Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 20:56   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

When I was a smoker, I'm sorry to say that that sort of thing only made me reach for a cigarette.

Stupid, I know. But there is a fair amount of stupidity involved in addiction: the substance seems to cause it.

A Personal health scare is another matter. Or, it can be: a nurse told me about the guy who had had one lung removed, and was still sneaking out of the hospital for a smoke after the operation.

I don't know the date of my last cigarette, but I know that I gave up using a 12-week patches plan, and that I gave up the patches (I just forgot them, and called it a day) a week or so before my 40th birthday, because that was my absolute inescapable undertaking.

31 years this July.

It is good to know how many years and to be honest about it in medical examinations.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th March 2023 at 21:01.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 10:56   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Another attempt of mine. Non-smoker for couple of days. I'm feeling more confident this time, I'd say rather determined this time to quit.
I've got nicotex gums for the first time, might carry them along but planning not to use them unless I must.

I'm going to avoid most of those situations when I'm tempted to smoke (post meal, post runs, partying with other smokers, waiting for something/someone, tensed or excited state etc.)
I'm also going to observe and measure the changes that body and mind goes through during this time, been observing resting heart rate, HRV, maxHR during my runs, recovery heart rate and BP may be. These measurement would be some fun during the process. However, the real thing would be to continue working on my mindset throughout the process.
It's been a long time with this addiction (leaving 2 years I remained non-smoker in between) and I really want to change things before a professional will have to tell me, this may reduce my chances of suddenly dropping down with SCD somewhere, that we started to observe more commonly these days. Feeling great for past couple days, my short term target is to get to 3 months mark and continue to remain stronger. Gratitude, for the support.
Ketan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:54   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Another attempt of mine.
Try this: don't call it an attempt. You are not trying to give up smoking, you are giving up smoking.
Quote:
I'm feeling more confident this time, I'd say rather determined this time to quit.
Good. You need determination!
Quote:
I'm going to avoid most of those situations when I'm tempted to smoke (post meal, post runs, partying with other smokers, waiting for something/someone, tensed or excited state etc.)
It can be a good idea to reduce temptation in the early days.
Quote:
my short term target is to get to 3 months mark and continue to remain stronger. Gratitude, for the support.
My view, and advice, is that one has to be uncompromising. It has to be forever. There is no short or medium term to become a non-smoker: it's for the rest of your life.

On the other hand, there's taking it day by day. And every day is a success!

Stick with your decision. You will be a non-smoker!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 16:07   #1939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59589775

"New Zealand to ban cigarettes for future generations"
But it will be interesting to see how this works out in a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I doubt that prohibition ever worked, but it is an interesting experiment.
Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67540190

"New Zealand smoking ban: Health experts criticise new government's shock reversal"

"New Zealand's new government says it plans to scrap the nation's world-leading smoking ban to fund tax cuts."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks