Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:08   #136
BHPian

Now Russians complain of racism in Goa - Tourists in Goa suffer like Indians in Aus: Russian diplomat - National News – News – MSN India - News
Old 4th June 2009, 13:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
I wonder what Mr Pedro has to say to that. Are all Goans racist?
Old 4th June 2009, 13:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Last year (2008), there were more than 1400 cases of attacks & assault on Indian people (mainly students, taxi drivers) in Australia.

Now, please don't tell me these are all isolated cases & are not racists etc.
Facts don't lie!
Old 4th June 2009, 13:32   #139
Team-BHP Support

Almost all the crimes in India is against Indians.

Quote:
Now, please don't tell me these are all isolated cases & are not racists etc.
Facts don't lie!
Crime happens when the criminal can get away with it.
So they choose the most vulnerable section to prey upon.

Currently Indians in Australia are vulnerable. So they are in a very sorry position.
But when I think about it, their situation is much better than the Indians in SA when Mahatma went to practise there.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:04   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post

** In the present case in Australia, I dont think there is anything racist. The Junkies who've mugged/ injured our desi boys would've mugged their own mothers if given a chance.

But the fact is native (caucasian) Aussies also get mugged all the time. Its all about being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Lets face it, our desi boys are known to wear lot of jewelry...literally a Sitting Duck for the junkies who are on the prowl. (Now, I dont know if that was the case here... )

My point is that Junkies/ Gangsters generally dont mind the colour of your skin, its just the booty. racism is very often limited to educated class.
Good point ..I think is true to a large extent.. You could add laptops to the list of prowling junkies.
BUT - Having lived in Australia for a bit myself there ARE racist undercurrents which one feels . Have felt it with Aussie clients the most . British a bit less and none at all with Americans and Japanese. In Japan there is more of a sort of xenophobic culture as a whole (as we are GAIJIN technically ) .

Last edited by sk456 : 4th June 2009 at 14:19.
Old 7th June 2009, 00:08   #141
Senior - BHPian

As has been pointed out by vivekiny2k, selective tenancy based on religion/caste practiced by Branhmins is an open form of racism. Wonder what Teambhpians have to say about this. They should be dragged to court over this. Wonder how they openly advertise discriminating against non-Brahmins and get away with it. No public litigation seems to have been filed in any court of law in country over this issue. And we screamed about apartheid in South Africa.
Old 7th June 2009, 00:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

Australia is no worse than UK or USA but the media appear to have latched on to any crime and projected it as racism. Most of the incidents are thefts gone wrong where the criminals end up beating the victim.

I remember when I was in USA in 2000 and youths in the malls would go out their way to try and incite trouble with me because I wore a turban, they would call me taliban and make allahuakbar chants. Put me off going back to USA again on holiday.
Old 7th June 2009, 01:58   #143
Senior - BHPian

I gave an interview for a magazine ( Youth ) regarding the same.

I was planning to study in Aus but a cousin's experience made me change my decision.
Old 7th June 2009, 02:47   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I remember when I was in USA in 2000 and youths in the malls would go out their way to try and incite trouble with me because I wore a turban, they would call me taliban and make allahuakbar chants. Put me off going back to USA again on holiday.
that was before WTC?
Old 7th June 2009, 10:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
that was before WTC?
Yes that was before WTC so would certainly not go back now.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:17   #146
BHPian

Having lived in North America for the better part of the decade now, I think I should give a little reality check here.

I've seen not a lot of people have touched on it so far in this thread, but there's one thing which drives everything in this world, and that is MONEY.
Wherever you live, and whether or not you're an immigrant, money always plays a key role.

The waiter in India providing a better service to the American tourist, the waitress in New York doing the same for an Indian tourist, everyone attending Vijay Mallya's lavish parties at the F1 venues; the list goes on.

Being a professional myself, I've never seen or heard of any kind of racism in the workplace myself, it's simply too expensive and uneconomical for a company to let someone good go because of factors like ethnicity, skin colour etc. And that's what makes these countries/companies prosperous.

I've been to some of the most socially conservative parts of the US (Mid-west) and Canada (Alberta), and have never experienced racism of any kind so far. Having said that, there are neighbourhoods in "socially liberal" parts of North America, where racism exists, and you can almost always compare it to the economic condition of that region.

To put it crudely, poor people always fight with each other over things like ethnicity, skin colour, caste (in India), accent etc. while rich (and opportunistic) people take advantage of these same poor people to make themselves prosperous. You have to choose on which side you want to be.

I have a fellow co-worker who is from Latin America and is quite senior to me and also makes more money than me, but almost every day he complains to me how he thinks that the people in our company and community are treating him "differently" because he is a Latino, and that he wishes to return back to his home country as soon as he can. Funny I've never felt any of the things he has, and I'm also part of a minority here.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:22   #147
Senior - BHPian

sujay the situation is very similar in india.
Poor people want to create fights with people doing better than them in their respected fields.
many people resort to various measures.
what i think has to be done here in India(not Australia im bothered about my country first) is proper education.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:49   #148
BHPian

Hi,

Hmmm i dont know how to begin this without getting into a controversy or breaking the heart of my fellow Indian brothers , do excuse me but I will give you certain facts which I saw in Australia while studying for my Masters & I refer DESI word for students from India + Bangaldesh + Pakistan , as here we are called as DESI amongst oursleves and not a country word. The following is based on what I felt and what other students felt too -

- DESI students always talk in mother langauge even in front of GORA people , while even doing group assignments not to mention DESI students are always late for group meetings ( for eg. group meeting starts at 11am , DESI will reach by 12pm , on the other hand GORA will always reach by 1045am , if GORA is running late or wont be able to make it , he will sms atleast 2 hrs before to everyone in group , whereas DESI students lack this manners )

- In Australia - you cant have loud music house parties after 11pm - whereas a DESI will always party till about 2am and many number of times POLICE has been called by neighbours - DESI students say that we are giving rent and not staying for free . not to forget loud talks while in a drunken state and the drama which follows afterwards.

- Every DESI will always run after a GORI girl and will go to the extend of harrasing her . ( I wont go in further details on this one - just I would say this much - You can approach a girl once , if she refuses you and you approach her again , she has all rights to call police and you can be charged , irrespective of being from any country.)

- DESI will always tell lies to GORA people about the background they have in India ( I have known certain DESI's who to impress GORA have said that they have many sports car and have a mansion in india ,and they have lines of Merc , BMW and all expensive cars, people belive me it was all goli )

- DESI will always try to mix in the DESI group never try to mix or try to know the culture of Australia

- DESI people will always have a dirty house - piles of unwashed dishes in kitchen , toilets are in mess , dirty clothes will be thrown around everywhere and house with stink of desi oily food with drops of vaporized dirty oil dropping from ceilings )

- GORA people dont give houses easily to DESI because of keeping houses in mess ( i have known of DESIs who have broken the lock of the door , broken a bath tub , broken the SPA doors , in garden elephant grasses are growing ,played holi inside rooms and left the colours on the walls , not bothered to clean them even and basically the list is endless.)

- DESI students are known to be GAY ( as they will walk with hands in hands or with arms over shoulders in malls , which is not a culture in Australia )

- I read a few days back , that a certain bollywood star , has refused to accept certain award from Australia , without even understanding or going through the facts. With due respects to him - the manner in which he acted was not expected from him or a legend of his type. He should have acted in a more matured manner. I think by not accepting award from Australia he is already strainning relationship with the 2 countries.

the above are few examples , which I have given, which are 100% TRUE and happened in front of me and I stand by it at any given point of time . Anybody reading above will understand what all DESI students do here . To cover up the acts , they bring out the scapegoat as RACISIM .

* during my stay in Australia , I never faced any racial comments or any bad behaviour by an australian or person from any other country . Indeed when I told them that I am from India , certain Australians commented that I would be an IT guru and would always say that India will be a country to watch out for IT .

Whatever I have written above is an eye opener for people sitting in India . I once again would say - I am not trying to get into a controversy or hurting anybodys feelings . I hope by reffering GORA term , I am not being racist ? as I am using as an example .

Whatever is happening in Melbourne I dont like it nor I support it ( beating of an Indian student with a screwdriver ), I will leave this here and leave with just 1 question - should we cover up our dirty habits by using RACISIM as a SCAPEGOAT ?

* moderators please post this post , it will helpful as an eyeopener and I hope it reduces the hatered among people.

Last edited by passion4cars : 9th June 2009 at 11:54.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:17   #149
BHPian

Further to what I wrote - below is an article from yahoo news section - with story below & the link - Racist Australians? No, Indians students are blamed - Yahoo! India News

Racist Australians? No, Indians students are blamed

Indian students in Australia are to be blamed for getting attacked - this seems to be the belief of many Indians prospering in Australia. In a flurry of e-mails from Down Under, it is made out that the Indian students invite these vicious attacks upon themselves.The Australia-Indian community leaders and their religious/social welfare organisations have hardly issued any strong statements against these racist attacks.
During the recent Melbourne protest, hardly any older Australian-Indians turned up to show their solidarity with the Indian students even as the students cried themselves hoarse demanding justice. In fact, some white Australians were seen carrying placards to support them. Reports in the Indian media stated that these well-settled Australian-Indians do not want these events to affect their cushy life or tarnish their relations with whites.
These racial attacks have continued for the last two or three years with a growing number of them now directed at Indian students whose numbers have swelled to about 97,000.
Did the local Indians take any individual or community action to prevent these ugly attacks? On the contrary, when the recent spate of brutal assaults by Australian hooligans hit the headlines, they were quick to point out the reasons emanating from the students.
According to e-mails from Australia, Indian students allegedly do not know English, they display their expensive gadgets like mobiles, laptops and iPods; play loud music, talk loudly in their native tongues, live up to 15 in rooms rented for four persons, make their accommodation filthy, come out to their compounds in their underwear to urinate in the open and display innumerable other uncouth habits loathed by Australians. No wonder they are attacked, say the e-mails.
Many students are frustrated when they find that their colleges are run by Australian-Indian 'crooks'. 'When they go to their class, they find that all the students are from India, and the teacher teaches them in Hindi/Punjabi. They realise that they could have received a better education at a fraction of the cost and without the problems and pains (in India). Many of our people have opened educational institutions as on-line licensing was so easy here. These people cheated the system by supplying false information. Now many of such colleges face closure, further putting strain on students who have paid so much money to study there,' said one such e-mail.
If the well-settled Australian-Indians have known all these problems for the last few years, what have they done to alleviate the situation? Did they launch any orientation courses in their places of worship to 'welcome' the new Indian students every year and explain to them the norms of the Australian way of life? Did they approach their elected representatives to press for starting these orientation courses in India or Australia? Or, urge them to enforce additional measures at the Australian high commission in India, like an oral English test, before granting them a student visa? Did they seek the closing down of these sub-standard 'teaching shops' run by unscrupulous Australian-Indians as they attract unsuspecting students through their recruiting agents in India?
'Many students have committed suicide due to pressure from India and their inability to study without tuition as they fail to follow classroom lectures,' says an Indian professional in an e-mail. 'They cannot get more funds from India; on the contrary, every relative from India phones them asking: 'When will you get a job and remit money to repay your loan?' Students have been committing suicides here and the Indian high commission would not even listen to anything nor acknowledge that there was a problem. Local Indians and students have been arranging for the dead bodies to be sent to India.'
Then the Indian media is to be blamed for highlighting these attacks and giving an unbalanced picture - never mind the fact that most print media have published articles by Indian university professors in Australia or established leaders on this situation and TV channels aired reports by local and 'citizen' journalists. They are pained at the reaction from India: film legend Amitabh Bachchan declining an honorary degree from an Australian university; Indian tourists cancelling their Aussie holidays in large numbers; Indian film producers boycotting film shootings; Indian student numbers declining this year; and perhaps, bilateral trade going down as India is the seventh biggest trade partner of Australia.
The established Australian-Indians are unwilling to accept the violent attacks by the Aussie lumpens who demand cigarettes, money and their gadgets and then slash them with knives or pierce their skulls with screwdrivers. They would not comment until the courts decide them. How many convictions have been reported in the last few years? They don't know. It's to do with their clothes smelling of curry, so they get 'curry-bashing', the local Indians say.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:42   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
- DESI will always try to mix in the DESI group never try to mix or try to know the culture of Australia
Now when he does, you say he is running after a GORA girl.

Quote:
- Every DESI will always run after a GORI girl and will go to the extend of harrasing her . ( I wont go in further details on this one - just I would say this much - You can approach a girl once , if she refuses you and you approach her again , she has all rights to call police and you can be charged , irrespective of being from any country.)
And then this is what happens finally.

Quote:
- DESI students are known to be GAY ( as they will walk with hands in hands or with arms over shoulders in malls , which is not a culture in Australia )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks