Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:45   #1801
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I've quit smoking since a month now
On August 7th, I completed a year of kicking the butt. It feels like an eternity somehow! And I felt it to be nothing short of an achievement so I was happy to share it as a WhatsApp status so my relatives, friends, colleagues could take note. Some took note, others didn't care but I received a lot of messages. It definitely felt good. You know that mandatory no-smoking ad that plays before the movie at the theatre, my mum used to pinch me in angst if she was sitting besides me. Not anymore!

So health-wise, I'm on the path to recovery for all the damage done over the last 9 years. The face has brightened up a bit and the facial skin has tightened. Not to mention we are planning for a baby now so this was a crucial step. Financially, I've saved roughly about 60k INR (10 smokes a day, slightly more when partying and the weekends). That's not a small amount when you take all these years which will add up.

So for those who are on the fence, quit TODAY! Switch to gums if you want to and gradually quit the gums as well. As it is, our busy lifestyles these days are plagued with all sort of issues. Don't let smoking add to the misery.

Do I miss smoking? Honestly, I do sometimes. During the monsoons in a nice chilly weather, when I'm driving solo etc. But I don't get the craving.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2019 at 10:48.
Old 22nd August 2019, 14:48   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations, Gannu First year of many!

For those who are not able to face Cold Turkey, there is nothing wrong with using an aid. In the end, patches worked for me.

Gum is closer to the smoking experience, as there is a nicotine peak when one chews. With patches, there is no peak, they just keep the nicotine level just enough to avoid craving. For me, they took away most of the pain of giving up.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:35   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Gannu
Look forward to keep hearing milestones on further anniversaries down the line.
I started off counting the money saved too, but now I don't know where all those supposed savings are. Better benefits become more visible soon

Best wishes for your plans.
Old 25th August 2019, 06:27   #1804
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Another news on Vaping - "Just one vaping session damages blood vessels, even if it’s nicotine-free"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
A news report on a serious lung infection in the US caused by Vaping.
And more recently, a death too . Damn, I used to be a daily vaper. Happy to quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Do I miss smoking? Honestly, I do sometimes. During the monsoons in a nice chilly weather, when I'm driving solo etc. But I don't get the craving.
There are some moments when a cigarette would be nice, but those feelings are too few & infrequent to bother paying any attention to.

By the way, I visited my alma mater and saw "proud to be smoke-free" signs all around the campus. How times have changed. When I was studying my MBA @ Bentley, they had dedicated smoking rooms!

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-20190809-11.57.52.jpg
Old 25th August 2019, 07:59   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

By the way, I visited my alma mater and saw "proud to be smoke-free" signs all around the campus. How times have changed. When I was studying my MBA @ Bentley, they had dedicated smoking rooms!

Did the university's name factor into your choice for pursuing MBA? I'm prepping too and would like to add it to my shortlist if it's worth the investment.

Last edited by sharktale : 25th August 2019 at 08:00.
Old 25th August 2019, 14:34   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

This sudden incidence/attribution of serious illness and even death to vaping is quite strange. I wonder if it will be properly researched.

Vaping seems to me to be either too good to be true or too absurd to be reasonable, but I'm no scientist.

Generally, nature doesn't seem to give us stuff like this for free. Like... There are no completely risk-free chemical highs, or even serious pain killers. Of course, there's a scale of danger from slight to lethal.

I wonder if the vaping industry will be hit? Tobacco is entrenched, vaping is but young.
Old 6th September 2019, 09:06   #1807
BHPian

Hello everyone, like everyone I tried to quit smoking a lot of times, hardly lasted for 24hours though.
This time it has been 3days and couple of hours I haven't smoked.
But since yesterday I am suffering from bad cold, headache and fever.
Is it something to worry about ?
I used to smoke 12-15 cigarettes a day and quit cold turkey.
Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 6th September 2019, 09:18   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Hello everyone, like everyone I tried to quit smoking a lot of times, hardly lasted for 24hours though.
This time it has been 3days and couple of hours I haven't smoked.
But since yesterday I am suffering from bad cold, headache and fever.
Is it something to worry about ?
I used to smoke 12-15 cigarettes a day and quit cold turkey.
Any tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Congratulations, Rohit! Quitting an addiction cold turkey is a huge feat, but continuing with it is the biggest challenge. Those are common withdrawal symptoms that you're going through, so there's nothing to worry about. In a couple of days, you'll be absolutely fine. By now the nicotine has more or less left your blood completely, so you only have to make sure that you don't go back to the cancer stick. From now onwards, you'll feel fresh and you won't have the odour of cigarettes on yourself all the time anymore. It's a great feeling, trust me! All the best, and may your journey be successful!
Old 6th September 2019, 09:38   #1809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Congratulations, Rohit! Quitting an addiction cold turkey is a huge feat, but continuing with it is the biggest challenge. Those are common withdrawal symptoms that you're going through, so there's nothing to worry about. In a couple of days, you'll be absolutely fine. By now the nicotine has more or less left your blood completely, so you only have to make sure that you don't go back to the cancer stick. From now onwards, you'll feel fresh and you won't have the odour of cigarettes on yourself all the time anymore. It's a great feeling, trust me! All the best, and may your journey be successful!
Than you for your kind words sir. Never imagined quitting would be so difficult. Although I am mentally prepared, physically my body is not supporting. Never had such cold, fever in all these years and now suddenly after quitting facing all the trouble, hope it goes away soon.
Old 6th September 2019, 15:04   #1810
Distinguished - BHPian

Well done for Quitting! The first few days are the worst, but you'll still have to work at it for some time, and make certain not to fall to any temptation for the rest of your life!

Your cold is probably coincidence. Remember you need to meet virus to get cold.

All the best for continuing the giving-up work.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:45   #1811
Senior - BHPian

A big news on E-cigarettes - Banned in India

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...h-4449681.html
Old 18th September 2019, 18:40   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
A big news on E-cigarettes - Banned in India

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...h-4449681.html
Idiotic move from an illiterate subset of people.
In other news, gutkah and cigarettes, the healthier alternative to whey after gym continues to develop the country through its csr contributions to tax coffers.

As someone rightly said, the biggest achievement in this country still, is leaving it.
Old 18th September 2019, 19:25   #1813
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPIANs. If it can be of any help to those who smoke, here goes the success story.
What started just before my end of college days as a casual trial stuck with me through all professional times for about 20 years! By then I had tried almost all kinds of smoke (except the narcotics). There were occasional bouts of sanity helping me quit the habit. Yet, my occupational conditions (remoteness, solitude & occupational hazards) ensured its continuity. Yet, I knew the blame goes to me.
One day, finally it struck me (motivated by an angel query). It just hits you, and it goes WHAM - straight out of your system. So did the habit of an occasional drink on the rocks. Been a year or more, the thought never even occurs to me!
I attribute it to the element of GRIT. The ability to eliminate things from your system ruthlessly. End of Matter.
Good Luck.
Old 18th September 2019, 20:25   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it is necessary to be ruthless. Making up the mind finally, with no option to change.

Once people do that, the rest is inevitable, although not always easy

Congratulations on your achievement
Old 4th October 2019, 15:18   #1815
Oxy
BHPian

After several "attempts" which failed to last, this time I have managed to have smoked my last stick on 30th September (hopefully). Been 3 full days now and counting. I decided to quit cold turkey but I am sure staying motivated will be hard. Let me see how it goes.

Just one question though to successful quitters, how do you deal with not smoking during that occasional alcohol session with friends or at an office party/outing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks