Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.34%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 89 81.65%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.83%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 15:12   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
..but tell me, did they atleast show them taking all precautions and maintaining hygiene while doing this?
Simple answer - No.
It was a scene of a college lab, without any standard 'medical equipments', even without any electrical power, attempting a complicated delivery.

All they tried to convey on the scene is to improvize and take decisions based on circumstances at hand.
If you get to a level above 'getting into the details of the process', may be you will see the point.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My favourite work is ...
At times I get very interested in photography, especially whenever I come across a digital SLR. But this usually wanes off after a couple of days. Cars and driving/traveling do fare in the list of interests; I do pursue this little more seriously. When I saw a tailor at work the other day, I was interested in cutting clothes, stitching, designing etc.

That brings me to another question.

How does one identify a passion? How would you help your kid identify whether a interest is indeed something that can be pursued as a career? Or it could be a temporary craze or an infatuation (using this word for lack of other words) that would wane off after a couple of days?

To me, identifying a interest as passion at the right time is crucial. Is this the reason most of us end up taking the commonly tread path of professional degree, good job a la Raju, and may later become Roncho?
Old 13th January 2010, 15:22   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think suicide is perfectly justified.
You need counselling and pretty soon.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:23   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You need counselling and pretty soon.
before its too late.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
You will be known as The Hajaam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
May be you will be called BILLU
yeah, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A barber or a hair stylist.

Just hope you get as famous as Jawed Habibs Portfolio
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
My Friend is working as a Hair Stylist in LimeLite Bangalore. In two years time he was regarded as the best hair stylist of LimeLite in South India. He is the official hair stylist of many Kannada and Tamil film stars.
I am very interested in this field but not an expert as this needs few 'heads' to experiment it.I tried giving suggestions to some women in the past about their hair styling and even tried experimenting with my scissors on few!!. But most of my ideas are rather conventional/simple. To become famous I need to learn a lot to make those wiered look you see on movies!!.

I even thought of starting something in line with Great clips/Sports Clips but decided not to as
I have to learn lot and attend some professional training program before attempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Then you will love this movie: Blow Dry (2001)
Sure, am going to watch it on this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
At times I get very interested in photography, especially whenever I come across a digital SLR. But this usually wanes off after a couple of days. Cars and driving/traveling do fare in the list of interests; I do pursue this little more seriously. When I saw a tailor at work the other day, I was interested in cutting clothes, stitching, designing etc.

That brings me to another question.

How does one identify a passion? How would you help your kid identify whether a interest is indeed something that can be pursued as a career? Or it could be a temporary craze or an infatuation (using this word for lack of other words) that would wane off after a couple of days?

To me, identifying a interest as passion at the right time is crucial. Is this the reason most of us end up taking the commonly tread path of professional degree, good job a la Raju, and may later become Roncho?
Many times I faced the same issue, What is my passion? Even I get interested in many field and forget it after few days. But hair styling/int design/house keepikg/agriculture(spin farming) are the few area I am very much interested and think/read/do something. In my case it is multiple passion, god now how many more to come...kidding!!.

I am a Raju now and would like to become Roncho

Last edited by Latheesh : 13th January 2010 at 16:31.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:33   #96
BHPian

Got a mail containing a document on the exact subject of this thread. Please see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lessons from 3 Idiots.pdf (476.9 KB, 571 views)
Old 13th January 2010, 17:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Got a mail containing a document on the exact subject of this thread. Please see attachment.
Hey , are people copying stuff from TBHP??
Old 13th January 2010, 17:14   #98
Team-BHP Support

I don't think that document came out of this thread. It is too confusing, except for the last page. It tries to explain a simple concept in an overly complicated way. Like the definition of a machine given by Chatur.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:07   #99
BHPian

WHAT IF Rancho was punished by his land lord than letting him continue his studies?

would Rancho have completed his engg?

would Rancho still be having 400 patents at the end of the movie?

may be, may be not. speculation. umm

But yeah, the movie got me thinking. Thats why it was made. To make us think about this educational system. And we must agree it has succeeded in that part.
Old 13th January 2010, 22:27   #100
Senior - BHPian

3 idiots is a refreshing movie, touching on something that hasn't been talked about much. But frankly, what's going to change in our society?

havent movies always told us to marry for love? havent movies told us about the corrupt politicians? not to give bribes? treat poor people with kindness?

Yet we enjoy the movies then go back to what we always have done.

Last edited by Mpower : 13th January 2010 at 22:43.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:12   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
3 idiots is a refreshing movie, touching on something that hasn't been talked about much. But frankly, what's going to change in our society?

havent movies always told us to marry for love? havent movies told us about the corrupt politicians? not to give bribes? treat poor people with kindness?

Yet we enjoy the movies then go back to what we always have done.
Movies always show the good bad and ugly part of society in one form or another, a movie can be dark and serious to portray this and another can be funny. its just the way film makers defines it. 3 idiots could have been a serious art film, but then It was not going to break the Box office records.

Last edited by sidd25 : 14th January 2010 at 10:13.
Old 14th January 2010, 11:02   #102
BHPian

Suggestions

DISCLAIMER:I dont want to be preacher by any means. Just suggestions.

Quote:
1) I think nobody loves to end his life, but what if there are no options left.
Options depends on your knowledge level. The more you know more you will have options. Just observe keenly, and options are galore.

Quote:
Life is not fair as we can see in India itself. This also extends to entire world. If one tries hard, but does not get success then ?
YOU decide what is success. Never wait for others CERTIFICATION. You will be doomed.

Quote:
I think suicide is perfectly justified for humans who, despite trying hard and giving their best, are not able to get desired success. If one puts his/her foot in their shoe, one realizes how much pressure and stress they have.
Agree on that. When you let others decide, this may happen.

Quote:
3) Then what is ? Practically speaking, money is almost everything. Only thing above wealth is health. Else you can buy anything you want.
Agree on that too. But before pursuing for money, pls decide how much u need. This will clarify many things.

Quote:
People bring topic of love, but the faster one forgets love, the better.
It takes lifetime to understand true love.

Quote:
I agree that using power and money is wrong, but its done practically all over and those who use it negatively are happy.
Are they happy ? TIP: Such people never reveal there pains outside. But secrets are eventually out.

Chill out.
Old 14th January 2010, 11:33   #103
BHPian

Arey Goswami ji, take a chill pill dude.
No point in living a life so seriously.
Old 16th January 2010, 09:00   #104
Senior - BHPian

Saw this movie yesterday.

My two cents - one of the message of the movie is about freedom. Freedom from goals and targets, freedom from fear, freedom from expectations, freedom from success. Once one is free, deeds are not tied to its fruits. Probably not something new, well explained in chapter 3 of Gita.

:
- The 'balaatkaar' scene -
- Loved the XC90 scenes and the roads.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th January 2010 at 10:37. Reason: extra smiley removed
Old 16th January 2010, 10:36   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
:
- The 'balaatkaar' scene -
This scene is not offtopic at all. It shows the result of mugging-up without understanding.

Reminds me of an incident that happened in 1988:

In electronics lab, we are expected to experiment with one electronic circuit every week. Sometimes the lecturers give us the circuits, rest of the time they expect us to get it ourselves. Now, when I say get it ourselves, they obviously don't mean design it ourselves (god forbid), instead get it from seniors.

This particular week, the circuit was Bistable Multivibrator. Forget kinky thoughts, it is just a transistor version of a J-K flip-flop. Damn, I can't believe I can still remember this stuff. Oh, I didn't mug-up this stuff, that is why.

Another team from my class had already completed this circuit test successfully, so I borrowed the circuit from them. This team (of girls) were the master mug-pots of the class, they could mug-up anything they laid their eyes on.

As was my practice, I started analysing the circuit. I visualized the voltage input, and started imagining the effect like a chess move. But I hit a snag. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't deduce the final expected output. I could see the first transition, but not the reverse transition of the flip-flop. After trying everything for an hour, I took it to my favourite lecturer, the one who is capable of analysis.

Me: Sir, does this circuit work? If yes, how?
Lecturer: [Casually looks at the familiar circuit] Yes, it does. Everybody is using the same circuit for this test.
Me: Ok, then explain me how it works.

This lecturer knew I wouldn't say this casually, so he starts analysing the circuit. After 5 minutes, he leans back in wonder.

Lecturer: No this doesn't work. Where did you get this circuit?
Me: I got it from them.

I pointed to the other team who were in the same staff room talking to another lecturer. By the scared sideward glance they were giving me, I realised they were entirely aware of the drama unfolding at this lecturer's table.

Me: I got it from them because they successfully tested and got the nominal voltage reading.
Lecturer: Aha... Hello ladies, please come here.. come, come, come.

All three gingerly walk towards, with a guilty look. Their lead girl looked crestfallen.

Lecturer: So, did you complete testing this circuit?
lead girl : Yes sir...
Lecturer: This particular circuit?
lead girl : Yes sir...
Lecturer: And it worked?
lead girl : Um...
Lecturer: Tell me young lady, did it really work?
lead girl : We tried very hard, even the teaching assistant worked very hard with us. But we could never get it to work.
Lecturer: But your lab record book says it worked.
lead girl : Um.. finally the teaching assistant took pity on us and provided the expected voltage readings. We really worked very hard sir.
Lecturer: It didn't work because the circuit is wrong. Now give me your record books.

He scratched out that experiment from all the 3 record books and asked them to repeat the whole experiment with the right circuit.

lead girl : We got the circuit from the senior record book.
Lecturer: Well, it is too late to scratch out their record book.

So, this is how "learning" happened in my days. People just memorised the circuits and re-produced them in the labs and exams. If it didn't work in the lab, it was considered an anomaly and nominal values were provided by the lab instructor. And if you tried to be original and produced a working but unfamiliar circuit, you would get a big zero for that sincere effort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks