Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2018, 07:58   #826
Team-BHP Support

Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Not a surprising fact to regulars of this thread.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...users&from=mdr
Old 27th April 2018, 13:14   #827
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts about 3 months notice period in an IT company? Will it impact future job oppurtunities/calls? Should notice period be a criteria to be considered when thinking to join a new company.
Old 27th April 2018, 13:20   #828
BHPian

We have 3 months at my place of work, but doesn't prevent or reduce attrition in anyway. This implies other companies are willing to wait.
Old 27th April 2018, 13:31   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any thoughts about 3 months notice period in an IT company? Will it impact future job oppurtunities/calls? Should notice period be a criteria to be considered when thinking to join a new company.
It's an absolute pain and companies are just wasting time and money with such long notice periods.
As long as the employee is not in a critical role, such long notice periods doesn't make sense.
Old 8th May 2018, 12:44   #830
Team-BHP Support

These are bad times for senior IT employees, but things are looking up for junior to mid-level employees.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64069430.cms

IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates-jobs.jpg

What is Machine Learning? Same as AI?
Old 8th May 2018, 15:09   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Heck, don we have any dedicated thread on T-BHP for this analytics, stats, AI, ML etc? I am sure we must be having experts and gurus from this field too ion board.
There is already a thread on TBHP but the discussions are more around the current trends in AI.

Link
Old 5th June 2018, 10:13   #832
BHPian

The bar has been raised. It is now 94% .

Not fit for hiring

and the IT service companies are feeling the pinch.

Quote:
Wipro also said some of its employees may not receive increments this year and signaled to the workforce that routine legacy work will be viewed less favorably compared to digital functions and interest to re-skill.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 5th June 2018 at 10:17.
Old 5th June 2018, 19:05   #833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The bar has been raised. It is now 94% .

Not fit for hiring
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechM CEO
A student scoring 60% marks cannot pursue BA-English today, but can definitely go in for engineering. My point is simple — are we not creating people for unemployment?
This fellow completely misses the point. The real trouble in this country is we judge people from their stupid marks. I always got around 60% marks throughout my school and college. If I had been stopped from taking engineering branch because of that, I wouldn't be where I am, running a tech company. I can't believe this CEO still thinks academic scores makes better engineers. In my hiring strategy, I hardly pay attention to their marks. It only tells me they are hardworking and nothing else.

Stop blaming the students, when the education system is rotten to the core.

Last edited by Samurai : 5th June 2018 at 19:11.
Old 6th June 2018, 12:35   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This fellow completely misses the point. The real trouble in this country is we judge people from their stupid marks. I always got around 60% marks throughout my school and college. If I had been stopped from taking engineering branch because of that, I wouldn't be where I am, running a tech company. I can't believe this CEO still thinks academic scores makes better engineers. In my hiring strategy, I hardly pay attention to their marks. It only tells me they are hardworking and nothing else.

Stop blaming the students, when the education system is rotten to the core.

Quoting from article "For example, Nasscom says 6 million people are required in cybersecurity by 2022. But we have a skills shortage"

Do they think it requires an army for cybersecurity

Nassacom and these industry captains are the problem around 1.5 decades back they created hype around requirement of IT engineers and colleges mushroomed answering their call and not they call them unemployable.
Old 15th June 2018, 10:22   #835
BHPian

Techie rides a horse to office on last day of work

Link

IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates-horse.jpg
Old 15th June 2018, 14:42   #836
BHPian

The point is quite simple for me: there are different type of jobs in every industry, for example Auto industry will have certain companies which will lead in design of cars, others will drive innovation in gears/engines etc, some others will create best possible suspensions. On the other hand, manufacturing of automobile & auto components may happen in any country of choice as per business priorities.
Certain countries lead in specific areas such Briton has becomes the leader in technologies used in F1 cars, whereas Germany & Italy lead in luxury automobiles.
In this scenario, is it fair to fault China & India that they have remained manufacturing hub but never became leader in automobile R&D?
Innovation happens due to need & market for innovation supported by an ecosystem which enables it.

Lets look at IT with similar perspective, India and many low cost countries benefitted from outsourcing of non-core IT activites in late 90s, many of these countries (primarily India) have now become leaders in end to end system integration, doing turnkey IT programs for forture 500 companies. I am sure google & facebooks of the world would not be able to implement end to end ERP for large multi national organization with their current capabilities (which Infosys/Wipro would do with ease). Is it a positive or negative aspect of google/facebook, I don't know.
The world needs different activities to be performed by different entities, if everyone if only doing innovation, it will become unsustainable.

on a side note, Innovation, in my humble opinion, is the most abused word in corporate world, where anything & everything becomes innovation.
Old 15th June 2018, 15:19   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
The world needs different activities to be performed by different entities, if everyone if only doing innovation, it will become unsustainable.
How will it be unsustainable? Do you mean that the time that can be spent on generating innovative ideas will be locked up in doing "menial" tasks that can be outsourced? Absence of innovation can be comfortable as long as the cheese is not moved. Once it moves, this is what happens.

Quote:
The large Indian IT services companies do not have adequate “innovation quotient” and that to a large extent impacts their ability to effectively use the strengths of an acquired firm, said V Balakrishnan, former board member of Infosys.
Quote:
on a side note, Innovation, in my humble opinion, is the most abused word in corporate world, where anything & everything becomes innovation.
It becomes abused word only when it is thrust down the throat of the people who are not willing to participate in innovation / who are not capable of generating innovative ideas.

This article mentioned why Indian firms do not innovate.

Quote:
“Most of the time, my experience is that firms don’t know what they don’t know,” Mr. Maloney said. Most of the SMEs I have worked with are full of smart people, often trained as engineers, very committed to their firms and the workers, but they are often just not aware of how they could be doing things better. The management support programmes that Japan, Singapore, the entire West engages in are important for exactly that reason, he said.
This says China has skipped the IT services bandwagon and are on course to leap frog over Indian IT sector.

Quote:
The next generation of IT companies are coming from the U.S. and China, not India. If you look at the market capitalization of top 10 tech companies in the world, Alibaba and Tencent are No. 9 and No. 10. And the top five are big U.S. companies. So India, despite having all the lead in IT, doesn’t have an entry in that. That is not easy problem to fix. Because you miss a generation, it takes 15 years to catch up.

Any attempt for India to make a bid for that will require us to think about what’s the next big leap and be able to make that generational leap. Because 20 years ago, there was no vision of Alibaba or Tencent. But some people in China made that leap and got lucky. We need someone out here to think about what will happen 15 years from now. That is a big question mark. Because what we have right now in India is essentially copies of American businesses like Amazon or eBay. There’s no real innovation happening in the internet space.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 15th June 2018 at 15:47.
Old 15th June 2018, 15:57   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
How will it be unsustainable? Do you mean that the time that can be spent on generating innovative ideas will be locked up in doing "menial" tasks that can be outsourced?
No, what I mean is: World requires all kind of jobs & people to sustain it, if everyone is only involved in so called "innovation" & 'state of the art' work, who will do the "menial" jobs?
Think about the world as human body, if every body part wants to function as brain - will it sustain?
You do need different parts, which excel in their respective domain.
Old 15th June 2018, 17:15   #839
BHPian

Quote:
No, what I mean is: World requires all kind of jobs & people to sustain it, if everyone is only involved in so called "innovation" & 'state of the art' work, who will do the "menial" jobs?
Think about the world as human body, if every body part wants to function as brain - will it sustain?
You do need different parts, which excel in their respective domain.
I would say it is the so-called menial jobs that are on the fast track towards automation. The only hope of not being displaced by a robot or AI system is to contribute in some way that a machine cannot i.e. something involving creativity, original ideas etc. Hence the mad rush towards these skillsets / prefessions.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:04   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Chief of IBM touches up on this:

https://www.rediff.com/business/repo...f/20190313.htm

Most Viewed