Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.34%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 89 81.65%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.83%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 10:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am from an average college
Quote:
But the arrival of two dynamic lecturers in our department re-kindled my inner engineer, and got me interested in engineering again, especially digital circuit design.
If, what you call an average college, can have two dynamic lecturers, it can't be all that bad!! All that is needed in life is to have ONE teacher who can impress you. You had TWO!!

The Sagarika Ghose article was just to indicate the source of my information about the vacuum pump inducing childbirth! I wanted to confirm whether there really is such a scene in the movie. A movie is a sequence of scenes linked together as a chain, and a chain can only be as strong as its weakest link. If such a ridiculous scene does exist in the movie, then it makes it very difficult for me to treat the movie with any kind of serious respect. And it makes me wonder whether anyone should indeed be taking this movie so seriously as to learn lessons from it, instead of treating it as just another 2.5 hours of entertainment. Watch it, get out, forget it.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

The Sagarika Ghose article was just to indicate the source of my information about the vacuum pump inducing childbirth! I wanted to confirm whether there really is such a scene in the movie. A movie is a sequence of scenes linked together as a chain, and a chain can only be as strong as its weakest link. If such a ridiculous scene does exist in the movie, then it makes it very difficult for me to treat the movie with any kind of serious respect. And it makes me wonder whether anyone should indeed be taking this movie so seriously as to learn lessons from it, instead of treating it as just another 2.5 hours of entertainment. Watch it, get out, forget it.
To confirm on your question - yes there is such a scene in the movie.

I'd also like to add that yes - 'vaccum suction' is a medically standard concept and method for childbirth, during certain situations.
Ask any gyenac and she'd tell.

It does not come out of someone's imagination, neither it is weird. Of all the people Sagarika should've known (or atleast researched).

What is shown in the movie is a little 'mirch masala' surely, converting a vaccum clearner into something to be used for the above need.
But this does not have to be taken literally as shown.

The message here is in 'being innovative' and finding solutions to problems with the situation & resources available on hand.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:40   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
A movie is a sequence of scenes linked together as a chain, and a chain can only be as strong as its weakest link. If such a ridiculous scene does exist in the movie, then it makes it very difficult for me to treat the movie with any kind of serious respect. And it makes me wonder whether anyone should indeed be taking this movie so seriously as to learn lessons from it, instead of treating it as just another 2.5 hours of entertainment. Watch it, get out, forget it.
Wrong analogy Amitoj. So if a great man has a weakness, we have to reject all his good deeds? BTW, M.K.Gandhi was a bad father... or so they say.

It was either vaccum pump or dead child & mother, what would be your choice?

Let's not trash the message of the movie based on certain corny scene.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:43   #64
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Amitoj - There are many such scenes which extrapolate the message they are trying to convey not only in this move, and I'm sure you'll agree but many movies too.

But this movie sends a quite unique message to the audience unlike any other and that is why it is not just quite entertainment. I do recommend you to watch it. If you do not find innovativeness, you will definitely find good humour in it
Old 12th January 2010, 10:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
I'd also like to add that yes - 'vaccum suction' is a medically standard concept and method for childbirth, during certain situations.
Ask any gyenac and she'd tell.
Yes and the gynea will also tell you that it is a very risky process, much more risky than forceps method, and its use is discouraged as well.
Still, i am willing to suspend belief for a while on this, but tell me, did they atleast show them taking all precautions and maintaining hygiene while doing this?
Old 12th January 2010, 10:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, thanks for taking my comments in the right spirit. (We seem to be having our own private discussion in this public forum)

We both agree that it is important to get a degree and have the safety net of a regular job. But, like you mentioned, one should not stop pursuing his passion.

The movie 3 idiots failed to inspire me, but your story definitely has. I would try to search the artist trapped inside this engineer and set him free. Thanks for the inspiration.

Regarding my comment on India, I feel that there is a lack of opportunities for people who want to pursue a career in fields other than the usual ones like engineering, medicine, management, banking, legal, civil services etc.

For example, we see so many wild-life researchers on Discovery/Nat Geo who pursue this as a full time (and well-paying) career. They are mostly from developed nations like America and Australia. In India, a person who catches snakes for wild-life/medical research is more likely to be called a snake-charmer than a scientist.

We were taught Maslov's hierarchy of needs in the 3rd year of engineering. But our education system is such that students are taught to mug up these things just to write on the answer sheet and forget about it 1 minute after the exam. There is no emphasis on applying these concepts in real life. Needless to say, I had forgotten most of it, just like most of the other subjects taught in college. Thanks for the refresher.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 12th January 2010, 10:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong analogy Amitoj. So if a great man has a weakness, we have to reject all his good deeds? BTW, M.K.Gandhi was a bad father... or so they say.

It was either vaccum pump or dead child & mother, what would be your choice?

Let's not trash the message of the movie based on certain corny scene.
I think the wrong analogy is more applicable to what you have just said. A movie is only 2 to 3 hours long and is man-made. The control over what we make is way more than what we are. In case of humans, the weaknesses one has to overcome to achieve greatness actually are a testimony to that person's achievements.

Let me give you a third choice. DONT PUT SUCH A SCENE!!! Keep it real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Amitoj - There are many such scenes which extrapolate the message they are trying to convey not only in this move, and I'm sure you'll agree but many movies too.

But this movie sends a quite unique message to the audience unlike any other and that is why it is not just quite entertainment. I do recommend you to watch it. If you do not find innovativeness, you will definitely find good humour in it
I am all for innovation and extrapolation. And if it has good humour, well, even better! But then call it what it is. A light hearted, novel, funny movie, but not a life changing experience!!
Old 12th January 2010, 11:14   #68
Team-BHP Support

I watched the movie yesterday.

Personally I found the movie insulting to teachers, students, engineers and doctors.
Plus contrary to what the director suggests the influence from Chetan Bhagat's book is simply too strong. Every memorable line from the movie is a rip off from the book.

If its not from the book then its ripped off from some other old joke. The exam room scene, the opening pen scene etc are old jokes from the internet.

And I agree with a point made early on in this thread. There is no way anyone can clear those exams without mugging and reproducing verbatim what is written in the books. Unless the exams are choose the correct answers.

During my college days, we needed to write a program down first on paper, get it initialed by the teacher and then do it on the computer. I would have the teacher hovering behind me because my programs would be atleast 70% shorter in length compared to what she taught in class. She never realized that it was the best compliment she ever gave to my programming skills.

I am lucky because my interview was sort of like the interview faced by Sharman Joshi. And almost 7 years here, I enjoy my job and love coming to office.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:15   #69
DKG
Senior - BHPian

There are no hard and fast rules on how we need to lead our lives. There are no theories you need to slot yourself into to explain where you are in life. There are no absolutes in terms of what is right and what is wrong. The popular definition of success as acquisition of wealth and/or peer group recognition and/or attainment of a personal goal is open to your own interpretation. No one on this planet can write off someone's life as worthless just because it doesn't fall in line with a popular notion of how one must live.

If you see the above you are fundamentally free. Free to explore, to choose a vocation, change it if it doesn't suit you and basically chart your own course.

What is important is that you take ownership of your life and feel responsible for all that happens to you and people around you. I see a lot of people cribbing and crying about their destiny, their country, society, friends, family just about anything they can blame for their woes. Its a sorry state to be in.

Take charge of your decisions and do something only if you believe it is relevant to your condition and state in life.

The movie I feel attempts to communicate just that. Its about being free to explore life. Experiment with the many options available to us and basically be grounded in reality. There is nothing idealistic and unreal about being true to yourself. That's just it. Do whatever you feel is appropriate as long as you are being true to yourself.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

i voted for Raju.
Atleast till now i am living like Raju(geta degree get a job). would love to be Rancho some day
Old 12th January 2010, 15:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
For me the Poll itself is wrong and I guess this was the message of the film.
What would you want your kid to be? I do not want my kid to be anyone I wanted him to be rather I willl let him decide what he wants to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
@anonymous
For that we have an option as Rancho.
with anonymous. Wanting your kid to be any one of the choices (including Rancho) is wrong. Let the kid grow up and decide himself/herself whether he/she wants to be Rancho or Raju. Though I have not yet seen the movie, from this thread, I am getting one of the message of the movie as - not casting your children into stereotypes.

Aside, this thread has inspired me to go and watch a movie in a theater after nearly 12 years. Great thread.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
with anonymous. Wanting your kid to be any one of the choices (including Rancho) is wrong. Let the kid grow up and decide himself/herself whether he/she wants to be Rancho or Raju. Though I have not yet seen the movie, from this thread, I am getting one of the message of the movie as - not casting your children into stereotypes.

Aside, this thread has inspired me to go and watch a movie in a theater after nearly 12 years. Great thread.
Guys, whats wrong with this option "Rancho - Live on your own terms "
Don't you want your kid to live on his/her own terms? Or say decide what he want to be?
I am not saying that you force him to be like rancho. Instead the option means that you want your kid to be free to decide what he/she wants.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
For example, we see so many wild-life researchers on Discovery/Nat Geo who pursue this as a full time (and well-paying) career. They are mostly from developed nations like America and Australia. In India, a person who catches snakes for wild-life/medical research is more likely to be called a snake-charmer than a scientist.
Again, I'd disagree. The awareness is really really high these days. And yes most of these researchers might not make it as the host of the show, but they do play a big role and are well recognized too. For example,

BBC Earth Explorer : Lion-tailed macaques < Kalyan Varma Journal

I am just refering to Kalyan here because I know him personally.

Actually, I'd like to think that this is the best time we ever had. India is open to new ideas, new concepts and you're accepted in the society because that is the biggest fear for most people (as portrayed in the movie). It most probably is your fear of your folks not approving of what you do and which in turn their fear of society's approval and acceptance.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:48   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
India is not a country where you can follow you passion. You have to let the things go be it love of life or your passion towards some stream. Thats why my view on 3 Idiots in " hindi moveis thread " is negative. I have tried to fight system only to lose.
Well then why don't you apply to institutes abroad? I'm sure there's a way out. If you're passionate about it, these are minor obtacles dude!
Old 12th January 2010, 19:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I kept looking at options where I can work as I liked, and not necessarily for more money. This is how one pursues happiness, it may take a few years, or take a life time.
Samurai, there is no one solution that fits the bill when it comes to pursuing happiness. It is an individual's choice as DKG aptly puts in his post below. For someone, happiness could be excelling in whatever he/she is doing. It could be as simple (or difficult ???) as making a personal choice of being happy or unhappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There are no hard and fast rules on how we need to lead our lives.
If you see the above you are fundamentally free. Free to explore, to choose a vocation, change it if it doesn't suit you and basically chart your own course.
Do whatever you feel is appropriate as long as you are being true to yourself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks