Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:25   #106
BHPian

I guess the point that Sam is trying to make is simple here. The actions that are being discussed are of individuals not governments. If the Australian government tomorrow passes or upholds some crude law promoting racism against India, that would be a time when we should be thinking about boycotting a country and its products.

I stand by Yeti's POV.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thanks to our glorious media (Who keep repeating a 3 second clipping for 3 hours or more), they have successfully instigated most of us. I suggest some of these people to switch of their news channels & try to put what has happened to some real perspective.
Totally agree regarding the news media. The media is very quick to judge an incident, no matter what.

These attacks, if they are truly racist in nature (sorry, i cant trust the one sided story being doled out by the media) then they are truly disgusting. If anything, these incidents should strengthen one's resolve to be a better person and to look beyond a person's caste, color, creed etc, instead of taking the retaliatory route.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:03   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a wonderfully written article in today's "Afternoon" newspaper from an eminent Indian journalist settled in Australia. I cannot seem to find the article online (can someone help?)

Or I will scan it and post it here later.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Some posts in this thread conveys
"We Indians have lot of issues in our own country, so stop talking about bad things happening to Indians in other country". (like you deserve it!!)
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:14   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
IT gaint? or outsourcing giant? Rememebr, its not because they love you, its because they want to cut costs. India remains poor because of unfair trade practicies abroad.
First:
India is leading the "educated" outsourcing sector because that's what we are. Educated. That and the fact that we are educated in English is the reason we rule the Engineering, medical and IT fields.
If it was cheap labour, I am happy to inform you that cheaper labour is available outside India. Look to your east. Labour-based sectors are flourishing in China (for example)

Quote:
No country likes to buy foreign products- Except Indians, Indians support foreign economies and keep buying foreign products
I wouldn't make sweeping statements like that. Everyone likes to buy foreign products, even in developed countries.
In India until a few years ago we were forced to buy foreign. Now most foreign companies manufacture in India and Indian products themselves are world-class.

By the way, they love "Made In India" products in Germany, where I shop often. Fabrics, spices, food, tea - all the things we are well known for. It makes me very proud to see "Indian Basmati Reis" on the same counter as "Italian Durum Pasta" in a German supermarket.

Export/import is a great way to reduce boundaries and share local produce, making it a smaller world. Don't drag it into the lack of culture of some illiterate human beings abroad.

There are bad apples in every basket.

Of course, this is all just purely my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
"We Indians have lot of issues in our own country, so stop talking about bad things happening to Indians in other country". (like you deserve it!!)
A point of view.

Just like Gandhiji's point of view "You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
Or Lev Tolstoy's (to steal Gautam's signature) : "Everyone thinks of changing the world but no one thinks of changing himself"

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd June 2009 at 12:26.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Well love to see how people love to point fingers instead of understanding the situation.
One sided stories and media misinterpretation leads to wildfire rumours and wrong actions taken by people which have serious consequences.
How many posting here has thought of that?

Sam, agree with you completely.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or rather as said, pick the log out of your own eye so that you may see clearly to point out the speck in another man's eye.

It is not saying that we should be apathetic about this, but we need to give their local authorities the time & space to sort out the problem, if any.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd June 2009 at 12:46.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:44   #113
BHPian

Coming to foreign products etc. (which I think is totally OT in this thread) but let me share an experience I had.

A person was advocating against foreign products being used in India and how we should stop using them and so on. A gentleman from the crowd got up and asked one simple question "Have you got your son/daughter vaccinated for Polio?" That person said "Yes". Then this gentleman asked a simple question "If yes, then you have used a foreign product. And let's say you realize this fact and do not use it for your next kid and God forbid, your kid gets polio, would you be able to forgive yourself?".

I am not sure about the fact that polio vaccination is sourced from outside India, but the point he made was clear and straightforward. We directly/indirectly are dependent on other countries for many things and so it is for every country. Then, why are we fighting? Does it really make sense to ban foreign products in India?

The car you drive, the shoes you wear, the processor (like Sam already mentioned it) has a foreign tag attached to it. Agreed that racism is a issue but what step are we taking to eradicate racism first from our own country? What is your contribution to that other than asking people to stop using foreign products?

Last edited by HellwratH : 2nd June 2009 at 12:46.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:48   #114
Senior - BHPian

I am totally lost in how using/boycotting foreign products has to do with the thread title!
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:59   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Or rather as said, pick the log out of your own eye so that you may see clearly to point out the speck in another man's eye.

It is not saying that we should be apathetic about this, but we need to give their local authorities the time & space to sort out the problem, if any.
There is one in Kannada
"Pointing to the fly on other's plate when you have a elephant in yours"

So, if someone in India would lose someone close in other country due to racism, would you point to the log, the speck, the elephant and Ghandhiji's saying?
Its that sympathy towards such people that makes you criticize racism (as also other 'isms).
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:08   #116
BHPian

iceman,

well, there is a quote in Sam's post about buying foreign products etc. And there are quite a few posts on this thread related to that. . My reply is to all of them, who think we can stop racism by boycotting foreign products.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is one in Kannada
"Pointing to the fly on other's plate when you have a elephant in yours"

So, if someone in India would lose someone close in other country due to racism, would you point to the log, the speck, the elephant and Ghandhiji's saying?
Its that sympathy towards such people that makes you criticize racism (as also other 'isms).
Srishiva, if you cannot understand what people are trying to say, do not try to throw accusations that they want to be no part of the grief that the families of the victims will go through. AFAIK, there has been no deaths so far, so let us not presume too much.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Some more racist incidents here:
Indian students relive horror stories in Australia - India - The Times of India

Clearly, Australian Police is turning a blind eye to these incidents, which is rampant in the past 2 - 3 years.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

It pains me a lot when I see that a fellow human being is tortured and for whatever reason it may be. But it pains me more when I see the so called responsible media acts very irresponsibly. I was watching an Indian news channel(Times now i think) yesterday and the anchor and another guest were making a mockery of news channel showing their pseudo jingoistic views about the issue. They very well know that it's very easy to manipulate a normal Indian person's emotion and they are playing with that. Both of these were utterly disgusting, first, the incident itself and second, the over-sensational news item by our irresponsible media. Probably if there is one thing or profession I hate most now is the hypocrite media/ journalism (sorry, if there is a honest journalist reading this but the numbers are few) that prevails all over.

Coming back to the topic, whatever happened to that student is very much condemnable and such things should never happen. The guilty must be brought under the law and punished. But in the mean time we also should take precaution not to get carried away with the media's blatant way of sensationalizing the news to give it a different hue. If few guys in one nation are racists then it doesn't make the whole nation racist. Rotten eggs are there in every nations and out duty is to remove those rotten eggs, not to through away the whole basket for that one or two bad eggs. Recently few foreigners were killed in India by some Indian criminals(and mind you, it's keeps on happening, alarmingly) but that doesn't make our whole nation as killers. We wouldn't like to be called as killers or rapist, will you? Yes, everyone wants that the guilty be punished, but that doesn't mean that we should be hell bent on punishing a whole nation for it.

BTW, in case you don't know, most of these nations takes the word "Racist or racism" very very seriously and would never like to be dubbed as one. For us it may sound simple and easy to call someone that but it's not easy for them to digest it. So please be little considerate to others while you derogate the whole nation as racists.
Regards,
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:48   #120
Senior - BHPian

When you are faced with racism , whats the solution ? - You hit back then and there itself until you bleed him or you bleed out or wait for right time come back with bigger men and hit them back ,so that they don't dare to do it again ? .Like deal a thorn with a thorn . This will trigger even a bigger problem ? .
Or keep quite and ignore them , so they repeat that again to you some time .

Last edited by black12rr : 2nd June 2009 at 13:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks