Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.34%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 89 81.65%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.83%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 22:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

I usually do not like to tell what other people to do, but Aagoswami, if you at anytime feel depressed or lonely, do read spiritual books like those on Buddhism (the one i can recommend strongly - Awakening the Sleeping Buddha by Tai Situpa) or some great books by Swami Sukhbodhananda (Oh Life relax please- yogic wisdom to life management). And one need not be religious to understand the contents of these books.
Old 18th January 2010, 23:10   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Thanks guys, in one way I am lucky, but currently looking for one job but also further studies have messed up my mind.
You may have set v high and unrealistic expectations for yourself without a clear gameplan. Then disappointment for not being there.

Since you like cars why dont you work in a auto dealership/regional marketing div in sales and then think of your next career move. Having a steady paycheck will do wonders to your confidence and self esteem.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th January 2010 at 09:38.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:38   #138

A real life story from Mumbai closer to the topic under discussion in todays TOI edition. Hats off to this guy for not giving up.

This peon's opinion on Suicide and how children should be encouraged gel well with the theme of the movie.

Article Window
Old 20th January 2010, 10:49   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I usually do not like to tell what other people to do, but Aagoswami, if you at anytime feel depressed or lonely, do read spiritual books like those on Buddhism (the one i can recommend strongly - Awakening the Sleeping Buddha by Tai Situpa) or some great books by Swami Sukhbodhananda (Oh Life relax please- yogic wisdom to life management). And one need not be religious to understand the contents of these books.
aagoswami, loneliness? Ever tried Jonathan Livingston Seagull?
Pardon me, if this appears like a lecture .
Old 20th January 2010, 10:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

Guys hasn't this thread seriously off topic .

BTW aagoswami i checked you profile page on team BHP i think its time for you to change certain things you put there, just a friendly advise.

Pramod
Old 20th January 2010, 11:05   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys hasn't this thread seriously off topic .
I thought twice before posting, thinking it as off topic. But, the movie has two characters - Joy Lobo and Raju which makes this relavant?
Old 7th October 2011, 15:49   #142
Team-BHP Support

Re: Things to learn from 3 idiots

Here is a good video on creativity and education.

Old 24th June 2014, 23:57   #143
Team-BHP Support

I had to bump this thread, which asked whether you want your kid to be Chatur or Rancho, etc. I didn't vote because I realised it is not in our control.

Today this happened. My son who is in 8th grade was trying to practice for a speech in Kannada. After seeing him struggle for 3-4 hours, we asked what's the problem.

He: I am trying to memorize this speech, but it is too hard.
Me: Why is it so hard?
He: I can't understand the meaning.
Me: Show me the speech.

Things to learn from 3 idiots-kannadaarticle.jpg

Those of you who can read Kannada, will realise it is complete nonsense.

Me: What does this mean, did you write this speech?
He: No.
Me: Who gave this speech to you?
He: Nobody...
Me: This is pure nonsense, where did you get this?
He: Internet.
Me: Why is this so meaningless?
He: I got this from a website in English, and translated to Kannada using google language tools.
Me:

Since it was translated by Google, he figured it must be perfect. In fact, that is exactly what many of his classmates are doing. Our schools are now mass producing Chaturs, irrespective of our poll wishes.

Anyway, I spent the next 30 minutes crafting a new speech, which he could instantly understand.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

I am amazed how things have changed in last 5-10 years. there are schools which have started IIT JEE preparation from 6th Class. In the metros, especially in Bangalore we have seen children being pushed hard from 1st standard onwards. I see no child playing in the evening in and around our house. In the playfield/parks I only see 20 something folks either playing football or cricket. Kids in class 1 to class 10 have become slaves of homework and studies day in and day out. If a child goes on a vacation and takes off from class even for a day the teacher behaves as if earth has fallen around him/her. I remember when we were young we always played from 4pm to 7 pm everyday and more on Saturday/Sunday. Most of us took to cricket, but some like me played Badminton. In my younger days I have not studied for more than an hour each day doing homework, now-a-days kids spend 4-5 hours. What exactly they do - Math - 30 similar problems (No creativity at all), English/Hindi - Answering 10 questions from the book, Science/Social studies - again some answers to questions or doing some projects which is designed by the teachers which doesn't add much value to the kid. It takes lot of time from parents who end up doing the project.

I remember Amir Khan's dialogue in Tare Zameen par "Everyone wants their kid to become a engineer or a doctor. No one really tries to understand what the kid is good at and work towards encouraging it and getting the best out of the kid".

I seriously think there is an urgent need to completely revamp our education system. Else we will have serious problem of burnout in GenY and GenZ population in India.

Last edited by DieselFan : 25th June 2014 at 10:00.
Old 25th June 2014, 11:25   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I remember Amir Khan's dialogue in Tare Zameen par "Everyone wants their kid to become a engineer or a doctor. No one really tries to understand what the kid is good at and work towards encouraging it and getting the best out of the kid".
Perhaps there is a simple explanation that I can give - based on what I have observed.

You are not inclined for Engg/Doc degree. You pass some how and land up with job. Most of the "jobs" in this world can be done even by 10th or 12th pass (but of course with inclination). The degree is just a cut off criteria.

Now imagine the whole world's organizations are filled with such people. What happens? Its an ecosystem which survives in this way. People live and make money.

Now lets move over to the unconventional side. Perhaps a musician. On an average do you have an idea how much a musician would make? Its a never ending struggle for most, only those that make it with a record company or movie industry get to earn considerable money. For most others it is a constant penury (and imagine with the current levels of supply of musicians). If this supply goes up - we can only see the average earning going further down.

Society as a whole tries to attain the path of least resistance, least effort, most returns. Where do we see all this? In the traditional degree ecosystem! So everyone indeed gravitates towards it.

In US, the case 2 (musicians) offers more money for a significantly more comfortable life. Hence people are not really averse of taking it up as a profession.

My point is that it is not only the parents to be blamed. The children are also no less. But overall it is the society which has to take the blame. The society dictates to the parents and children INDEPENDENTLY of each other what they SHOULD do and what should be their priorities in life.

The funny thing is that the society is nothing but a collection of these parents and children only!
Old 25th June 2014, 12:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Now lets move over to the unconventional side. Perhaps a musician. On an average do you have an idea how much a musician would make? Its a never ending struggle for most, only those that make it with a record company or movie industry get to earn considerable money. For most others it is a constant penury (and imagine with the current levels of supply of musicians). If this supply goes up - we can only see the average earning going further down.
I think world is a lot bigger than one can imagine. If you have the passion for any discipline - conventional or unconventional there would definitely be a way in which you can make a living and enjoy doing it. Again why do we always rate success = Money. There are many examples in history who were successful people with moderate/simple lifestyle.

I strongly believe there is no shortage of areas one can excel in in any field. If we have passion for something unconventional we should definitely go after it. Imagine a scenario if Lata Mangeshkar and AR Rehman had given up music.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:15   #147
Senior - BHPian

My close friend comes from a family of classical musicians. He is an engineer and likes his work. He has great passion for music and gives musical performances with good performers and his family. He is in B grade currently as per AIR.

His earnings from the performances itself is about 20K every month most of the months. There is a lot of opportunities even in music if you want to pursue it seriously. In addition practicing gives him a great deal of satisfaction and peace.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I think world is a lot bigger than one can imagine. If you have the passion for any discipline - conventional or unconventional there would definitely be a way in which you can make a living and enjoy doing it. Again why do we always rate success = Money. There are many examples in history who were successful people with moderate/simple lifestyle.

I strongly believe there is no shortage of areas one can excel in in any field. If we have passion for something unconventional we should definitely go after it. Imagine a scenario if Lata Mangeshkar and AR Rehman had given up music.
I think I was quite clear in stating that IF YOU let your priorities get dictated by the society what you see around happens. (And hence it continues to happen)

I have never ever said that one SHOULD let that happen. But yes, if you don't have ability to define prirorities in your life, don't have the ability to detect what you are good at, what you can excel at, what your passion is - it makes sense to go with the flow (this is true for an alarmingly high percentage of people I have met/come across - some at quite senior positions).

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th June 2014 at 12:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks