Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 14:46   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I endorsed his understanding of my post, not his exact choice of words. This is not a legal document where I have to spell out the scope everytime. Actually, I'll stop here. You have already claimed you can't understand my writing.
I really dont get this. So, one can choose to take things literally as and when it pleases them (e.g. my comment related to hullabaloo) and choose to keep it abstract as and when it suits them (e.g. tsk's comment about hullabaloo)?

Yes please do stop! I am getting tired of the written word changing its meaning with every response.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:22   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Oscar Pizza Recipe:
On a base made of Indian poverty, add a layer of slums and beggars. Now add a few slices of riots and Hindu-Muslim divide. Apply a small paste of fake English accents. Garnish with soul-less music and add a pinch of mindless dancing for taste.
Good one

And the chef should be from Hollywood!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:40   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Failure as the host in the movie he may be but he has just been offered to host the next season of KBC. The KBC guys were really impressed it seems. I fail to understand how. If he eventually ends up bagging the show, watch the money flow in for Anil Kapoor.
God bless KBC then. Atleast am not gonna watch it at any cost if he hosts it the way he hosted in the movie!
KBC is just trying to encash the SDM effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I am not qualified to pass judgment on SDM (I saw it in the theatres, really liked it, and if it got 8 awards, then it must have deserved it). But I also saw Dark Knight in the theatres, and consider it perhaps my best movie experience ever. However, it got perhaps 2 awards.
Dark Knight was brilliant. Usually i hate 3 hour long movies but watching this i was please God can it be a 30 hour one. Awesome! Noone can beat the Jokers acting in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Oscar Pizza Recipe:
On a base made of Indian poverty, add a layer of slums and beggars. Now add a few slices of riots and Hindu-Muslim divide. Apply a small paste of fake English accents. Garnish with soul-less music and add a pinch of mindless dancing for taste.
Bingo! Oscar Pizza is ready.
good one. Well now i guess world has eaten this pizza as well.

BTW i dont see we all discussing this will originate in any result. People who like and dislike the fact remains it got 8 oscars so let it be and move on.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:14   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You almost said it. We have a sense of justice. We can't appreciate Just Anything just because it raked up so many Oscars.

Hey, we are happy an Indian themed movie won so many Oscars. But the production quality, fluidity of the story, acting performance, music, thrills and EQ of Lagaan (the only other recent Indian movie at Oscar) was way way ahead of SDM. But being a non-English movie, it couldn't make similar impact at the Oscars.
well technically it would have been in the foreign film category (Lagaan). and BTW..too much america/hollywood bashing in this thread so far :(
Old 24th February 2009, 19:32   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
well technically it would have been in the foreign film category (Lagaan). and BTW..too much america/hollywood bashing in this thread so far :(
I don't think it is America or Hollywood bashing. It's about going ga-ga over something simply because it is endorsed by Hollywood or US of A. Hollywood has a right to choose what they think is best and so do we (we as in Indians or as in people, who are debating it here on this thread). We don't necessarily agree with it always.

Even a staunch ARR fan will agree that it is ironical that ARR for Oscar for much inferior work in SDM than in Lagaan.

(Almost) Everyone is happy that ARR got recognition on much bigger platform.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Even a staunch ARR fan will agree that it is ironical that ARR for Oscar for much inferior work in SDM than in Lagaan.
Perhaps the above statement claims to speak for all AR Rehman fans!!! and assumes that all AR Rehman fans (incl. me) agree with the above.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:53   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the above statement claims to speak for all AR Rehman fans!!! and assumes that all AR Rehman fans (incl. me) agree with the above.
If you think ARR's work in SDM is better than in Lagaan, I better retract my earlier statement (Why Lagaan? Because it too made it for Oscar finals). I'll speak only for myself in that case, though I am honestly surprised. What looked very obvious to me isn't obviously so obvious
Old 24th February 2009, 19:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you think ARR's work in SDM is better than in Lagaan, I better retract my earlier statement (Why Lagaan? Because it too made it for Oscar finals). I'll speak only for myself in that case, though I am honestly surprised. What looked very obvious to me isn't obviously so obvious
No harm taken. Appreciation and liking of music (and art in general) is subjective, and what is bad to you may be great to others, and also vice versa.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No harm taken. Appreciation and liking of music (and art in general) is subjective, and what is bad to you may be great to others, and also vice versa.
I agree and I respect that. But in this case, it really looked very obvious to me. Just as most people would rate ARR's work above Annu Malik's. I was thinking more along those lines.

To me, Roja remains pinnacle of Rehman's career, even though Bombay/Rangeela/Thiruda Thiruda were all excellent. Going by that, "I" felt that, SDM was below his high standards and that most would agree on that count.

BTW, you never told us, which one do you rate higher? SDM or Lagaan?
Old 24th February 2009, 20:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can listen to both, like both, but will not get into the rating thing here. As to what I listen mostly, that I would prefer to not disclose (may not be to your or someone else's liking or preference).

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th February 2009 at 20:16.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To me, Roja remains pinnacle of Rehman's career, even though Bombay/Rangeela/Thiruda Thiruda were all excellent. Going by that, "I" felt that, SDM was below his high standards and that most would agree on that count.

Although the question was not meant for me, according to me his best probably was "Boys" music. It's because even though I can't understand Tamil, I just can't stop listening to it. And specially on long drives this music acts as a re-vitallizer. I didn't like Lagaan music that much, movie was good but not the music. And even if say music was good then also it won't have contested for best music award in Oscars as it was not a hollywood movie. Best music/score awards in Oscars are given for Hollywood movies only AFAIK.

Anyway, what beats me here is that SDM bashers(some) are making comments about SDM lovers(if there is anyone here) that they(lovers) love this movie just because it's endorsed by USofA. Which again a mere speculation. Here again I would like to iterate the old saying that one man's food can be another man's poison. So basically it refers to one's taste what he/she likes or not. So better not bring that theory of US-praisers-following-anything-US-likes or whatever into it. Can we please get out of that mindset too?
Old 24th February 2009, 21:27   #147
BHPian

I think it is a commercial decision rather then an artistic one. Most major Hollywood studios have made an entry in India and have a lot of money riding on Indian films.
It's really simple isn't it? How many more people will now watch Slumdog because it has won so many Oscars?
When it stinks, follow the money!

This same phenomenon took place with the beauty paegents. Suddenly world class beauties were discovered in India, and then anyone Indian was beautiful!
Yukta Mookhey? Miss World? Think about it.

Did SDM deserve the Best Film? Hell, No!
Was this A.R's best work? Certainly not!
Am I glad he won an Oscar? Hell Yeah. I've been enjoying his music for far too long to even care whether or not this was his best.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:09   #148
BANNED

No comment on the movie in question, the Academy Awards or A R Rahman's music for the movie in question. Although I think vikram18 has said what I think (the first 2 points, at least).

I will comment on Lagaan though - what a boring movie. Cricket, of all the topics in the world!

But, as I was mentioning to iraghava recently, you haven't heard A R Rahman until you've heard A R Rahman's music for a Tamil movie. Same goes for Mani Ratnam as a director - his movies in Tamil are far better than the remakes / dubbed versions (Guru was probably the exception - Gujarati-looking people looked so out of place speaking Tamil).
Old 24th February 2009, 22:23   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Did SDM deserve the Best Film? Hell, No!
Was this A.R's best work? Certainly not!
Am I glad he won an Oscar? Hell Yeah.
I guess most of us will agree to this viewpoint.

We are happy & proud that AR Rahman & Rusel Pookutty won the laurels for our country at the International stage!
Kudos to them!

Last edited by finneyp : 24th February 2009 at 22:25.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:01   #150
BANNED

Well the best music was in 'Kadalan', later dubbed in Hindi as 'Humse Hai Muqabala'. Though Rahman came under the spotlight with 'Roja', its was with this movie he penetrated Hindi hinterland and became household name. During its time it was the most copied music - there were something like 13 other songs with the same tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Although the question was not meant for me, according to me his best probably was "Boys" music.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks