Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm now 1 year up - totally smoke free.
Congratulations!
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a stuck record here
It's inevitable. There is a heap of stuff that people say about not giving up, but actually very little to say about giving up!
Old 18th May 2019, 22:09   #1742
Senior - BHPian

It's 4151 days since the day I have quit smoking. 11 years, 4 months and 13 days. One of the primary reason for keeping it going is avoiding that first puff -

Quote:
My case is simple : I love my Marlboros. And dont want to quit.
GTO
Quote:
I'm now 1 year up - totally smoke free. Don't miss cigarettes now even 1%.
Change is the only constant. All the best. Read your post in fitness thread that you feel most fittest ever with IF and exercise
Old 19th May 2019, 02:33   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of us make better examples in the sense that people can think, "If He can do it, I must be able to!"

My best friend was such an example to me. The least can do is to do the same for others!
Old 20th May 2019, 06:55   #1744
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you! A bigger achievement is I don't miss cigarettes at all (thanks to Allen Carr), unlike some who quit smoking, but still crave smokes & think they're missing out. That book has completely brainwashed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Change is the only constant. All the best. Read your post in fitness thread that you feel most fittest ever with IF and exercise
Thank you! I think it is also about how one thinks when they're 30 (my first post you quoted) and when you're 40 (I finally quit).

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2019 at 06:56.
Old 20th May 2019, 12:46   #1745
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wanted to add one point.

Closer to our (automotive) home, Sergio Marchionne suffered a lot due to smoking & died a painful death, at a relatively early age. Some reports say that he caught lung cancer. Thing is, Sergio did quit smoking, but just a year before his death.

Would you want to quit smoking only AFTER being diagnosed with a terrifying disease, or just quit BEFORE and greatly reduce your odds of suffering? Wouldn't you rather quit & enjoy a healthy life instead?
Old 20th May 2019, 14:52   #1746
Distinguished - BHPian

Some people don't quit even after diagnosis. It's bad enough that I smoked my way through curable chest infections, but even cancer does not stop some.

I did have major chest surgery, although the problem was not smoking related. I think it was in the hospital that I heard of the guy who had had a cancerous lung removed... But they could not stop him sneaking outside to the car park for a smoke.

Even though they turned out to be not smoking-related, my health issues had been, eventually, part of the fear that helped me to give up. I could hardly believe the story of that guy. But I guess docs could probably relate many examples of people actively killing themselves with tobacco.
Old 20th May 2019, 14:59   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone here tried the Juul and other e-cigarettes?

While it's not 100% safe and tested as yet (long term effects are still to be known), and while many see it as a gateway to nicotine addiction, I have been using it for the past few months and here are my observations:

1) I have completely reduced smoking cigarettes except 1-2 a day. 90% it is just 1 in the mornings.
2) My breathing is better and smoker's cough has reduced significantly
3) If we go by the calculations that 1 Juul Pod = 1 packet of cigarettes, my cigarette intake has reduced.

That being said, it has it's negatives:
1) Many flavours like Mango, Mint, Fruit Medley, etc. makes people increase their nicotine consumption as they smoke more to enjoy the flavor. In fact, many non-smoking youngsters are getting hooked on to the flavor pods and starting to get addicted to nicotine. I have overcome this by getting tobacco flavored pods.

2) Makes smoking easier as it doesn't smell. Means where I would walk out of the house to smoke in the heat, I can now have it in the bed. Thankfully this wasn't a big issue for me.

3) Legality is still a question mark

4) More expensive than cigarettes but only marginally so.
Old 20th May 2019, 15:17   #1748
BHPian

17th March 2019, the last packet of 20's I had purchased and smoked got over. Since then have not had a single puff.

14 years of smoking that started by second hand smokes was ended with just a thought that why spend so much on a thing that makes your mouth stink and may give you a painful death.

Very soon planning to give up alcohol as well.(But its harder than smoking to give up as the better half also enjoys her craft beers and whiskies)

Hope the mind stays strong.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:24   #1749
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I used to vape earlier. In fact, I'll give some credit to vaping too as it got me off cigarettes during the day. I used to primarily vape during the day and have a Marlboro or 2 at night.

Used the V2 Pro with Marlboro Red fluid which was convincingly like the real thing.

Quote:
I have completely reduced smoking cigarettes except 1-2 a day. 90% it is just 1 in the mornings.

2) My breathing is better and smoker's cough has reduced significantly
My experience was the same. However, do note that the long-term effects of vaping are yet unknown. You are basically a guinea pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
17th March 2019, the last packet of 20's I had purchased and smoked got over. Since then have not had a single puff.
Congratulations buddy! Wish you a healthy, enjoyable & fit life without cigarettes.
Old 21st May 2019, 13:07   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My experience was the same. However, do note that the long-term effects of vaping are yet unknown. You are basically a guinea pig.
Completely agree and have mentioned the same above.

The intent is to use it to help reduce and eventually stop it - and judging from your experience, it will have to be cold turkey the day the mind is made up!
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:16   #1751
BHPian

Quote:
Well i am on JUUL for 5 months straight today, supplemented by nicotine gums. I have not chewed, inhaled or smoked tobacco in any other form in this period.

My consumption was high - more than 20 cigarettes a day mixed with tobacco chewing, which ironically was started as a smoking alternative but became more addictive than cigarettes themselves.
Initially when i started "Juuling", a pod lasted me a day, now it stretches to 4 days.
I aim to be completely off nicotine by the time 2019 ends.
Benefits: Now i can climb a 5 floor building without all the huffs and puffs. I can talk without having to worry about my breath and feel generally fitter overall.
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:21   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you buy a pod system such as an atopack magic, your over all costs will become about 5% of regular cigarettes.
Secondly, if you, or anyone else is worried about higher nic intake, just reduce the percentage, bringing it down to 0 at the end.
If you need any other information, PM me. I have been vaping now fro some time now, and may be able to give gyaan...

Last edited by mayankk : 23rd May 2019 at 15:22.
Old 24th May 2019, 14:39   #1753
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The intent is to use it to help reduce and eventually stop it - and judging from your experience, it will have to be cold turkey the day the mind is made up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Well i am on JUUL for 5 months straight today, supplemented by nicotine gums. I have not chewed, inhaled or smoked tobacco in any other form in this period.
Vaping made me realise that I could live without cigarettes. After 22 straight years of Marlboro Reds, it was quite a revelation.

Quote:
Initially when i started "Juuling", a pod lasted me a day, now it stretches to 4 days.
I aim to be completely off nicotine by the time 2019 ends.
. Since you are clearly motivated right now, try to prepone it.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:03   #1754
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just posting this if it helps motivate a smoker to quit.

1+ year now without cigarettes and the benefits I see include better taste (become a foodie now), superb cardio capacity at the gym (like 50% more), a 25-hour day (basically, gained the 1 hour otherwise wasted on smoking), zero dependency (don't even think about Marlboros anymore), increased focus on health + wellness (snowball effect) and looks .

I never realised how smoking affects your face until I saw these pictures.

This is me now in 2019. Non-smoker:
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-annotation-20190529-135808.jpg

This is me 4 years back, in 2015. Heavy smoker. Notice the dark patches that have miraculously disappeared. Skin feels tighter now. It's almost as if you have rolled the clock backward:
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking-annotation-20190529-135855.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th May 2019 at 14:06.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:11   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... the benefits I see include better taste (become a foodie now), superb cardio capacity at the gym (like 50% more), a 25-hour day (basically, gained the 1 hour otherwise wasted on smoking), zero dependency (don't even think about Marlboros anymore), increased focus on health + wellness (snowball effect) and looks . ...
And no need to keep a horse!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th May 2019 at 14:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks