Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 22:59   #4786
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
A suggestion. The photographs of the cars reviewed are detailed but distorted due to the wide angle and close ups used in the camera. One does not gt a view of the car as it appears on the road.
I understand what you are saying... but it is the norm in automobile photography. Wide angle helps you get close up view of the car, a feeling of standing next to it.

Check this shot from Rudra Sen who shoots cars professionally: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...tml#post371936

Also, the first photo you gave as an example for wide angle, isn't wide all. It was shot at 72mm.
Old 20th October 2012, 23:08   #4787
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I understand what you are saying... but it is the norm in automobile photography. Wide angle helps you get close up view of the car, a feeling of standing next to it.

Check this shot from Rudra Sen who shoots cars professionally: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...tml#post371936

Also, the first photo you gave as an example for wide angle, isn't wide all. It was shot at 72mm.
The original Duster and Rapid reviews are showing many photographs that are meant to show the car as a whole and not close ups. I am not referring to the close ups at all! I understand you need a close up to see a minor detail of the car but not when you take a picture of the whole car as is the case in many of these pictures. If one sees brochures put out by the car companies one will see a picture as the car actually appears in perspective or front on or at an angle but never distorted. After all one needs a close to reality picture of the car not the front end appearing too close, the edges rounding up and the end appearing smaller.

I rest my case however!
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:38   #4788
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Why is it not allowed to get your username changed by PMing the mods? I've gotten this done on many other forums. I really want to change my embarrassingly bad username to just my name but apparently it's not permitted on Team-Bhp.

Last edited by RandomUsername : 23rd October 2012 at 12:39.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:08   #4789
BHPian

The TBHP android app seems to crash on 4.1.1 while trying to :

01. Post a reply.
02. Upload a picture.
03. Move to the last page in a thread.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:03   #4790
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here is a link to the image: http://www.gophoto.it/view.php?i=htt...4-battery1.jpg

This is the Image in LBMs groundpounder thread. When I clicked on the picture, this was the link I was sent to.
Can you please report that post? We'll look into it right away. It might just be an externally hosted pic (which is against our rules).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On that topic, Next and Previous is the easiest way of navigating multiple pages, especially on busy forums.

Any chance of adding them to the page display/selector?
Here you go (marked in red):

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-previous-next.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry, but this seems to have fallen through the cracks. Please check if it is missed or planned for any specific release.
Already on the list. Will be introduced along with some other updates we have planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Do we have a dedicated thread which gives information about the upcoming official reviews?
If it's a mass-market car, be sure that we will review it. The ones in process / the pipeline are the Alto 800, Safari Storme & Rexton. There is not a single important car that we have missed reviewing in the last 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
For the official reviews of cars, mods , could we have some testing done around acceleration figures, brake performance ( stopping distances with/without ABS variants ) also shared in the reviews ?
This has been requested before. For now, we feel that our Official Reviews give a crystal clear picture of the car. Of course, performance stats are important and hopefully, we'll go out shopping for testing equipment soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Why is it not allowed to get your username changed by PMing the mods? I've gotten this done on many other forums. I really want to change my embarrassingly bad username to just my name but apparently it's not permitted on Team-Bhp.
Your username is the one you choose at the time of registration. The reason we don't permit a change of handle is confusion : Everyone knows SS-Traveller. But if he changes his handle to Highway-King, few will be aware that he's the same guy. Then, most will wonder why Highway-King is commenting as the owner on SS-Traveller's review thread!!!

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind changing my handle to RUSH either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
The TBHP android app seems to crash on 4.1.1 while trying to
Just to reconfirm : Have you already tried removing and reinstalling the App? Thanks.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 15:09   #4791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go (marked in red):
Oh Brilliant! Just what I wanted!
Old 25th October 2012, 17:04   #4792
BHPian

I have marked in red circles below. No option to click, sometimes even refresh does not work which results in closing the current tab of team-bhp and again open it in new tab. I have had this issue twice since last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-teambhp.jpg  

Old 25th October 2012, 18:07   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it's a mass-market car, be sure that we will review it. The ones in process / the pipeline are the Alto 800, Safari Storme & Rexton. There is not a single important car that we have missed reviewing in the last 3 years
Thanks a ton GTO!

Storme - that was what I had in mind when I put up the query
Old 25th October 2012, 22:59   #4794
BHPian

On your monthly sales figures and analysis, have you considered sharing the excel sheet with the numbers on by attaching it to your post. Other forum members have shown interest in doing their own addition (possibly historical) analysis. Will add another view point .

Last edited by kmadhok : 25th October 2012 at 23:00. Reason: typo
Old 26th October 2012, 00:17   #4795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your username is the one you choose at the time of registration. The reason we don't permit a change of handle is confusion : Everyone knows SS-Traveller. But if he changes his handle to Highway-King, few will be aware that he's the same guy. Then, most will wonder why Highway-King is commenting as the owner on SS-Traveller's review thread!!!

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind changing my handle to RUSH either.
It might cause a little bit of confusion, but i don't think it will be a big problem, as when someone gets their username changed the new username will appear on their previously made posts too. I'm sure most people won't care about getting their username changed so it really won't be an issue if the few people who want to are allowed to get it changed.

Last edited by RandomUsername : 26th October 2012 at 00:21.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:38   #4796
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have a query. Earlier, CTRL+B used to work in replies.This was MUCH easier.
Now when i tried it, I had to select text and click B. This put in tags.
Problem is, I then had to make some adjacent text bold as well, and the tags got bold too. This is with Chrome on 7.
Not completely sure what you mean here, but chances are you've switch to WYSIWYG mode.

Go here, scroll all the way down, and choose standard editor:
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20121026181712.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have a humble request. When we edit thread titles to include new updates:

"Times of India? Nope, VW of India. Pg26: Vibrating ad on 11 Sept 2012"
Excellent idea, will try to use wherever possible. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I make it a habit to visit that page atleast twice everyday to keep a tab on the new threads created, so that I don't miss out any action.

...they do not feature in the list of *New Topics* ... This includes a couple of Official Test Drive Reports too!
Not sure if this has already been replied to, but :

- "New Topics" shows all new topics that have been posted in the last 3 days (72 hours).
- They are however sorted according to when the latest post in them was.
- Its impossible that a Official Test Drive was missed due to this, as we ensure they are put out in brand new threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Why don't we design a Facebook Cover which all members can put up on their FB profiles. I, for one, really want to tell the world that I am proud to be a BHP-ian.
Cool idea! Let me see if i can cook up something.

Quote:
Check out this page
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...le-phones.html
May be you can contribute your designs there.
Noted. Will add to this thread when i get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
2. I dont want to be too demanding, but would it be possible to have a "Trending" kind of section in home
page. Just like news sites, where we list the topics many people have viewed for that day ...
We'll have something kinda like this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...although those repeated pictures do cause me frustration! Sometimes the software converts them to attachment links, sometimes it does not.
All pictures attached the correct way (to TBHP servers) will appear as Attachment 3454543 links in the quotes.

The ones that don't are either those in official reviews, or those that have been attached using external image hosting sites. (Or if you're viewing from the mobile app).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijo View Post
Is it possible to sort the thread according to the author(BHPian who posted) of the post In Initial ownership report and Longterm ownership report ?.
Not that smooth of a solution, but you can search the thread (Search this thread > Advanced Search) for all posts by a particular member. You can then open each post in a new tab.

cya
R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yeah. Here are the original resolutions for all the images -
Ahh.. Seems to be a bug with the Garage software.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2012 at 18:57.
Old 26th October 2012, 18:58   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"New Topics" shows all new topics that have been posted in the last 3 days (72 hours).
Are you sure even threads created using Assembly Line feature (Spending more than 72 hours in the AL) get covered by this?

For example I create a post (first opening post) today - 26th October 2012 using the assembly line feature.

Add one post each on 27th, 28th & 29th.

Take it live on 30th October.

Will it still feature in the New Topics section?

Quote:
Its impossible that a Official Test Drive was missed due to this, as we ensure they are put out in brand new threads
It would be practically impossible to list all interesting threads in the Hot threads section. Official Test drives and other very important threads do get covered in the "Hot threads" in the Home page. But the rest don't. That's precisely my query!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 26th October 2012 at 19:01.
Old 26th October 2012, 19:01   #4798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I have marked in red circles below. No option to click, sometimes even refresh does not work which results in closing the current tab of team-bhp and again open it in new tab. I have had this issue twice since last week.
Looks like your browser cache is corrupt. (No one else has reported this problem)

Clearing the cache should fix this. (Also make sure your on http and not httpS - in the address bar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
It might cause a little bit of confusion, but i don't think it will be a big problem.
Unfortunately it will become a big problem when everyone starts changing their handles. Hence the policy. (and by the way, i think your user ID is cool!)

Quote:
For example I create a post (first opening post) today - 26th October 2012.....Take it live on 30th October.

Will it still feature in the New Topics section?
Nope it wouldn't, as thats 4 days since the topic was created.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2012 at 19:03.
Old 26th October 2012, 20:58   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Unfortunately it will become a big problem when everyone starts changing their handles. Hence the policy. (and by the way, i think your user ID is cool!)
I don't think everyone will be wanting to change their id just because it's allowed. As i said, I've got mine changed on other forums by asking a moderator. I've never seen any confusion due to changed user-names on other forums that do allow it. Obviously you don't have to actually announce that user-name changes are allowed, or allow it do be done from the user control panel, but if somebody asks by sending a PM than it really wouldn't be a big deal if you do it for them.
Old 26th October 2012, 21:24   #4800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername

I don't think everyone will be wanting to change their id just because it's allowed. As i said, I've got mine changed on other forums by asking a moderator. I've never seen any confusion due to changed user-names on other forums that do allow it. Obviously you don't have to actually announce that user-name changes are allowed, or allow it do be done from the user control panel, but if somebody asks by sending a PM than it really wouldn't be a big deal if you do it for them.
I have quite a bit of association with names and the cars.
Eg architect has a palio, ss- traveller has a Scorpio.
Suddenly, I'd be left wondering.
Just saying.
And yeah, your username is pretty cool, buddy. Why the rush?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed