Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:08   #811
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help smoking Team-Bhp members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Thanks a ton dude. I need all the support i can get.

My cousin stopped smoking a couple of years back and said that appetite increases once the system is detoxified. He has put on quite a bit of weight since he quit.

Well its only four days for me and my appetite is unchanged. I will keep you advice in mind. Thanks again.
Tongue gets cleaner.
Food tastes better.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:14   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton dude. I need all the support i can get.

My cousin stopped smoking a couple of years back and said that appetite increases once the system is detoxified. He has put on quite a bit of weight since he quit.

Well its only four days for me and my appetite is unchanged. I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

I tried quitting 2 years back and was good for a week and reverted back to smoking. This time i am determined to quit for good.
All the best n_aditya.

I have heard the craving for food increases as one will be able to appreciate the real taste of food after quitting.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:22   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Aditya. I recall you mentioning when we met in Bangalore for the Metallica show that you wanted to stop smoking from that day onwards and what a bad time for such a thought

As even I was in similar stage, we both didnt buy any ciggarettes and during the show when the urge was at it's high. We borrowed 1-2 smokes from fellow head-bangers

Hope you continue with this smokeless regime.

From past one week, I am on a 1-Cigg/Day regime and hopefully will quit it for good ( with help from Nicorette)

Cheers & Goodluck !!!
Old 3rd November 2011, 18:57   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, Nicorette is kinda self-defeating because you are still delivering nicotine to your body. The best quit is cold turkey- i.e. not replacing one addiction with another. But whatever works for you is fine!

I have started putting on a lot of weight again- not sure it's because of the quit (been a year and a half now with no lapses) or just because the ole metab aint what it used to be. Planning to start a full-fledged fitness programme/regimen. Wish me luck!
Old 4th November 2011, 00:36   #815
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your membership of this exclusive club of non-smokers!

Quote:
Its been four days now and i get the urge to smoke a couple of times especially when i am at work. Standing outside my office building breathing in the "fresh air" and smoking while watching the traffic crawl by used to be my stress buster.
Go for the fresh air, or take a quick walk. Keep the good bit of the habbit, without the bad. Possibly you might have found that solutions to problems actually occurred to you during that time away from staring at them in the office? You can still do that, but just without the smoke!
Quote:
Heck, i even have half a pack of my brand of ciggies in my bag but dont feel tempted to even reach for them. Funny huh?
Throw them away! One day, that temptation might not come and go so easily. That's how it gets to you. Anyway, you're not going to smoke them, so why keep them in the bag?
Old 4th November 2011, 14:03   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
IMHO, Nicorette is kinda self-defeating because you are still delivering nicotine to your body. The best quit is cold turkey- i.e. not replacing one addiction with another. But whatever works for you is fine!
Well i'm not addicted to Nicorette. I'm on 1/10th the daily recommended dosage. Plain regular gum does the trick too. I just need something to drive the restlessness away.

Quote:
Wish me luck!
All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Congratulations on your membership of this exclusive club of non-smokers! Throw them away! One day, that temptation might not come and go so easily. That's how it gets to you. Anyway, you're not going to smoke them, so why keep them in the bag?
Thanks Thad. Got rid of the smokes yesterday itself. On a honest note, its not that hard to quit or stay clean. I never tried this hard earlier cos i enjoyed it and didn't want to stop... not anymore, not at the cost of my health.
Old 4th November 2011, 15:00   #817
BHPian

Damn....the last time I tried to quite was probably 7-8 years ago...I really have been thinking of quitting this habit for a while now, but everytime, I rig up some reason to keep it going.

I think I need to really decide on this soon...
Old 4th November 2011, 19:30   #818
BHPian

True, Its been 10 months since i quit smoking(been a smoker since 20 years) and i just quit on 31-12-2010 -no nicotine gum or patch's neither did i try to reduce the number of cigarettes. feels great now, only drawback is i have put on 7 kgs of weight
My advice to people who are trying to stop
1. You need a very strong incentive to stop (you should feel the need yourself and not because someone else is trying to force you to stop)
2. Never ever keep some cigarettes with you to test your will power because one night you may wake up and that urge for a cigarette may overcome your willpower to stop
3. Avoid activities which you usually associated with smoking ( i used to chain smoke when i used to have a couple of beers once a week so i stopped drinking)
4. when ever you feel the urge to smoke just start counting numbers and the urge to smoke will disappear in 20 to 25 seconds

check out the below links about patrick reynolds grandson of R.J.Reynolds founder of the largest tobacco company in the world
Patrick Reynolds (Anti-Tobacco Advocate) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-tobacco school assembly programs & speakers for anti-smoking college lectures

Quote:

I have started putting on a lot of weight again- not sure it's because of the quit (been a year and a half now with no lapses) or just because the ole metab aint what it used to be. Planning to start a full-fledged fitness programme/regimen. Wish me luck!
dockap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 15:32   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

I am on 1 cigg a day from over a week now and it seems to work just fine for me. No urges during the day but, a sudden urge after my dinner which is my favorite and relaxed meal

I bought my first packet of Nicorette about 3-4 days ago and took half a bite of one single gum (2mg) and when i chewed it, initially thought what's the whole hype all about. But, after 30 seconds or so, it took my breathe away and almost scared me with the "kick" and make my head spin and gave me all kind of weird feeling for about 20-30 seconds before everything setelled down.

After that first time, till now havent dared take another bite. But, if i will take a bite will take 1/4th of a single gum. It should be enough to control that urge

To summarize, I am trying with 1-Cigg a day regime, lets see till how long this will go on and will it eventually turn into a 0-cigg day.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:20   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

No offence, mobike008, but it won't.

It *may* well turn into a 10-cigg day, though.

You know what I tell all my friends who give that "I only smoke x cigs a day" story? What if you get ill from it anyway? All you'll think about then is, damn I should have at least smoked to my heart's content!

Quit. Now.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:21   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep. I have a friend who has been doing that since before I gave up. one, two, or three a day --- but she never manages to make it zero.

But don't let us discourage you. Cutting down, even, is also hard --- but cutting down to none is the hardest step.

(And, the less you smoke, the more you will enjoy it! One a day can be very dangerous).

Are patches available? You will not a kick from that.

(Sounds good... maybe I'll try it ....Noooooooo! )
Old 8th November 2011, 08:53   #822
Senior - BHPian

Well been around 40 days since i quit. except the one i mentioned before. I was able to influence my friend(who is a chain) to quit too. He and me now have gotten onto gum(normal ones). Progress has been good to date.

This thread motivates me more to keep up my habit now. Got to hit the gym now to get back the stamina!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 10:15   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the quit, maddy and good luck to you and your friend. I have managed to get one of my friends to quit as well and am his "quit-buddy"- have encouraged him to call/text me anytime he feels the urge getting too strong.

A milestone for me, completed 500 days smoke free a couple weeks ago.

My Stats:
Your Quit Date is: 6/14/2010

Time Smoke-Free: 512 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 14 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2562

Lifetime Saved: 19 days, 13 hours

Money Saved: INR 17,934

Eagerly awaiting this New Year's eve, which will mark the first calendar year tobacco free since 1995 for me. Gawrsh that puts things in perspective doesn't it!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 12:12   #824
Team-BHP Support

I last tried to quit smoking on 07Apr'08. There is a post somewhere on this thread to that effect. I successfully quit in the first week of Sep'09. Been a non-smoker since then. I just don't remember how I quit but it was after a terrible hangover that I threw my pack of cigarettes out of the window. Went down to look for them a few hours later but didn't find them and never did ever since.

Aditya, yes my appetite has gone up and I have put on about 14 kgs of weight since then. About the urge to smoke? It doesn't even kick in while I am drinking so its all good.

Note: I had been smoking since 1997 as an adventure in boarding school, style in college to addiction at work. It was a tough call to quit after 12 years of active smoking.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:24   #825
Senior - BHPian

Saw a documentary on Addiction made my HBO guys.
It is called , well "Addiction".
Though it was mostly on Alcohol and drugs but had some interesting insights.
The thing new to me was that they now consider relapse into old habit not as failure of the therapy but as a part of the Addiction process.

And that there are so called triggers which lead to relapse. Funny thing but making the person see the pic of the stuff like a cigarette for just 0.5 sec was enough to send the "go for it" section of brain into overdrive.

Recommended watch.

Although I am not into smoking but I too have my share battles.
"I could have been a contender" does evoke lot of heartache.

Most Viewed