Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 11:38   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You should be writing page 3 stuff. Beautiful writing & excellent ideas.
I gave my application but it was rejected. With my shaitani dimag I think I can bring out such conspiracy theories that page three will become the most read section(if it isnt already) of any newspaper!
Old 24th February 2009, 11:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

Can't believe The Dark Knight only got two.... its one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
Old 24th February 2009, 11:52   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How many Oscar winning movies have you actually seen, samu ? apart from the blockbusters ? Try watching a few and then give your opinion. We are all not multi faceted. Give credit where it is due or hold your peace & just express an opinion, don't call it a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
There are so many aspects to a well made movie that its impossible to even start to comprehend the mastery that goes into making of a film by merely watching it once or twice.
So, excuse me here if i put a little more faith in the decision of the oscar committee than in critics (self styled or otherwise). I'd like to believe that they base their decisions on something more than the common man's response.
Oh, really? Next time you guys make any comments about cricket selectors or cricket players, I'd love to read it. Obviously any cricket selector or player has lot more more understanding of the game than you guys, let me see how much blind trust you will bestow upon them.

I have seen lot more Oscar winning movies than you give me credit for. Mostly they get it right, but sometimes it just goes totally wrong. And don't discount the power of lobbying and promoting. I recall the time when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture. I was stunned as I had seen both movies by then. It was just plain lobbying at work.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, really? Next time you guys make any comments about cricket selectors or cricket players, I'd love to read it. Obviously any cricket selector or player has lot more more understanding of the game than you guys, let me see how much blind trust you will bestow upon them.
So.... what you are saying is that you are able to understand everything about the art of making a movie by watching it only once? I am sorry its a bit hard to decipher real meaning amongst sarcasm.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:13   #110
Team-BHP Support

I think he means to say is that every individual has the right to disagree with the "expert committee".
For example we disagree when with cricket selectors, so why such hullabo when people are disagreeing with oscar committee
Old 24th February 2009, 12:20   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So.... what you are saying is that you are able to understand everything about the art of making a movie by watching it only once? I am sorry its a bit hard to decipher real meaning amongst sarcasm.
You completely missed it, tsk1979 has explained it correctly.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I gave my application but it was rejected. With my shaitani dimag I think I can bring out such conspiracy theories that page three will become the most read section(if it isnt already) of any newspaper!
I will keep that in mind when I start my very own newspaper/TV Channel.

Quote:

I have seen lot more Oscar winning movies than you give me credit for. Mostly they get it right, but sometimes it just goes totally wrong. And don't discount the power of lobbying and promoting. I recall the time when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for best picture. I was stunned as I had seen both movies by then. It was just plain lobbying at work.
I am not saying that I know better than most here. And I am not discrediting your award winning movie watching. What sticks out like a sore thumb in this thread is that we are so divided in even appreciating the fact that someone from our country has won accolades in an international platform. All we can say is that movie did not deserve, that man did not deserve, the whole thing is a joke etc etc. So typical of our attitude.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:29   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You completely missed it, tsk1979 has explained it correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think he means to say is that every individual has the right to disagree with the "expert committee".
For example we disagree when with cricket selectors, so why such hullabo when people are disagreeing with oscar committee
Whatever happened to talking straight.

Hmmm. So your disagreement with oscar committee is your right, and my indirect disagreement with your disagreement is hullabaloo?

But since you quoted me, about the art of making movies and understanding it, i thought you were responding to what i had written. But you were not.

Please frame your responses in accordance with what you are quoting in order to avoid confusion. And vice versa.

Last edited by amitoj : 24th February 2009 at 12:38. Reason: Added "indirect"
Old 24th February 2009, 12:36   #114
Senior - BHPian

Now we can talk about how 6000 members voting for different categories is similar to selectors chosen to represent each zone choose players !
Old 24th February 2009, 12:39   #115
BANNED

I dont think the movie deserved an Oscar. But then who am I. Similarly with Cricket selection.

What i have been contesting is why it won the award, like stereotypes of the west and the mindsets they have. And whether they are true about India or not.

The Oscar committee should have watched Salaam Bombay instead - but it wouldnt have qualified as it is not a Hollywood film.

What we are happy about is that the artists from India got recognition because of it. Simple as that.

I dont understand why ARR should be called undeserving for the Oscar. His better work could have never qualified anyways..

Look at it this way the West hasnt seen anything about him yet considering this was quite medicore to what we have seen and heard. This is a good oppurtunity to showcase his much better work to the world. And how bigger can it get then the Oscars?

And about lobbying and such, Ben Stiller joked that the movie was shot on a mobile phone camera.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to AAR and Pookutty. The only 2 truly INDIAN winners. Rest of the movie was made by the British for the Western world and with a hugely western crew.

I have no problems with the movie showing India and Mumbai slums because it is a movie based in the slums and about a boy from the slums. That's logic, right?

Then how will you explain this -

1) A blind beggar boy smelling a dollar currency note and identifying the picture by feeling the note ?

2) A boy just picks up the gun and he knows who was the inventor ?

A lot of other such instances are there which throw logic out of the window. Now tell me - if this movie was made in Bollywood with David Dhawan directing and Govinda acting - we would have RIDICULED the movie no end.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
What we are happy about is that the artists from India got recognition because of it. Simple as that.
Exactly. But now get ready to hear "we dont want their recognition" type of arguments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Ben Stiller joked that the movie was shot on a mobile phone camera.
Ben Stiller was absolutely hilarious! He was just roaming around on the stage like a lost cow!!

Has any one seen Smile Pinki? No one seems to be talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Now tell me - if this movie was made in Bollywood with David Dhawan directing and Govinda acting - we would have RIDICULED the movie no end.
A lot of people out there who hate this movie would have also absolutely loved it if it were made by DD and Govinda.

Last edited by amitoj : 24th February 2009 at 12:48. Reason: Added response to normally_crazy
Old 24th February 2009, 12:46   #118
BANNED

Happy for Oscar winners (Rahman & Resul): Yes
Is SDM the best movie of 2008: No
Is SDM 'politically correct' best movie: Yes. Why?

Check out the nominations:
The Reader: Anti-Jew, Anti-Moral
Milk: Pro homosexuality
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button: Impossible concept and too much Pitt
Frost/Nixon: Well known story and still who is really interested?

And Danny Boyle is one of the most talented directors in Hollywood. So SDM won.

Dark Knight lost out in the nomination. Among those nominated, Reader must have won. But thats not 'politically correct'.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

Then how will you explain this -

1) A blind beggar boy smelling a dollar currency note and identifying the picture by feeling the note ?

2) A boy just picks up the gun and he knows who was the inventor ?
As far as I recall, these things have been explained.

As far as the $100 bill, He asks Jamal, whose photo was on the bill and Jamal explains to him that he sees a photo of a man with long hair and then the blind boy says, its Benjamin Franklin.

As far as the revolver, Jamal's bro does not just pick up the revolver, he has it with him from before and he tells him the name of the revolver "colt", which happens to be both the name of the revolver and its inventor.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:54   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
And Danny Boyle is one of the most talented directors in Hollywood.
Danny Boyle is a British Director and not from the Hollywood film industry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks