Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 13:13   #1696
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I don't usually make New Year resolutions, rather set some goals for myself. However, this New Year, I simply decided I'm going to quit smoking - For Life.
Congratulations on taking the big first step.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this thread, but please read Allen Carr's "easy way" book. Order it on Kindle and start today. Do it at the rate of 1 chapter a day. It'll change your life. Number of times I've thought about cigarettes in the last 5 days is ONE, the one being while reading your post . I'm saying this as an ex-lover of Marlboro Reds for 22 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is that absolute decision that works. You are now a non-smoker. For life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Now just one of that group of 12-15 people still smokes.

Even at work, I see this trend. At my first job, in 2001, almost all the guys on my floor smoked. Easily verifiable as we all used to head out together with the boss to smoke. Over time and successive jobs, I find that fewer and fewer of my team members smoke.
True. At the new year's party, there were just 2 smokers in our group of 20+. I think it's a multitude of factors = being more aware (internet), people caring about their health more than ever before etc. The newer generation is also smarter than we were; hardly any of them smoke (although too many of them vape).
Old 8th January 2019, 13:44   #1697
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going to be a bit if a mixed bag - Read on.

A dear friend of mine recently quit smoking after a decade of smoking cigarettes. While I can surely say that he has not touched a single cigarette for months now, I still think he is an addict - the addiction is far more difficult to quit than cigarettes.

The addiction has now transformed into PUBG!! Harmless for his lungs, but addiction nevertheless. I do notice that he is looking for an occasion to dust up his Hookah gear, or have a pan after lunch with increasing frequency. This is a worrying trend.

Those who quit smoking, please ensure that you add Hookah , Pan etc to the list - Stopping one addiction can sometimes spillover into the next substance - equally bad at times.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:09   #1698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Sadly though, my closest friend, my 'chaddi-buddy' for over 30 long years is still a heavy smoker with no intention of giving it up. Funny thing is that back when I started smoking (I quit in 2005) he had not started and was very angry with me for smoking. I've tried reasoning with him, getting angry with him, the usual things, but I'm really afraid for his health.
Smokers are not very good at listening to reason. Been there, and not listened, myself!

Edit. Crossposted.

Kosfactor, what is PUBG?

Quote:
add Hookah , Pan etc to the list
People have an idea that hookah causes less damage than cigarettes: don't know, but colour me cynical! Paan comes with its own dangers. Beetel nut itself can actually cause cancer. Of course, if the paan recipe includes tobacco, then your friend has jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Any kind of chewed or sucked tobacco carries a serious risk of mouth/throat cancer. Even as a smoker who would not listen to reason, the idea of having my face rotting away really freaked me out.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th January 2019 at 15:17.
Old 8th January 2019, 15:28   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Paan comes with its own dangers. Beetel nut itself can actually cause cancer.
Wasn't aware of this about Betel nut. Thanks for pointing out.

Read about the same on internet and it seems Betel nut is indeed not good for health as well as is 4th most popular psychoactive substance after nicotine, alcohol and caffeine.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 8th January 2019 at 15:54. Reason: Spelling
Old 8th January 2019, 15:46   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Wasn't aware of this about Beetal nut. Thanks for pointing out.
A little-known fact. How dangerous, I can't say. And you have now asked the internet about it much more recently than I last did.

Gutkha, of course... So bad that it is actually banned. A ban that seems to have little effect on the street

By the way, thanks for spelling it properly. I seem to have it confused with a brand of cheap modems!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th January 2019 at 15:47.
Old 8th January 2019, 16:35   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Kosfactor, what is PUBG?

People have an idea that hookah causes less damage than cigarettes: don't know, but colour me cynical! Paan comes with its own dangers. Beetel nut itself can actually cause cancer. Of course, if the paan recipe includes tobacco, then your friend has jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. Any kind of chewed or sucked tobacco carries a serious risk of mouth/throat cancer. Even as a smoker who would not listen to reason, the idea of having my face rotting away really freaked me out.

Not to worry, PUBG is relatively new term to me as well - Players Unknown Battle Ground - a game that appears to be the most addictive. I do not play it, but most people I know are into it, some more than others.

Hookah is more dangerous than Cigarettes and much less regulated as well, You also tend to smoke a lot more volume with that stuff.

Yes you are right. While there are advisories on products containing Tobacco, Beetelnut \ Arecanut due to its political positioning comes without any warning IIRC. Arecanut is a carcinogen, so anything that contains this substance should be avoided as well.

Addiction of any kind should be treated as a medical condition, Its not a matter of discipline or obedience -awareness must be build and addicts must take medical advice for the better.
Old 8th January 2019, 22:41   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not to worry, PUBG is relatively new term to me as well - Players Unknown Battle Ground - a game that appears to be the most addictive. I do not play it, but most people I know are into it, some more than others.
Oh, I saw that in Google, but couldn't relate it.
Quote:
Hookah is more dangerous than Cigarettes and much less regulated as well, You also tend to smoke a lot more volume with that stuff.
That makes sense.
Quote:
Yes you are right. While there are advisories on products containing Tobacco, Beetelnut \ Arecanut due to its political positioning comes without any warning IIRC. Arecanut is a carcinogen, so anything that contains this substance should be avoided as well.
I seem to have forgotten what I learned: Betel is the leaf, and areca (commonly called Betel, but from an entirely different plant), is the nut, right?
Old 9th January 2019, 09:51   #1703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, I saw that in Google, but couldn't relate it.That makes sense.
I seem to have forgotten what I learned: Betel is the leaf, and areca (commonly called Betel, but from an entirely different plant), is the nut, right?
Yes Areca nut is the correct common name for it, betel leaf is used to wrap it.

The Areca Palms are very common down south, it is an excellent cash crop. The berries sell for high price and has a strong hold on the political landscape.
Old 9th January 2019, 14:13   #1704
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
A dear friend of mine recently quit smoking after a decade of smoking cigarettes. While I can surely say that he has not touched a single cigarette for months now, I still think he is an addict - the addiction is far more difficult to quit than cigarettes.
For the initial 3 - 4 weeks, the addiction & cravings are caused by nicotine. They are REAL. After that, it's no longer chemicals. Just brain-washing. He needs to get off the thought of smoking.

Quote:
I do notice that he is looking for an occasion to dust up his Hookah gear
He shouldn't. Best to quit every kind of smoking & nicotine, with absolutely zero exceptions.
Old 9th January 2019, 14:35   #1705
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews of JUUL?

I have been trying to quit smoking but it is getting really difficult. So I was wondering if there is an alternative which will be harmless and will linearly bring down the urge. So far, all my efforts to quit smoking has gone in vain.
Old 9th January 2019, 16:16   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Any reviews of JUUL?

I have been trying to quit smoking but it is getting really difficult. So I was wondering if there is an alternative which will be harmless and will linearly bring down the urge. So far, all my efforts to quit smoking has gone in vain.
Probably this should guide you.

Source : British Public Health Safety, Probably

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-4...b-test-results

Definitely worth it.
Old 9th January 2019, 17:04   #1707
BHPian

Naive Advice :

The amount you're spending to buy cigarettes (singular/packs), immediately transfer that same amount to a specially created bank account each day, everyday. At the end of the year, you can pay it as a premium for an additional LIC, or just invest it somewhere. This may either keep your addiction at check, or else provide your loved ones with monetary compensation for your dumb actions.

This is exactly the advice I gave my Tauji, during my teens years, to help him curb smoking. He did the same for some years, then left it.
He still chuckles about it during family get-togethers, and says the investment return he got was good.

Quote:
Any reviews of JUUL?

One of my friends uses it. It's really effective in terms of transferring your addiction from cigarettes to nicotine. Plus it looks sexier. :P
From what he said, procuring the cartridges (which contain almost the amount for 20 cigs), is kind of difficult, especially in India.
Old 10th January 2019, 00:01   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've only ever, really, posted two useful things on this great forum...

1. (off topic to this thread) Don't drive into things.

2. It is useless to try to give up smoking. It is no good at all making efforts. You have to do it. Finally and irrevocably. It is all in that one simple decision, about which you will never permit yourself to change your mind.

Hope you may find at least one of those messages useful
Old 10th January 2019, 08:22   #1709
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any reviews of JUUL?
I vaped for about a year before quitting Marlboros + vaping + nicotine of any kind (e.g. hookah). Will say that vaping definitely appears to be the lesser of the evils as it brought down my number of cigarettes drastically. I also noticed an improvement in my cardio capacity when I moved from cigarettes to vaping.

This is a frank opinion. What you should do is get off smoking entirely. But if I had to choose between cigarettes & vaping, it would be vaping. One thing really bothered me though = vaping is a completely unknown territory and there is no standardization in vape fluids. Hell knows what you are putting into your body.

Please quit cigarettes. Trust me, it'll soon be a year since I quit and I don't even think of cigarettes anymore. It's history.
Old 10th January 2019, 14:53   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian

Repeat, but hope it helps...

At the time I actually used the words "final and irrevocable." And I listed potentially stressful, tragic, catastrophic events in my head, and said, not even these, not even all of them at once, would make me smoke again. Ever.

Think of it like a management decision where there can be no going back.

I think I have it licked. But, even after 26 years, complacency could be dangerous!

(Not driving into things, on the other hand, is something I have to take day by day. At least it's been a while since the last expensive repair!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks