Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 23:57   #181
Senior - BHPian

OT: Those people are committing a crime. Mr Bean owns the intellectual property rights for this particular style of hair cut. Bloody copycats !!

Old 10th June 2009, 00:21   #182
BANNED

One guy i know kept a hot vessel on the carpeted floor and it got burned. The house owner asked him to pay for it and said he would not return the deposit when he was leaving the apartment.

This guy calls the company HR and asks him to compensate for the carpet and that the deposit should not be deducted from his pay.

When the HR guy contacted the house owner, the house owner replied he wouldnt have asked for a compensation and repaired it himself(long standing relation) if not for the fact that the tenant covered the affected area of the carpet with some furniture and the spot was noticed only after he left the house 2-3 months after it got burned.

HR department asked the guy to either pay up or send in his resignation papers. He resigned... can you believe it?? It would have costed him not more then 10-15k INR.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:31   #183
BHPian

YES this is what I was talking about , bro you are a life saver would have died of explaining sorry rather lack of explaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
OT: Those people are committing a crime. Mr Bean owns the intellectual property rights for this particular style of hair cut. Bloody copycats !!

YouTube - Mr Bean - Hair Cut - Presented to you by Mr Bean Fan Club
Old 10th June 2009, 00:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
True, Indian do tend to be wimpish in nature. Why don't those protesting join a local Krav Maga place and learn to defend themselves ? As for following customs...why bother ? The white anglo saxons who settled in what is now Australia hardly respected the Aborigines.
I am sure we know how to defend ourselves but by then its too late.

I have heard how xenophobic Australians are, never been there myself. So the jury is out on who was at fault here,

However I would say according to what I have seen, Indians who make up the bulk of the people who go to Australia, UK, Canada act like this. Its not a proper way to behave in a host country. And there is no effort to integrate yourself in the society. Locals are very intrigued and in awe by Indian customs but we just dont mix in and show them this bad side of ours. As far respecting their customs go, remember they didnt ask you to come over. You made a choice and are a guest in their country. Unless we plan on taking over like they did, no sense arguing about it. There is no excuse for bad manners period.

I dont mean to be rude I am just saying what I think of it.

Australia is still new to immigration and I beleive Canada, US and other places went thru the same hate process. However the world is a smaller place now. And these students, immigrants etc show be ambassadors of what our culture is about (leaving the cheapness aside ). Having said that we shouldnt be treated as weak like we have been. Lessons to be learnt from our Chinese friends.
Old 10th June 2009, 00:33   #185
BHPian

Quote:

YouTube - Mr Bean - Hair Cut - Presented to you by Mr Bean Fan Club
just as i expected it to be - the katori cut
Old 10th June 2009, 00:57   #186
Senior - BHPian

Forget Aussies, I feel like bashing these Indians myself when I see them behaving the way they do in public places. Shouting/talking very loudly laced with invectives in public places, pushing/jostling, leering/ogling at women indecently, not bothering to use words like sorry, please, thank you. An Indian may be a wimp but the minute he is in a group, he becomes Sher-e-Hindustan.

Talking in a native language before a foreigner is not indecent but care must be taken not to sound offensive. As I mentioned earlier, I witnessed an incident in train where a Bengali got offended by non-stop chatter between two Tamils seated opposite. The Tamils would burst out laughing every now and then and Bengali thought they were joking about him. If you must speak in your native tongue, you can keep your conversation brief, polite and laugh or smirk-free.

And lastly, as Passion4cars has mentioned, we see very disgusting type of Indians flying abroad these days. Thirty years back, only IITians or their type could be seen working/travelling abroad. Over the years, the quality has come down drastically with proliferation of ed institutes in the West. Now every chacha, lala, sala and rustic type seems to be working/studying/migrating to the West. The quality of some of these NRIs is pathetic. They have all the stone-age beliefs, superstitions and prejudices that even resident Indians these days do not have. Infact I think, resident Indians these days are much smarter, suave and gentle than some of these NRIs. With exodus like situation in recent years, you will find some of these NRIs very loutish, rogueish, uncouth. No wonder they are hated so much abroad. Forget Westerners, these guys should learn things from Resident Indians who have matured and advanced a lot in recent years.
Old 10th June 2009, 02:45   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
They fail to succeed in India and try to go for easy money. They forget that respect comes when one succeeds in their own country.
Dude, do you mean people like LN Mittal, Vinod Khosla, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit
They are first to celebrate Indians festivals, but they disregard local festivals like Thanksgiving or StPatricks. In US, they try to launch a petition to make diwali a national holiday. Should we also make Veterans Day as national holiday in India?
You may be right about Thanksgiving, but St Patrick's is a religious festival, so I don't see your logic here. If St Patrick's, which was originally celebrated by the immigrant Irish, is a national holiday, why not Diwali, celebrated by the immigrant Indians? Veteran's Day is a holiday that pays respect to the American armed forces, so again that logic doesn't apply. After all, we haven't asked them to make Republic Day an American national holiday.

It's a little tough to take you seriously when your signature is both offensive to certain communities, and spelled incorrectly. No offence, and nothing personal.
Old 10th June 2009, 02:56   #188
Senior - BHPian

In the last few das, more than before, these events have been in the news. I have glanced through the posts on this thread and have a few thoughts to share.
Firstly, it is clear that Indians & co, i.e. Bangladeshis, Pakistanis etc are being singled out and attacked. This is wrong. Period. Even if you bring food into your comuter class. And the attacks are getting more brazen and more frequent.
Till a few days ago Australian authorities were in denial, if anyone saw the Australian commissioner's interview and discussion session on NDTV on Sunday, 7th June, you would see that he was in denial. On the 9th finally the Australian Govt. made some statements, admitting a problem. But the TV achor was absolutly impotent, not asking the pointed questions as they do when they imterview BJP and affiliated organisations. There was no attempt or interest to put the Aussie into a spot, which was very much possible.
Again on the 9th, the Australian Commissioner was interviewed by BBC in the news and he said that the attacks were more in the poorer areas. Have not quoted adverbatim, but his statement was to that effect. That itself is no justification, and the Aussies could increase police activities in those areas which they consider poorer.
Then we saw our new foreign minister making a statement on TV. Oh, soooo weak, no wonder no one takes Indian politicians seriously. We have no strong personalities to take a tough stand. Appearance and a strong voice are very much required.
Then there is the usual syndrome, it has a name but I forgot, where we first we want to find our own fault for getting bashed up. Certainly there are reasons for which many themselves are responsible, but first one has to stop it and then look into the problem. Thereafter certainly look for corrective action. This should be handled like in a family: feuding among themselves, but when an outsider comes then present him with a united front.
So a good step seen was the unity among the students in protesting and hanging around in groups for safety in numbers. Retaliatory attacks are not the answer. I wonder if any of the Australian friends on this forum can say whether the Australian police have asked the students if they could indentify any culpits and nab them. Are these attacks being investigated at all? Seen nothing in the news over here about any arrests being madde. Just asking to know.
Yes, tourists also do get into difficulties in India, but it is more by way of an exception than a trend. Goa had a few isolated cases, but the locals were not the only ones to be blamed. If the Russians are worried, what about the number of Indian student who have been attacked over there?
There is a big problem of attitude as well. Many Australians are boorish, like at Simon & Co. On the other hand, our Desi's do have an attitude too, too loud, and a particular community is very guilty of this. But that does not justify these attacks. These attacks are against persons, civility does not permit and the Australian Government must come out strongly against this. The authorities do not appear to have done much so far, but Australian friends can tell us more.
Finally, Desi behaviour abroad is a problem, but that should be a separate thread where useful suggestions could be put up to help our Desi's. Many have gone there to study for the first time and somehow probably did not find the need to brush up on culture, behaviour and manners.
Once the attacks stop, we discuss Desi culture problems.
While the attacks persist, let us debate.
Old 10th June 2009, 03:49   #189
BHPian

Quote:
-Desi people assume that it is their birth right to settle in Australia. They forget that Visa is not a right, it is a privilege. Also they lie to the visa officer - that they are only going for studies, but end up looking for job = Proof of Bad Ethics/Dishonesty. They fail to succeed in India and try to go for easy money. They forget that respect comes when one succeeds in their own country.
I know when my father left India in the 50s for Dubai it was because of necessity to make ends meet. They just moved due to partition and things were very rough in India. Dubai in those days wasnt like you see it today, They had no electricity, no roads, no water on taps. And yes summers that were 55C plus without AC. Yes there was no easy money either, they had to work super hard. Then fortunes turned.

I left India because I couldnt deal with the corruption and red tape. I stayed for 15 years but yet. I know I work very hard for every penny and so do other people I know.

So to say people leave for easy money is a very limited view. Some leave for more money, some leave for other reasons. My two cents.

But the rest of your post has me in splits bud!
Old 10th June 2009, 07:32   #190
Senior - BHPian

I just wonder whether the media is escalating the situation by portraying Aistralians as so racist that the effect has been to create hatred about Indians in Australia in general - leading to more attacks etc.
Old 10th June 2009, 07:44   #191
Senior - BHPian

I don't see how I can argue with a person who does not drink Coke/Pepsi because its American. But Let me just clear out some of your ignorance for you..

Quote:
-Desi people assume that it is their birth right to settle in Australia. They forget that Visa is not a right, it is a privilege. Also they lie to the visa officer - that they are only going for studies, but end up looking for job = Proof of Bad Ethics/Dishonesty.
Only an unlettered idiot (To be polite, I won't quote examples here) would have to lie. Students are legally allowed 20 hours of work per week on their STUDENT VISA. On completing their studies, they are legally allowed to accumulate work experience in their area of study for a year to qualify for PR. And I am not even a student here, but I still know these facts.

Quote:
-Desi students bring basic items like soaps and toothpaste, and other electronic items from India to save money. This annoys customs people as it is bad for their economy. They will not buy from local stores as they always tend first to do the conversion-rate math.
I have personally seen many of my overseas colleagues buy books, contact lenses, prescription glasses, even cigarettes on their visit to India. As long as you are not smuggling bag loads of the stuff, my friend, that is called common sense (which some of us seem to have in short supply).

Last edited by spadival : 10th June 2009 at 07:46.
Old 10th June 2009, 07:53   #192
BHPian

what we do to foreign tourists in India? the moment our taxi/ric guys see a foreign tourists they are robbed, eve teased...shame on us....now we shout a lot against Aussies...I have been to Sydeny many times on business tours and i have never seen any racism comments against me..

But when i travel to Delhi, i was always referred as a southie...madrasi...etc etc...we are the BIGGEST RACISTS in this planet...North Indian hates south Indian, Maharastrian hates Biharis, Tamilians hates Kannadigas, every TV channel makes fun of Mallu accent...do we need more references....in simple terms, every indian loves to hate every one around for some or other reasons...be it laungaue, color, food etc etc etc..

We should leave Australian authorities to handle this case... my 2 cents..
Old 10th June 2009, 10:07   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivasap View Post
what we do to foreign tourists in India? the moment our taxi/ric guys see a foreign tourists they are robbed, eve teased...shame on us....now we shout a lot against Aussies...I have been to Sydeny many times on business tours and i have never seen any racism comments against me..

But when i travel to Delhi, i was always referred as a southie...madrasi...etc etc...we are the BIGGEST RACISTS in this planet...North Indian hates south Indian, Maharastrian hates Biharis, Tamilians hates Kannadigas, every TV channel makes fun of Mallu accent...do we need more references....in simple terms, every indian loves to hate every one around for some or other reasons...be it laungaue, color, food etc etc etc..

We should leave Australian authorities to handle this case... my 2 cents..
This is more like regionalism or casteism. In today's TOI there was an article in the opinion section about how caste is worse than racism..
Old 10th June 2009, 13:05   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Firstly, it is clear that Indians & co, i.e. Bangladeshis, Pakistanis etc are being singled out and attacked. This is wrong. Period. Even if you bring food into your comuter class. And the attacks are getting more brazen and more frequent.
Yes, it's wrong, no doubt. But it's also wrong to paint every attack on an Indian as a racist attack.

Quote:
Till a few days ago Australian authorities were in denial, if anyone saw the Australian commissioner's interview and discussion session on NDTV on Sunday, 7th June, you would see that he was in denial. .... That itself is no justification, and the Aussies could increase police activities in those areas which they consider poorer.
Obviously they will, why would they accept themselves to be racists. Even if there are one-off incidents which borders racism, why would the whole nation be termed as racists? Our media is to be blamed if there is increase in such attacks in down under. You are trying every other way to paint that nation as racists and then expect them sit quite and except that? Everyone have limit to their patience and once it wear out thin you can expect a backlash too.

Quote:
Then we saw our new foreign minister making a statement on TV. Oh, soooo weak, no wonder no one takes Indian politicians seriously. We have no strong personalities to take a tough stand. Appearance and a strong voice are very much required.
Do you expect us to declare a war or something against Australia? Come on, we have better ties with Australia then with some other neighboring countries and the diplomatic conversations/statements will ofcourse be different.

Quote:
So a good step seen was the unity among the students in protesting and hanging around in groups for safety in numbers. Retaliatory attacks are not the answer. I wonder if any of the Australian friends on this forum can say whether the Australian police have asked the students if they could indentify any culpits and nab them. Are these attacks being investigated at all? Seen nothing in the news over here about any arrests being madde. Just asking to know.
I hope they are investigating the incidents as any respectful nation would do and hope there will be some good outcome out of it. The guilty must be punished and no one have a second opinion about it.

Quote:
Yes, tourists also do get into difficulties in India, but it is more by way of an exception than a trend. Goa had a few isolated cases, but the locals were not the only ones to be blamed. If the Russians are worried, what about the number of Indian student who have been attacked over there?
As Goa cases are isolated cases then why not attacks in Australia are also isolated cases?

Quote:
There is a big problem of attitude as well. Many Australians are boorish, like at Simon & Co. On the other hand, our Desi's do have an attitude too, too loud, and a particular community is very guilty of this. But that does not justify these attacks. These attacks are against persons, civility does not permit and the Australian Government must come out strongly against this. The authorities do not appear to have done much so far, but Australian friends can tell us more.
How many Australians have you ever actually met and interacted with? From your post it's evident that you are making your comments based on what you've seen on cricket ground by some cricketers. Please, that's not at all a correct way to judge a nation and I would request you to refrain from it.

Quote:
Finally, Desi behaviour abroad is a problem, but that should be a separate thread where useful suggestions could be put up to help our Desi's. Many have gone there to study for the first time and somehow probably did not find the need to brush up on culture, behaviour and manners.
Once the attacks stop, we discuss Desi culture problems.
May be, but to many it seems like the attacks are because of this attitude or may be the attitude have something to do with the attacks. But anyway, I would reserve my comments here.

Quote:
While the attacks persist, let us debate.
Yes, we are

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I just wonder whether the media is escalating the situation by portraying Aistralians as so racist that the effect has been to create hatred about Indians in Australia in general - leading to more attacks etc.
Exactly are my thoughts and our media is very much to blame for if things deteriorate to rock bottom. Media is becoming too judgemental these days and they really need to be censored to a certain extent.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:43   #195
D-Man

Quote:
I don't see how I can argue with a person who does not drink Coke/Pepsi because its American. But Let me just clear out some of your ignorance for you..

Only an unlettered idiot (To be polite, I won't quote examples here) would have to lie. Students are legally allowed 20 hours of work per week on their STUDENT VISA. On completing their studies, they are legally allowed to accumulate work experience in their area of study for a year to qualify for PR. And I am not even a student here, but I still know these facts.

I have personally seen many of my overseas colleagues buy books, contact lenses, prescription glasses, even cigarettes on their visit to India. As long as you are not smuggling bag loads of the stuff, my friend, that is called common sense (which some of us seem to have in short supply).
@Spadival: to best of my understanding what Aerohit meant was why 90% students lie they are going abroad for studies but end up settling there. It is Bad ethics? hope it makes sense. WHICH IS TRUE !! How many people have turned back? I have! including a few bhpian's. Not boasting but I went to australia for studies once done i went to US for my Management degree and now india. No my dad doesnt own a business nor he is stinking rich. Also while studying i worked in these countries so you are right. It is good to work while studying and support your self with some cash along with International exposure which later can be used in India.

@Aerohit: About basic amenities like tooth paste, brush and all is ok. Every one carries it. As a tourist even Gora's do that. I travel a lot and many a times with the Gora's. They try to save money too by buying basic things. There are many who buy cigarettes from India as many local brands are not sold in remote areas of Australia US UK. Customs officers usually get aggravated when they find non branded masala and those types of things with passengers.

About Conversion Math; everyone does that. By the way do you travel often? Because normal tourists or people who move desi/non desi do that math. Even when Europeans visit US they do euro to usd conversions. Like wise when ever a person travels they do conversions initially until the mind set is made.
I consider few of the points you mentioned irrelevant (no offense)

Just because one person started talking bad about DESI's doesn't mean we just say anything that comes to our mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks