Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 16:00   #331
Senior - BHPian

I tried doing it for lent. Not working. The will to puff is stronger than the intent to quit.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:24   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@anuj.
Why don't you do a Sabrimala trip this year.
Sabarimala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or find something equivalent to it.
I used Ramzan last year to get rid of smoking.
Nice suggestion bblost, but it is very tough to leave almost everything except food.

I must congratulate you for quitting smoking. You must be relieved man and I know how tough is Ramzan. Kudos to you.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:43   #333
BANNED

My reason to quit was my Dad. Gave me 8k packed me off to Bangalore to find a job on my own in a city where i didn't know anyone nor had any place to stay.

I had to utilize the money for accommodation, travel within the city, for using cyber cafe's, prepaid mobile recharge, food and cigarettes.

As per estimates, 8K wouldn't last me more then 15 days. This was in 2002, the year of the last slowdown. I managed to stretch it for 1.5 months before i landed a job.

Striking off the expense for cigarettes was the easiest possible. For the past 7 years i have never succumbed to it again.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st September 2009 at 16:45.
Old 1st September 2009, 17:51   #334

Quit on the spot! Do not defer!

I have smoked cigarettes for over 11 years. I quit in 2006 November. I took the decision all of a sudden. The same day I threw away all the packets I had in stock. The first week without it was awful but I stood firm and am proud to say that I haven't taken a single puff ever since. There weren't any withdrawal symptoms that I could not manage (depression, headaches). From that day, I have come across several occasions when I was ridiculed for not "giving company". I do not regret letting the offers pass!

My advice for whatever it's worth - if you want to quit, quit now! This very moment. Throw away every pack or stub or bit from your possession. And stay away from your favorite "panwaalah" as well. Quitting doesn't need elaborate planning. Do not defer it.

All the best.
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:47   #335
Senior - BHPian

I have quit now for almost one and half years and feel much better for it !
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:20   #336
BHPian

I started as an occasional smoker during my college days of 2000, which became a regular habit of 4-5 cig. per day till 2004, 2005 was when I started smoking with no cap on the numbers.

Pre marriage it was for fun, post marriage all sort of reasons -
• This project is very stressful - Lets smoke and then work on it
• This tough project is over!! - Lets celebrate with a few puffs
• I have to drive all night - Only Cigarette can keep me awake
• I am hiking in the forest - Cigarette light would keep the animals away
• etc
• etc
Then I started working out in November 2008, and realized that even brisk walking was getting tough for me, I used to pant like a dog after a few steps. My personal trainer advised to quit smoking if I wanted to be fit. Quit the same on April 2008 and since then not touched it.
First week was very bad, frequent headaches, loss of concentration, irritable temperament. But now I am free of the habit.
Results – Can run non-stop on treadmill at 7-8 kmph for 15-20 minutes, work out daily for 1.5-2 hrs
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:24   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Quit the same on April 2008 and since then not touched it.
More than a year is as good as forever. Although the physical withdrawal symptoms went away in a week, I found that after 5-6 months, even the psychological cues went away (guess you will know what I mean). Cigarettes are not on my mind anymore.
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:26   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
• I am hiking in the forest - Cigarette light would keep the animals away
LMAO

As an ex smoker, totally see myself in that statement.
Any excuse was good enough for lighting up.
If we could find no excuse, then the excuse was thinking up an excuse.

Self deception!
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:24   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
More than a year is as good as forever. Although the physical withdrawal symptoms went away in a week, I found that after 5-6 months, even the psychological cues went away (guess you will know what I mean). Cigarettes are not on my mind anymore.
I have not counted how many attempts were made to quit. But the last effort has been successful for the past 600+ days. Even couple of my previous attempts has crossed 400+ days, but got into the habit again with a casual puff.

The most important feel that I prefer to keep always at the corner of my heart is the extent of the damage my first puff caused & the efforts it takes to quit. This is to ensure that I never ever touch that in my life.

Really what keep me going is the freshness and energy I gain as a non-smoker.

Passive smoking

Quote:
[SIZE=2]Mainstream smoke consists of the smoke emitted from the smoker’s mouth after exhalation. Even though it has already passed through one smoker's lungs this noxious smoke contains about 4,000 dangerous cancer-causing chemicals! Sidestream smoke on the other hand is the fumes which seep from a lighted cigarette and it contains almost the same ingredients as mainstream smoke.[/SIZE]
Old 12th October 2009, 00:54   #340
BHPian

Its been 2 months since I smoked. That is the longest in my efforts to quit. Earlier it used to last for a maximum of 6 or 7 days. This time I met one of my teachers and told her that I am quitting and that I will smoke only after I call her and tell that I am going to smoke. She said ok. Since then I haven't smoked. Its difficult for me to call a teacher and tell her that I am going to smoke. Thats what keeps me from smoking.

Last edited by fireblade007 : 12th October 2009 at 00:56.
Old 12th October 2009, 03:18   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
This time I met one of my teachers and told her that I am quitting and that I will smoke only after I call her and tell that I am going to smoke. She said ok. Since then I haven't smoked. Its difficult for me to call a teacher and tell her that I am going to smoke. Thats what keeps me from smoking.
good idea, although if i met my high school teacher and promised so, i would start smoking ASAP in anticipation of calling her .
Old 12th October 2009, 04:03   #342
BHPian

@vivekiny2k
i haven't promised that I wont smoke. I will smoke if I call her and tell that I am going to smoke and she is unsuccessful in stopping me
Old 17th October 2009, 15:08   #343
Senior - BHPian

There's no quitting smoking. I've realized that, sadly enough.
Old 17th October 2009, 15:21   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
There's no quitting smoking. I've realized that, sadly enough.

More than a year since my last cigarette.

But I kind of agree with you.
Miss the occasional smoke.
But I have decided to choose life over that stinking stick of cancer.

I don't want to die a slow death brought on by my own stupid choice.
Old 18th October 2009, 01:58   #345
BHPian

A few months back I went to the dental department of a hospital because I had chewing problems. Upon seeing the dental x-ray, the orthodontist told me that I have a lot of bone degeneration. He asked me whether I smoked. Upon replying in the affirmative, he said that smoking (nicotine deposits, blah, blah...) restricts blood supply to the gum (or something like that) and one thing leads to another. That's when I realise that eating is more important than smoking cigarettes. I have been smoke free for about six months now and am not going back. Not at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks