Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 15:14   #1546
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

So, ok, it's much less dangerous. So vape. Vape for ever, and do the social investment thing of discussing the ins and outs, the machines and the mixtures. On a vaping thread. And there is nothing illegal about cigarettes, so why not a favourite-brands thread? It is not against forum or national laws to smoke them. Nobody is obliged to give up.

In that case, this thread should be renamed to How we quit smoking cold turkey, and you can come here after you believe you can. No vaping, gums, patches, yoga, or thai massages. Just turkey. And that too only cold.
Might be a little long, that title, but will keep people in their "place".
Old 6th July 2017, 16:37   #1547
Distinguished - BHPian

This is getting like those audiophile sites where a "subjectivist" believes that anyone who even looks at a measurement, or asks for a blind test of the highly-unlikely, automatically believes that everything sounds the same anyway. And what I did with that crowd was... leave.

No, we do not all believe that cold turkey is the only way to go.

Do I have to count the number of times I have said that in the last couple of days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

In that case, this thread should be renamed to How we quit smoking cold turkey, and you can come here after you believe you can. No vaping, gums, patches, yoga, or thai massages. Just turkey. And that too only cold.
Might be a little long, that title, but will keep people in their "place".
Giving up Nicotine. Will do. Three words, to the point, and people are in or out.

Yes, I got fed up with audiophools, and, not that my presence or absence on a thread is any big deal, I'm getting fed up with this. What has been of genuine help and support to a number of people, with help from those of us who have been there, done that, and paid the price with various levels of suffering, at least in the short term, has become a ludicrous argument about terms.

There is only one winner here: Nicotine.

Old 6th July 2017, 17:10   #1548
BANNED

Quote:
Vaping is an investment. I don't know how much that stuff cost (?) but I don't think people will be buying in with plans to throw it all away at the end of the month.
So? I quit analogs 3 years back, with some advice from a TBHP member. I don't plan to quit vaping or even move to zero nicotine vaping ever. I am not even trying. I got down to 3 mg nicotine & that's where I plan to stay. All my life I have wanted to smoke a cigarette which contains nicotine but not the 4999 other chemicals. And vaping is a like godsend for me.

Quote:
On a vaping thread.
Or in a thread to quit smoking analog cigarettes. Where different ways of quitting can be discussed.
Quote:

And that is my answer to both what's wrong with that andOne is about doing something; the other is about not doing something.
Both are about quitting analog cigarettes. Both are about quitting tar and 1000s of other chemicals.

Quote:

Giving up Nicotine.

There is only one winner here: Nicotine.
So what? In an analog cigarette, nicotine is the addictive substance, not the main harmful substance.

From here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Beyond addiction, both short and long-term nicotine exposure have not been established as dangerous to adults,[19] except among certain vulnerable groups.[20]

Last edited by carboy : 6th July 2017 at 17:19.
Old 6th July 2017, 18:57   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

There, as they say, you go then. Enjoy the digital?* stuff.

I continue to see it as having nothing to do with this thread. Everybody else's opinion may vary.

Enough from me on this.

*actually, it is an analogue that you are now smoking.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th July 2017 at 18:59.
Old 14th July 2017, 13:31   #1550
BHPian

Given that
a) Vaping does help people quit
b) There are a lot of misconceptions about vaping
c) Most importantly, unlike smoking, there are a lot of variables involved with vaping - unfortunately The info available with device vendors in India is often incorrect / valid only for heavy vapers rather than users who would prefer to use one as a smoking cessation device..

With that context, I would suggest we create a separate thread for vaping as a smoking cessation method..

I would be happy to pen down a brief guide on devices and DOs/DON'Ts for people looking to quit...Esp because I know a few people who brought vape devices only to be disappointed and go back to smoking only because the vendor sold them equipment/configuration that was not meant for them

Having said that, I wouldn't want to spend the effort only for that thread to be merged with this where (a) it will hurt sensibilities of folks who have quit altogether the hard way...(b) it will get lost in the metaphysical debate that will ensue

Can any of the mods confirm if it is fine by them to have a separate thread on it?
Old 14th July 2017, 15:43   #1551
BHPian

Guys, I need help! I quit smoking cold turkey 7 years back and never looked back. Zero cigarettes absolutely since then and not much withdrawal symptoms to write about. I have even persuaded my best friend to quit (he used gum but almost down to zero mg now). Recently, I find myself secretly craving a cig. The urge gradually builds up inside me as the day progresses. After work hours are the worst. Last few evenings, while I was having tea at the local chai-shop (who sells cigarettes too), I inhaled second-hand smoke from other smokers at the shop and found myself getting hooked. I feel very guilty that I am slowly sliding again towards smoking. My resistance is falling. The seduction of smoking is blowing me away, I need something to hold on to. Some inspiration for me, guys?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 14th July 2017 at 15:45.
Old 14th July 2017, 15:52   #1552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The seduction of smoking is blowing me away, I need something to hold on to. Some inspiration for me, guys?
I get this feeling sometimes. Out with a lot of friends, awesome food and great times.
Then I ask myself why not just one small puff. What harm can one stick do to me.

Then there are moments of loneliness. Sitting on the side of a road, wondering about the mystery of life and my place in it. What harm can one stick do?

Then worst of all, stuck in a problem. Something nasty or tricky. What harm can one stick do.

The answer to all these questions is the same.

It will :
not make my enjoyment better than it is.
it will not answer any question I have.
and most importantly, It will solve nothing.

So there is no use in going back to a horrible habit that does nothing for me except reduce the quality of my life and maybe kill me in the most painful way.
Old 14th July 2017, 17:52   #1553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
The seduction of smoking is blowing me away, I need something to hold on to. Some inspiration for me, guys?
Get seduced by something more fun than smoking?

But seriously, seven years down the drain for a bit of seduction? Not worth it. Starting from scratch, going through the whole thing of giving up again... getting seduced in seven year's time...

The alternative is stick to no smoking, and in seven years time you'll have almost forgotten any desire to smoke. Keep it up!
Old 14th July 2017, 21:48   #1554
BHPian

After a lot of failed attempts, today was one more day without a smoke for me, one thing i realized today is, i ate a lot today, more than i usually do and i still feel hungry, is this realted to quitting smoking ?
Old 14th July 2017, 22:01   #1555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
After a lot of failed attempts, today was one more day without a smoke for me, one thing i realized today is, i ate a lot today, more than i usually do and i still feel hungry, is this realted to quitting smoking ?
Kind off.

What happens is that your taste buds are slowly coming back to life. This makes food taste much better than it did before.
Also muscle memory. You used to smoke and hence did something between your fingers and your mouth.

Now you have no cancer stick in between. So substituting it with food.
Try and eat better quality of food instead of junk like potato chips and kurkure etc.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:01   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't want to make you panic, but better to get a blood work done with blood glucose fasting and Hb1ac levels just to be on safe side.

Feeling hungy after eating is one of the symptoms of type 2 diabates. Although a lot of other things can also cause increased hunger, but to rule it out, get a blood work done, specially if other symptoms like lot of thirst, increased urination, fatigue etc are present.

Last edited by DCEite : 15th July 2017 at 10:02.
Old 15th July 2017, 10:58   #1557
BHPian

Quote:
It is expected - Nicotine raises your glycogen level as well as dopamine (the happiness/satisfaction molecule)
Higher glycogen = less hunger
Higher dopamine = less desire for food (Rich food also acts as a dopamine releaser )
Old 18th July 2017, 09:14   #1558
Distinguished - BHPian

I keep peeking in here and every time it keeps getting worse, almost as bad as the brand wars that are discreetly taking place outside of this thread, except not, discreet.

Here's my little contribution to perhaps help things along - there will be smokers.. those who start today and those who might quit today, we're here to help people ease their anxiety about quitting or staying away.. whether they stay strong or succumb to the lure of the stick, that is purely upto them but one thing is for certain, to keep off anything be it a favorite high-calorie food, a tobacco stick, laziness etc involves high motivation and perhaps a couple of slip-ups now and then.. only then would success follow.

Its a relatively short life, quit or don't quit. Truth be told there are enough pollutants to kill you out there from high traces of lead and potassium in water, unrefined sodium in junk food, high amounts of NOx from diesel and carbon monoxide from every vehicle out there.. every 10-15 minutes you walk in traffic you're inhaling enough tar and pollutants that equals a couple of smokes.

But I digress.. you must quit because you're always inhaling poison outside, why do that inside as well? Why must things like emphysema, pharyngeal cancer, lower RBC count, lower WBC count hinder the way of living a total life? Why must a temptation be satisfied? Is it because you have Rs.150/- to spare per pack? Or is it simply because you feel in the bigger scheme of things a small indulgence simply doesn't matter? Behind every smoker there is a deep thought which seems to bother them and then that results in more smoking to block out the thoughts howsoever irrelevant in present time, lets not kid ourselves.. I know this is true. Eliminate the thought and the trigger gets cut down by half.

Its a useless industry and we're here to kill it.. cigarette butts are extremely ecologically toxic and emission from vehicles? How about the pipe that pumps out obnoxious noises and noxious gases called our mouth? Quitting is the best thing one can do, just make a start, fail, make a start again but try harder than ever. Some teens/post-teens do it simply for the style.. LAME lol. P.s I've smoked a Cuban cigar too.. felt like a boss for an hour or so, one good thing it did for me is it made a cigarette seem irritatingly small in comparison. I've quit "cold" so to speak, whatever obtuse origin of the term may it be.

I'm always available on PM and no I won't recommend that you tie yourself to a chair and stay put.

Last edited by dark.knight : 18th July 2017 at 09:43.
Old 27th July 2017, 19:19   #1559
BHPian

Dear All, I am not advocating nicotine in this thread but just sharing how I have managed to get off cigarettes and vaping has helped me do it _ its just my experience and if somehow this thread/post will get another to kick the habit - its a job well done i would say !!

Used to smoke about 15/20 cigs a day for about 10 years ! had to go to study a program and thought of trying out a ecig as regular cigs were not available on campus and took a long shot ! managed 5 days on the ecig and got back and started to look for something equivalent but was looking a for a better flavor _ where else but google _ thats when I chanced upon vaping _ practically the 1st time i heard about it too !! More googling for the stuff in India and got myself a basic kit and one backup kit _ not the fancy mod thing adjustable this but a basic sub 2500 vape pen with spare coils _ all and sundry arrived around the 15th with some fancy liquids one of the liquids was a 12mg and about 3 or 4 being 6 mg and a couple of 3 mg - In total about 6 to 7k of expense spare coils included !

Started on 15th july night and touch wood have not touched a cigarette since !! infact i found the 12 mg too hard and gave it away to a friend - done with the 6 mgs and now doing a combo of 6 and 3 - My avg is about 2 ml a day lower on holidays !! Having been reading a lot about clouds and flavors but my only goal is I aint going back to cigs and this is helping - The best obviously is fresh air without a doubt but this is helping me _ i have tried in the past to reduce and quit, cold turkey has been tried but I failed at all of them - This seems to working _ too early to say but looks like the first hump is crossed !! have not thought of buying a cig leave aside smoking one !!

Anybody want any help I am most willing to with what basic info i have - infact I sponsored a vape pen for a friend and he quit too - atleast till now !! No ideas of going into mods or advanced stuff _ just keep this going and done with it ! My next goal is lasting out till 1st sep and ending the 3mg stuff on or before 1st sep !!

Thanks, Srini

Last edited by Eddy : 9th August 2017 at 04:13. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 02:41   #1560
BHPian

For posterity's sake, it has been 7 weeks since i bought my last pack
I have probably smoked 10 cigs in that period (most of which were to test my resolve rather than a a genuine craving) - vs the 950-1000 odd i would have smoked otherwise

As for vaping, I am down to 3mg/ml (which I will probably stick with for the foreseeable future)
At a consumption rate of a 2-3 ml a day, I have also been able to avoid any and all nicotine cessation side effects (weight gain/irritability etc)

as an insurance against accidents/big tobacco led banning, I have bought 5 mods (devices) and 7 tanks (liquid vaporizers) along with a 3+ year supply of nicotine and flavors (which has been promptly moved to the deep freezer) although it appears i am partial towards strawberry cheesecake and lemon tarts

side benefit: missus thinks i smell faintly of desserts rather than a chimney these days
and no disrespect to the outright quitters but I have been able to do this with zero effort rather than struggling to keep up a resolve!

Last edited by abhi182 : 9th August 2017 at 02:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks