Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 11:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which electric shaver/razor do you recommend?

Maybe a bit OT, but still sharing my experience. MODS please delete if you deem inappropriate.

I used to use a BRAUN Electric Shaver until recently, but have now switched to Gillette Fusion Power. The Electric Vibrator action in the latter, works very well in the difficult areas and I am loving the relative smoothness of this Razor as compared to my previous implement. I know this is not an electric razor, but is more of an hybrid. Frightfully expensive though!
Old 19th November 2013, 11:13   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Electric shavers are useful for the beard/chin area. I had used the dry shavers and they really made my skin rough. I now use the regular razor - Mach 3 for the beard
I have used various Philips models since late 1974. My son has never used a regular razor. I and he do not find our skin roughened. Also, in 1985 we went to (I think Kadamtala) Siliguri where the power was very erratic, so I took a razor. After three days my skin became so inflamed that I had to cease shaving (maybe once in three days). So it is horses for courses!
Old 12th December 2013, 06:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

No one uses DE safety razors here? This is my instrument of choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic.../dp/B002A8JO48

Takes me 15 - 20 minutes to shave every day but i get to shave with, across and against the grain, every day! No bumps or ingrown hairs so far. Plus, it gives me my "me" time. Put on some nice music, let the family sleep in the other corner of the house and give myself 3-4 passes to get a BBS shave.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:13   #64
BANNED

@amitoj; What is a blade unit doing in a electric shaver thread?!
Old 12th December 2013, 14:14   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
No one uses DE safety razors here? This is my instrument of choice:
http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classic.../dp/B002A8JO48

Takes me 15 - 20 minutes to shave every day but i get to shave with, across and against the grain, every day! No bumps or ingrown hairs so far. Plus, it gives me my "me" time. Put on some nice music, let the family sleep in the other corner of the house and give myself 3-4 passes to get a BBS shave.
Have recently moved to de razors myself! It's great so far! Nicks have come down considerably. What blades do you use? I can't seem to use the 7'0'clock blades more than once. Once = 4 passes.
Old 7th July 2014, 20:32   #66
BHPian

I've a Norelco G370 and the battery no longer holds charge like it used to. I opened up the unit and saw a single soldered NiCad AA battery.

Now, I want to replace this battery with a new NiCd battery, but unfortunately I can't seem to figure out the mAh rating of the existing battery. When I use my multi-meter, I get a rating of 1.5mAh. However, my reading on the web suggests that the maximum capacity of an Ni-Cd AA battery is around 1000mAh.

Am I using my multi-meter incorrectly? What gives?
Old 7th July 2014, 21:59   #67
BHPian

I dont think one can measure the mAh with a multimeter, only possible to measure the voltage. I would assume a battery with same size of original and at same voltage would be of similar mAh
Old 8th July 2014, 08:20   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
I dont think one can measure the mAh with a multimeter, only possible to measure the voltage. I would assume a battery with same size of original and at same voltage would be of similar mAh
or maybe even higher due to technology improvement. How about replacing with a NiMH, higher capacity. Li-ion is out due to double voltage (actually 3 as against 1.2).
Old 8th July 2014, 12:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
or maybe even higher due to technology improvement. How about replacing with a NiMH, higher capacity. Li-ion is out due to double voltage (actually 3 as against 1.2).
The problem is that this trimmer has a "dumb" charger and wouldn't know when to turn off the charging even if the battery is full. I read on the web that overcharging could possibly damage NiMh much more quickly than it would an NiCd. I read NiCd's can withstand a certain amount of abuse.

The charger outputs only 80mA at 1.2V so maybe I won't have much issues with NiMh? I have two NiMh GPRecyko lying around at 2000mAh each, v/s a possibly 800mAh on the trimmer right now.

I say possibly 800mAh because I read that the ideal way to charge an NiCd is to charge it with a current that's 10% of it's capacity for 16 hours. So, 80mA from the charger would put the battery capacity at 800mAh.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

I have got Panasonic hair trimmer and it came with some lubricating oil. While shifting from one country to another we lost this small oil bottle. Since then, I am not able to use it. I have another trimmer that I am using and Panasonic one was more handy and nice to use.

Any idea, where to get this trimmer lubricating oil? or what substitute oil I can use in place of supplied oil?
Old 9th July 2014, 10:58   #71
BANNED

@anujmishra; you can use sewing machine oil, except it smells.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:14   #72
Senior - BHPian

I started shaving with Gillette Sensor Excel and subsequently moved to three blade Mach 3/Turbo. Mach 3 shave was the best I had ever had, very sharp blades and next to no irritation so when the fusion was announced I was really happy. Bought the Fusion Power while I was in London but was sorely dissapointed. I felt that 5 blades were there for the heck of it, the razor gave me more skin burns than Mach 3 so came back to Mach 3 again. I still have the fusion power with 5 cartridges with me but I do not plan to use it.
Old 28th July 2014, 18:10   #73
BHPian

I bought a rechargeable Philips Norelco Powertouch Aquatec Wet & Dry Electric shaver from Amazon.com during my visit to US two years back.
Voltage: 100-240V and Frequency 50-60~.
Also bought spare cutters from them.
Satisfied with the results.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:16   #74
BANNED

I hear that almost the entire Philips (Norelco in the US) range is now available in India at a reasonable price, and also spare cutters can be bought.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:03   #75
BHPian

Flipkart is marketing similar featured Aquatec model-Philips AT890/16 Shaver For Men- at Rs 3175(after a 26% discount on Rs 4205). It is a corded/cordless unit.They have a wide range.
But, no idea where spare cutters are available here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks