Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 21:29   #3826
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

After going thru' variosu threads, I see that one of the most common MOD actions are joining 2 immediate quotes from the same member. Often members (especially newbies) take an infraction to start using the Multi-quote option.

Like the system has a feature that entails a member to wait for 10 seconds before posting consecutive search queries, could something be done to ensure a member cannot re-post consecutively on a thread up to say half an hour or so?

Happy to help
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 00:36   #3827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
...members (especially newbies) take an infraction to start using the Multi-quote option.
  1. I was under the assumption that the 'Team-BHP Rules - Please read before posting' had a mention on the 'back to back posts'. But, I was wrong!

Everyone spend a good amount of time reading the forum rules before submitting the registration form for approval. So, wouldn't mentioning that one should not make back to back posts within 30 mins, singnificantly reduce the number of back to back posts, atleast those made by 'Newbies'? What say?
  2. The editing time has been increased to 30 mins, few months back. But the 'Expected Posting Etiquette' still mentions that the post editing time is 20 mins. Please see the attached image.

Yes, please edit the post.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-fullscreen-capture-692011-122558-am.jpg
  3. I still wonder how the support team let the back to back posts go, without merging them while approving the posts of 'Newbies'! Anyone?
Old 9th June 2011, 22:15   #3828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
...the PM said "IronH4WK has just quoted your post from the thread titled "Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians"."
Ah! We should change that "from" to "in".
Quick note to say that ^ this has been done.

Will reply to other suggestions a bit later.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 14:50   #3829
MK3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
  1. I was under the assumption that the 'Team-BHP Rules - Please read before posting' had a mention on the 'back to back posts'. But, I was wrong!

Everyone spend a good amount of time reading the forum rules before submitting the registration form for approval. So, wouldn't mentioning that one should not make back to back posts within 30 mins, singnificantly reduce the number of back to back posts, atleast those made by 'Newbies'? What say?
  2. The editing time has been increased to 30 mins, few months back. But the 'Expected Posting Etiquette' still mentions that the post editing time is 20 mins. Please see the attached image.

Yes, please edit the post.

Attachment 557291
  3. I still wonder how the support team let the back to back posts go, without merging them while approving the posts of 'Newbies'! Anyone?

I recently made the mistake of back to back posts. In the thread 'Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time', i put my first post. Me, being a newbie, the post was awaiting approval, i refreshed the page and couldn't see my post, i assumed it was rejected or lost and re-posted the message with added information. After a while i found both my posts in the thread. Now, with this situation, i would like to suggest one more option, apart from recommending the above suggestion by "Klubb Class",

The suggestion is to give an option for owner of post to re-call his message, atleast through approval (so the user can give the reason to administrator and he can decide whether to allow the post to remain or be re-called)
Old 11th June 2011, 18:01   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
After going thru' variosu threads, I see that one of the most common MOD actions are joining 2 immediate quotes from the same member. Often members (especially newbies) take an infraction to start using the Multi-quote option.

Like the system has a feature that entails a member to wait for 10 seconds before posting consecutive search queries, could something be done to ensure a member cannot re-post consecutively on a thread up to say half an hour or so?

Happy to help
yes, that does make sense.

if (current post time - last post time) < 20mins then
msgbox "edit your post. don't post a new one"
else
post the msg
end if

Quote:
[list=1]
I still wonder how the support team let the back to back posts go, without merging them while approving the posts of 'Newbies'! Anyone?
in the defense of our MODs - moderating the forum is not their full time job. i believe they do the moderation in addition to their existing jobs and hence there might be instances where they might have slipped up (MOD != God). we as members can report such posts to help them take proper action. IMO

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th June 2011 at 18:04.
Old 12th June 2011, 00:15   #3831
Senior - BHPian

I was just quoted by a fellow bhpian but I didn’t receive the PM and I haven’t turned the feature off. What could be the reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-untitled.jpg  

Old 12th June 2011, 12:07   #3832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I was just quoted by a fellow bhpian but I didn’t receive the PM and I haven’t turned the feature off. What could be the reason?
Well, it does not look like a straightforward quote.

You look at the one you have circled, and the one below in which you've quoted ajman28. In the second one, there is the red arrow, which is a proper quote, whereas the one which ajman28 have quoted you looks like an edited item – more like pasting a text from your post.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have noticed the same happening with some of my posts earlier.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 15:31   #3833
Senior - BHPian

IronH4WK, I agree with all your views.

I found it strange to see back-to-back posts by newbies which weren't merged by the mods while approving. I guess, that explains why I posted that query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
We as members can report such posts to help them take proper action. IMO
That's what I do whenever I spot back-to-back posts or any post that violates the forum rules.

Let me add more reason : The back-to-back posts by a newbie might have been approved by two different mods!

Last edited by Klub Class : 12th June 2011 at 15:48.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:25   #3834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I found it strange to see back-to-back posts by newbies which weren't merged by the mods while approving. I guess, that explains why I posted that query.

That's what I do whenever I spot back-to-back posts or any post that violates the forum rules.

Let me add more reason : The back-to-back posts by a newbie might have been approved by two different mods!
This one is easy to explain. We can almost never make out back-to-back posts on the moderation queue interface. There, we see all to-be-approved posts from every section, every thread, every newbie in a single queue. The chances of two posts of the same member from the same thread showing up together on the mod queue is extremely rare.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 11:56   #3835
Senior - BHPian

How about adding a field under the user profile displayed along with each post, this field would show the vehicles the member owns/drives.

For e.g. at present when I read Samurai's post, I can see his username/screen handle, below that the title (Team-BHP Support), below that the fields Join Date, Location, Posts and Thanked. How about adding one more field "Drives" or "Rides" or maybe both? This will include the car(s) that the member drives or the bike(s) that he/she rides. This will provide a ready context to any posts the member makes.

For e.g. if my profile carried the information that I drive a Santro, when I post here seeking advice/help on some issue, I don't have to repeat which car I drive and others too don't have to ask the same from me.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:18   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
How about adding a field under the user profile displayed along with each post, this field would show the vehicles the member owns/drives.

For e.g. at present when I read Samurai's post, I can see his username/screen handle, below that the title (Team-BHP Support), below that the fields Join Date, Location, Posts and Thanked. How about adding one more field "Drives" or "Rides" or maybe both? This will include the car(s) that the member drives or the bike(s) that he/she rides. This will provide a ready context to any posts the member makes.

For e.g. if my profile carried the information that I drive a Santro, when I post here seeking advice/help on some issue, I don't have to repeat which car I drive and others too don't have to ask the same from me.
Wouldn't it make that part of the post too cluttered?
Some of them here have a whole fleet of rides , and putting them in every post in the user profile might not be feasible.
The signature can be used for this purpose I feel, like you see in mine.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:59   #3837
Senior - BHPian

How many members have more than two rides which they use frequently? We could have our daily vehicle plus a week-end/alternate vehicle in the profile data.

Old 13th June 2011, 14:35   #3838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
How many members have more than two rides which they use frequently? We could have our daily vehicle plus a week-end/alternate vehicle in the profile data.

May I ask, what purpose does it serve? figo-untied is right, it would just clutter the profile info space.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:45   #3839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

How many you think would stop at listing just those two rides?
I, for one, would list my whole charge-sheet!
Old 13th June 2011, 15:12   #3840
Senior - BHPian

One feature i would like to see it "Draft". Its available on the Assembly Line section when you are creating new thread but isn't when you want to continue adding to a thread but are still composing.

The problem that i face sometimes is when the reply is very long in nature and takes time composing, and the session times out in between and i loose all content that had been typed. The workaround i have today is type it on notepad, still cant do pictures and comments on pictures on notepad. Would be lovely if i could "Draft" and "Save" and not submit until i have finished drafting.

Most Viewed