Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 13:16   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Isn't it the other way, JEE & AIPMT being based on CBSE syllabus?
I think it is about the grasping power. ICSE kids are habituated dealing with a vast syllabus. For them, JEE is still challenging, but they can easily step-up if motivated.

Somehow the kids in primary section are coping up and learning stuff.
I try to spend time with my son
1. Reading his workbooks back to him. I am hoping he can listen and understand.
2. Reviewing what he has written and trying to improve.
Drawing a straight line is also difficult it seems. Hence handwriting suffers. So, just drawing lines will improve the handwriting.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:18   #602
BHPian

All Round Boarding Schools in South India

Hi,

My neighbor is looking for reliable boarding schools for his son in Class 8, Next year Class 9. He inquired with me on the same, but since I have little knowledge , I would like to have your inputs.

Looking at overall development of the kid and not pure concentration on studies.

Any kind experiences will be highly appreciated
Old 30th July 2015, 17:25   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
The above were all the tangible ones.

Need inputs from you folks if you've known about the quality of education that is imparted in here.

Really appreciate!

Thanks,
Vinay
My daughter studies in the JGRVK in Ramamurthynagar.The school is run by Rastrothanna Parishat and has very good infra. The teaching is ok and they have lots of emphasis on extra curricular activities. The school in RM nagar also has a swimming pool. I can explain more if interested.
Old 30th July 2015, 22:07   #604
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I was looking for guidance on admissions for a ad year 2016-2017 : and lo and behold this is the forum with a lot information
I stay in Golden Blossom, Kadugodi. My son turned 3 in April this year. We have got him admitted to Gopalan National School (ICSE), which is near Graphite India.

He looks forward to go to school and enjoys being there. We are happy so far.

Last edited by ampere : 31st July 2015 at 00:06. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 30th July 2015, 22:30   #605
BHPian

Here is an option for our members looking for learning the cultural way:

http://www.ishafoundation.org/HomeSchool

I found that they focus on holistic development through yoga while teaching the contemporary academic syllabus.

Hope that helps and adds some value to searches.

Regards

Himanshu
Old 1st August 2015, 03:22   #606
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My son is in Std. I in a CBSE school. He has Hindi and Marathi as well.
2 languages in std. I? Plus the usual English?

That is totally mind boggling man!! May I know the name of the school? So that I can avoid it completely.

We only had English and Hindi from std. I to VII. The regional languages were only std 8 onwards.

3 to 5 years were considered quite sufficient to learn it 30 years ago. The same school has now removed regional languages and kept French and Sanskrit. It's name is not important. It's a CBSE board.

No, we were not at all exceptional students. In fact very, very average. Personally I was well below average. We just had exceptional teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Any tips for getting into kendriya vidyalaya yelanka

I will be applying in civilian quota. Thanks in advance
For admission under civilian quota, only a central minister's recommendation will help.

Do mention your own medical profession boldly. There is some weightage given for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I do not have my hopes up, so I am looking at courses like B. Sc., B. Com, etc. right now.

How easy or difficult is it to do this? If someone has done it before, could you please guide me through the process?
You can apply in St. Joseph's college. They have a large number of seats both for BSc and BCom. The 2 campuses are near each other. But different entities. So apply both places.

2nd best would be Christ college, Dairy circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
... of the reasons I have heard are that this school is smaller and many high profile public servants live in NGV.
Additionally bear in mind that NPS has some internal criteria every year based on which they shortlist for interview...
Far as I know the only admission criterion is - any siblings studying there or is the parent an ex-student. Within this seniority is applied.

The parents being in public service carries no weightage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
1.) Wait for one more year and risk my child being behind one academic year than kids of her age and some younger to her.
2.) Some how take admissions in the schools who are still taking in kids.
3.) There is no guarantee that the courts will be doing their job properly and kids much younger will sail through.
4.) Some say that despite some schools violating the cut off the kids will be asked to repeat Sr. KG as the Govt of India in the Right to Education Act has mandated that kinds being 6 or 6+ ONLY will be allowed in 1st standard.
5.) If I wait for one more year before putting my child in nursery due to her DOB she will be by far the eldest in her class all her life and will be already 7 yrs before she starts 1st standard.
6.) If I put her now I find that eventually when I hope to put her in some good boarding schools she will have to repeat the entry year as good girls boarding schools in India have a cut off of 1st April!
7.) Lastly I doctor her birth certificate and put her in a school now but doctor the birth certificate in such a way that she won't have a problem even in boarding schools.
I assure you there is nothing wrong in joining a school when the kid is slightly older than peers. Scientifically their minds are more mature.
Take our own examples. Is everyone younger than us earning less money? Unlikely isn't it? Same case here.
Doctoring papers will cause umpteen misery later on. It is depending on your personal beliefs of course. But the driving license, passport and other items will have the "wrong" date.

Moderator's Note: Back to back posts merged. Please use the EDIT button within the 30-minute window to edit or add to your post instead of posting one after the other consecutively.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 10:07. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
Old 1st August 2015, 08:51   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
Now the school in which we went ahead with her admission is revoked her admission as she doesn't make the cut off of being 3 years as of 31st May. Now this rule has always been there. But schools still took kids till Aug/Sept and even in rare case Oct months. But this year some High Court has cracked the whip and said the cut off will be strictly implemented and that it'll monitor it and any school found violating the same will be penalized heavily.

Now the tragedy is the schools I rejected in these process has also taken kids beyond this cut off but none of these have yet sent revocation notices to the respective parents. I know this for a fact as some of my friends kids born in Aug/Sept have taken admissions there.

I am in lumbar and have the following choices.

1.) Wait for one more year and risk my child being behind one academic year than kids of her age and some younger to her.
2.) Some how take admissions in the schools who are still taking in kids.
3.) There is no guarantee that the courts will be doing their job properly and kids much younger will sail through.
4.) Some say that despite some schools violating the cut off the kids will be asked to repeat Sr. KG as the Govt of India in the Right to Education Act has mandated that kinds being 6 or 6+ ONLY will be allowed in 1st standard.
5.) If I wait for one more year before putting my child in nursery due to her DOB she will be by far the eldest in her class all her life and will be already 7 yrs before she starts 1st standard.
6.) If I put her now I find that eventually when I hope to put her in some good boarding schools she will have to repeat the entry year as good girls boarding schools in India have a cut off of 1st April!
7.) Lastly I doctor her birth certificate and put her in a school now but doctor the birth certificate in such a way that she won't have a problem even in boarding schools.

Being a parent I don't want her to be 1 year behind than her peers due to this stupid situation. But The cut offs and how strictly will they be implemented etc. is a big question mark so I really need some opinion and advice on the same.
thanks for sharing this. I was always thinking nov is the cutoff. My daughter is December born and Yet to go to a school. I may not help your condition by saying what I want to here but I will hope and pray that the rule is implemented in spirit, sorry.

One - considering that rule continues in the same way as before, my daughter and I are in the same situation. I will never think of your last option - that sounds so wrong to me. No documents tampering EVER.

Two - why do you call option 1 a risk! I wouldn't be as obsessed about losing an year. What you lose somewhere, you gain elsewhere. I will let her stay at home, grow with us more and may be play more with a carefree mind for that additional time. Her peers would certainly crave for such a time for their lifetime and still wouldn't get it . She will be a more mature girl when compared to her peers in school (or may be not). BTW - we had similar situation when we were at school, I have mates younger and elder to me but I haven't seen anyone complain then or now.

Only risk is #3, you may end up feeling cheated if the rule is not implemented to the spirit
Old 1st August 2015, 14:04   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

That is totally mind boggling man!! May I know the name of the school? So that I can avoid it completely.
My daughter's school has 4 languages in 1st Std, English,Hindi,Kannada and Sanskrit. Kids learn language at an early age and so is apt. Science and Math will come later.
Old 1st August 2015, 16:56   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

This is not unusual. My daughters study in an ICSE school in Mumbai. Both have 3 languages from 1st onwards, only thing is Marathi is verbal only till 3rd. From 4th onwards, all 3 languages are written. After 7th, they can drop Marathi in favour of French.

We had the same when I was growing up in the 1980s (in a state board school).
Old 19th August 2015, 22:22   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not directly related to school admissions.

My friend lives in JP Nagar 6th Phase, Bangalore. Her son is in 2nd, and goes to St Joseph's. The school wont take kids below 5th standard in the school bus.

Question:
Is there anyone in Bangalore south who is willing to share transportation ?
Old 18th September 2015, 14:57   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Another query, not directly related to school admissions

Friend is looking for a IGCSE tutor, for his son who is in 10th. They are planning to move from Singapore to BLR soon.

In case anyone knows of a IGCSE tutor, please contact me. Thanks !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2015 at 15:43. Reason: Edited as requested.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:06   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is not directly related to school admissions.

My friend lives in JP Nagar 6th Phase, Bangalore. Her son is in 2nd, and goes to St Joseph's. The school wont take kids below 5th standard in the school bus.

Question:
Is there anyone in Bangalore south who is willing to share transportation ?
My kid got admission in a school about 15 km away from home. While this school didn't have an issue with age for using the school bus I knew my kid would be exhausted traveling 30 km each day in peak traffic.

So we decided to give our house on rent and moved to a rented flat about 4 crosses away from the school. I preferred to battle the daily traffic myself and keep the kid stress free.

We did debate shifting schools but the ones near our house don't have any playground.

I like driving but that's a different issue.

Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Another query, not directly related to school admissions

Friend is looking for a IGCSE tutor, for his son who is in 10th. They are planning to move from Singapore to BLR soon.

In case anyone knows of a IGCSE tutor, please contact me. Thanks !
Please mention the approximate area they'll be staying and subjects on which they need help.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2015 at 16:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:16   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Residence - Hanumanthnagar.
Subjects - mainly science, math. Would be good to know of tutors for any other subjects, just in case

Thanks !
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:34   #614
BHPian

Re: Bangalore School Admissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Beg to differ here,the Bangalore school as Yosbert mentioned hasnt decided on what they are going to integrate into at class 7,but all the other Waldorf schools in India (Abhaya,Sloka,Tridha & Pune Steiner) all are affiliated to the Indian educational systems.Abhaya & Sloka are CBSE affiliated while Tridha is ICSE and Pune Steiner I dont think has decided either.All the Waldorf schools are very much and if I may say hard core "Indian" in their approach.Yes they do have reciprocal arrangements with Waldorf schools in other parts of the world but nothing in the syllabus,which is very much Indian.

OT,Kolkota too has a Waldorf kindergarten now called Navankur Steiner.
Tridha in Mumbai is actually affiliated to IGCSE from Class 7, as per my enquiry. They have closed down the admission for 2016-17 There is 1 more Waldorf school by the name Inodai. But not sure about their standards comparing Tridha. They are relatively new too, started in 2010.

Any reviews about them would help me greatly in finalizing.

Also please suggest good ICSE schools in and around Chembur area apart from St.Gregorios.

Man, this is really taxing
Old 3rd October 2015, 18:23   #615
BHPian

Hi,
We are looking for admissions for our 3yr old son. We live around Bellandur, Bangalore. Schools we have shortlisted are
(1) DPS East - Have visited campus. And have some feedback which is generally tending towards positive.
(2) Greenwood high - Again mostly positive reviews, more positive than DPS. Costlier. Are looking to visit the campus at the earliest. May attend the feeder school in Koramangala the first year.
(3) Harvest International - Few reviews avaialable. Newer school of the lot. Visited the campus and liked it. Has a feeder school in HSR, but that is cramped. Will not be sending into the feeder.
(4) Chrysalis - Added to the list from reading this thread. Which is the branch closest to Bellandur?
(5) Deens Varthur Road - This is starting this year I think. Anyone taking a shot at it?
(6) Deens Whitefield - Included as an after thought. How would the travel for the kid be from Marathahalli to the school?

We already visited Primus and New Horizon Gurukul and were not impressed by them. Vibgyor, Harlur road have not received positive feedback from a colleague.
Oakridge - Heard is only for the super rich.

We will most likely shift to somewhere on Sarjapur Road (suggestions welcome) once the school is finalized.
Does anyone have children studying in the above schools and can share feedback? Particularly including the student teacher ratio. Also, how easy is it to get admissions into these schools in grade 1 compared to getting in at nursery?

Appreciate any help we get.
Cheers, Shikhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks