Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.34%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 89 81.65%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.83%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 15:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Samurai, I do agree that we Indians are not the subtle kind. And our movies and TV shows do tend to exaggerate things to drive home a point.

IMHO, this exaggeration is OK as long as it is being used for the sake of entertainment. But some people tend to get influenced by the things shown in movies/TV shows and try to imitate the same. For example, some kids tried to fly like Shaktiman, some students tried to cheat in an exam like Munnabhai MBBS, some guys tried to rob a bank, any many more.

The last thing you want happening is students misbehaving with college profs and getting the message that education is worthless.

I agree that the education system in our country is totally flawed. Original thinking and innovation are not encouraged. But the fact remains that those who go through formal education have a better chance of landing a job as compared to those who haven't. Having a degree does not help you in your job, but it helps you to get one.

Everyone is not so lucky to be able to work in a field they are passionate about. I liked to paint when I was young. If I had taken up painting as a career, chances are that I might have become a professional artist. There are also chances that I might have ended up painting movie posters and advertisement banners.

Hence, in order to get a respectable job, I went through formal education and became an engineer.

I understand that there is nothing better than being able to work in a field you are passionate about. But India is not the country where people can follow their dreams and become successful that easily.

There are examples of people who followed their dreams and became successful at what they loved, but for each successful person, there must be 100 others who tried to follow their dreams and failed miserably. We don't know them because nobody talks about them.

Samurai, you are passionate about programming and decided to pursue a career in programming. I an glad that you are happy with your choice of career. But would you have pursued a career in photography, your other passion ? Do you feel that in a country like India, you would have been as financially successful if you became a professional photographer ?

Please don't take it as a personal attack, I am just trying to use your case as an example, since you are one of those few people who are actually driven by passion. Most of us don't even remember what we were passionate about (except cars and girls) when we were in college.

Rohan,
Bangalore

I agree, but dont you think you will be most successful, if you work on what you love? It may not be practical but still, giving a try is not going to cost much.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:14   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I especially liked the part where Aamir says something on the lines of "where is the innovation in this college? Its only exams and marks here". Read a similar article in the Times where the author was talking about doctors who cleared med school with flying colours, but made disastrous recommendations to patients. Theory is one thing, what you make of your overall education entirely different.

Another message in the movie : Do what you love doing. Don't follow public trends for the heck of it.

And yet another : Pursue excellence, not success. If you are the best at what you do, success will automatically come.

Have you guys seen Tare Zameen Par? If not, call for the DVD right away. You can really count on Aamir for gold-standard flicks. Man's a thinking actor if I ever saw one.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:18   #33
BANNED

I haven't seen the movie. But I am now getting the messgae its trying to convey.

A bit about my past. Good cricket player, get good marks in 12th Std. All ready to join REC Trichy, Chemical Engineering Seat.

Couple of days later get a call to reperesent state at Ranji level.

From relatives in the US to our neighbours say its a no brainer - REC it should be.

Dad asks what do you want? Cricket... Ok then so be it.

Played for 3 years, had no regrets about the decision. I lived my passion. Today I am where I could have been anyways if I had joined REC.

But if I could have turned down the call to play for the state, it could have hurt forever.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:19   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Work on what you love and work becomes a game. But again, is it always possible?
Yes it is, im a graphic designer and love working on Photoshop. You just need to choose the right hobby that is enjoyable as well as paying.

I love doing many things apart from graphic design but i have decided to keep them as my hobbies since i didn't find them practical enough to pursue, as a career.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 11th January 2010 at 15:20.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Suddenly i have seen every one wants to be called an idiot

e.g. few days ago there was a photgraph of IIM-Bnagalore guy hanging from a tree branch and caption said, "meet the idiots" or somthing like that.

Contemporary movie subjects are apealing to most of the people and they are getting identified with the story, theme, moral of the movie.

Anyways, our society is going through some changes or transformations
The way my parents educated me Vs the way i am currently educating my daughter are way different. for most of us, no one is there to mentor us on parenting as the challenges faced by our parents then and by us now are poles apart.

So the movie re-inforces my believe that applying same good formula for the heck of it may not work in the changed circumstances. Firing, beating, forcing children to study is also not the right method. Forcing them to choose what we chose as our options is also not welcome.

There is no place in the world where one can be successful without passion for achievement, never give up attitude, hardwork, smart thinking and good relationships. India is no different. In fact the compettive intensity is higher in India because of sheer number of people as well as the creativity involved.

But we as parents have the responsibility of guiding our children and ensure that thier capabilities are built for the un-know/partially known future. This is a very delicate job.

There are few definitions of success

1. Socially more desireable definition : More Money, More power, More influence

2. Socially most accepted definition : High Education, Ethics, Discipline, Expertise skills, Stable and Balanced life

3. Socially respected definition : Guru Material e..g Music, Dance, Arts, Crafts, Paitining, Instruments etc. Only True Excellence is considered as successful, ofcourse MF hussain's painting way back in 1950s did not command millions of dollars, now they cost that much. He reached there only through hard work. Lata Mangeshkar was also not known as Bharat Ratna in in 1950s, she was also paid few Rupees for singing.

Ofcourse, the people who often give up will never know what is success.
Only thorugh never ending passion, relentless focus and painful hardwork, success is built inch by inch.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th January 2010 at 15:27.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Its been a really long time since I saw a movie in theatres and what a way to start with none other than 3 idiots. Man what a movie. really shook me up esp since my son is growing up, definitely dont want to end up like those students. Lot of memorable scences to remember esp the ragging one, scene where Aamir is told to teach and he says about the Lion being well trained but not well educated, Scene in the rain at the cemetry where Aamir questions the professor regarding the mental stress and many more. The point is Do we still continue the trend or we do something to bring about a change in the education system. I simply fail to understand the recent software fiascos during the admissions of colleges in Mumbai, IIMA etc and the whole controversy surrounding it. I dread to think what would the condition of our eductaion system be when my son grows up and asks me for advice.
Guys this movie has hit where it hurts the most. A truly lovebale film with outstanding performances from all the actors.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:31   #37

Sometimes you have to complete or get done with a task/job even if you don't like it, just for the sake of formality. I didn't like the way in which Madhavan's character quits engineering in his final year, to serve as an assistant to a great wildlife photographer. In what way would it have hurt him, if he'd completed his final year and then gone for the photography thing, especially since the character has already put in more than 3 years into engineering?
Old 11th January 2010, 15:42   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samit View Post
I didn't like the way in which Madhavan's character quits engineering in his final year, to serve as an assistant to a great wildlife photographer. In what way would it have hurt him, if he'd completed his final year and then gone for the photography thing, especially since the character has already put in more than 3 years into engineering?
There was this fella who quit Harvard to start a company, it didn't hurt him too much.
Old 11th January 2010, 15:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

I havent seen the movie but reading the following blog gives me the impression that the "engineers" in the movie used a vacuum cleaner to deliver a baby? Is this true? If it is, i sure hope nobody learnt THAT from the movie

IBNLive : Sagarika Ghose's Blog : From Three Idiots to a Nation Of Idiots
Old 11th January 2010, 16:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

That has to be one of the most clueless reviews. Sagarika Ghose is from St.Stephan's college and she is quoting IITians saying this and that. Both are from super elite colleges in their respective fields and they would not be able comprehend how rest of the country studies in average engineering colleges.

What is shown in 3 Idiots reflects exactly how it works in average engineering colleges. It used to happen in my days, it happens now and is getting worse. I am from an average college, and I recruit fresh engineers regularly from average colleges, so I know.

Rohan, I'll answer you in detail later tonight.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th January 2010 at 19:35.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Samurai, you are passionate about programming and decided to pursue a career in programming. I an glad that you are happy with your choice of career. But would you have pursued a career in photography, your other passion ? Do you feel that in a country like India, you would have been as financially successful if you became a professional photographer ?
I do not want to quote names (as I have not heard it from the person itself but from a fellow pro photog) but there is a person on our forum (probably one of the best bird photographers of India) who is doing exceptionally well as a bird photographer and also is a successful project manager in one of the IT companies. I do not see why it cannot be done when you want it. More often than not, it is us who are more than willing to limit our opportunities due to some underlying unquestioned fears. Reminds me of the Safari ad.

Also, I read this article today and found it interesting. The title is "The fourth idiot".

The fourth idiot

Profile :: Sonam Wangchuk

Now you know where the "inspiration" comes for that school in Ladakh.

Last edited by HellwratH : 11th January 2010 at 16:23.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

My letter to AK

I wrote a letter Mr. Aamir Khan Just pasting a copy of the same here.

Dear Shri Aamir Khan,

“AAL IZZ WELL”

It gives me immense pleasure to give you a feed back on your latest movie “3 idiots”. Let me start with a point that I am just one of your lots of fans, and this is my own opinion based on what I have seen in your movie.

Let me begin with, the way you have promoted the movie by visiting to different places in India and reaching to the very powerful people of India. I loved it because this is something unique, what I have never seen, that an Indian actor going to all the small streets of India, to promote the movie. You are the first one amongst all the Indian actors to do it as far as I know.

Normally whenever we see a Hindi bollywood movie we have only one massage in an entire film, on relationship for us to understand like ‘Saas Bhau Relationship’ or ‘Husband Wife Relationship’ or ‘Two Friend’s Relationship’ etc. etc. but in your movie you have given lot of massage to masses like: -
1. Tell and keep on telling your heart “Aal izz well”. Problem may not get solved by doing this but you get encouragement and courage to face the problem.
2. Don’t commit suicide if you’re parent’s disagree to, what you are trying to explain them. When you have such a negative thoughts in your mind remember someone who is dependent on you for leaving his basic life.
3. It really doesn’t matter in which type of school or in which type of collage you have studied but it is really important that how you use the knowledge in your real life.
4. You must do things which you love to do. Otherwise there is no use if pulling your life till the last day of your life.
5. Don’t insult your teacher’s even if they are wrong but tell them to correct themselves in a polite manner.
6. Don’t be book worms, real life is beyond that also. Get out of book’s and get in to real world.
7. To study is also important. As you will learn something new exciting every time.
8. If you are a parent and if you have committed a mistake in choosing the right carrier for your child, and then you realize it – accept the mistake, and then correct the mistake by yourself, if possible.

I would like to once again thank you for giving such a wonderful movie to see, enjoy and learn for me and my family and the world around me.

Thanking you,

Sincerely yours
One of the Fans,
Rupesh Jadavji Vora.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:22   #43
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samit View Post
Sometimes you have to complete or get done with a task/job even if you don't like it, just for the sake of formality. I didn't like the way in which Madhavan's character quits engineering in his final year, to serve as an assistant to a great wildlife photographer. In what way would it have hurt him, if he'd completed his final year and then gone for the photography thing, especially since the character has already put in more than 3 years into engineering?
Madhavan's character was never interested in engineering. So, it wouldn't have mattered if had completed his studies or not. This act goes with the movie's theme of following one's passion.

Believe it or not, during my engineering days, we had a guy exactly like 'Chatur' in our class. After watching the movie, I immediately called my friends and had a laugh about the character and the resemblance

This movie really brought back memories from the good ole engineering days. How I miss them
Old 11th January 2010, 16:28   #44
BHPian

It was a good change for me as I had gone to a movie theatre after a couple of years.

Really refreshing. It's a fantastic movie. But, it's still a movie. Meant for entertainment (Paisa Vasool stuff) with heavy doses of exaggeration wherever possible.

What learnings? There are many actually. Some of them off the hand
1. for doctors - Dont ever attempt to deliver a baby with a vaccum cleaner
2. for speakers - proof read your speach at least once before you deliver
3. for cooks - see your utensils when you cook (remember the belan scene when idiots are having dinner at Sharman Joshi's home?)

Well, jokes apart -
As a young parent, it made me think a lot. The time when I was a student going to school and college; and the time when my son would start his school a few years down the line and college just about two decades later; are two different times in different planes. And understanding kids, listening to them, spending meaningful time with them and not to pressurise them to do something that we feel is good for them; is now more important than ever before. That's the only learning if I can recall off those three hours for me.

In the end Rs. 500 well spent for entertainment.
Old 11th January 2010, 16:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is shown in 3 Idiots reflects exactly how it works in average engineering colleges. It used to happen in my days, it happens now and is getting worse. I am from an average college, and I recruit fresh engineers regularly from average colleges, so I know.
Wait... i thought the movie shows a premier engineering college, much on the lines of IIT, and not an average, dime-a-dozen type of college.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks