Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 11:15   #1771
BHPian

Re: Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly are these McCain French Fries?

https://www.mccainindia.com/mccain-french-fries

Are they just cut potatoes? Or are the mashed potatoes shaped like cut potatoes? Have they been cooked once while mashing?
Made like this...

Wonder what the Nikon 28mm f/2.0 @3.10 is for.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:45   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Dear all
I always love the Set Dosa with numerous Pores on one side. We south Indians are famous for making dosa and we are no exception. But, we have not been able to get so much of numerous pores on Set dosa as we see in Darshinis and Hotels(In Bangalore and Mysore especially)
I have enquired many hotels on how to get these pores on the Dosa. Some say, add Poha, Some say, 8 hours soaking, etc but none of them have really helped me

Anyone in this forum has the secret of getting these pores ? Please give the entire menu. Would like to try it out

I am not sure if we have a dedicated thread for Recipes, hence, posting this here.

Mods - If we do not have separate threads for recipes, request to create a new thread (Better to have Veg and Non veg Separate threads).
Old 8th October 2018, 11:36   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Dear all
I always love the Set Dosa with numerous Pores on one side. We south Indians are famous for making dosa and we are no exception. But, we have not been able to get so much of numerous pores on Set dosa as we see in Darshinis and Hotels(In Bangalore and Mysore especially)
I think it is because of fermenting well. Yes, adding poha or previous day rice may help.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:02   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all

Anyone in this forum has the secret of getting these pores ? Please give the entire menu. Would like to try it out

You will get pores when the batter is runny, that is when it has a lot of water. The pores are formed as the water evaporates. You can adjust the size and number of pores by adjusting the water to dough ratio.

I hope these images will help

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-ksc_4872.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-ksc_4877.jpg

Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-ksc_4879.jpg
Old 8th October 2018, 13:10   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Thanks But, I am looking for the Pores as shown in the below image. This is exactly like Hotel Set Dosa, which I am not able to replicate at Home
(Image sourced from Internet)
Attached Thumbnails
Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs-setdosa.jpeg  

Old 8th October 2018, 13:23   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks But, I am looking for the Pores as shown in the below image.
That is caused when the fermentation of the batter is optimal. Your batter may not be fermenting -possible causes are the ratio of the ingredients, temperature, water content and maybe a million other factors.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:35   #1777
BHPian

@gkveda

I second what 'erthian' mentioned above.
Most probably the place where you grind and keep the dosa batter isn't warm enough for fermentation. I too face this problem in winters.

You could try leaving the batter for longer in a warmer place. Most probably, if you make enough batter, and store it for the next day, the 2nd set of dosa's will have the pores.

One more point that I could think of is, you have to keep the dosa tava on high flame when poring and spreading the batter. After spreading, reduce the flame.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:03   #1778
Senior - BHPian

For effective fermentation, try to keep the batter in a closed utensil inside a closed microwave overnight.

Also, when you soak the ingredients before grinding, do you soak and grind them separately or mix them all and then soak + grind?

Please also check:
Any 'secret' ingredients do you use other than udid dal and rice? Fenugreek (methi) seeds, murmura etc? Poha will give different results than murmura (the one used in bhel)
Rice to urad dal ratio. Boiled rice: Regular rice: urad dal (ratio 1:1:1) or different?
After the batter is fermented do you add maida, sugar and baking soda? Normally this step should bring you the pores you are looking for.

The best results I get is when I add butter on top of this set dosa.

Last edited by selfdrive : 8th October 2018 at 14:08.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:06   #1779
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
This doesn't seem to be the kind of dosa OP is asking about - set dosa.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:47   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks But, I am looking for the Pores as shown in the below image. This is exactly like Hotel Set Dosa, which I am not able to replicate at Home
(Image sourced from Internet)
This will happen when the batter is well fermented and a bit thick. Normally that happens when the batter is in the fridge for a couple of days after the batter is made.

We make the batter in 1:4 ratio of rice to dal and add half a tea spoon of methi. Just make sure that the rice is not ground extremely fine, it should feel a bit grainy. Interestingly, parboiled rice needs less soaking and grinding compared to normal rice.
Old 14th November 2018, 11:06   #1781
BANNED

There is a restaurant in Chembur called Cafe Udipi which has been serving the perfect Upma for decades. The Upma is made in Ghee & has the consistency of soft sheera. It just melts in your mouth. Never been able to make such an Upma in my home anytime.

Upma always turns out to be not so soft as in Cafe Udipi.

Can someone give recipe for a great Upma?
Old 14th November 2018, 12:18   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Can someone give recipe for a great Upma?
Let me give it a try.
Ingredients:
Thick rava (more granular one for Upma) 1 cup
Ghee - 4 to 5 spoons
Urad dal 1 spoon
Chana dal 1 spoon
mustard seeds (rai) 1 spoon
Cumin seeds (jira) 1 spoon
Curry leaves
Onions 1 big, chopped
Ginger (big piece, chopped)
Green chillies (as per taste)
Salt to taste
Water 3 cups

Preparation:
Roast rava in a little ghee in a pan on low flame. roast only till you get the aroma. if it turns brown, upma will not look good. not sure about taste. remove it from pan.
Heat ghee in empty pan. Add urad dal and chana dal and fry till light brown. Add rai and jira, let it splutter. Add curry leaves, onions and fry till translucent. Add ginger and green chillies and stir.
Add water and bring to boil.
When boiling, reduce flame and add roasted rava. Stir to avoid lumps, cover with lid and let cook.
When water disappears, open lid and add 1 spoon ghee before stirring again.

Some folks add tomatoes in the above recipe and also cashewnuts. If so, add tomatoes after adding onions. I dont like cashew nuts in upma, so no idea at what stage those are added. I think it would go before onions.
Some other versions:
- add a dash of sugar.
- user red chillies instead of green

While serving, you can add chopped coriander or grated coconut or even a dash of lime.
Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th November 2018 at 12:20.
Old 14th November 2018, 13:31   #1783
Senior - BHPian

The problem with Upma is that you need to be very good at stirring it without lumps. And that takes practice as well as arm strength. Adding ghee periodically during the cooking helps soften it.
Old 14th November 2018, 14:01   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Little trick to avoid lumpy upma without having superhuman stirring skills: add water last.

Add the roasted rawa/suji to the sauteed veggies/tadka first, give it a good mix and add boiling water last, enough to get the mixture to a loose paste consistency, then cook on low flame until it cooks and the consistency gets to prepared upma level (some tasting and additional water may be needed until you get a hang of proportions). Add one spoon of ghee to ensure the granules don't stick together, and the end result is fluffy.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th November 2018 at 14:08.
Old 14th November 2018, 18:06   #1785
BHPian

I have tried both methods - put the roasted suji in boiling water; put just boiled water in roasted/sauted suji - results have been similar and not quite the good restaurant consistency.

I suspect their water/suji ratio could be a little greater than 3. I have yet to try this.

Also, adding some roasted peanuts adds to the flavor (subjective, obviously).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks