Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2009, 05:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

What are we crying about? Indians are the most shamelessly racist people on this planet. Notice how fairness creams in India are a multi-million dollar industry? Can you remember a mainstream Bollywood actor who was dark?

pedrolourenco, Italians can be as racist as anyone else. Maybe you should give up driving Fiats. After all, Fiat made vehicles that played a significant role in the Axis powers' plan to dominate the world, along racial and religious lines.

aerohit, so you bully foreigners randomly? No wonder when we go out, their compatriots return the favour. Ever heard of Gandhi?
Old 30th May 2009, 07:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
It's shocking to hear the racist attacks on Indians in Australia. The attitude of the Govt and the Police is pathetic. Reminds me of my college days in UK. Though I was lucky not to be assaulted, I faced verbal abuse and dicrimination at the Police station. Same time wasting tactics. Just like the Indian cricket team fought back against the Australians in the sledging and racial abuse incident, we must do the same. As a token way of protesting the treatment meted out to me in UK, I started boycotting all British and Australian products. Let us all join in this protest to show solidarity to our Indian brothers and sisters all over the world who are being vicitimised just because they are Indians.
Going by that logic, I'll have to soon boycott everything other than South American, Chinese and Central African products. My parents had a bad experience with the British police when they were visiting England in 1984 causing me to start hate Brits with a passion. But, soon I realised that things are no better anywhere else in the world, with various friends and relatives having bad experiences with various people of the world. You must have heard about what happened recently in France. I agree with v1p3r. Italians are as bad as anyone can get. At the same time, there have been some really nice people from different races that I've met and become friends with.
For your knowledge, the worst experience I've had is with none other than my fellow countrymen.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2009 at 08:01.
Old 30th May 2009, 08:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have lived in Melbourne and London and experianced some sort of racism,somewhere.Im really surprised and aghast about the incidents in Melbourne.
I think we treat foreigners in a better fashion than they treat us abraod.
Old 30th May 2009, 08:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oye currymunchers!!!!!

After the bunch of JAI HO posts there seems to be a lot of sense in this thread. Especially the "look within" comments.

Racism is not limited to colour now. It is north vs south, green vs blue, sambar vs butter chicken, rich vs poor, them vs us... the list goes on.

How many of us posting here will

1) Not make Sardar jokes
2) Not imitate Mallu accents (I can get out of this one)
3) Stop making comments about "Biharis"
4) Bangaloreans(hard to define these days) must stop commenting /complaining about "Northies"
5) The use of the word "madrasi" in the north?

My own aunt told my mum not to feel bad when I was born because Im much darker then the rest of the family!!

Also a few people getting beaten up makes the headlines in western media.

Here in India on a daily basis we have EDUCATED people committing atrocities on poorer / weaker sections of society based on thier region of origin. And Im not talking about tribal/village incidents.

Life is such, deal with it.

Last edited by s0uljah : 30th May 2009 at 08:55.
Old 30th May 2009, 09:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

And not to forget racism within family. I have a bunch of elder cousins who always greet other people they meet with either of the following statement.

"Wow... you have become really white, you are practically glowing, congratulations!"

or

"Oh my god! you have become so dark, aren't you taking care of yourselves?"

BTW, they bleach their skin regularly to remain milky white. When people within family can be so crass, how can we fault other people.
Old 30th May 2009, 09:04   #21
BHPian

I've lived in several countries including Australia(5 yrs in Sydney), Japan (2 yrs in Tokyo), Singapore ....

I'd like to share points from my experience.

** In the present case in Australia, I dont think there is anything racist. The Junkies who've mugged/ injured our desi boys would've mugged their own mothers if given a chance.

In my five yrs in Sydney, I've been mugged twice (no damages, first time I ran away & second time I paid $20 for ciggies ).

But the fact is native (caucasian) Aussies also get mugged all the time. Its all about being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

During my stay there I've always advocated not flashing gold / gadgets, while walking in the subarbs. Particularly to & from the bus stop/ railway station/ night spot.

Lets face it, our desi boys are known to wear lot of jewelry...literally a Sitting Duck for the junkies who are on the prowl. (Now, I dont know if that was the case here... )

My point is that Junkies/ Gangsters generally dont mind the colour of your skin, its just the booty. racism is very often limited to educated class.

** In Tokyo I was chased by a bunch of kids with knives, as I was going to my flat from the Station. Again I don't think that it was racist, it could've happened to anyone in my place on that isolated strech of the street.
Old 30th May 2009, 09:31   #22
BHPian

Yes, it happens every where including my Hsg Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
Junkies/ Gangsters generally dont mind the colour of your skin, its just the booty. racism is very often limited to educated class.
Absolutely! I was in Mel for a considerable amount of time in 2006 and 2007. My experience was very nice. The local people and police alike were very helpful and accommodative. Looking from my experience alone, I find it very difficult to relate these incidents to purely racism.

Indians "might" have been a easier target since the Chinese and Koreans usually move in groups and are knon to fight back big time

That said, I have had friends mugged and roughed up in almost all parts of the world. Including Mumbai in the last few months
Old 30th May 2009, 09:47   #23
BHPian

The one word we all need to imbibe into the way we look at life and people around us is TOLERANCE.However it's easier said than that, but we must do our bit in the hope that things will change a bit at least.
Old 30th May 2009, 10:56   #24
BHPian

We love American goras but we hate African Americans.
We see the Europeans as friends and the Nepali and Chinese as servants in our homes.
We love Punjabis and Sikhs but still act like imbeciles when the sardar jokes start.
Then there are the Biharis and the south Indians who are made fun of. Not to forget the term "ghati" for Maharathi people here in Mumbai.

We are an extremely racist country without realising it.

Quote:
I feel proud living in India after returning from US. Now, I can look up, and bully as many foreigners i want. It is my country, my land, I am the boss.
Good for you that you are proud of your country but that doesn't give you the right to do anything.
I am disgusted with that statement, with that attitude it is easy to see why foreigners would be treating you badly.

I am angry about that cop on TV who said it is not because of their incompetence and corrupt police but because Indians are an "easy target." They are no better than our very own Indian police who are infamous for being corrupt.

Guys realise one thing, these attacks might just be some punks who are playing gangster but the problem is the police stations fail to accept it when Indian students report it. If thats not racism of the highest order then I don't know what is.
Old 30th May 2009, 10:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

guys there are two sides to evrey story.
I have been in Melbourne for a while and came back and I have not faced any racism, Yes I have seen racism there and 90% of the time it is Indians who wwere being racist.

I have also seen racism towards Indians, but I would like to say that it is provoked a lot of time.
racism exists even in India, why is this not being addressed?
Old 30th May 2009, 11:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well the incidents of racial abuse in australia are largely due to the kind of people attacked.Immigrants who ve gone there just to full fill there "dallar dreams".I ve many friends in australia and after having talked to them was told that largely speaking they have hardly been subject of racial abuse.They have white friends and hang out with them just like they would do with a brown or a black ones.The people who are getting abused are largely the ones who go there and join the labour class(taxis, truckers etc) or courses like cookery , haridressing, pastry making , community service etc.The people who dont mingle with the whites and cant even spell there name in english but have an accent when they pronounce it.Punjab and Haryana is full of these people.They sell their land and go their to lead a better life apparently.The smae people who would not drive their own tractors in their fields and will have a migratant labour(bihar, UP) do that for them but are even willing to clean public toilets once they are abroad becasue they get paid in "dallars or ponds". And lets be practicle here. Its not our country.we are ousiders.so we are bound to be at the receiving end.So some racissism is expected.Its simple, the comfort you have in your home you dont have it on the street.same goes for your country and when you move to another country.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Well the incidents of racial abuse in australia are largely due to the kind of people attacked.Immigrants who ve gone there just to full fill there "dallar dreams".I ve many friends in australia and after having talked to them was told that largely speaking they have hardly been subject of racial abuse.They have white friends and hang out with them just like they would do with a brown or a black ones.The people who are getting abused are largely the ones who go there and join the labour class(taxis, truckers etc) or courses like cookery , haridressing, pastry making , community service etc.The people who dont mingle with the whites and cant even spell there name in english but have an accent when they pronounce it.Punjab and Haryana is full of these people.They sell their land and go their to lead a better life apparently.The smae people who would not drive their own tractors in their fields and will have a migratant labour(bihar, UP) do that for them but are even willing to clean public toilets once they are abroad becasue they get paid in "dallars or ponds". And lets be practicle here. Its not our country.we are ousiders.so we are bound to be at the receiving end.So some racissism is expected.Its simple, the comfort you have in your home you dont have it on the street.same goes for your country and when you move to another country.
No one gives anyone a right to phsically assault anyone, regardless of their stature. Talk is cheap but one is accountable for one's actions. The idiots who have committed these acts must be held accountable. Period. But, i must say that , as an immigrant to another land myself, Indians must try and assimilate into any society they move to, be it within India or outside and keep their own culture intact too in the process. It is possible. And, the many who have raised a valid point about racism and discrimination in India have hit a home run. We must first heal ourselves before we expect others to do the same.

IMO, we Indians are collectively the most rascist and bigoted people on the face of the earth. Having said that, i include myself too in my previous statement, but i do make a conscious effort to try and overcome our negative traits. We must. Only then will others do the same. What is the point in us claiming we are the next 'big' nation, when at the flick of an internet button one can read/see realtime photos of the unsanitary conditions of our cities, the filth in our slums, great disparities and injustices in our social system, abject poverty of the body and mind, Indians attacking and abusing other Indians, failed state apparatus and gross indifference of the educated middle classes. You may argue that i'm just being too harsh. Really?. Then , i ask those who are being harsh on the Australians the same question?. Don't condemn all Australians for the acts of a few, just as all Indians cannot be painted as such. These incidents should be dealt with in accordance with local law and people emigrating there should now know the pitfalls of doing so and try to protect themselves as much as possible. Hope the attacked recover soon.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:41   #28
BHPian

We Indians are the most racist people on planet earth. We discriminate each other on the basis of everything possible every single day and when something happens to the same people abroad, we cry foul. IMO they should just STFU.

I've lived in many countries during the last 8 years and many times I've felt ashamed being Indian because of sub-standard behavior of our own people abroad to Indians as well as natives. The problem are many times more with students than professionals.

Just an year back, in a public place in Germany, I was totally disgusted to see a large scale Reddy-Naidu (or some other crap) clan fight among some students from AP. Such elements are a total disgrace to the Indian community itself.

You reap what you saw...We need more such lessons to change...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 30th May 2009 at 11:56.
Old 30th May 2009, 12:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

nickatnite: The guilty should be punished but more then that we need to get our own priorities and prespectives right.

Last edited by bigron : 30th May 2009 at 12:44.
Old 30th May 2009, 13:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Going by that logic, I'll have to soon boycott everything other than South American, Chinese and Central African products.
Not exactly but the Brits and Australians go the extra mile in targetting Indians. You must have heard how the police are reluctant to help. I have experienced it in UK to. It was only when a Pakistani college mate of mine threatened legal action, did the register the complain. France and Germany are next in line when it comes to racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
** In the present case in Australia, I dont think there is anything racist. The Junkies who've mugged/ injured our desi boys would've mugged their own mothers if given a chance.
What about the petrol bomb. There was no robbery here. A clear case of racism. What is more shocking is the attitude of the govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Thanks, but I doubt you would go shopping for iron ore, coal and assorted minerals. Because those are the major exports. And Fosters isn't really popular here.
Thank God it isn't popular here. In any case I never drink it. When we used to watch F1 on a giant screen in one of the sports clubs, it was given free. Still I didn't drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
pedrolourenco, Italians can be as racist as anyone else. Maybe you should give up driving Fiats. After all, Fiat made vehicles that played a significant role in the Axis powers' plan to dominate the world, along racial and religious lines.
I have been working with Italians for many years now and there are racists there too. But not as bad as the Brits, Aussies, French & Germans. The worst comment I got from an Italian was "For an Indian, you earn too much". After I explained to him how much consumer durables and "CARS" cost he changed his views about India & Indians.

Finally I must say that it is shameful many of you use this as an opportunity to criticize Indians. Agree there are differences and problems. But does this mean we condone the Aussie Racists?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks