Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 13:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What changed, just got your movie critic certification?

That's my opinion. Try respecting my opinion too, if you can.
Refer post 162 for my mea culpa. Also 157 for a little background. Nothing more to be said, and you can take it or consider it a hoax, as you wish.
Regarding my movie critic certification, at least my wife goes by it. So does my son (for the time being at least).
Finally, I can hardly claim to be respecting your opinion if you perceive me to be not.

Last edited by vasudeva : 25th February 2009 at 13:48.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:54   #167
Senior - BHPian

OT, but perhaps missing a word or two could lead to whatever it has.
Old 25th February 2009, 13:58   #168
Senior - BHPian

Ooo i am so tempted to blast something to kingdom come But i'll refrain myself. It will be like after all.

Back to the topic, which some people are conveniently forgetting, the Oscars. Does anyone know where i can get the documentary Smile Pinki?

Also, ARR got an oscar, not a grammy. Consider that too when commenting on his music talent.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 25th February 2009, 14:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Back to the topic, which some people are conveniently forgetting, the Oscars. Does anyone know where i can get the documentary Smile Pinki?
It should be available in leading music stores like Music World, Landmark etc.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:22   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It should be available in leading music stores like Music World, Landmark etc.
Landmark doesnt have it. The documentary's home page is here, with a list of screen schedules:
SmilePinki

and a trailer here

Probably its there somewhere on youtube.
Old 25th February 2009, 15:19   #171
Senior - BHPian

I haven't gone through this entire thread so if I am repeating some things, please overlook it.

I have seen this movie and it's a below average movie. It doesn't deserve to get nominated for any awards forget winning the Oscar. A R Rehman is a very talented musician but his work in this movie is very average. The movie won so many awards because the producers managed to lobby very well for the awards, as simple as that.

I have some thoughts in my head:

1.) This is a hollywood movie set or based in India. How does it become an Indian movie? There are so many hindi movies based in America, do we see Americans saying it's a Hollywood movie? There was a hindi movie starring Baywatch star Brandie Rodricks. Did Hollywood say it's a hollywood movie? A hindi movie starring Govinda had a dance by Samantha Fox. Did it become a Hollywood movie? Was KANK a hollywood movie just because it was based in NY? Mark my words, let Pink Panther release. The media will go to town over how Ashwariya Rai has conquered Hollywood by working with A list stars like Steve Martin. The fact that she has a 15 minute role in the movie will be conviniantly ignored. Why are we, media included, gushing over how an Indian movie won the oscars? Just because some technicians were Indians?

2.) Why do we jump in glee whenever anyone remotely Indian becomes successful aborad? Bobby Jindal for example. Kalpana Chawla too. She was an American for God's sake! Just because her parents were born in India we went and claimed our right over her? Ironically if an Indian commits some crime abroad then we conviniantly wash our hands off him. Anyone remember that designer, Anand Jon(?) accused of molestation and rape in USA? Other then reporting on that news did our media or government support him?

I heard this on FM Radio. The song Jai Ho was originally supposed to be in the Subhash Ghai movie Yuvraj. Does anyone here honestly think that the song would have become the no. 1 on the hit charts if it was in that movie?

I rate Massakali in Delhi-6 a far far superior number to Jai Ho. If A R Rehman should get an Oscar he should get it for Massakali. At least he would have deserved it.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:00   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
... A R Rehman is a very talented musician but his work in this movie is very average. The movie won so many awards because the producers managed to lobby very well for the awards, as simple as that.
so you mean to say that the songs were not good ? and it managed "golden globe” and "BAFTA" only because of the director?

Quote:
I have some thoughts in my head:

1.) This is a hollywood movie set or based in India. How does it become an Indian movie?
SDM is not a Kollywood / Bollywood movie, So please stop comparing it other Kollywood / Bollywood movies. ARR has composed SDM for a different audience in mind!

Quote:
2.) Why do we jump in glee whenever anyone remotely Indian becomes successful aborad?
Why do we have names of all Indian film industry with the likes of Hollywood !

Quote:
I rate Massakali in Delhi-6 a far far superior number to Jai Ho. If A R Rehman should get an Oscar he should get it for Massakali. At least he would have deserved it.
If ARR's other numbers were to be considered then Roja would have got that ! But that is not the point!

The song was acceptable for giving an Oscar by the Hollywood Jury, so why do we crip.

Hollywood dream for Indian Film industry is not a new thing, now that some one was able to achieve it lets feel happy for that.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:05   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
The song was acceptable for giving an Oscar by the Hollywood Jury, so why do we crip.
Who is cribbing here? If Hollywood Jury wants to give Oscar to David Dhawan's movie, so be it. Point is that, we don't have to rate it high just because it got Oscar.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:11   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Who is cribbing here? If Hollywood Jury wants to give Oscar to David Dhawan's movie, so be it. Point is that, we don't have to rate it high just because it got Oscar.
I dont think some one is rating higher just because it got Oscar! But the point is dont underrate the work / composition just because it stole the lime light!
Old 25th February 2009, 16:18   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
David Dhawan is going to hate you for that...LOL.

PS: Get the point?
Old 25th February 2009, 16:21   #176
Team-BHP Support

This thread feels like a couple who has had a love marriage and then complaining about the partner's poor taste.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

Like srishiva said before, only we in India would take the trouble to find reasons why one of us should NOT have gotten an award. Citizens of most other countries would just be proud.

SDM might not have been the best movie of the lot or the music might not have been ARR's best. But hey 2 Indians got an Oscar. Ain't that itself something to be happy about ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
It doesn't deserve to get nominated for any awards forget winning the Oscar. The movie won so many awards because the producers managed to lobby very well for the awards, as simple as that.
Unless you have an inside view into how the Academy gives out the awards, these are just speculations and without any basis. Just because posting on tbhp is free does not mean we can spout whatever we feel like, on subjects that we don't even remotely know about.

Maybe you found the movie average and the music average (many others felt the same here), but I frankly don't think you have any technical knowledge/standing whatsoever to decide whether Resul Pookutty & his team's work was deserving of an Oscar or not in the realm they won it. It is easy to criticise, but even there it would be useful to first think about our level of knowledge in that sphere before lampooning those that work in that domain. Sound editing is quite different from reviewing cars BTW.

Quote:
This is a hollywood movie set or based in India. How does it become an Indian movie?
Who ever said it's an Indian movie ? It is a Hollywood movie based in India, with Indian actors and technicians.

Quote:
Why are we, media included, gushing over how an Indian movie won the oscars? Just because some technicians were Indians?
More than about SDM winning the Oscars, we are happy that ARR, Resul and Gulzar (3 Indians) won the Oscars.

Quote:
Why do we jump in glee whenever anyone remotely Indian becomes successful aborad?
I don't know what is remotely-Indian about ARR, Resul and Gulzar. All 3 are proper Indians as anyone of us here. And I do not see anything wrong in being happy if a compatriot does good, be it ARR or Abhinav Bindra or Vijendra.

Quote:
Well, unfortunately the Oscars are not given based on what you or me think.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Who ever said it's an Indian movie ? It is a Hollywood movie based in India, with Indian actors and technicians.
Well, success has many fathers. Is it a Hollywood movie, or an Indian movie (it has a Chief who is British and all Indians), or is it a British movie? Whatever it is, as some one said, or to paraphrase, the language of art (??? am I correct in this expression) knows no boundaries.
Old 25th February 2009, 16:48   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
... SDM is just an interesting movie, well made too. I still can't believe it won best picture Oscar. I still believe SDM winning 8 Oscars is a Joke. That's my opinion. Try respecting my opinion too, if you can.
+1 to that. There are much better movies that SDM. Why it won so many awards will always remain a mystery to me.

Can anyone tell me what happened to '7 Pounds' starring Will Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This thread feels like a couple who has had a love marriage and then complaining about the partner's poor taste.
ROFL!!!!
Old 25th February 2009, 16:49   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Just because posting on tbhp is free does not mean we can spout whatever we feel like, on subjects that we don't even remotely know about.
SB in overdrive.

Danny Boyle said that Bollywood has met Hollywood and a brit is caught in between and that the feeling is very good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks