Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 17:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is my critique so far on the shots I liked. It is strictly my opinion, according to my compositional tastes.
You missed Mukhul's (TorqueGuru's) picture. That one actually stands out from the rest.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:20   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You missed Mukhul's (TorqueGuru's) picture. That one actually stands out from the rest.
No I didn't. Anybody could have shot that image just by holding any cheapo camera (let alone D700) close to a car body after the rain. TG is capable of excellent composition, here he was being extremely lazy.

This is just my opinion, you are welcome to differ.
Old 21st September 2009, 21:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I'd love to differ here.

Quote:
Anybody could have shot that image just by holding any cheapo camera (let alone D700) close to a car body after the rain.
No way. It is not the camera, but the idea of composing this picture which has to click in one's mind first. Look at many pictures in this thread, they might be shot with DSLRs of P&S cameras but many are just simple everyday clicks without thinking much about composition.

Moreover, your comment - "Anybody could have shot that image just by holding any cheapo camera" - applies to many other pictures in this thread!
Old 21st September 2009, 21:28   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have cropped that Image, let me know if its better now.
No, you have to feel whether it is better, what do you think about the cropped image?
Oh I definitely feel that its better than the original pic as it looks more symmetrical & makes the picture better to look at.

I just didnt have that thought process that cropping would help so much
Old 21st September 2009, 23:29   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Look at many pictures in this thread, they might be shot with DSLRs of P&S cameras but many are just simple everyday clicks without thinking much about composition.
Composition improves after lot of practice and this thread is an attempt to nudge people in that direction.

Quote:
Moreover, your comment - "Anybody could have shot that image just by holding any cheapo camera" - applies to many other pictures in this thread!
True, that's why I haven't commented on them, until you forced me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I just didnt have that thought process that cropping would help so much
Now apply the same principle before clicking, and you would have taken the first step towards composition.
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samurai, for liking the shot. Yes DOF would've been better but was too busy watching the rain. Dunno what happens to me when it rains but I somehow forget everything and start just watching the rain falling. I love it.

My favorite here are the Fountainheader's 1st shot, Jaggu's 2nd shot, Samurai's guy with the umbrella in the rain shot, techno's cropped shot, meghan's shot of the . These shots really give you the feeling of being in the rain. Kind of bring the rain to the home;-)

TG's shot is a nice experiment with water but it doesn't give the feeling of rain. May be it's technically a great shot but not at per with the theme. It's more of an abstract. Same is for the 3rd shot of guyonblakybx . Nice shot but more of abstract. Just my humble opinion.
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:04   #97
BHPian

Quote:
No I didn't. Anybody could have shot that image just by holding any cheapo camera (let alone D700) close to a car body after the rain. TG is capable of excellent composition, here he was being extremely lazy.

This is just my opinion, you are welcome to differ.
I shot that 8 months back, with my cell phone camera, K810i(yes, let alone D700), I was inside the vehicle, pointing at the sun roof.
It was not a great shot for the theme, mainly since it cannot be termed as a rain shot, but when theres no rain around thats the best I could come up with. But photography is also about spotting interesting light and identifying the beauty in it and then making the decicion how to shoot it(which a lazy eye wouldnt care about), which I strongly feel I did in that shot. Your statement, "anybody could have shot that image by holding any cheapo camera".... well, was very humbling to read.

PS: I give my heart and soul to every single photograph I click.
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 22nd September 2009 at 05:17.
Old 22nd September 2009, 07:58   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
I shot that 8 months back, with my cell phone camera, K810i(yes, let alone D700), I was inside the vehicle, pointing at the sun roof.
See, that explains a lot. I didn't have access to the exif, so I didn't know which camera. Considering you own the finest gear, next only to Rudra, and an excellent eye for composition, that photograph was way too ordinary to be attributed to you. So it was surprising to say the least.

Quote:
It was not a great shot for the theme, mainly since it cannot be termed as a rain shot, but when theres no rain around thats the best I could come up with.
Well, that was evident. That is why I didn't bother commenting on it. It may be a decent photograph in a general sense, but as a rain theme photograph, it doesn't have a hope.

Quote:
But photography is also about spotting interesting light and identifying the beauty in it and then making the decicion how to shoot it(which a lazy eye wouldnt care about), which I strongly feel I did in that shot. Your statement, "anybody could have shot that image by holding any cheapo camera".... well, was very humbling to read.
This shot may have been compromised by the limitations of your camera. Or you may have been having a bad photo day. Listen, despite lot of effort, we all take crappy photographs all the time, but we delete it before anybody sees it. There have been many photo sessions, where I have deleted 100% of the photos I have shot.

Quote:
PS: I give my heart and soul to every single photograph I click.
Regards,
TG.
That may be, but effort is not everything, results count too. And equipment counts too, if it didn't, why did you buy your current gear?

I am sure you remember this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1245450 (The DSLR Thread)
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:12   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Now apply the same principle before clicking, and you would have taken the first step towards composition.
Hmm That does make lot of sense but I guess it will take some time before I get a hang of it, so till then I think I will rely on software
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:57   #100
BHPian

@Samurai
Agreed respectfully!
Regards,
TG.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

here are a few pics from outside my window.. Got the idea from Frank mehta's fb album so i got out at around 8.30 and started clickin n clickin n clickin till i got these 45 mins later. Nice timepass though..Sorry for the bad quality.

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-3.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-4.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-5.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-6.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-7.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-13.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-14.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-15.jpg

Last edited by danlalan : 22nd September 2009 at 22:06.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:42   #102
BHPian

@Samurai
Oops! I missed this statement of yours!
" There have been many photo sessions, where I have deleted 100% of the photos I have shot."
Thankfully, that has never happened to me
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:05   #103
BHPian

wet streets after continuous rain..
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-3556094636_69da464baf_o.jpg  

Old 25th September 2009, 00:26   #104
Team-BHP Support

We still have few more days before the theme ends...

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-_8053720.jpg
Old 25th September 2009, 02:10   #105
BHPian

@Samurai
There seems to be a lot of noise in that pic, what was the ISO setting at? Also, if you could subdue the highlights a bit(in camera) then There would be more life in the picture.
Regards,
TG.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks