Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:54   #301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Iv crossed around 60 days.
Frankly speaking now i don't feel like smoking even if my friends smoke in front of me or when am driving etc.
Way to go. You can do it. I have managed to be CLEAN for the last 9 months.
The emphasis is on the word CLEAN.
I don't carry the smell of death on me any more.
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:54   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
1 Thing I have done though which is something I'm proud of, usually never exceed 20(pack) a day. I've set my limit, now time to quit completely!

By pack, do you mean 20 cigarettes or its 200 cigarettes per day (20 packets x 10 numbers per packet)
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:13   #303
Senior - BHPian

Harit,

A wonderful write up. It really makes sense as you said to prolong the time of the first cig. This was I will have less time to smoke. Your write up has greatly influenced me. I am waiting for the day when my car will stop smelling of cigarette.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:52   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
By pack, do you mean 20 cigarettes or its 200 cigarettes per day (20 packets x 10 numbers per packet)
I'm sure he meant 20 cigarettes i.e a pack of 20, he wouldnt be here if it were 200 !
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:15   #305
Senior - BHPian

Giving up smoking is easy, I have done it many times.
Old 4th June 2009, 00:26   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
I'm sure he meant 20 cigarettes i.e a pack of 20, he wouldnt be here if it were 200 !
Yeah I meant 20, as in 20 white cylinders to a pack (A Davidoff man)

And 200 a day is doable. There are some famous Bollywood personalities who are quite close already. Well maybe not, but 4-5 packs a day is still a hell of a lot!
Old 31st July 2009, 02:17   #307
BHPian

Reducing the number of cigs per day will NOT reduce the ammount of nicotine absorbed by the lungs greatly.Your body will develop a compensatory mechanism to extract more nicotine from the smoke.
Only way to stop smoking is to reduce it to zero.If you have been an addict purely,consult with a Psychiatrist for de-adiction programmee.He will guide you how to use nicotine patch along with some drugs to reduce the craving for cigs.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:53   #308
BHPian

Ok , Me was a smoker. I used to smoke approx 10 ciggies a day , Wills , Navy Cut. Bad.It has been close to 18 months since I quit and trust me guys , I am not lecturing , but it has been great. I used to revolve my life around the fag ( ya we used to call it that , please don't take the wrong meaning .) , but now I rule my life.

I never visited so many restaurants and other places of interest just because I could not get myself a puff.

Now I have been clean , but not very green due to the rising levels of pollution in Bangalore.

I would request each smoking member in TBHP to actually try for a day. You will cringe and wont like it , but I read somewhere that if in case you give up for the first 3 days you can give up for life.

I dont want to go back to the smoking me since I hated everything about me then ( no , no , no , I am not giving gyaan)

Please try for yourselves and the ones who love you. ( if you dont have anybody who loves you , once you quit , you might find one )

Life is great , dont spoil it with a death stick.

Visit a cancer ward for patients who have got cancer due to smoking or tobacco related intoxicants , I am sure all the hero's would stop smoking and dont put it off by saying "ya my father still smokes" or "my grandfather still smokes" , they were the lucky ones , you might not be.

( Hope this post aint too serious or morbid)
Old 1st August 2009, 14:02   #309
Senior - BHPian

I am glad I brought it down from 40 sticks per day to zero. I had smoked for close to 30 years. Now off it for 14 months. There is nothing glorious or machismo about smoking - either one or 200 cigarettes a day. There is no such thing called "I am mildly addicted."
You are either addicted or not addicted. Those who think they can control the urge to smoke and limit the number of sticks to a certain number per day are fooling themselves.
Every individual gets an inner call to quit. What triggers that call is different for different individuals. But the day that call comes you will quit. Before that no amount of walking the cancer wards of hospitals will help you quit. If that was the case then no doctor would take up smoking.
These words are drawn from my personal experience with smoking and coming out of it. I guess I am yet to come completely out of the grip of the demon. I still get those cravings once in a while. I guess I will have to fight that lonely battle with the nicotine demon till the day I die.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 1st August 2009 at 14:04.
Old 1st August 2009, 22:02   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I guess I will have to fight that lonely battle with the nicotine demon till the day I die.
+1. Iam nearing my 600th day without smoke. Every now and then, I get the feel & I know its the temporary urge which should not be encouraged. Benefits of quitting has to be really felt.. I understood how enjoyable that was....
Old 1st August 2009, 23:27   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

More than 17 years here!

And yes... occasionally...
Old 2nd August 2009, 00:12   #312
BHPian

12 years for me since my last. I used to smoke 10 cigs a day, followed an unconventional style to break off the habit. I increased the daily cigs to 20-24 for 2-3 days. My mouth was sore and got almost burnt, still persisted in pain till finally I developed hatred. Since then I have never smoked and i pray that I never fall into that trap again.

I know this sounds as an easy way to get off the habit finally, but I struggled with my lay off (countless resolutions) plans for 1 year before this clicked.

Not sermonising, but all those who smoke try and give up, not only for the environment and your loved ones, but for you yourself. Be healthy, live healthy!
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:20   #313
BHPian

This is it. I am quitting from this very day. Avid smoker, minimum a pack of 20 everyday, and on the days we drink, the count goes over 40. Infact i had those many last night only. But since i woke up this morning, many events have transpired around me, giving me the hints and indication to quit.

I pledge in front of this live forum as a witness to stay smoke free from this day on. May god give me the strength to bear the urges and recalls in the days to come.

Amen!
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:28   #314
BHPian

Quote:
+1. Iam nearing my 600th day without smoke. Every now and then, I get the feel & I know its the temporary urge which should not be encouraged. Benefits of quitting has to be really felt.. I understood how enjoyable that was....
Congrats.Crossing an year generally renders one de addicted physiologically and psychologically.
If you feel strong urge,you can take a vitamin C chewable tablet for then (tablet containing Vit C equivalent 500mg + glucose base).Do not exceed more than 2 tablets per day.It is theoritically proved in some centres that Glucose+Vit C decreases the crave.
Vit C overdose is extremely rare,though,I would suggest you to abstain cigs without any aid,use only when you can not tollarate the urge and you have no plan to go through a deaddiction program.
Apart from side affects you know about smoking,like some cancers,heart diseases etc,there is a disease known as Buerger's disease,in this disease,there is gross destruction of small blood vessels and nerves of foot(may affect hand,arm,leg).There is intractable pain of the affected limbs,which end up with destructive gangrene of the extremities.Surgical amputation is mainstay of treatment.
Cause is comsumption of tobacco in any form.
Here is popular picture attached for smokers enjoyment.(Photo Courtsey :Callifornia University of Health Sciences )
This patient could not quit smoking even after amputation of all the four limbs one by one,part by part.He arranged a "device" for smoking without the need of limbs.He died of lung carcinoma later.
Donot think it is a rare condition.Atleast 2 cases perweek per medical college and hospital on an average is operated for amputation in india.So,what you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-buergerdisease1.jpg  

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 3rd August 2009 at 01:36.
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:47   #315
BHPian

Its easy to preach when you you do not battle temptation !!! I've been smoke free for 18 months now !! I still take that ocasional puff and "taste" that tobacco !! I guess for someone who was very particular about fitness quitting should have come naturally ,....but no it was'nt so. With youth comes a feeling of invincibility !! What harm could a few puffs a day do...!!! However life this life long enough and you will sooner than later know that lung alveoli (the tiny bunch of grapes that exchange O2 in your lung) are numbered and do not regenerate !!! Meaning the ones you have charred are gone for good ! And any amount of excerise later and the hope of quiting when you are still ahead ain't gonna give you lung back the virginity which a simple surgery can !! Hence the point is that COPD (google it) and Emphysema (again uncle G) are friends you do not want to ever get aqauinted with !! Dude cause the end is not with these buddies but long drawn agony,....making you wish you were not born at all. Trust me I have 75 percent of my usable lung left !!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks