you have some extra-sensory perception that the rest of us are not blessed with. I saw the award ceremony on TV and it did not occur to me that he was acting like what you said. I don't know the man personally, but from what I have read about him, I don't think your assesment of ant-siness is anywhere near target.

Quote:
I have got weird answers for my query, so I post it again. Why is Rahman not thanking Sukhwinder in any of his interviews.
Could be many reasons for this. A valid one would be that at such a big moment, we might get overwhelmed and miss out stuff that we had planned to say, even when it was rehearsed. Or, like Singh, there would be many more that contributed to that song and it would not have been possible to thank all of them. And frankly when we dont see S.Singh himself complaining about it, I don't see what the big deal here is.

Quote:
Last time I asked this question, some person replied with a quote implying those who cannot do don't know its worth or some thing like this, but frankly speaking I could not understand the context of that person.
Well you started the quote business with some Punjabi quote whose relevance we also did not see in the context.
Old 28th February 2009, 18:18   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey, you forgot his driver. After all without the driver of his BMW, how could ARR get to the studio and thus the driver's role in the song cannot be discounted.
What about the BMW itself? I think that BMW also have equal importance of carrying him to the studio without breaking down. Bavaria Motor Works rocks and they should also have been mentioned.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:28   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Listen to the song. Its Sukhwinders voice also which makes it magical, not just the music(which in my opinion is brilliant too)
At last somebody in this thread has said that ARR's music/song is brilliant & magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
So the fight goes on. OK, Now I've got offended too, why ARR hasn't mentioned any of the instrument player's name, the guitarist, percussionist, etc. How dare he?
And he forgot to thank his undie manufacturer without whom he would not have had two hands available at the same time.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd March 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Adding the clap avatar
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:33   #260
Senior - BHPian

Actually, ARR did not thank anyone other than his mother. But he forgot to thank the man who wrote "Mere paas Ma hai"
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:41   #261
BHPian

ARR has answered two of the questions that we are fighting for!
Quote:
Replying to the grouse of some Indian audiences that ‘Jai Ho’ was nowhere near his best work, he said, “Your sensibility found other tracks good,” and Western sensibilities loved Slumdog’s tunes. He said that Slumdog was his “career best” when it came to music for a Hollywood audience. And the lyrics ‘Jai Ho’ had a phonetic appeal that transcended any language barriers. “The song is a release of extraordinary energy.” After an exhausting journey through ups and downs, the movie ends with a “burst of joy” in this song.
Quote:
As to why some Indian audiences did not think highly of the movie, he said that though he disagreed, people were entitled to their views.
The Hindu : Front Page : My dream is to connect people with music, says Rahman
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:03   #262
BANNED

In the golden words of Lyrical Lahiri - "Persons are not appreciating"
Old 2nd March 2009, 18:08   #263
Senior - BHPian

Suppose this thread is closed?
ARR and Resul to be congratulated for their Oscars. ARR's work appreciated by Hollywood, also in India but in India we have heard better music from him.
ARR does not seem to have been disrespectful to anyone, when he was back in India he was quite level, not on cloud nine. since he only thanked his mother, hopefully all the others, Sukhwinder, musicians and driver will forgive. He got awards, he thanked his mother, can we leave it?
The movie got Oscars, it has lots of Indian connections, congrats. Since I read that there is another thread for critics, let the criticism be away from this thread. I had criticised the movie for depiction of the big B and sarcasm to the contestant, but not for depiction of poverty.
SDM folks have done something for the kids, took them to the Oscars, are supposed to have kept some money for them in trust till they reach 18 years of age, I personally feel that they have done quite enough.
Perhaps the thought of closing this thread can be considered.
Old 13th March 2023, 09:31   #264
BHPian

Re: And the Oscar goes to !!!

Natu Natu from RRR. Congratulations to music director M.M Keeravani (Kreem as per bollywood) and lyricist Chandrabose.

A proud feeling for every Indian all over the world. Congratulations to The Elephant Whisperer for winning the best short film award at Oscars.

I just wish this streak continues and India produces more and more of such masterpieces.
Attached Thumbnails
And the Oscar goes to !!!-fb_img_1678677073516.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:25   #265
Senior - BHPian

Its like a Deja Vu. MM Keeravani is recognized at the Oscars for a song that is perhaps not the epitome of a musical composition, compared to some of his past work. But as ABBA said, the Winner takes it all!
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 10:41   #266
BHPian

Let's not forget an even bigger achievement. The Elephant Whisperers won the Best Short Subject Documentary Oscar. It was such a beautifully written and filmed story. Richly deserved.

I was also hoping that All That Breathes wins Best Documentary but it was not to be. It won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance which was a staggering achievement.

And the Oscar goes to !!!-ew.jpg

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 13th March 2023 at 10:42.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 21:13   #267
Senior - BHPian

Amul special doodle as The Elephant Whisperers wins Best Documentary Short Film at Oscars!

And the Oscar goes to !!!-20230313_211213.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 18:09   #268
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing a lot of comments on SM by fellow Indians who are suddenly feeling embarrassed at the attention that "Naatu Naatu" and RRR have received at the Oscars. almost to the point of deriding the success of the film. It may not be the greatest epic ever produced, etc, but then I thought to myself, who cares. Its team RRR's day to shine.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 14th March 2023 at 18:11.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 13:00   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Its like a Deja Vu. MM Keeravani is recognized at the Oscars for a song that is perhaps not the epitome of a musical composition, compared to some of his past work. But as ABBA said, the Winner takes it all!
What a bummer. It just goes to show how hopeless Oscars are. It is not about how special you are, its about how special you can make the jury feel that defines Oscars. I listened to the song and it does not live up to the hype that it generated. And suddenly everybody is on the bandwagon saying how amazing that an Indian song got an Oscar. Let us not kid ourselves here. There are probably more than a 1000 songs that are much more musically great compared to Naatu Naatu, And i wish we would celebrate their success rather than be committed to the Oscar winner.

Just a little taste of the kind of songs that we generate which are so different. A plaindrome song in tamil, now thats music with a twist

Old 15th March 2023, 13:34   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
What a bummer. It just goes to show how hopeless Oscars are. It is not about how special you are, its about how special you can make the jury feel that defines Oscars. I listened to the song and it does not live up to the hype that it generated. And suddenly everybody is on the bandwagon saying how amazing that an Indian song got an Oscar. Let us not kid ourselves here. There are probably more than a 1000 songs that are much more musically great compared to Naatu Naatu, And i wish we would celebrate their success rather than be committed to the Oscar winner.
Why isn't it amazing to win an Oscar ? Did the 1000 better songs happen this year ? The beats and choreography of the song is good (this year), hence the award. I haven't watched the movie.

Keeravani himself has composed lot of better songs but they were not in a movie that could qualify for Oscars.

We have become better at meeting the requirements for eligibility and all the lobbying that is usual.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks