Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 15:15   #151
BHPian

Old Saying Comes to my Mind

In Rome, Be a Roman !
Old 9th June 2009, 15:28   #152
D-Man

@passion4cars: Today i had a chat with a fellow bhpian who is still in Australia and He concluded something similar to what you did. I agreed to it as well as i have seen it when i was in aussie 6 years ago. I do know it can only get worse in these 6 years since more and more students are applying.

The same is the case in USA. See I think many people have blown this up as an act of racism just because it was a non indian against an indian. What about Pujus vs gujjus. its everywhere. More so outside as many student still think spitting is only illegal in Singapore.

Acts like these havent gone so bad in USA yet. But when a Desi tries to mix with Gora a lot he gets banned by saying "he is a show off or he is now australian mate or woh to aab gora ban gaya"

Think about it like this; you have a house on rent and your tenant comes and spoils life for you wont you retaliate?

Passion4cars i totally stand by your words too and 100% agree. I have seen these myself in certain suburbs of sydney.

Old 9th June 2009, 15:40   #153
BHPian

Sorry havent been looking at this thread recently.

With regards to the Police using violence at the Flinders St Station (Melbourne) , its mainly because most of us who had gathered in the morning had peacefully left after protesting. The meet was 'hijacked' by other groups asking for other things. Unfortunately a few of our desis got caught in the midst. The fact that there was some other attack in the evening didnt help either. The cops were patient and accomodating while I attended - and thats for almost 4-5 hours. We had already made our point and the organisers had requested to break up after that.

As the matter now stands, every small robbery against a desi is being treated as racism. Obviously its not. When an Indian is attacked without regards for his property and beaten up - thats racism. But when a knife / gun weilding stranger asks you for your goods - thats not.

As of yesterday, one white has been stabbed by two indians , another whites car has been burnt , another three whites / middle eastern people were thrashed. I dont wish to argue if any of these incidents were justified but lets say this is exactly what I was afraid of. If the police dont arrest the offenders soon , its going to lead to rioting. Even worse, Indians may begin carrying weapons. Already in the worst affected suburbs, crowds of Indian students form each night to 'protect' one another. A bit of provocation is all that is needed to set them afire.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:18   #154
D-Man

Takumi: I wonder what shall or is happening to new admissions in Uni's. How is the tourist scene in cbd/ yarra?

Old 9th June 2009, 16:52   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
sujay the situation is very similar in india.
Poor people want to create fights with people doing better than them in their respected fields.
many people resort to various measures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
To put it crudely, poor people always fight with each other over things like ethnicity, skin colour, caste (in India), accent etc. while rich (and opportunistic) people take advantage of these same poor people to make themselves prosperous. You have to choose on which side you want to be

That is gross generalization. I have seen these same "poor" people caring and sharing much more for each other than "rich" people staying in plush bungalows. Opportunism exists in every strata of society.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:58   #156
BHPian

Student admissions are dropping except for those who are definitely sure. Those sub-standard places which call themselves 'universities' and whom I blame for creating this mess in the first place (PR factories as another gentleman called them , and I concur) are now slashing fees so as to not loose admissions. Its like treating the new students as human cattle - cash cows to be precise.

Most people (whites) feel its the general law and order situation which has gotten out of hand and needs to be reined in. I think I agree here as well.

As for the tourist situation, its so bloody cold (hailing here as I write this and this friday its going to go down till 4 degrees) - that I dont think any sensible person would be strolling along the Yarra / Southbank ; crime or not.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:21   #157
BHPian

Different Examples Of Different People Not Same People

I could go on and on and on of the DESI drama's but then in the end , this is an car site & not a complaint site for RACISM and believe certain drama's will have you rolling with laughter on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Now when he does, you say he is running after a GORA girl.

And then this is what happens finally.

Last edited by passion4cars : 9th June 2009 at 17:26.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:36   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
Different Examples Of Different People Not Same People

I could go on and on and on of the DESI drama's but then in the end , this is an car site & not a complaint site for RACISM and believe certain drama's will have you rolling with laughter on the floor
please do enlighten (ahem entertain) us, this site maybe automobile but this thread is meant to discuss racism in aussie - on a side note surprisingly holding hands is fairly common in bangalore (wasn't the case in pune) too - coming out of the closet on a mass scale

Last edited by jassi : 9th June 2009 at 18:37.
Old 9th June 2009, 18:37   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
As for the tourist situation, its so bloody cold (hailing here as I write this and this friday its going to go down till 4 degrees) -
off topic, we would LOVE to have that kind of weather in our winters here.

@RX135, Sujay never said rich care and share with each other. it's all a part of opportunism. Just that the discrimination is much more visibly prominent in the lower strata of the society.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:46   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
DESI as a SCAPEGOAT ?
-Desi people assume that it is their birth right to settle in Australia. They forget that Visa is not a right, it is a privilege. Also they lie to the visa officer - that they are only going for studies, but end up looking for job = Proof of Bad Ethics/Dishonesty. They fail to succeed in India and try to go for easy money. They forget that respect comes when one succeeds in their own country.

-Desi students bring basic items like soaps and toothpaste, and other electronic items from India to save money. This annoys customs people as it is bad for their economy. They will not buy from local stores as they always tend first to do the conversion-rate math.

-They are first to celebrate Indians festivals, but they disregard local festivals like Thanksgiving or StPatricks. In US, they try to launch a petition to make diwali a national holiday. Should we also make Veterans Day as national holiday in India? When they visit India, people ask what they learned abroad - they reply, nice roads and tall buildings - nothing about the culture.

-I once came across indian girl at a pub who was hanging out with GORA friends (in NY pub, nothing wrong with at btw), I heard her Indian name from distance and her Indian accent, when i was eventually introduced to her, asked her where she is from, she said she is from NY and not related to India. Such shame they have against India that she forgot her dark skin, her physique, her accent are all Indian, and this can never be hidden, no matter who you hang out with.

If you have an indian accent, be proud of it and if someone complains, tell them to "get used to it". American accent or Australian accent is just as ugly - the only problem is Indians are ashamed of themselves. (You can learn something from Japanese or French - proud of their horrible english/accent) The more you bow down infront of a foreigner, the more you are going to get stopmed.

-Desis never give tip to pizza boy, Hence pizza boys always spit on the pizza before delivering to Desis.

-Indian students always bring eatable items in college class rooms and computer labs - which is not allowed. It leaves horrible smell in the room. People tend to avoid sitting close to Indians.

-They are very active when it comes to being members of India-based internet forums while living abroad. But they are hardly recognized on foreign forums - shows either they are not really welcome or their lack of contribution to foreign community.

If there are ~100,000 indian students in aus, that means 100,000 australian born citizens may go jobless. Obviously it is a concern for them and hence the racism. If aussies started stealing Indian jobs in india, wouldnt Indians start setting things on fire in India? Yes.

*2+2 is same everwhere, Aus or India. So are the advanced MBA/Engineering books - that are accessible globally, so you are not really learning anything great by going over there and paying expensive tution and filling their pockets. Students who went to cheap Indian university are equally good in Math/Science. What you may learn over there, i have to agree, is some civic sense.

Last edited by aerohit : 9th June 2009 at 19:58.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:48   #161
Senior - BHPian

OT: The other day, I found an empty pan masala sachet lying on the street in Paramatta. I looked around to spot any tell tale red splotches that usually marks the territory of the consumer of the afore-mentioned product. Thankfully, those custom paint jobs haven't reached Aussie shores yet.

Last edited by spadival : 9th June 2009 at 19:49.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:22   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Say NO to Moustache, Say YES to Hygine
Ahh.. the subtlety of a hammer there. LOL.. Thats a nice way of antagonizing half of the Indian population, especially the Sikhs with religious beliefs behind their moustaces. I wish to be around when you say that to a hefty ex-army Sardar, on his face (a pun there?). After that, I would think Hygine would be the last thing on your mind, i.e. if you were still alive!!

Edit: An Aussie has even insured his mousy for 200k Remember Merv Hughes?. But enough of this mousy business. Its getting a bit tiresome and boring.

Last edited by spadival : 9th June 2009 at 20:35.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:26   #163
BHPian

Quote:

-Desis never give tip to pizza boy, Hence pizza boys always spit on the pizza before delivering to Desis.
they deserve the spit - but whenever i stay abroad, I ensure I pay 10-15% tip to the room service, however now I am starting to feel that the delivery boy or room service may feel I am indian and hence they may have already spit in the food before i tip damn you non-tippers! for heaven's sake (no our sake!!)please tip or even the tipping indians will get spit in their food !
Old 9th June 2009, 20:42   #164
BHPian

After living in UK for 10 years, I decided that it was time to head back home. Things are not what they were in other countries now.

People in US/UK/AUS etc blame the migrants for unemployment, crime, high cost of living ( more people adds to more claimants of benefits adds to higher taxes ) . But the truth they dont realise, is we contribute a lot to their economy in form of taxes . Its not our fault, if we are more hard working and more successful !

Also, whether we are born in another country or lived there for a very long time, we will always be treated as 'different'.

Life was always fine in UK with small incidents like, you dont get served first in Pub's some times, your concern is not given a similar priority ( be it the govt agencies or police ) , you always attract strange glances in trains, airports.

They cant tell the difference between pakistani, indian, bangladeshi, iraqi's etc..They call every as a F***** P***. I have been called this so many times !

Anyways, I am glad to be back in India and I am not treated as a second class citizen any more !

I suppose, we would not like if some of our bigger cities had massive suburbs of only africans and we see them every where , taking up our jobs etc. Nothing against them, just an example. Trust me, in UK / US and Aus, there are places where you find only asian men, not a white man in sight ! lol

Even in India, we have seen the 'tiff' between north indians, Maharashtrians, Biharis, Southies etc...I suppose its human ...
Old 9th June 2009, 20:49   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no problem with Moush either.
I just remembered an old post.

I guess you really do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks