Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you want your kid to be?
Chatur - Mug up and be successful 8 7.34%
Rancho - Live on your own terms 89 81.65%
Farhaan - Do whatever your folks say is good for you 2 1.83%
Raju - Just get a degree and get a good job 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 18:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

I just remembered an incident from my college days. This didn't happen in my class (E&C), this happened in the Electrical department.

- They had this particular lab in which the students performed experiments in batches of 4.
- Second year students were accommodated in 2 hostels.

Now there was one particular batch of 4 students in Electrical department - 2 of them were in one hostel and the other 2 in the other hostel.

This batch of 4 students performed an experiment together in the lab. Next week they were required to submit the file for checking.

Now 2 of these students copied the readings from one guy and the other 2 copies the readings from some other guy. Because of this, the characteristic curve (graph) corresponding to the experiment was different in their files.

When the prof was checking the files, he noticed the strange characteristic curve in the files of 2 students. So, he asked all 4 to open their files and show the characteristic curve. When he found 2 different sets of characteristic curves in the files of students who performed the experiment together, he asked them how this happened. The conversation was something like this:

Prof: Bahut weeks se dekh raha hu, ye ajeeb si curve bana ke laa rahe ho tum log. Kaha se tope rahe ho bhai log ? (I have been observing since a few weeks, you guys are bringing this strange curve. From where are you copying this stuff brothers ?)

Students: Sir wo... (mumbles something)

Prof: Arey topna hi hai to sahi jagah se tope kar laaya karo ! (At least copy from a proper source)

Students: Ok sir... (Slightly embarrassed)

Prof: Aur ye do logo ki curve thik hai aur do logo ki galat, ye kaise hua bhai ? Experiment to saath hi kiya tha na ? (How come 2 guys are having right curve and other 2 got it wrong ? All of you did the experiment together ?)

Students: Sir experiment to saath hi kiya tha. (Sir we performed the experiment together)

Prof: To phir curve different kyu aa rahi hai ? (Then why are the curves different ?)

Students: Sir actually hum alag alag hostels mein rehte hein. (Sir we stay in different hostels)

Prof: (Confused) To kya ? (So what ?)

Students: Sir actually hostels bahut duur duur hein. (Sir actually the hostels are far apart)

Prof: (Irritated) Hostels duur hein to curve badal jaayegi ? (Does the curve change if the hostels are far apart ?)

Students: Sorry sir.

Prof: Repeat the experiment.

The 4 students got away easily because the profs in electrical department were quite lenient.

Had this happened in our Electronics department, the guys would never have completed engineering. The profs in our department were real sadists.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 16th January 2010, 19:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Things to learn from 3 idiots.
how not to make a movie and not give credit to the author whos book the movie was based on.
well imo the movie was poorly made from a critics point of view(although the views expressed in the movie are intentionally good) and was made with one thing in mind commercial success.
Old 16th January 2010, 19:49   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
how not to make a movie and not give credit to the author whos book the movie was based on.
I read FPS earlier and watched the movie too. i can see inspiration from the book. but i won't call it a copy of the book. its too different to be called 'based upon' or copy of book.

harry potter series, da vinci code, angels and demons can be called as movies thats based on respective books not 3 idiots. Its different.

just my opinion.
Old 17th January 2010, 23:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I read FPS earlier and watched the movie too. i can see inspiration from the book. but i won't call it a copy of the book. its too different to be called 'based upon' or copy of book.

harry potter series, da vinci code, angels and demons can be called as movies thats based on respective books not 3 idiots. Its different.

just my opinion.
thats only one of the reasons why i dint like the movie.
the director and the producer have picked up jokes and scenes from old adds and even taken inspiration from some sms forwards.
there should be some sense of originality atleast.
Somehow this seemed to me as Munnabhai part 3 thats it.
Old 18th January 2010, 00:09   #110
BHPian

I agree !!

I didnt watch the movie. I decided not to give my money to the producers who steal ideas from someone else, and not give due credit or fee.

Indian people should support Chetan Bhagat, or else we lose great people in our country.

Instead, the uneducated populace is giving away their money to Amir Khan so that he can get richer.
Old 18th January 2010, 00:15   #111
Team-BHP Support

I think we can all agree that not everybody will understand this movie.

These was this movie called Revolver. While many were applauding it as brilliant, I couldn't make head or tail of it.
Old 18th January 2010, 07:17   #112
Senior - BHPian

well its not a problem understanding the movie.
the concepts are very clear but imo a director like Anurag Kashyap would have done far more justice to the book and film than Rajkumar Hirani.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Here is what i had to say about the movie.

I saw a lot of me in the movie, My dad always wanted to make me a engineer and i had no clue what to become. I liked to fiddle around a lot with machines and electronic items, so i also thought this is going to be the right decision. My first reality check came in terms of 3 back papers in my first sem, For the papers, Math for which I never took tuitions for, For physics, I was feliceted in school for achieving highest marks in 11th and for Engineering Drawing I was good on. I had a cousin brother to compete with as there was a silent race between us, he was in the number one college under Kerala university in mechanical engg(which was not sort after much that time) and i was at the number 2 college with electronics and communications(which was of high demand) and we did not talk for many months due to this rivalry. I remember the second time i proudly scooted the physics supplementary paper as the stress was too much to handle and i travelled 70kms to watch a Shahrukh movie, first day first show, btw who i was not much fond of.

Like every junior i had to go through my share of ragging and trust me in my college it was almost there till the time we reached the final year some seniors were really sad people, as they had a lot of stress in life.

This is customary and i have seen every boss to be a complete jerk if his boss is a jerk. We used to have a huge abseentism and attrition problems, I figured out that most of these leaves were unplanned and uninformed, reason managers were not approachable, i was very approachable so people used to tell me in advance that, there is a party and i need a leave for that and trust me the reasons used to be extremely silly but they used to ask and I used to listen, even now my people call me from my previous organizations asking me questions about how to tackle a situation. I feel successful now!!

I once saved one of professors from getting beaten by a local and since i knew this local guy i was at the principal’s office suspected to be one of the gang. This also affected my internals and one teacher gladly gave me low sessionals saying i did not submit my assignment, while i was one of the first few to do so. Later when i showed her that assignment from her office only, she was like nothing can be done now as the sessionals have already reached university.

I have heard teachers getting very nasty, throwing torn assignments/sheets on students especially in the dept my better half was in.

I am not saying this left me on the third floor on my college deciding to say good bye. While i taught me something like "Aall izz well", "Lite le le yaar", I was not someone who got into infy or TCS through campus selection, All my friends who did are successful in their own way today and i am successful in my own way, for me buying a huge house or a really long car was not the dream, but to spend the rest of my life with the girl i loved and with a job which at least enables me to feed her three meals a day along with a decent shelter was my only aim.

Today i feel i am successful, When we arrive in our own car, when i look at my house full of all gadgets and gizmos that at one point i could only dream of, I feel successful when she has a smile on her face thinking about the 5km walk we used to take every day, to spend time with each other in college.

This movie for me was a walk through the memory lane, there are many places where life gives us a choice and we always regret for not taking a particular road rather than taking one. This was a reminder to all the parents who see their dreams through their children's eyes, It’s an eye opener to all the teachers to become more human, as amir khan rightly mentioned we have not yet designed a machine to measure the mental stress one goes through. It’s a warning to all the students to better learn things with the right meaning than mugging up, this will only make you a good scorer and becoming a good student and a great human takes a lot beyond good grades.

Honestly I loved the movie, and would love to buy a DVD when its out.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th January 2010 at 10:37.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

So, i finally saw the movie yesterday.

It was good entertainment but i still dont think it makes for serious cinema. The problem the movie tries to address has its origins somewhere else entirely. While the idea of following your heart sounds good, it is an idea that needs to take hold during the school years. It is the rote learning adopted in the schools that makes students incapable of "following their heart" when it comes to choosing college. But i guess addressing this problem at school level would not have gotten so many people enthusiastic about the movie.

Many jokes in the movie are from ancient times. The one about pen in space vs pencil is an old NASA vs USSR joke. Then the induction motor joke is probably the very first joke you hear when you enter an engineering college.

Some main points in the movie that were straight lifts from the novel:
1. Rancho falling for director's daughter
2. Director's son committed suicide that he didnt know about. I think this is a key element of the story and is a direct lift from the book.
3. Stealing question papers.

I am sure this is not a complete list because i read FPS long back.

So, i still stand by what i said earlier. Its a nice entertaining movie but to call it a "life changing movie" or a "wake up" movie is a huge stretch.

Last edited by amitoj : 18th January 2010 at 10:29.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:37   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

6. Sharman Joshi's character is shown to get a well paying job even though he told the interview panel in very clear words that he attempted a suicide, urinated on Dean's residence's gate and refused to follow a diplomatic attitude towards clients. This does not happen in real life.

Rohan,
Bangalore
this reminded me of several incidents from my school days (IITD). One of our senior (2 years senior batch) got into the last stage of HLL recruitment [HLL or Hindustan Lever at that time used to be one of the biggie jobs with offers in management directly for IITians. They used to have several rounds in their recruitment process with final round being Persoanl Interviews with Higher Management people] So this guy (call him Mr. X) somehow got into the final round of PI (heard he had quite outstanding extra-curriculars) and was called for the in-person interview. This is how it went (its totally hearsay and not first-person recount but it is true)
After the initial greetings formalities and some general personal questions:
Interviewer(call him Mr. I): asks first technical question to guage his technical knowledge
Mr. X: gives some unsatisfactory answers
Mr. I: Ok so second technical question
Mr. X: again fumbles or just rambles something
Mr. I: (by now frustrated as X has only answered maybe 1 or 2 and has been unsatisfactory mostly) tenth or so (and the last) technical question
Mr. X: Again not so convincing.

So finally the interviewer decides enough is enough and tells him the interview is over but he wud like to ask one more thing. In his CV X had mentioned his hobby was "to Quote" on things! Very unusual and interesting. So the interviewer wanted him to quote something on his performance! Pat came the thing:
X: "Fools can ask more questions than wise men can answer"!

He got the job! After all, it was a management job!

Theres another incident that happened with a very good friend (and hostel mate) of mine. He did his B.Tech in Mechanical Engg and appeared for interviews with a leading software company (based in Gurgaon) that offered almost the best Software job (salary wise) at that time. During the interview he wasked 3 features of C++. He gave the answer (inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation etc or C++ gurus can correct me if I am wrong). Next came the counter question: what is polymorphism? He said: Sir I had 2 mins - I learnt the name. If I had few more mins I wud have learnt what polymorphism is!
they were really impressed with his sense of humor (he did get that job and is nowdays Director of Engg with a medical appliances corp.)

But all was not rosy. One guy (M.Tech student) at IITD blasted his interviewer (one of the top companies in the world in signal processing): I think you need to go back to school and brush up your basics! This company just blacklisted IITD and didnt visit the campus during our time!

Ah! Campus rumblings!!
Old 18th January 2010, 11:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am not saying this left me on the third floor on my college deciding to say good bye. While i taught me something like "Aall izz well", "Lite le le yaar", I was not someone who got into infy or TCS through campus selection, All my friends who did are successful in their own way today and i am successful in my own way, for me buying a huge house or a really long car was not the dream, but to spend the rest of my life with the girl i loved and with a job which at least enables me to feed her three meals a day along with a decent shelter was my only aim.

Today i feel i am successful, When we arrive in our own car, when i look at my house full of all gadgets and gizmos that at one point i could only dream of, I feel successful when she has a smile on her face thinking about the 5km walk we used to take every day, to spend time with each other in college.
Share the same feelings .

I was very passionate about analog circuits. I used to top in the subjects in this area and wanted to do post graduation in this subject. But I let this go as 'other' priorities made me opt for a programmer job at an MNC for which I was campus-selected in my 6th semester. For me, it was about making a choice between the girl I loved and my passion towards analog electronics. I opted for my girl, and today, when I look back, I feel successful because I am happy. Rather I choose to be happy.

BTW, in the movie, Rancho does not make this choice. Rather he is forced to make the opposite choice. He pursues excellence, but was he happy when it comes to the girl?
Old 18th January 2010, 11:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

We are getting slightly off-topic here, but I'll still post my views on campus recruitment.

In my opinion, most companies are not at all bothered about what you learnt in college. In the campus interviews, candidates are judged by their mental ability, communication skills, desire/ability to learn new things and having a positive attitude towards work.

Hence it is not surprising that a student is selected even if he didn't give any correct answers to technical questions. Since the example quoted above is for a management job, I guess he was selected because of his communication skills and presence of mind.

Again it is not surprising for a student to be selected in a software company because he had little knowledge of C++ language. He might have impressed the interviewers with his programming skills. Remember programming is much more than knowing a language.

In fact, a very reputed software services company visited our campus and during the pre-placement talk, they made a statement that we will select you even if you have never seen or touched a computer before. If you have the mental ability and desire to learn, we can train you to be a software engineer.

But I am not willing to buy the story that a reputed company would hire a student with less marks, who has attempted suicide, misbehaved with his college dean and is too rigid to change his straightforward attitude even while interacting with the company's clients (Sharman Joshi's character).

This is sending a wrong message to the younger generation. I am a great fan of Aamir Khan and Raju Hirani, but I hate to say that they have not done their research properly before making this movie.

3 idiots is just a comedy movie meant for entertainment, people should not be taking any messages from this movie except the following:

- parents should not force their kids into a particular stream
- people should try to pursue things they are passionate about

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 18th January 2010, 12:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But I am not willing to buy the story that a reputed company would hire a student with less marks, who has attempted suicide, misbehaved with his college dean and is too rigid to change his straightforward attitude even while interacting with the company's clients (Sharman Joshi's character).

Rohan,
Bangalore
Rohan, After all this is a movie, and trust me when he was asked if he could be little diplomatic i felt i would say yes and trust me we have all gulped our principles down when life takes us to such situations. The moment the interviewer said i liked your attitude as everyone else would say things to please us. Do not go by the superficial message, trust me about 80% of people will get wrongly inspired by this and throw unnecassary attitude at the interviewer. This scene was about a guy who had made a difficult choice of jumping off the deans office than getting resticated or giving in his friends. He had huge responsibilities back home but still he chose to end all this by taking the esiest way, his awekening happens in the hospital and remember he is not afraid any more, to drive the message deeper into the viewers mind filims have to be little Exaggerating at times, After all its just a movie yaar, enjoy and have fun, Why so seriously debating . Some movies touch some people's
hearts some doesn't, whats the big deal. I am sure the creater of the thread must been inspired because he felt a need to change. Same like another member who is extreamly angry with the situations in India and who took a chance to bash the system even in this thread like he did in the dubai thread. Guys it depends a lot on the flavour of the day as well.

BTW: No offences to anyone, just felt like taking part in this debate.

Pramod
Old 18th January 2010, 12:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are getting slightly off-topic here, but I'll still post my views on campus recruitment.

Rohan,
Bangalore
My post was just some random incidents (those campus days) that came back to mind when I saw that scene in the film and is really not meant to convey anything (and certainly not a dismissal of your notes about the film). Of course I dont think anybody can get a job doing what Sharman did in that scene and job interviews (esp for freshers) dont go like that.

Most people (freshers esp) tend to be very nervous about job interviews and its difficult to have people maintaining a sense of humor (or whatever you call it) as you never know what the reaction of the interviewer could/would be!
Old 18th January 2010, 13:35   #120
BHPian

If 3 idiots was make like a art or serious film, most of us would not had seen the movie.
The purpose of making it such a light movie was to reach the maximum people.

And it is doing wonders. The message is very clear and loud, if one had the ears n eyes to understand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks