Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 13:04   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Comeon guys they won a universally recognised award and we say it does not amount to much?? Something seriously wrong with our pysche
I've really resisted so far but here goes - agree with above 100%.

Some Indians have won Oscars for a Hollywood film - why don't we just celebrate instaed of tearing them to shreds about substandard music etc etc etc. Come on, share their joys & be proud of their achievements!
Old 26th February 2009, 13:41   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi, this is harit from the Vintage and classic car section. In one post I had made a barb about SDM and Karl directed me to this post. I have not visited this section before, time is limited and I remain on the vintage section. But here I have my 2 annas to give.

SDM won 8 Oscars, whatever the circumstances, whether deserved or not, they have to be congratulated. It is an achievement by itself. Then ARR and Mr. Resul from India got Oscars. This is very nice and first of all we all should be very proud. They got it. Period! Congratulations.

Now for the comments.
I saw the film after the Oscars. Before that I had seen only clippings in the news channels. Of course the music we had heard before, on FM and on TV.
The Oscar for Mr. Resul was for a technical achievement, sound mixing, this was deserved as far as I, a nincompoop (spelling?) in such technical matters can say. So, Well Done!!
As regards ARR, he has definitely made better music in the past. I felt that Rangeela, among others is much superior music, it was revolutionary at that time. I have also heard his Tamil music, cannot understand but very good music in Tamil he has indeed made. He got the Oscar for music which was not his best, but still good enough to get him the Oscar. Anything wrong with that?
He also sang at the Oscar, I think that somehow his singing was not his best on that day. He has sung better, and this time his voice was sometimes a bit of colour. But it does not matter. Though he is a performer and he should be used to it, maybe he got a bit shy. He actually rushed off the stage when the song was over. Should not hold that against him.

Now the movie.
Nobody talks about some of the scenes in the movie which are 3rd rate Bollywood stereotypes and really unnecessary, and disrespectful.
The first time I heard about SDM was in connection with Amitabh Bachan's
(AB) blog. I have not read his blog. But the host of KBC was first AB, then Sharookh Khan. Most of us have seen at least some episodes of KBC. Did AB or SK ever mock any contestant? They were always respectful, asked personal questions to them, who accompanied them, they wouild greet the parents or relatives, which gave a comfortable atmosphere. But here Anil Kapoor mocks Jamal. If AB or SK indeed did that, I somehow missed it. I am convinced that AB and SK did the right thing to refuse this role if it was offered to them.

Then the scene where little Jamal jumps into the pit, and covered with crap goes and gets an autograph from AB. This is Bollywood massala, AB has a nose and also eyes, he would never be able to give an autograph to a boy in that state. I would dare say, if AB was really confronted with such a situation, he would first arrange to get the boy cleaned up.

Then police torture to find out how Jamal "cheats". Our police is hard, very ruthless, but for someone to take such extreem measures such as torture to find out how cheating was done in a games show is really far fetched. I wonder if cops really have time for this, as most of the time they have to stand on the side of our public roads when politicians pass by.

There are some more smaller incidences, but these give the drift.

The movie got Oscar for adaption of novel screenplay. It is set to the time when Jamal is about to win, with flashbacks, and if you do not keep your attention to the movie it does get confusing.
The version I saw was on DVD, english and all the time the cops and gangsters were using MC, BC and C words. I was watching this with family, it was rather embarassing.

Fortunately the movie did not get any award for acting. But the way Ms Pinto is taking off in orbit, I really hope that she will remain in orbit and will not crash land.

I have a feeling that if this movie had appeared last year, it may not have done so well. Now in depression, people are depressed and like such feel good movies. Is this not why we have these Bollywood entertainers all the time? Because the masses are depressed and want to have a few hours of enjoyment leaving tensions outside.

Also, please remember that sometimes there are waves or trends, India seems to be a current flavour. Remember, when Gandhi swept the Oscars, in some categories there were better candidates. But the Gandhi flavour of that time prevailed.

What is this movie? It is not hollywood, not bollywood but a combination that somehow clicked. I do not see much scope for a remake, in whichever language unless there are major modification to the script.

Final personal opinion, even though a winner of 8 Oscars, not worth seeing. I believe attendance in theaters has also come down.
My personal detailed take, give credit where due but not get carried away!
Old 26th February 2009, 13:54   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
SDM won 8 Oscars, whatever the circumstances, whether deserved or not, they have to be congratulated. It is an achievement by itself. Then ARR and Mr. Resul from India got Oscars. This is very nice and first of all we all should be very proud. They got it. Period! Congratulations.
It is good that we are in same thinking!

Quote:
Now the movie.
Nobody talks about some of the scenes in the movie which are 3rd rate Bollywood stereotypes and really unnecessary, and disrespectful.
this entire section should have gone to the thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hread-180.html and is not appropriate here !

Last edited by mail4loys : 26th February 2009 at 13:56.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:55   #214
BANNED

Gandhi & ET were in the same year and fought for Oscars. When ET didn't win, Spielberg was pissed off. He decided to 'make movies that win Oscars'. After failed attempt with 'The Color Purple', he finally got it right with 'Schindler's List', when swept the Oscars.
Quote:
Remember, when Gandhi swept the Oscars, in some categories there were better candidates. But the Gandhi flavour of that time prevailed.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:22   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Gandhi & ET were in the same year and fought for Oscars. When ET didn't win, Spielberg was pissed off. He decided to 'make movies that win Oscars'. After failed attempt with 'The Color Purple', he finally got it right with 'Schindler's List', when swept the Oscars.
Diabloo, I am sure this is not your own words. Either you are very good in memorizing & repeating or you are just lifting it from somewhere. I read the same lines in the papers a day or 2 back. Please give us the source.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:23   #216
BANNED

@ Harit: No one is disagreeing that the movie is... well below average. What we are not getting is the pooh poohing of the awards won by the Indians.

About the Pinto girl - she is hardly present in the movie for more then 5-10 mins and has no more then 10-15 lines in the entire movie. But then she is made to look like an equivalent of the other Hollywood actresses. And to top it she was on the cover of some well known fashion magazine called Vogue(got this detail from my wife ) for her fashion sense... duh??

But hey she is getting her time time in the sun and good for her. Undeserving a lot may say but see where her destiny has taken her. And i applaud that too.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:27   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Diabloo, I am sure this is not your own words. Either you are very good in memorizing & repeating or you are just lifting it from somewhere. I read the same lines in the papers a day or 2 back. Please give us the source.
I agree. Don't we have some law about spamming the forum?
Old 26th February 2009, 14:33   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
this entire section should have gone to the thread -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hread-180.html and is not appropriate here !
Why?
You want to hear only goodie goodie things about SDM on this thread?
Let us discuss both the sides here.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:08   #219
BANNED

Obviously I was not born with all knowledge. I have to either read it somewhere or hear it somewhere.
Since the discussion on this thread relates to 'How to win Oscars', I thought I will share this info which I knew.

I don't exactly remember the source. I think its rediff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
So one more reason for your cause, ah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I agree. Don't we have some law about spamming the forum?
Old 26th February 2009, 15:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Comeon guys they won a universally recognised award and we say it does not amount to much?? Something seriously wrong with our pysche

I guess if the awards were titled Manikchand Oscar awards, nobody would have flamed the process/selection as much

We prefer award ceremonies by Gutka / Soap manufacturers...
Old 26th February 2009, 15:34   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Obviously, the source from which this is quoted is also a bit off the mark:
Gandhi won in 1982.

Prior to that, in 1981, Spielberg was nominated for best director for `Raiders of the Lost Ark'. IMO (very important), an excellent movie, but Oscar went to `Reds'-another excellent movie in my opinion. Raiders was also nominated for best picture, but the award to another excellent picture (IMO)-Chariots of Fire.

In 1982, Spielberg-directed ET was nominated for best director, but it went to Attenborough. The other nominees were Das Boot, Tootsie, and Verdict (all excellent movies IMO). So many IMOs, but I do not want to miss a word now. ET also lost out in picture to Gandhi.

The second statement is also a bit off the mark. This says `When ET didn't win, Spielberg was pissed off. He decided to 'make movies that win Oscars'. He did for some time, but his last picture that won for best picture was Saving Private Ryan. he continues to make great (and some not so great movies), but apparently his plans/decisions have not resulted in `movies that win Oscars' ever since 1998. That is a lot of years. In movie terms, that is 8 movies (IMDB). IMO (again) his movies are still good, but one of his movies won a different award this year-Razzie for Indiana Jones and Crystal Skull. A bit harsh, but one IMO can see some justification.

Last edited by vasudeva : 26th February 2009 at 15:48.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:35   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Why?
You want to hear only goodie goodie things about SDM on this thread?
Let us discuss both the sides here.
Why not? I didnt say that this thread needs "goodie goodie things" about SDM ! But is it a SDM Review thread? Will by anychance of going to the length of analysing screen by screen revock the Oscar that was given?
Old 26th February 2009, 15:40   #223
Senior - BHPian

I think the Filmfare awards are on the weekend. Let us see what movies, actors, promising newcomers get the awards. Also would be interesting to know what percent of awards went to A-list celebrities and what to others.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:43   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Obviously I was not born with all knowledge. I have to either read it somewhere or hear it somewhere.
Since the discussion on this thread relates to 'How to win Oscars', I thought I will share this info which I knew.
Nothing wrong in sharing info, but I am amazed at your memorizing power.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:00   #225
Senior - BHPian

Oh Boy I go on leave & this happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
@ Harit: No one is disagreeing that the movie is... well below average.
I do but thats my opinion :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
What we are not getting is the pooh poohing of the awards won by the Indians.
I agree with this

As per me it was a nice movie with good direction whether it deserved the Oscar or not is upto Oscar's Jury (I had found crouching tiger to be a pathetic movie but it had won Oscar)

All those who have problems with poverty scenes; have they read the original novel by Vikas Swaroop(I hope thats the right name)? If this is was the novel has lets not blame Danny Boyle.

I cant understand whats the big fuss about SDM winning prizes, its not an Indian Movie.

As for Rehman, the Jury liked it(shouldnt matter if we agree with it or not; its their awards after all) & hence awarded, we as Indians should be happy to know that Someone Indian is getting a good recognition of his work same for the editing chap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks